The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 October 2018, 06:44 AM   #31
angerbot
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
All watches have a winding crown and guess what its there to wind the watch and this miniscule task must take all of 29 seconds to do.
Yeah why even have automatics? Just take 30 seconds to wind your watch in the morning. All these newfangled rotors and long power reserves are just enablers of the lazy IMO.
angerbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2018, 09:08 AM   #32
R!$
Banned

Cool pics
R!$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2018, 11:04 AM   #33
SS Oyster
2024 Pledge Member

Mine has now gone over a week without gaining or losing even a second. Amazing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2018, 08:27 PM   #34
J!m
"TRF" Member

Watch: this! Hold my beer
Quote:
All watches have a winding crown and guess what its there to wind the watch and this miniscule task must take all of 29 seconds to do.
Except of course older Seikos where you have to “shake the life INTO them”.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2018, 08:32 PM   #35
J!m
"TRF" Member

Watch: this! Hold my beer
Quote:
Originally Posted by angerbot View Post
Yeah why even have automatics? Just take 30 seconds to wind your watch in the morning. All these newfangled rotors and long power reserves are just enablers of the lazy IMO.
Valid point. I do enjoy the interaction with my Speedmaster Mk. II when I wear it- periodically “topping up” the main spring... It feels good to be involved with the process rather than just having a hunk of steel hanging off your wrist.

(No I’m not pulling winding bridges off my other automatic watches!)
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2018, 08:51 PM   #36
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Good results and I sometimes like to check things like this myself. The SD43 is a great watch and a lot of fun.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2018, 08:55 PM   #37
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
The watch world has been after Rolex for years constantly mentioning their power reserve being behind the industry.
I am all for being conservative but I cant believe there would be any push back on the idea or any negative view point for Rolex building and advancing their movements. That doesnt mean their older movement are inferior but the industry is advancing and Rolex cant be content with the status quo. Rolex has to march on with improvements and there is only so many areas I think they can do. Its a luxury overbuilt watch to begin with so giving you more of what you probably dont need is part of the game.
Great reveiw

Don’t let the naysayers take the fun out of it for you. I believe the majority see the 70 hour power reserve as an advancement in movement technology and thus a good thing
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2018, 09:00 PM   #38
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
Nothing like it at all. I've owned a Cobra Mustang and there is power there that is demonstrated all the time even in situations with lower speed limits. This is a very lame analogy, fwiw. Unless a watch needs to sit idle for 70 hours and will be used at that point there is no way to see the added reserve., ever.

Right so basically it's not for me nor will it ever be used by me. And I'm an engineer with a lot of time spent driving a desk. I'm also 66 years old and likely have a more sedentary life than many of the younger guys here on the forum. I've never had an automatic watch stop on my wrist from being run down.

As far as saturation divers are concerned, I'm certain that the large fraction of those divers on the forum will get great use of the added power reserve.

IMHO the big use for the new movement is bragging rights and for those who wear one or two watches alternating between weekend and weekday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
I echo your sentiment. In over 25+ years, I have never had a Rolex stop running on my wrist from lack of movement. This whole power reserve is just about bragging rights, IMO. One can at any time unwind the crown and give it a few turns, or place the watch on a winder when not worn. Love my YG Sub with 3135 *obsolete*(LOL) movement, and not flipping it for a watch just because of a longer power reserve. Bah humbug.
Why all the negativity towards technological advancement? Am I sensing some bitterness here gentlemen? Because that's what your posts are suggesting.

I will often place my watch in my watch box on a Friday night and wear a different watch or sometimes no watch for he weekend (depending on what I'm doing)

My 70 hour PR SD43 is still ticking on Monday morning when I take it out of the box to put it on. My previous SubC wasn't. None of my other mechanical watches are. I don't like winders and don't want to have to remember to give it a manual wind half way through the weekend.

The longer power reserve isn't essential, by any means, but its very convenient and nice to have. Its got absolutely nothing to do with bragging right, nor is it unnecessary.

Quote:
And what if you forget to top up the PR mid way through a period of not wearing it?

Yes of course it can easily be wound and the time reset. But I'm one of those people who likes the minute hand to be correctly orientated with the position of the second hand. Who likes his watch to be bang on or just few seconds ahead. My SD43 has been so accurate thus far that I don't need to reset the time when its running. You may not agree with my preferences, or even understand them, but that doesn't make you right and me wrong. Or vice a versa.

The 70 hour pr is, therefore, really useful for me, and given the choice of a longer or shorter pr in the same watch I would always chose the longer. Just as I would always chose anything with more in reserve given the option.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2018, 06:18 AM   #39
SS Oyster
2024 Pledge Member

Love the power reserve yes - now love my group if you own a 3235 in the SD43

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/sead...versaryowners/

Old 26 October 2018, 09:29 AM   #40
JasChCh
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Brilliant post.

I have to say that I am satisfied with the 3235 in my 126660....but I am even happier with the In-house Tudor movement in my Black bay!

The Tudor movement gave me 72 hours, an hour more than the 3235, and is a lot more accurate than the 3235 in my watch....0.00 secs per day for the Tudor, is exactly on time after two months, whereas the Deep Sea loses between 0.4 and 1.9 secs per day, is currently 42 secs slow since last adjusted on the first of the month.

Not that any of this matters, of course, but it is interesting to see how well regulated and consistent the in-house Tudor movements are as they seemingly hold their own quite well against the latest from their big brother.
JasChCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2018, 10:37 AM   #41
Steerpike999
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasChCh View Post
Brilliant post.

I have to say that I am satisfied with the 3235 in my 126660....but I am even happier with the In-house Tudor movement in my Black bay!

The Tudor movement gave me 72 hours, an hour more than the 3235, and is a lot more accurate than the 3235 in my watch....0.00 secs per day for the Tudor, is exactly on time after two months, whereas the Deep Sea loses between 0.4 and 1.9 secs per day, is currently 42 secs slow since last adjusted on the first of the month.

Not that any of this matters, of course, but it is interesting to see how well regulated and consistent the in-house Tudor movements are as they seemingly hold their own quite well against the latest from their big brother.
Interesting you say that, I have a similar experience, my 126600 and 126660 both are roughly 1-2sec slow a day (Brilliant and very happy with this!!) My Son's Black Bay gains about 1 sec a WEEK. that Tudor In-House is truly amazing.
Steerpike999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2018, 10:45 AM   #42
Gravity
"TRF" Member

Great review. Thanks!

Gravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2018, 02:22 PM   #43
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
...ahem....120 hours....

nice review though !
Old 26 October 2018, 02:24 PM   #44
SS Oyster
2024 Pledge Member

Mine is 0.0 seconds (spot on) for two weeks

Old 27 October 2018, 09:06 AM   #45
waterman1
2024 Pledge Member

I love my SD43 and it is very accurate, but I too have to add that my in-house Pelagos keeps unbelievable accuracy at about dead on to +.5 sec per day.
waterman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 11:25 AM   #46
returntorolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Jackie Stewart DD
Tested my SD43 over the holiday weekend. Full wind and didn’t touch it again - lasted 71 hours and 41 minutes.

FWIW, it took over 50 turns to bring it back to fully wound.
Old 23 January 2019, 12:16 PM   #47
spurwar
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126600, 79220N
I tested mine as well a few weeks back and got 72 hours and 2 minutes.
spurwar is offline   Reply With Quote