The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 April 2019, 09:28 AM   #1
lowmandfl
"TRF" Member

What do you value more?

I was wondering how other members view purchasing a new watch with the current scarcity of popular models.

Assuming you have an established relationship with one, or multiple ADs, and have your name on their waiting lists, would you pick up a watch from a new AD if the opportunity arose? OR, do you value the relationship you have so much with your own AD that you're willing to wait for the watch regardless of time (months or years)?

If you were searching for a specific model and stopped into a new shop, or happened to call a store and they had the model and were willing to sell it to you (MSRP of course), would you take that opportunity and purchase the watch, or continue waiting for your own AD to come thru for you?

Just curious what's most important to others. For me, I'd probably buy the watch from a new AD and enjoy it. On the plus side, you're starting a new relationship which gives you an additional contact if you want another watch in the future.
lowmandfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2019, 09:33 AM   #2
Goldnlivin
"TRF" Member

It all depends on your relationship with one. I can see SOME people who have years of history will most likely stick with their AD (they generally also get what they want within a timely fashion). If you were traveling and came across an AD that had a watch you wanted, you would be stupid not to buy it (assuming it's one of the hot models). Loyalty is important but get what you want. I value my happiness and desires more than a relationship with an AD. That's why I buy from an AD AND grey market. Time is money, literally :-)
Goldnlivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2019, 09:34 AM   #3
Ken B
"TRF" Member

Watch: To many to count
I just find other brands and models I like. Enjoying my Tudors more and more and at a third the price of a Rolex. Love my Breitling and Omega too
Tudor Black Bay Bronze 43mm
KRB Imaging and Photography
Ken B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2019, 10:43 AM   #4
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
For me, it all depends upon the availability of the piece.
Given that I highly value the relationship I have with my preferred supplier, I may be inclined to give them a quick call to check their estimate of my status "on the list" whilst declaring my good fortune at locating the desired piece with the opportunity to purchase.
I never pay over the list price either, so everybody is on a level playing field even if some may have a natural advantage over others on the field at the time.
Given the above, I would expect my preferred supplier to say if I am "at the top of the list" or not and tell me to go for it or alternatively hang in with them and they'll see me right.
I trust them completely.

Sometimes you simply have to take the shot when you see it.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2019, 06:49 PM   #5
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
I don't give 2c for a relationship with an AD.

If I want a watch I look for the best deal I can get and buy it.
Old 12 April 2019, 06:53 PM   #6
Rogdogg
2024 Pledge Member

Availability of watch and the best price I can get it for come first and foremost for me.
Everything being equal I would prefer to stick with the AD I like and know but I wouldn't play any games with them. If a new AD had a better deal for me or a better lead time on a watch I would go with the new guy.
Old 12 April 2019, 07:15 PM   #7
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
I don't give 2c for a relationship with an AD.

If I want a watch I look for the best deal I can get and buy it.
Have to agree this so called AD relationship is mainly bullsh#te, all ADs are just a business like any other business to sell and make a profit.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2019, 08:17 PM   #8
Andad

Watch: A few.
J Farren Price is the Rolex AD where I am.

Over the years I have bought:
Two Longines VHT’s.
Omega TT chronograph.
Omega TT ladies.
Rolex Daytona SS white dial.
Rolex 16610.
Rolex Milgauss GV.
Rolex ladies SS DJ.

My purchases mean nothing to them.

Their loss.

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2019, 08:29 PM   #9
Stew7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega, Rolex
With items like these, I care about who can actually fulfill my order. I wouldn't wait 6 months for a car dealer to get me a particular car when I can buy from dealer B right now for the same price.

Sales is about customer service. If you're not servicing me as a customer, I go somewhere else that can.
Stew7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2019, 08:37 PM   #10
Spoonage

I've bought a BLNR, SubC, DJ36, Exp, DaytonaC, BBN, Ranger, as well as various jewelry for the wife. Next Rolex or Tudor will be from them. They were able to get my white DaytonaC to me in ~ 3 months at MSRP and no $$$ down, all others where in stock for me when I wanted them so I have no reason to go elsewhere at the moment.
Spoonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2019, 08:40 PM   #11
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent Clock
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2019, 08:42 PM   #12
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
I'm for getting what I want/need and not worrying about the past. If a relationship won't produce the results I need than it's not much of a relationship.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2019, 08:44 PM   #13
Jonesy2099
"TRF" Member

I think building a relationship with a dealer in the hope that they’ll eventually get you the watch you desire with no possibility of a discount is not worth it. There are plenty of other watch options out there. But in terms of your question, yes, I’d go with whichever dealer offered me the watch I wanted first.
Jonesy2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2019, 08:45 PM   #14
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
The AD's are running a business and they will act in a manner that is consistent with achieving the ends the business requires. I think too many people put too much into the AD relationship piece. I have a great AD but if they can not supply an item and I can buy it else where for the same price, I will. No hard feelings. Get your watch and enjoy it.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2019, 08:51 PM   #15
myusernamez
"TRF" Member

My AD told me I'm on the list but if I am able to source it somewhere else at MSRP I am free to do it, but he will do his best to get me one.

I'm happy with such an agreement that is equally beneficial and the terms are clear. He gets my business when he can - he doesn't when he can't.
Old 12 April 2019, 09:05 PM   #16
Brew
"TRF" Member

Wait? While the AD you're waiting for, to build this relationship, sells "your" watch to someone she values more? Yeah, I'm gonna pass on that.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2019, 09:09 PM   #17
myusernamez
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy2099 View Post
I think building a relationship with a dealer in the hope that they’ll eventually get you the watch you desire with no possibility of a discount is not worth it. There are plenty of other watch options out there. But in terms of your question, yes, I’d go with whichever dealer offered me the watch I wanted first.
That is assuming you only buy watches or only one watch. There is more to life then watches of course.

