The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 22 May 2008, 05:08 AM   #1
ZoeButler
"TRF" Member

New Member - With a question

Hello,

I am a new member of this forum.

I really joined because I have a question about a Rolex watch which I inherited. It is a vintage watch, I would imagine it is 1950s or 60s. It has a perpetual movement and an oyster case although it simply says 'Rolex' on the face which is pearl white. It is stainless steel with a stainless steel bracelet and matching fingers and figures. There is no date window. I have tried looking for a similar model but found nothing resembling it although it appears to be a classic, Rolex design man's watch. The certificate from the last repair Rolex carried out is lost which is a shame because I believe they no longer will repair a watch of that vintage.

I have attached a picture which I hope will be recognised by someone. I am really most curious about this watch as it has no name on the case - just the 'Rolex' and I wonder what its history is. I suppose I shall probably sell it if I can find an appreciative buyer. I think it is a beautiful watch though it is very simple and austere compared to gold Rolex watches and Submariners and what not. It really looks much better than the picture which is rather blurry but may help with identification. I must try to get hold of a better camera next time!

Best wishes,

Zoe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rolex.jpg (23.9 KB, 226 views)
Old 22 May 2008, 05:15 AM   #2
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoeButler View Post
(...) It has a perpetual movement and an oyster case although it simply says 'Rolex' on the face which is pearl white.(...)
Welcome to TRF, Zoe!

If your watch has a "Perpetual" movement (selfwinding) and an "Oyster" case, then it should say so on the dial.

To be honest, I don't think this watch in question is of Rolex manufacture...
Old 22 May 2008, 05:21 AM   #3
wantonebad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
If you can post some clearer close up photos of front and back it would be easier to help you find out what it is. Bo has good instincts and is probably right
Old 22 May 2008, 05:28 AM   #4
ZoeButler
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPACE-DWELLER View Post
Welcome to TRF, Zoe!

If your watch has a "Perpetual" movement (selfwinding) and an "Oyster" case, then it should say so on the dial.

If you do not know anything about this watch, then say so but kindly refrain from imputations when you do not know. It certainly is of Rolex manufacture. It has been in my family for at least forty years and has been repaired and certified by Rolex. Whatever it should say on the face of the watch it is selfwinding and therefore perpetual and it has the submarine hatch back of an oyster case. It may be curious that it does not say Oyster or Perpetual but that is neither here nor there; I do not know how long people have been copying Rolex watches but I am sure that they would have made sure they got it right.

Best wishes,

Zoe
Old 22 May 2008, 05:31 AM   #5
ZoeButler
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantonebad View Post
If you can post some clearer close up photos of front and back it would be easier to help you find out what it is. Bo has good instincts and is probably right
Let me stress again, this watch has been examined by Rolex and certified; Instincts be blowed.

I will try to get better pictures but really I am looking for information - not speculation or instincts. Perhaps I should try elsewhere?

Best wishes,

Zoe
Old 22 May 2008, 05:35 AM   #6
wantonebad

Quote:
Let me stress again, this watch has been examined by Rolex and certified; Instincts be blowed.

I will try to get better pictures but really I am looking for information - not speculation or instincts. Perhaps I should try elsewhere?

Best wishes,

Zoe

Very good idea, don't let the door hit ya, screw it I hope it whacks you in the @$$
Old 22 May 2008, 05:39 AM   #7
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Quote:
(...)I am really most curious about this watch as it has no name on the case - just the 'Rolex' and I wonder what its history is. (...)e
Quote:
If you do not know anything about this watch, then say so but kindly refrain from imputations when you do not know. It certainly is of Rolex manufacture. It has been in my family for at least forty years and has been repaired and certified by Rolex.(...)
I am terribly sorry if I offended you, Zoe. You just asked for opinions, and I shared my opinion. I did not say that I know for a fact that this watch is not a Rolex, but then again I did put up some details that represent an issue with the authenticity of the watch.

At any standards, if you are sure it has an automatic movement, the dial would say "Perpetual"...

And if it's an Oyster case, the dial would say "Oyster" in front of "Perpetual"...

Anyway, any AD would be happy to remove the caseback for you and have you inspect it. If so, please post some pics of the movement here.

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
Old 22 May 2008, 05:39 AM   #8
ZoeButler
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantonebad View Post
Very good idea, don't let the door hit ya, screw it I hope it whacks you in the @$$
How dare you? Well! I come here for information and you insult me! Does it hurt you so much that you do not know the answer to a simple question that you have to turn abusive?

That was really uncalled for.

I hope your evening is better than your day must have been.

Zoe
Old 22 May 2008, 05:41 AM   #9
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Zoe,

You need to take the bracelet off and see if there are the proper serial numbers and model numbers inscribed against the case between the attachment lugs.

