The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 15 June 2019, 06:30 PM   #1
MrEleven
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega-Rolex-AP
Aquanaut question

Looking to get a 5167a next, have never owned a patek before so have no relationship with a ad and i had called my local ad about a year ago and was told the waiting list was closed.
What is the best way to get on a waiting list and how long can I expect to be on that list ?
Also how would i get to try one on, pretty sure this is the watch to complete my collection but never tried one on so theres the sligh chance it might not be for me.
MrEleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2019, 06:33 PM   #2
Pocosso
"TRF" Member

Watch: RO/ROO/PAM/DAYTONA
I would buy it from a reseller. You will never loose your value even if you buy overpriced.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk Pro
ROO(Ti)-RO-ROC
PAN0055-PAM351-PAM733-PAM721
Type XX-XXI
Pocosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2019, 06:49 PM   #3
watchbowl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocosso View Post
I would buy it from a reseller. You will never loose your value even if you buy overpriced.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk Pro

This. Would be a very long wait even if you managed to get on a list. Just pay the grey price and enjoy the watch now
watchbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2019, 07:51 PM   #4
MrEleven
"TRF" Member

What is the going price for a new one ? Ones i am seeing are around £25000-£30000 on a £15000 watch. Dont think i could bring myself it pay over the odds. Recently bought a AP because I refused to pay just a few thousand over retail on a rolex diver so dont see me going grey for the patek.
If i could get on a waiting list are we talking 5+ years ?
Old 15 June 2019, 08:38 PM   #5
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Rock and hard place
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2019, 09:56 PM   #6
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Stop by a Gray dealer to try it on for size, and may as well buy it there if you like it. :)
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2019, 10:21 PM   #7
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
In most instances a list means very little. With demand exceeding supply, ADs cant always sell the watch to the next name on a piece of paper. They are forced by the brands to stock 90% of models that dont move so without a purchase history or some type of bundling it is pretty difficult to get. I am not saying I am an advocate of this but this is the current environment we are dealing with.

"The best watch in the world is the one that's on your wrist." Morgan King

"Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" Rocky Balboa
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2019, 10:34 PM   #8
bonsai-man
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEleven View Post
What is the going price for a new one ? Ones i am seeing are around £25000-£30000 on a £15000 watch. Dont think i could bring myself it pay over the odds. Recently bought a AP because I refused to pay just a few thousand over retail on a rolex diver so dont see me going grey for the patek.
Go grey. Honestly, with no history and in the UK 7-10 years, if ever. Realistically you need to factor in price rises along the way as well. Expect to pay at least 20-30% more at RRP at that time. Also this model has been out a while, if the model is discontinued while waiting, expect used prices to go up and the new replacement will be even harder to get.

Maybe not what you want to hear but facts I'm afraid.
bonsai-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2019, 10:40 PM   #9
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
There is no generic answer as every AD will have their own wait list and depending on the AD the wait list is flexible to the degree that the term wait list is misleading in some instances.

If you don't want to go grey you should visit a number of ADs and see how far you get. I also had to shop around some 3 years ago when the local ADs didn't fancy me ordering a blue 5711 as a first new Patek.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2019, 10:49 PM   #10
s.m.b.
"TRF" Member

The 5167 is obviously hard to obtain. My AD mentioned he was being allocated one 5167A this year, and will receive 4 5712/1As and 3 5711/1As. Without an existing relationship, as others have mentioned, used may be your best bet. All that said, it's well worth pursuing. Mine sees lots of wrist time, as it strikes a nice balance between a Nautilus and a Calatrava... Near perfect!
Old 15 June 2019, 10:51 PM   #11
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
If a guy... flash some cash, build a relationship...sometimes that means buying a small watch. Sometimes that means buying 50-100k worth of other watches.

If a girl...walk in smoking hot.

J/k. Difficult to just walk in and ask...but doesn't hurt to try...Its part of the fun. If u never try.
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2019, 03:54 AM   #12
SL BRABUS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Only Rolex & Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
If a guy... flash some cash, build a relationship...sometimes that means buying a small watch. Sometimes that means buying 50-100k worth of other watches.

If a girl...walk in smoking hot.
OR.....

No offense to the OP..... The truth hurt........

You got to ask yourself are you special......??

Meaning why an AD should sell you a desirable piece.....

Just go gray or look for something else besides the 5167.....

"SL BRABUS" aka BenzWorld Undercover Moderator
SL BRABUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2019, 04:44 AM   #13
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL BRABUS View Post
OR.....

No offense to the OP..... The truth hurt........

You got to ask yourself are you special......??

Meaning why an AD should sell you a desirable piece.....

Just go gray or look for something else besides the 5167.....

Bro. That’s just to get on the wait list
Old 16 June 2019, 05:19 AM   #14
SL BRABUS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Only Rolex & Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
Bro. That’s just to get on the wait list
So now you have to pay to get rape..........

"SL BRABUS" aka BenzWorld Undercover Moderator
SL BRABUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2019, 06:24 AM   #15
ufboy73
Banned

Quote:
You are going to need to probably pay more than the grey premium to ever get the watch from an AD at retail.

Thats the sad reality of the market
ufboy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2019, 07:42 AM   #16
APAP
"TRF" Member

Bad advice over here. Why encourage OP to pay 100% premium? Probably most coming from existing owners to make them feel better about their possession. How can you know that OP won’t lose money on his purchase? My money is on that he will.

OP, there are much nicer options at that pride point. Don’t go with the flow - you usually end up getting the short end of the stick.