We have a family AD that sells all kind of jewellery. We started buying there as brothers and TAG watches but we buy engagement rings, necklaces and such also. We do not do this because we hope to get a watch one day or because we are forced to spend X amount.

We do because the service is great, the after-service even better because they treat us well and give us good prices and good value for money. We support SME and we support him because he deserves it. We can enter and talk or have a coffee any day and they are there to help us when we need it. A mutually beneficial relationship is what it's about which currently lasts over multiple generations already. They also had numerous referrals via us.

I would stay away from a Rolex only AD and I would stay away from an AD that forces you to spend to get a certain item as those are one-way.

You all act as if watches is what it's all about when having a relationship with an AD. I promise you I will have move up the list faster than a guy coming in and buying 4 watches in the hope to get a Pepsi. My AD puts relationship, return customer and respect above someone wanting to splash 15K to get a watch and never come back. They are humans after all and want to be treated like that also. They make enough not having to sell to some show-off splashing some cash for a Pepsi because there is always someone with a bigger wallet then you anyway and they know it.

Society nowadays is all about getting stuff at a mouse click. We are spoiled but with that comes the fact that some people, treat others with a lack of respect just because they know they can get their stuff online or somewhere else making them feel superior for some reason. Half the replies on TRF are living proof of that "I just spend 100% above MSRP but hey I got the watch the next day and I'm enjoying it so f* the AD that can't get me the watch I want when I want it" ...
Old 12 April 2019, 09:09 PM   #18
Jonesy2099
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
Wait? While the AD you're waiting for, to build this relationship, sells "your" watch to someone she values more? Yeah, I'm gonna pass on that.
Ha, nicely said!
Jonesy2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2019, 09:11 PM   #19
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I've been around the block more than a few times and even I get FOMOed and tempted to buy something rare when it is suddenly presented to me, but the high soon wears off as my experience tells me I will only keep the watches I choose, not the watches that choose me.

It also works the other way, I have been very keen on the new SMP which was hard to find in Dec, I had to order one and it took 3 weeks. Then yesterday I passed the same AD and it was in the window and that did put me slightly off the watch tbh. Not enough to not want to buy it but the heady gloss was taken off with it now being so easily buyable.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2019, 09:13 PM   #20
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Ideally, if you have a solid relationship with your AD you’re getting the watches you want. If I saw a piece I really wanted elsewhere I’d buy it, but speaking personally, that’s unlikely to happen.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2019, 09:35 PM   #21
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Relationship with an AD? I don't think there is such a thing. An AD may size you up and try and calculate how many and how much in sales they can get from you if they sell you this watch or should they save it for some other customer. They don't sell to you because they like you. They like your $$. Not to say some are not nice people.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2019, 09:56 PM   #22
LooseCann0n
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona,Pepsi,SD4K
In my experience the relationship is from a previous time - the “Golden Age of the AD” if you will, where ordinary people (with ££ to spend) could go and buy a watch, even (gasp) as SS model with relatively little issue; perhaps a few weeks/month wait. Unless you are looking for a Daytona the exception that proves the rule.
My understanding is that this Age is over since 2015/16 and we are in a new era where the ADs have never had it so good and have forgotten about new relationships, the new blood where future sales could come from.

For those who have forged relationships in the GAAD they will have relatively easy access to SS watches at reasonable <1 yr time periods. Good luck to those and I say that with a modicum of jealousy.

For those of us that started liking Rolex after this point we can barely get in the door with our cash as it seems there is someone “better” than us they want to sell to. Hopefully those people will buy other overpriced jewellery/DJ/DD etc in the future/past but how do the ADs know that I won’t do the same/more. Does the fact I am looking for a SS GMT today mean that I am not looking to add a Playtona tomorrow? Or a DJ for the wife who is having a large milestone birthday next week..etc.

No matter, for those of us there is the willing grey, who welcome us and our ££ with open arms and loving smiles. Sure you have to pay more (sometimes a lot more) but they don’t want me to drop in, send flowers or cards regularly. They just want the ££ in my hand and we then part ways with a fare-thee-well.

If I then wish to get a Playtona or DJ for the missus then the same grey will offer me a decent discount.

So I don’t have my name on the card, who care as I don’t wear this around my neck; it is in the loft and only dusted off if there is a problem with the watch (in which case Rolex will fix even if it had Mickey on the card).

On the whole am happy to pay extra to reap the discount. Unfortunately for me, SS sports are what I want (for now) so more costly for me. However, once I pay 20% less for my Platinum DD I will reap the rewards. Not to mention all the savings on chocolates/flowers in the meantime!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LooseCann0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 12:52 AM   #23
ppalasthira
Banned

Watch: SubC.5711.D500
No AD relationship whatsoever.

Never have and never will.

Bundle a bunch of slow movers to get a hottie? No thanks. I’d rather pay the premium and get what I really want and be done with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ppalasthira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 03:59 AM   #24
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

At the end of the day it’s all about AD relationships!!!!
You have two sides to this game. The AD aside and the EVERYTHING ELSE side including grey. Even grey they get their watches through a “relationship” with ADs or from customers who have a “relationship” with ADs
The question is how do you have a relationship or what is the definition of a relationship?!!
And that’s where it gets all muddy and different from one AD to another. I think you will have the following types

1- honest no waiting lists
2- will sell to “preferred” customers ie: big spenders and buying bundles
3- will sell straight to grey, unloading slow movers along with hot watches

See then the issue starts and ends with ADs
I am fortunate enough to have a good relationship with my AD but they are not all the same!!