The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 April 2019, 02:59 AM   #1
rolexboyz
"TRF" Member

rolex datejust V serial (2009) question

Does anyone know if rolex datejust case and the bezel (fluted) and the jubilee bracelet has any design change/improvement between 2009 and 2018 ?

What I know is just in 2018 jubilee bracelet is upgraded to use adjustable clasp and case become slimmer. But I am more interested in the situation prior to that.

Also, I wonder if V serial (2009) would have the green hologram sticker (attached pic) ? My understanding is this green hologram sticker is only there before year 2000 ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScreenShot021.jpg (21.1 KB, 210 views)
rolexboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2019, 03:42 AM   #2
dannyp
Banned

I can’t answer the majority of your questions offhand, but I can tell you this: I purchased a V serial Exp II in fall of 2009 and there was no such sticker (unless dealer removed prior to shipping, which I doubt.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2019, 05:28 PM   #3
rolexboyz
"TRF" Member

thank you Danny.

I am surprise not many people know about datejust development. I have asked this question in watchuseek forum as well, no one answers so far.

I am aligned with your view , I am actually quite skeptical about the hologram sticker for 2009 serial. I have read somewhere that this hologram sticker have been discontinued long before 2009.
But I am still asking this because there is a pre-owned watch that I really like (the caseback pic is for this watch), they are trusted dealer but they have no cert and when i see this hologram sticker I am worried about this watch has some after market modification. These days I found even we need to be careful even with trusted dealer.
Old 3 April 2019, 05:35 PM   #4
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexboyz View Post
Does anyone know if rolex datejust case and the bezel (fluted) and the jubilee bracelet has any design change/improvement between 2009 and 2018 ?

What I know is just in 2018 jubilee bracelet is upgraded to use adjustable clasp and case become slimmer. But I am more interested in the situation prior to that.

Also, I wonder if V serial (2009) would have the green hologram sticker (attached pic) ? My understanding is this green hologram sticker is only there before year 2000 ?
If I remember the green holograms stickers started to disappear around 2007 and V serials ran from 2008 into 2010,so IMHO it could be possible,and only purely cosmetic changes to the DJ range since introduction of the cal 3135 in 1988..

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2019, 09:26 PM   #5
THC
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16610M
The model number is accurate to two tone V serials
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2019, 11:22 PM   #6
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexboyz View Post
thank you Danny.

I am surprise not many people know about datejust development. I have asked this question in watchuseek forum as well, no one answers so far.

I am aligned with your view , I am actually quite skeptical about the hologram sticker for 2009 serial. I have read somewhere that this hologram sticker have been discontinued long before 2009.
But I am still asking this because there is a pre-owned watch that I really like (the caseback pic is for this watch), they are trusted dealer but they have no cert and when i see this hologram sticker I am worried about this watch has some after market modification. These days I found even we need to be careful even with trusted dealer.
I took another look at the pic you posted and have an alternate theory:

Perhaps someone along the way (other than this seller) tried to pass a pre-owned watch off as brand new and in doing so, applied stickers that didn't originally come on the watch. If you look closely, there is also a protective seal on the side of the watch. You can see the rim of the cutout around the crown, and the tab to pull it off along the lug.

If this watch is pre-owned without box/papers, it seems unlikely it would have all of its stickers on no matter what, so my working hypothesis is that when applying stickers/protective seals, the person doing so was unaware of what should have been on that particular watch in the first place.

Do you have other photos?
Old 4 April 2019, 12:16 AM   #7
rolexboyz
"TRF" Member

yes there are more photos.
I am just worried this watch has been altered but at glance it does look like factory design.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScreenShot024.jpg (16.7 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg ScreenShot023.jpg (50.1 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg ScreenShot022.jpg (46.0 KB, 101 views)
Old 4 April 2019, 07:24 AM   #8
dannyp
Banned

My question is still why something being represented as pre-owned has the protective seals on the sides intact. Did someone attempt to pass it off as new by reapplying them? Is the photo not, in fact, the same watch?

Dial looks like the images I found of a Jubilee dial from that watch, but I'm never a good judge as to whether a diamond dial is original or aftermarket...
Old 4 April 2019, 06:04 PM   #9
rolexboyz
"TRF" Member

Dannyp, are you referring to the plastic wrap on the watch? You are very observant
I didn't notice that exists, but this dealer usually wrapped all pre-owned watch with plastic to protect the watch from scratches.
The photo should be the same watch. I have seen it in their store (they do have physical store with all the rolexes). My primary worry is this is an older watch than 2009 (due to that green sticker) that has been altered, but maybe I am wrong. I heard altered/after market modification rolex won't service the watch.

But as this watch has polished lugs and the rolex rolex engraving in inner part, and hidden clasp jubilee, so it still justify it's from 2009. I am just totally confused.
Old 5 April 2019, 02:50 AM   #10
dannyp
Banned

Well, if this shop applies plastic for protection, perhaps it also applied the sticker to the case back, as it had a protective purpose, too (preventing the clasp and case back from scratching each other). It could be an aftermarket sticker, or perhaps the dealer had access to some old, unused ones floating around.

Have you asked about this specifically?
Old 9 April 2019, 04:28 PM   #11
rolexboyz
"TRF" Member

hi Danny, I went on to the shop to count the number of links it is around 19 links, so I don't think it is new.
New should be 24 links around.