I’d get an AP or ALS at the mentioned prices in this thread.
APAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2019, 07:45 AM   #17
Codik
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APAP View Post
Bad advice over here. Why encourage OP to pay 100% premium? Probably most coming from existing owners to make them feel better about their possession. How can you know that OP won’t lose money on his purchase? My money is on that he will.

OP, there are much nicer options at that pride point. Don’t go with the flow - you usually end up getting the short end of the stick.

You’re absolutely right.

Also, physically walking to and speaking to your local ADs might help - one of them is likely to put you on a list.
Codik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2019, 08:13 AM   #18
ufboy73
Banned

Quote:

you are changing the question - the question wasn't 'should I get a 5167'.

the question was 'how should I try and get a 5167''
Old 16 June 2019, 08:18 AM   #19
s.m.b.
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Old 16 June 2019, 10:51 AM   #20
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Best advice is to buy something else. There are so many great watch options out there. Buy a watch form a manufactory who actually wants to sell you a watch.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2019, 10:53 AM   #21
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufboy73 View Post
you are changing the question - the question wasn't 'should I get a 5167'.

the question was 'how should I try and get a 5167''
Easy, buy used on the internet and pay twice MSRP. Easy answer.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2019, 10:59 AM   #22
Fat_ninja
Banned

I’d buy a 5196r as a first patek. Timeless and classic. Plus it looks good with jeans. Then ask to be on list for a steel aquanaut on bracelet.
Old 16 June 2019, 11:02 AM   #23
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP/VC
So with the OP being unable to get on a local AD's list, the options for a 5167 are more limited. Getting on a list at an out of town AD seems even less likely, so I agree that the only realistic option is a grey dealer. Such a great watch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 58112729187__6072D221-B05F-49EA-B5CF-6146B8D26689.jpg (102.6 KB, 689 views)
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2019, 11:12 AM   #24
soundserious
"TRF" Member

Look, everybody pays market price. Buy grey and enjoy the heck out of it. Pleas do not waste precious funds on an alternative or replacement. You will buy it twice in doing so.
Old 16 June 2019, 11:36 AM   #25
ufboy73
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
Easy, buy used on the internet and pay twice MSRP. Easy answer.
Exactly
Old 16 June 2019, 12:08 PM   #26
Peterandwatches
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167/15400/Sub/JLC
Time machine. I picked mine up when it was under retail and everyone knocked it as a Nautilus ripoff.

I would never get one now and would be looking at watches with better value.
Peterandwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2019, 04:35 PM   #27
MrEleven
"TRF" Member

I dont know what i am going to do, really wanted the aquanaut and its the only patek i like so its that or nothing.
I am guessing this is a new thing similar to how rolex has went over the past few years, unbelievably hard to get. I reckon when the next market crash comes these rolexs will burst and be easily available once again so therefore patek should be the same ? Or maybe not, i think the problem with rolex is your average guy now wants one as there not really that expensive, so everyone wants on the list. Maybe patek slightly different and might not be affected by a financial collapse
Old 16 June 2019, 08:54 PM   #28
bonsai-man
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I dont know what i am going to do, really wanted the aquanaut and its the only patek i like so its that or nothing.
I am guessing this is a new thing similar to how rolex has went over the past few years, unbelievably hard to get. I reckon when the next market crash comes these rolexs will burst and be easily available once again so therefore patek should be the same ? Or maybe not, i think the problem with rolex is your average guy now wants one as there not really that expensive, so everyone wants on the list. Maybe patek slightly different and might not be affected by a financial collapse
The positive first, from my experience the UK market seems to be the worst place to get an allocation. If you go in to a AD wear your best watch, and ask to see some PP and have a chat, leave with a catalogue and remember the salespersins name. After a few weeks call the store and make sure the sales person is on duty, go in to the store and have another chat, say you heard PP do exhibition events and can you get an invite to see the watches. If your passing look in the window, and have a browse, you need to get the salesperson to recognise you. After 3 or 4 visist ask the same sales person about availability, this should get you on the list, but be prepared to wait a loooong time and keep saving as you need to cover the many futere price rises that a likely to occur.

Now the negative, I dont see a serious downturn affecting the grey prices for 5167A or 5711A, other PM models maybe. They make so few and to most who can afford to buy they are just "nice cheap sports watches". Even at the current high grey prices they are at the bottom end, price wise.

Not being funny or wishing to kill your dreams, but Patek Philippe is a different level to Rolex. I dream of owning just 1 of the many PP watches these guy have in there collection, but in a serious downturn even I would not be fire selling my watches for a mere £50,000 and I am a very basic low end collector.

Just my opinion, but I feel an honest and genuine one.
Old 16 June 2019, 10:07 PM   #29
Snow-Dweller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: collections change
Quote:
Looking to get a 5167a next, have never owned a patek before so have no relationship with a ad and i had called my local ad about a year ago and was told the waiting list was closed.
What is the best way to get on a waiting list and how long can I expect to be on that list ?
Also how would i get to try one on, pretty sure this is the watch to complete my collection but never tried one on so theres the sligh chance it might not be for me.
I suggest you contact Erikldn. He might be looking to sell his 5167...

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...=1#post9730221

16803. 16570. 18038. 114300. BB58. GMW-B5000D.
Snow-Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2019, 10:19 PM   #30
bonsai-man
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow-Dweller View Post
I suggest you contact Erikldn. He might be looking to sell his 5167...

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...=1#post9730221
Looking at last post, already sold I’m afraid