The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 June 2019, 09:06 PM   #91
Raza_actual
"TRF" Member

Watch: Monaco
Nope. I wanted a Submariner, I got my Submariner. If I never get another Rolex, I’ll be fine, but I’m not letting this one go.
Old 26 June 2019, 09:07 PM   #92
jaychief
"TRF" Member

Watch: Deepsea
Must admit I have thought about it... I have a few watches that are the desirable Rolex but I sell them and get what .......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jaychief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2019, 09:09 PM   #93
jaychief
"TRF" Member

Watch: Deepsea

I only wear 2 watches now, my ever faithful deep sea and a garmin

jaychief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2019, 09:13 PM   #94
F83
"TRF" Member

It all depends on what you want from watches, and also what your time horizon is.

If you view your Rolexes as tools or jewelry, then just wear them in good health. If however you think of them as investments then it implies you will want to sell them one day. Then the next question is; is your time horizon short or long?

I was lucky enough to get a ceramic Pepsi at retail. I wear it and enjoy it. I could flip it and make money but right now I want to wear it. If my time horizon was short, now would be a good time to sell. All it takes is a recession and the secondary market crumbles. If however you think in decades... the watch will probably be worth a LOT more in 30 years.
F83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2019, 11:03 PM   #95
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdh1980 View Post

My wife often talks about me doing it and my response is 'and then do what?'
Well, that's the question. If you're walking away from the watch world to pursue other interests, then I think it's a good idea. But...if not, it's going to cost you more in the long run. My two cents.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2019, 11:06 PM   #96
grimps
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snyde View Post
Does anyone have experience buying Rolex during a down market?
I walked into my local dealer in 2008 and they offered me both the black and white dial Daytonas at retail price , I walked out with the black dial .
That was the first time I'd ever bought a watch from them .
The Downturn was good for me
grimps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2019, 11:44 PM   #97
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimps View Post
I walked into my local dealer in 2008 and they offered me both the black and white dial Daytonas at retail price , I walked out with the black dial .
That was the first time I'd ever bought a watch from them .
The Downturn was good for me
When money is plenty,keep it.
When money is scarce,push it.
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2019, 12:35 AM   #98
mongrelnomoad
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
There is a growing polarization here regarding these topics and it is exhibited precisely by the "offending" post and your subsequent response.

There is no doubt that there are members of this forum who have essentially limitless funds and resources.

Many of these are investors in a literal sense and work at it either professionally or as a "hobby".

This issue is that the dollar amounts surrounding watches (to these individuals) are absolutely insignificant. That's just the truth of it...

So it becomes frustrating to have the forum topics revolve around "investments" and "cashing in" when the monies discussed are "peanuts". It's a boring drone to them...

On the the flip side you have people who save to obtain the Rolex and are thrilled it's appreciating in value. They are enthusiastic about it and it directly clashes with those who 100% couldn't care less that their submariner is "worth" $3000 more than a year ago...

How long this goes on for is anybody's guess...perhaps a section devoted to market speculation would alleviate the intolerable suffering of those who aren't interested in that specific portion of the hobby...
I think the issue is to not be a douche about your circumstances, either way. Come to think of it, pretty good rule for life generally.
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2019, 12:50 AM   #99
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

I have 10 watches in my collection. Some obviously get more wear than others. I have a few stainless steel Rolex models currently that are selling way above what I paid for them. I like these models very much and ordinarily wouldn't consider selling them.

That said, I have realized that selling one particular model would practically afford me an AP was that previously outside of my price range. What keeps me from selling it isn't necessarily the hope that the price goes up, but rather the notion that Rolex watches are so classic and timeless and that this particular reference has become really hard to get. 10 years from now I could really regret the sale even if in the short term I could sell it for a model I've always had my eye on from a "superior" brand.

In the end, whenever I consider selling ANY of my watches I always sit on the decision for some time. I still regret selling my Milgauss.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2019, 12:59 AM   #100
Roll the Lex
"TRF" Member

If I had a 5711, a hulk, or a ceramic ss Daytona in a collection of watches I would absolutely sell.

If it’s my one and only or I only have another timepiece and I really love the watch probably not.

Then again I don’t have that problem.
I don’t think anybody is going to have this dilemma with a Milgauss z-blue.

Roll the Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2019, 01:20 AM   #101
envuks
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

I do not think about that. I like my pair too much to part with them..... however, I have started to think about simply buying a white 116500 from my AD strictly to flip because a quick $10k is hard to ignore.... know I would get one pretty quickly if I ask, but I would feel like I’m betraying my AD so I’m torn

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2019, 01:27 AM   #102
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager135 View Post

10 years from now I could really regret the sale even if in the short term I could sell it for a model I've always had my eye on from a "superior" brand.

In the end, whenever I consider selling ANY of my watches I always sit on the decision for some time. I still regret selling my Milgauss.
You will have remorse.10 years from now they will be worth more anyway .Why sell ? Enjoy them .
Old 27 June 2019, 01:29 AM   #103
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by envuks View Post
part with them..... however, I have started to think about simply buying a white 116500 from my AD strictly to flip because a quick $10k is hard to ignore.... know I would get one pretty quickly if I ask, but I would feel like I’m betraying my AD so I’m torn
If you can get it that easy,get it ...and keep it .
Old 27 June 2019, 01:29 AM   #104
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

i'd be taking this opportunity to move to PM
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2019, 01:32 AM   #105
envuks
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
If you can get it that easy,get it ...and keep it .
I just don’t have room for a 3rd Rolex in my stable and I prefer the back over white. If I did move on it, it would only be to flip which is why I’ve hesitated.... got the black after a 2 month wait last fall. My AD simply delivers for me which is a blessing

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2019, 02:05 AM   #106
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager135 View Post
I have 10 watches in my collection. Some obviously get more wear than others. I have a few stainless steel Rolex models currently that are selling way above what I paid for them. I like these models very much and ordinarily wouldn't consider selling them.

