The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 December 2017, 11:35 AM   #121
zesty55
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
Hope it goes well, I guess at the end of the day you can figure how much time you put in vs. how much money you make/lose on this and decide if it was worth it for an MSRP ss Daytona.

I could get 5% off the white dial TT SkyD at one of my ADs (don't want one though, not my taste). I get the feeling the piece isn't moving, they were upfront with the discount. This was a week ago.
zesty55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2017, 11:55 AM   #122
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

Watch: me go broke!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zesty55 View Post
Hope it goes well, I guess at the end of the day you can figure how much time you put in vs. how much money you make/lose on this and decide if it was worth it for an MSRP ss Daytona.

I could get 5% off the white dial TT SkyD at one of my ADs (don't want one though, not my taste). I get the feeling the piece isn't moving, they were upfront with the discount. This was a week ago.
Interesting - I was on a West Coast leg last week, day in SF and the rest of the week in Seattle. Two ADs there didn't have any, 3 in NYC, and two in North NJ... Nobody, left my card at all of them, still yet to get a call. I mean I inquire about a ton of watches, this one just out of curiosity to see. All visits prob spanning the last 3 weeks.

Where is your AD located?

I actually think it's beautiful... for the TT I like the white face better than the black and much better than the champagne. TT's obviously have a smaller market, so finding a buyer takes a little longer, I was prepared for it. Still surprised your AD is discounting it.
tbonesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2017, 03:07 AM   #123
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

Just had an offer for $2.2MM - I just need to send the watch and help a friend move money from bank accounts, I knew this was a good idea!!

Old 7 December 2017, 03:28 AM   #124
yxc145
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD,JC, BLNR, Ex2
Quote:
Originally Posted by zesty55 View Post

Jomashop is discounting up to 18% on the TT Daytona.
Sorry, my bad. Thought you were talking about Daytona.
yxc145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2017, 05:28 AM   #125
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

A little closure on this one...

Sold the Sky-Dweller and still have the 60th Anniversary Speedmaster, which if I'm looking at net costs, I'm into the $7,250 Omega for $8,100 factoring in my loss on the Sky-Dweller. I turned down an offer for $7,450 on the Omega.

I noted earlier I had put an estimate of 4-6 weeks to sell the Sky-Dweller, and I came in right around the high end of that estimate. I had also hoped to take a close to net/net breakeven on the Dweller, that unfortunately didn't happen, if you can do simple math, the previous paragraph lays out my loss. Technically, I can be done with this Speedmaster quickly, but my gut says this will be a watch that Omega collectors want, and with them no longer shipping and close to sold out, I'm going to hold and hopefully recoup the difference on the Sky-Dweller in the next year or so on this one.

I had an offer on the Dweller within 2 weeks of posting, but the buyer wanted to do PayPal for a F2F, I passed, but had it been a legit offer, my loss would've been much smaller. I do wonder a little about passing there and if it was legit, but at the end of the day, I think I'm happy with how this one turned out.

Someone above mentioned finding this Sky-Dweller for 5% off, I inquired about where, but never heard back from him... I don't know how that is possible. In my many travels over the last few months, I've only seen a handful of these - the last time I saw it was a few days before Christmas... I told the AD if they gave me 5% off, I'd take it on the spot, they declined. I wasn't really going to buy it, but after that poster said that and then didn't respond, he made me a little jittery, which is why I took the loss. The buyer found the Dweller on this forum and received it today (exactly 24 hours after sending the funds). He was very happy with the price as he implied he couldn't find it an AD, so having it 24 hours later at a discount worked out very well for him. It really is a beautiful watch and I hope the guy enjoys it, I'm sure he will.

The sales guy who sold me these watches either has the best pitch on Earth or is an amazing liar - he told me he is brand new at this AD and doesn't have a huge roster to get calls when he gets the hot pieces. He says for now, I'll always be the first person he calls. If that is true, maybe a little side business of reselling to be made from this excursion.

Anyways, I've got my Daytona on the wrist now and think this worked out well... Certainly not for everyone, but worked out for me.
Old 29 December 2017, 06:21 AM   #126
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbonesteak View Post
A little closure on this one...

Sold the Sky-Dweller and still have the 60th Anniversary Speedmaster, which if I'm looking at net costs, I'm into the $7,250 Omega for $8,100 factoring in my loss on the Sky-Dweller. I turned down an offer for $7,450 on the Omega.

