The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 22 May 2008, 11:32 PM   #31
wristworks
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoeButler View Post
Yes well, I am not known for being irritating - quite the reverse in fact - and I certainly do not like to converse with irritating people. If I seemed irritable or if I over reacted then I do apologise to anyone I offended. I was simply emphasising that Rolex and HL Brown both identified this as a Rolex watch and I am certain of that much.

To clarify, from a newcomer's point of view, it does not seem very welcoming immediately on arrival to have what one says dismissed and that is how I interpreted the opinions that this watch was probably not of Rolex manufacture. I know fake Rolex watches exist but I always took that to be a fairly recent phenomenon and this watch has been in our family for so long now and has been repaired and certified by Rolex so of course I was indignant to suggestions that I did not know what I was talking about. That's all, probably no offense was meant on either side.

I hope we can move on and let the matter drop? I don't want to go banging on about how it's been repaired by Rolex as people will probably find this repetition irritating especially as some of you have apparently got me down as some dotty old Englishwoman who's dreamed the whole thing up. As for 'pissing contests' I have no intention of entering one of these as I lack the equipment as well as the inclination.

As some of you have wisely suggested, there is little we can do until I have more information. I can try to obtain that but it may take time as Rolex watches are not the most important thing in my life by a long chalk whereas (implying no slight here!) I am sure they are for at least some of the people on this forum.

I hope this is helpful,

Zoe
It's not helpful and no less irritating. You need to chill out a bit. I imagine you very red in the face and hitting the keyboard very hard ( probably one finger typing ) sitting at the same desk as you have sat for the last 20 years in your public sector job.
I hope I am very wrong about you and suspect you can be nice and not at all like the character I described but that's how you are coming across.

Post the pics and you will get all the help you need.
Old 22 May 2008, 11:40 PM   #32
Mort
"TRF" Member

Hi Zoe, Welcome to TRF. Just wanted to share a little similar experiance with you from post here on the forum.

Again, it has nothing to do with the watch in question, but more to do with how helpful most members try to be in thier knowledge.

3 Years ago, I purchased a beautiful vintage Omega Constellation Pie Pan in 18k gold. Since I had purchased it from a dealer I had used before, I never thought the following could happen.

On the what is now Omega forum, I posted an image of my beloved Omega, and immeadatly got a post from a member telling me the watch was not a real Constellation.

My first responce was a nasty comment to the poster as there could be no way my watch was not authenic. Then I got a second then third reply with reasons why it did not look real, along with some information for a person who could also help me identifty what I had. Yes I was pissed off at the posters but more pissed off that I may of gotten ripped off.

The end result of this was, from the information I got here, I was able to go back to the dealer who sold me the watch, with some proof because of others knowledge. I ended up getting a refund, this was after 3 years. Had it not been for the folks here on TRF, I could of gone the rest of my life thinking I had diamond, instead of a piece of coal.

Again, from my few year membership here, I have seen that most people on this board just love watches and have a great wealth of knowledge. Most of the time even more than some dealers. So again welcome to TRF and I hope you will stick around. You will be surprised what a bunch of WIS's can come up with and discuss.
Stainless DJ II Rhodium with Arabic Dial 116334, Longines RG Master Collection Chronograph Triple Date Moon, Maurice Lacroix TT Masterpiece Triple Date Moon, Vintage Gallet SS Flying Officer Chronograph
Old 22 May 2008, 11:40 PM   #33
TempoKing
Banned

Watch: Rolex GMT 1675
My Opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrslider View Post
uhhh...wow. You came to get advice from the experts with a less than desireable photo...and repute the advice given....then, either post better pics of front, back and inside case...or take it to an AD.....

No reason to get into a pissing contest over ..............nothing!
After carefully reading her responce and trully kind general disposition.
You might ask...So...what is the value of this watch..? .........at best $600 dollars...or...300 quid...or 450 euro.
Assuming all is "kosher" with it
NEXT...
Old 22 May 2008, 11:41 PM   #34
Trurolexer
Banned

Watch: 5513MaxiI+PreComex
Welcome To TRF...Pal!!!

WELCOME TO TRF, Zoe!!!
Old 22 May 2008, 11:43 PM   #35
delldeaton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Never kiss & tell!
What?

Quote:
... Rolex watches are not the most important thing in my life by a long chalk....
Agreed: One has to have balance.

Rolex + James Bond = Life
Old 23 May 2008, 12:17 AM   #36
Rolexitis
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Hello,

I am a new member of this forum.

I really joined because I have a question about a Rolex watch which I inherited. It is a vintage watch, I would imagine it is 1950s or 60s. It has a perpetual movement and an oyster case although it simply says 'Rolex' on the face which is pearl white. It is stainless steel with a stainless steel bracelet and matching fingers and figures. There is no date window. I have tried looking for a similar model but found nothing resembling it although it appears to be a classic, Rolex design man's watch. The certificate from the last repair Rolex carried out is lost which is a shame because I believe they no longer will repair a watch of that vintage.