That said, I have realized that selling one particular model would practically afford me an AP was that previously outside of my price range. What keeps me from selling it isn't necessarily the hope that the price goes up, but rather the notion that Rolex watches are so classic and timeless and that this particular reference has become really hard to get. 10 years from now I could really regret the sale even if in the short term I could sell it for a model I've always had my eye on from a "superior" brand.

I'm doing the opposite. My AP RO has appreciated so much, I'm having it serviced after 5 1/2 years of wrist time in rotation to flip for a PM watch that I've been lusting after for years.

Market forces affect decision making by bringing otherwise unobtainable opportunities to those of us without deep pockets.
Current Collection: Rolex 126619LB, 116710BLNR, and 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster and Planet Ocean 42; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Nomos Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & SuperOcean 44; Doxa 300 Pro Carbon; Stowa Limette; Laco Napa Flieger; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Baco Noir is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2019, 02:29 AM   #107
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baco Noir View Post
I'm doing the opposite. My AP RO has appreciated so much, I'm having it serviced after 5 1/2 years of wrist time in rotation to flip for a PM watch that I've been lusting after for years.

Market forces affect decision making by bringing otherwise unobtainable opportunities to those of us without deep pockets.
And I can completely understand that. For me, Rolex always comes with a dilemma and that is that Rolex always flirts with those top tier brands and that their look is timeless. The situation I am in is that I can basically flip my 116610LV for an AP I have been lusting after for awhile. The ROO Diver is not that far out of my price range (which already gives me pause when considering a potential trade), but never before have I been able to consider selling a watch that retails at just over 9k for a watch I can get on the secondary market for around 15k. That is appealing. In your instance, it might make complete sense. I like my LV; I'm not sure I love it. I have considered condensing my collection down to a handful of really thoughtful pieces from a few brands. I definitely worry about missing the versatility of a more rounded collection.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2019, 02:56 AM   #108
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes, it's hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Besides, watches are peanuts, I made more on three equity positions last week alone than the entire value of my collection.
I don't think people should judge you by this statement, if you're willing to put your money where your mouth is.

I'm looking for a Rolex 16750. If watches really are like peanuts, I'll be happy to accept one from you. I'll pay for the label and publicly praise your contributions to keep this hobby going.
daOnlyBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2019, 10:56 AM   #109
Naples09
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snyde View Post
Does anyone have experience buying Rolex during a down market?
Yes, back in 2009 or so I was getting SS sport models at 15% off from AD. And offered white and black Daytona's that they always had in the safe for good customers.
Naples09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2019, 10:48 PM   #110
gtnator
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, SD43, Pepsi,
Take the money and run...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naples09 View Post
Yes, back in 2009 or so I was getting SS sport models at 15% off from AD. And offered white and black Daytona's that they always had in the safe for good customers.

Yup, I had the same experience. Walked into an AD while on vacation (so no relationships), they had everything in the display except for Daytona’s. For those I just had to ask, “which color do you want” was the response. They couldn’t give away SS models back in 2009. This was in the Bay Area it California.

That’s why I’ve been saying on here for some time, we need a garden variety recession to get things back to normal. And to everyone who wonders why Rolex doesn’t just make more SS models, they’ve been in business long enough to know this is a temporary spike. As soon as a recession hits, they’re watches will be sitting and they want to be smart about their business.

Recessions are good opportunities to buy lots of things, watches, cars, houses, land, all at significant discounts. Just wait, one is always coming....

gtnator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2019, 10:59 PM   #111
Superbri22
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtnator View Post
Yup, I had the same experience. Walked into an AD while on vacation (so no relationships), they had everything in the display except for Daytona’s. For those I just had to ask, “which color do you want” was the response. They couldn’t give away SS models back in 2009. This was in the Bay Area it California.

That’s why I’ve been saying on here for some time, we need a garden variety recession to get things back to normal. And to everyone who wonders why Rolex doesn’t just make more SS models, they’ve been in business long enough to know this is a temporary spike. As soon as a recession hits, they’re watches will be sitting and they want to be smart about their business.

Recessions are good opportunities to buy lots of things, watches, cars, houses, land, all at significant discounts. Just wait, one is always coming....

Couldn’t agree with you more

Superbri22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2019, 11:26 PM   #112
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFish View Post
Individual FLIPPERS for "little" profits are worse than any grey!
These guys are not flippers, they just realized their money was better realized and then utilized in a different way. At some point the prices on this stuff will swing the other way. Never wrong to make a profit on anything.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2019, 11:29 PM   #113
3sheets86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
These guys are not flippers, they just realized their money was better realized and then utilized in a different way. At some point the prices on this stuff will swing the other way. Never wrong to make a profit on anything.
Agreed. Buying with a view to sell straight away is flipping in my book. Buy to enjoy but maybe move on at a later date when you’ve owned it and enjoyed it is not.
3sheets86 is offline   Reply With Quote