I noted earlier I had put an estimate of 4-6 weeks to sell the Sky-Dweller, and I came in right around the high end of that estimate. I had also hoped to take a close to net/net breakeven on the Dweller, that unfortunately didn't happen, if you can do simple math, the previous paragraph lays out my loss. Technically, I can be done with this Speedmaster quickly, but my gut says this will be a watch that Omega collectors want, and with them no longer shipping and close to sold out, I'm going to hold and hopefully recoup the difference on the Sky-Dweller in the next year or so on this one.

I had an offer on the Dweller within 2 weeks of posting, but the buyer wanted to do PayPal for a F2F, I passed, but had it been a legit offer, my loss would've been much smaller. I do wonder a little about passing there and if it was legit, but at the end of the day, I think I'm happy with how this one turned out.

Someone above mentioned finding this Sky-Dweller for 5% off, I inquired about where, but never heard back from him... I don't know how that is possible. In my many travels over the last few months, I've only seen a handful of these - the last time I saw it was a few days before Christmas... I told the AD if they gave me 5% off, I'd take it on the spot, they declined. I wasn't really going to buy it, but after that poster said that and then didn't respond, he made me a little jittery, which is why I took the loss. The buyer found the Dweller on this forum and received it today (exactly 24 hours after sending the funds). He was very happy with the price as he implied he couldn't find it an AD, so having it 24 hours later at a discount worked out very well for him. It really is a beautiful watch and I hope the guy enjoys it, I'm sure he will.

The sales guy who sold me these watches either has the best pitch on Earth or is an amazing liar - he told me he is brand new at this AD and doesn't have a huge roster to get calls when he gets the hot pieces. He says for now, I'll always be the first person he calls. If that is true, maybe a little side business of reselling to be made from this excursion.

Anyways, I've got my Daytona on the wrist now and think this worked out well... Certainly not for everyone, but worked out for me.
I somewhat followed your trials and tribulations with trying to sell the Sky-D. Glad you got the Daytona after "just" a couple of purchases of stuff you didn't want. Perhaps you will sell that one too, as you begin your new job as a TS. Whatever you do, glad they lived up to their end and you got out of a watch you were selling for them (in essence).
Old 29 December 2017, 07:33 AM   #127
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Could you maybe just wash his car, trim his hedges (not a euphemism) or shine his shoes weekly to earn the privilege of buying several watches at full retail? That way you avoid having watches you don't really want.
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2017, 08:26 AM   #128
nick54
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I've been trying to score a few very in demand watches from ADs, Daytona white face, SS Dweller blue face.

Anyways, in my discussions with ADs, I came across a guy who works for a large shop with multiple locations that seems to always have great watches.

He tells me, buy a few watches off me and I'll get both on your wrist within 12-18 months.

In the last month he has called me to take a Batman and a Hulk, and like an idiot, I declined - clearly they get good stuff... Could've easily taken them, sold them here at MSRP to someone that wants them BNIB from an AD.

Anyways, he calls me up and tells me he has a TT Dweller with a white face and again lets me know that this would go a long way in getting what I actually want. $17k watch, but I see them selling at a minimum slightly above MSRP and they're still fairly difficult to source, so I'm debating taking it to pass it off to someone who hopefully wants it, but hasn't been able to find it.

Dumb move, smart move, no opinion?

Thanks forum.
You know what they say, “If you have to ask”. Just kidding. Do it. Absolument.
nick54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2017, 08:58 AM   #129
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
It sounds like you should have taken all of them then worry about it, but with those pieces it's really nothing to worry about the way the demand is right now.
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2017, 09:38 AM   #130
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

Wow! That's lots of works for a SS Daytona at MSRP, I hope you get it. If you thought it about it, you've become a gray dealer/reseller :) for the AD.
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2017, 10:52 AM   #131
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
Could you maybe just wash his car, trim his hedges (not a euphemism) or shine his shoes weekly to earn the privilege of buying several watches at full retail? That way you avoid having watches you don't really want.
Allow me to retort (with slightly less sarcasm, but just enough):

Let’s take a look at what happened:

AD had me take 2 watches, the two tone Dweller which is gone and the Omega which I still have, but could easily move. If I was to move the Omega for an offer I received, my total loss would be about $650, and figure my total time spent on this was about 8-10 hours when looking at it collectively. With the Daytona (hypothetically I accept an offer for $18k, which I’m gonna pass on most likely and keep), I’ve earned about $5k in 10 hours, or $500 an hour, we can call that $675 an hour if you’re factoring tax on earnings. When said and done, the time is equivalent to $1.4MM annually, I’d happily do this all day long for that salary if that was possible, which sadly it isn’t.