I have attached a picture which I hope will be recognised by someone. I am really most curious about this watch as it has no name on the case - just the 'Rolex' and I wonder what its history is. I suppose I shall probably sell it if I can find an appreciative buyer. I think it is a beautiful watch though it is very simple and austere compared to gold Rolex watches and Submariners and what not. It really looks much better than the picture which is rather blurry but may help with identification. I must try to get hold of a better camera next time!

Best wishes,

Zoe
Zoe,

I think this is a circa 1940's era Air King. Look at the pic I have found of an Air King and the dial is almost identical with the 3, 6, and 9 and the diamond shaped markers as well (although it has oyster perpetual and it's 1963, it's similar design). Also, some of the older vintage Rolex watches did not say much on the dial other than Rolex with the crown, but that is very rare. Any way thought this might help your quest.

http://watchestobuy.com/dd_watches_for_sale.htm

http://watchestobuy.com/images/RolexAirKing369b.JPG

http://watchestobuy.com/images/rolex...atedSteelb.JPG
Old 23 May 2008, 01:35 AM   #37
gha
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DateJust
Zoe, You may want to mellow out a tick when asking for assistance from a group of people that you have just met. Remember the old "More bees with honey than vinegar" adage. Getting your back up & being defensive to some of the very very qualified & knowledgable members here may just hinder your ability to receive the assistance you are looking for....Remember that nobody HAS to respond to you & your questions, and if you irritate them you might find yourself alone out there.......JMHO, of course....gha
Old 23 May 2008, 02:21 AM   #38
superdelsol
"TRF" Member

Watch: your 6.
This thread reminds me of another one last month:
http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=39043

Norman (gr8collector) posted pictures of a rare, valuable Daytona, and the watch was called a fake by some members. In the end it was agreed that it was not. It seems as though this may happen with Zoe's watch as well.

Welcome to the forum Zoe. I hope you get the information you are looking for, while avoiding the keyboard commandos.
Old 23 May 2008, 11:04 AM   #39
ZoeButler
"TRF" Member

Icon12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wristworks View Post
It's not helpful and no less irritating. You need to chill out a bit. I imagine you very red in the face and hitting the keyboard very hard ( probably one finger typing ) sitting at the same desk as you have sat for the last 20 years in your public sector job.
I hope I am very wrong about you and suspect you can be nice and not at all like the character I described but that's how you are coming across.

Post the pics and you will get all the help you need.
Well, no you are quite wrong. For a start I touch type and have a quite respectable speed (although I haven't timed it recently but I think it will be about 60 WPM) and I'm not hitting the keyboard very hard at all, although you'll have to take my word for this, nor am I red in the face. As a matter of fact I'm chatting to a friend on MSN as I type and having quite a laugh. Most people describe me as a calm and thoughtful person although I am very creative and highly sensitive so I probably have an artistic temperament. I was choosing my words quite carefully (maybe trying too hard) and I did apologise for any offence I caused, did you miss that bit?

Maybe you should chill out too? Perhaps you just find me irritating whatever I say? I suspect that we are the type of people who loath each other on first meeting and eventually end up best mates. I do hope so as I'm sure you're a nice person too. I'm not really at home in computer forums though. Perhaps that is the problem? You cannot hear my tone of voice and I'm not really comfortable using smilies. Perhaps I should No, see you're thinking I'm being sarcastic, now and I'm not.

It occurs to me you might just be just making fun of me. Well, I suppose I'm fair game as I'm a woman in a supposedly male-dominated sphere, I don't know much about Rolex watches and I'm on a forum for Rolex enthusiasts. I don't mind if you are. Life's too short. My philosophy is few things matter very much, most things do not matter at all.

Oh, I and have worked for a while in the public sector and it drove me potty. Really did not suit me. My line manager said I was far too laid back and easy going for the modern civil service.

Best wishes,

Zoe xx
Old 23 May 2008, 11:08 AM   #40
oneillba
"TRF" Member

Watch: My beloved TT DJ
I've been watching and reading this thread all day. It makes me uncomfortable, just like my ex wife. I get the heeby jeebys reading Zoe's posts. I just don't like your tone. Thats's all. Good by for me on this thread.

My Trusty TT DJ
Old 23 May 2008, 11:13 AM   #41
applebook
"TRF" Member

I'm with oneillba.

Something smells fishy in the state of Denmark.
Old 23 May 2008, 11:15 AM   #42
Lol-x
Facilitator

This thread doesn't seem to be getting us anywhere.

The frustrations stem from a question about a watch that is not clearly visible.

If I ask you what do you think of my watch (period) you would have no idea what I was talking about.

Now I have given a couple of days notice, for more photographs to be shown, but none whatsoever of the watch in issue have been forthcoming. So this thread is now just unproductive banter.

The thread is being closed. If and when any clear photos are provided the topic can be revisited in a new thread.

Roger, over and out

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Closed Thread