Okay, maybe money isn’t your leading indicator, let’s look at other factors here:

AD; sold 3 watches, they’re happy

My buyer; got a watch he was struggling to source at a nice discount to what he would’ve paid when he was able to source... so getting something quicker for cheaper. He already informed me he is happy... hopefully he’ll leave a little feedback in the who is who section

Omega potential buyer; I guarantee the 60th Speedy will be a tough one to find in about a year, I’ll have another happy buyer when I decide to sell it.

Me; new Daytona, total cost of about $13k. Good relationship at an AD when I want another hard to find watch... Plus I’m certainly expecting to get at least one or two other “calls” from different ADs I’ve pitched.

What’s funny is some people still don’t realize MSRP means nothing, if you want something, sometimes you need to come out of pocket more. What I’ve done in the last couple of months is ensure I won’t have to pay a premium here and on future purchases.

So to answer the thread title, I’m back to the “I’m not an idiot” camp and very happy with the outcome
Old 29 December 2017, 11:04 AM   #132
Rolex_Ry
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, Patek, Rolex
I commend you for all the work you’ve done to obtain the SS daytona! Mission accomplished. Like they say, if you want something bad enough, you’ll find a way to obtain it! What 4 year wait list?! Congrats!
Rolex_Ry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2017, 11:57 PM   #133
themast
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Let’s take a look at what happened:

AD had me take 2 watches, the two tone Dweller which is gone and the Omega which I still have, but could easily move. If I was to move the Omega for an offer I received, my total loss would be about $650, and figure my total time spent on this was about 8-10 hours when looking at it collectively. With the Daytona (hypothetically I accept an offer for $18k, which I’m gonna pass on most likely and keep), I’ve earned about $5k in 10 hours, or $500 an hour, we can call that $675 an hour if you’re factoring tax on earnings. When said and done, the time is equivalent to $1.4MM annually, I’d happily do this all day long for that salary if that was possible, which sadly it isn’t.

Okay, maybe money isn’t your leading indicator, let’s look at other factors here:

AD; sold 3 watches, they’re happy

My buyer; got a watch he was struggling to source at a nice discount to what he would’ve paid when he was able to source... so getting something quicker for cheaper. He already informed me he is happy... hopefully he’ll leave a little feedback in the who is who section

Omega potential buyer; I guarantee the 60th Speedy will be a tough one to find in about a year, I’ll have another happy buyer when I decide to sell it.

Me; new Daytona, total cost of about $13k. Good relationship at an AD when I want another hard to find watch... Plus I’m certainly expecting to get at least one or two other “calls” from different ADs I’ve pitched.

What’s funny is some people still don’t realize MSRP means nothing, if you want something, sometimes you need to come out of pocket more. What I’ve done in the last couple of months is ensure I won’t have to pay a premium here and on future purchases.

So to answer the thread title, I’m back to the “I’m not an idiot” camp and very happy with the outcome
I have to come out and congratulate you, your perseverance, and entrepreneurship. As I had indicated, I had some concerns with the intentions of the AD, but apparently everything worked out well and I think you came ahead of this brilliantly.
themast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2017, 01:14 AM   #134
rossi46
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16570
An AD sold you the hottest watch on the planet (OK, not counting the 5711) at retail because you bought a TT Sky-Dweller and an Omega limited edition?!

Old 30 December 2017, 01:14 AM   #135
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I understand and was making a comment on the absurdity of the state of the Rolex market in general, not your situation specifically. It's a little nuts but no different than the chase to get certain limited production cars, not that I play in that arena. Don't hold that Speedmaster too long, Omega's next hot limited edition is probably just around the corner.
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2017, 01:20 AM   #136
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
I understand and was making a comment on the absurdity of the state of the Rolex market in general, not your situation specifically. It's a little nuts but no different than the chase to get certain limited production cars, not that I play in that arena. Don't hold that Speedmaster too long, Omega's next hot limited edition is probably just around the corner.
Gotcha, thanks for that.

Yea, I hear you on the Omega, they release about 17 million LE pieces a year, but the 60th Speedy to me is one worth holding... Once boutiques stop getting them (which is now), and the resellers have rushed their inventory out, they'll be harder to obtain and something most collectors will want. Just my 2 cents on this one.
Old 30 December 2017, 02:07 AM   #137
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Good outcome. Congratulations on getting the pieces you want
HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2019, 02:39 AM   #138
Collector2019
"TRF" Member

a good case study. The OP is now 70% grey dealer - awaiting his Full Time confirmation - LOL
Collector2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2019, 03:14 AM   #139
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

never mind. just checked the date
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2019, 03:32 AM   #140
othertbone
Banned

Watch: Rolex/AP/Vin Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Are you trying to be a watch dealer or buy watches that you want to own and wear?

This

Buy them if you like them brother. If you just want to flip, then let the next guy have them who really wants them.
othertbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2019, 05:19 AM   #141
Juicemt
"TRF" Member

Check.

The.

Timestamp.
Juicemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2019, 05:59 AM   #142
jinikari01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
WTF.... slow Friday? grave digging...
jinikari01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2019, 06:04 AM   #143
Phrank
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ♕
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
It all depends on how much “play” money you have around and how much you want those models.

It also heavily depends on how much BS you think this guy is slinging.

Assuming everything he says is true and he could actually bump you up to the top, I would personally love to have a BLNR and LVC. I don’t care much for TT Sky d or not. So that does nothing for me.

Another thing to keep in mind is that, Yes, developing a rich sales history with an AD will position you well for hard to get watches, but the money I’ve saved over the years buying from Takuya and DSW easily covered the premium I paid for my Daytona C, as well as SSsky D if I ever decided to get one. Actually it would be a ten fold savings.

Anyway point being, I feel I’ve had better service from Takuya than most ADs could provide. If you really want a hard to get watch but don’t want to spend 10s of thousands on others just to get the one, consider paying he premium.

In 2+ years from now, when someone finally announces they’ve received their Daytona i can sit back and reflect on the prior three years of daily enjoyment of my watch. Paying a premium succks but so does waiting, which I’m sure you will still have to do even after buying several watches.
Well said and I agree.

You spend on a bunch of watches and he doesn't come through, all you end up being is a proxy flipper for him; whereas you just deal with a TS, pay a premium, and it's on your wrist and you're done.

As Chadridv mentioned, you also get the additional years on your wrist on enjoyment.

Just my opinion....:-)
Phrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2019, 06:08 AM   #144
rlx123
"TRF" Member

OP. You are a member on this forum since 2015. Certainly you are not a newbie to this Rolex shortage, and you definitely know how popular the Hulk and Batman were at the time that you were offered these watches at MSRP. ........and you said no? Be prepared to get offers of TT and PM models from now on. If I were to offer you these two SS models and you didn’t take them, naturally I will go to the next guy who would and then offer him the next available Daytona and Sky Dweller.

You were lucky. I have purchased a Datejust 41, and a bluesy from the same AD and they wouldn’t even consider putting me on list for any SS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rlx123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2019, 06:09 AM   #145
Mr.Rolex1
Banned

Watch: Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbogigolo View Post
who is this ad?
+1
Mr.Rolex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2019, 06:09 AM   #146
Mr.Rolex1
Banned

Watch: Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTX I View Post
Serious addiction. I pictured the scene in a dark alley late at night
Mr.Rolex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2019, 06:23 AM   #147
Collector2019
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryantto View Post
OP. You are a member on this forum since 2015. Certainly you are not a newbie to this Rolex shortage, and you definitely know how popular the Hulk and Batman were at the time that you were offered these watches at MSRP. ........and you said no? Be prepared to get offers of TT and PM models from now on. If I were to offer you these two SS models and you didn’t take them, naturally I will go to the next guy who would and then offer him the next available Daytona and Sky Dweller.

You were lucky. I have purchased a Datejust 41, and a bluesy from the same AD and they wouldn’t even consider putting me on list for any SS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I could only imagine! if only and only he has "in some capacity" foreseen the future! for the record the OP rejected 2 SS and bought a TT that he struggled to sell, but sold eventually at cost!

OP share with us the "valuable" lessons learnt from your experience so far? is it a recommended path for us to take and follow your steps?
Collector2019 is offline   Reply With Quote