You also need to have the caseback removed to access the numbers that should be inside the back, and have a look at the movement too.

Until there is more information, all anybody can say is that you have a watch that is configured similar to an early Explorer model but with some inconsistencies..
Old 22 May 2008, 05:43 AM   #10
wantonebad

Quote:
How dare you? Well! I come here for information and you insult me! Does it hurt you so much that you do not know the answer to a simple question that you have to turn abusive?

That was really uncalled for.

I hope your evening is better than your day must have been.

Zoe
I've had a great day zoe, no worries
Old 22 May 2008, 06:02 AM   #11
ZoeButler
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I am terribly sorry if I offended you, Zoe. You just asked for opinions, and I shared my opinion. I did not say that I know for a fact that this watch is not a Rolex.

At any standards, if you are sure it has an automatic movement, the dial would say "Perpetual"...

Anyway, any AD would be happy to remove the caseback for you and have you inspect it. If so, please post some pics of the movement here.
That is much better. I presume by AD you mean authorised dealer. One such did examine and repair it last year and did verify the provenance. I did not have the presence of mind to ask him to note down the model and serial number and as I said before, when we last sent it to Rolex I also forgot to note down the serial number. Had I done so I would have contacted someone who has records of such things - perhaps even Rolex in Geneva who I believe do keep good records? This is what I mean by asking elsewhere, I rather hoped that someone on this forum would take one look and say "Oh yes, that's the boogly tush Oyster Perpetual that came out in nineteen blankedy blank and they only put Rolex on them" or else "It looks like someone's replaced the original face with a plain one from a windup non-oyster Rolex," which though speculative would have fitted the facts which are that it is automatic, has a submarine hatch back and has been verified by Rolex to be genuine. I am not going dotty you know!

I can ask at a local AD, although there may be a charge. These watches are expensive enough to repair without paying for a quick look inside and I am not exactly made of money. I paid £130 for a repair and clean last year at HL Brown and I really do not wish to repeat the experience which is why I am looking for an interested party with a view to purchase.

I am hoping, you see, that someone on this forum will be intrigued by something that does not fit the usual pattern.

Best wishes,

Zoe
Old 22 May 2008, 06:04 AM   #12
delldeaton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Never kiss & tell!
Curious

Quote:
Welcome to TRF, Zoe!

Notwithstanding the other back-and-forth on this, Bo, you know I have a great deal of respect for your thoughts here. Something has clearly not set right w/ you on this watch (no pun intended). Would you mind elaborating? I seem to recall that there was a lot of dial variation among watches of the era from which this watch purportedly came, especially among early Explorer models. Is it just the dial, or something else here?

Thanks, pal!

PS: As someone who can on occasion become testy when looking for information and not feel responses are on the mark for which I was aimed, I won't cast stones!
Old 22 May 2008, 06:05 AM   #13
pwrslider
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 Coke
Quote:
If you do not know anything about this watch, then say so but kindly refrain from imputations when you do not know. It certainly is of Rolex manufacture. It has been in my family for at least forty years and has been repaired and certified by Rolex. Whatever it should say on the face of the watch it is selfwinding and therefore perpetual and it has the submarine hatch back of an oyster case. It may be curious that it does not say Oyster or Perpetual but that is neither here nor there; I do not know how long people have been copying Rolex watches but I am sure that they would have made sure they got it right.

Best wishes,

Zoe
uhhh...wow. You came to get advice from the experts with a less than desireable photo...and repute the advice given....then, either post better pics of front, back and inside case...or take it to an AD.....

No reason to get into a pissing contest over ..............nothing!
Rolex Explorer II Blk (91)
Breitling SuperOcean Steelfish (07)
Panerai 104 & 177ti ( 04/03)
Old 22 May 2008, 06:08 AM   #14
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

So now that the temper has fallen down a bit, I believe Larry's suggestion to have the caseback removed and the calibre of the movement noted, preferably taken pics of, is a very sensible piece of advice...

Old 22 May 2008, 06:14 AM   #15
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by delldeaton View Post
Notwithstanding the other back-and-forth on this, Bo, you know I have a great deal of respect for your thoughts here. Something has clearly not set right w/ you on this watch (no pun intended). Would you mind elaborating? I seem to recall that there was a lot of dial variation among watches of the era from which this watch purportedly came, especially among early Explorer models. Is it just the dial, or something else here?

Thanks, pal!

PS: As someone who can on occasion become testy when looking for information and not feel responses are on the mark for which I was aimed, I won't cast stones!
Well, as stated, IF the watch indeed is an automatically wound one (i.e.: in Rolex terms: "Perpetual") and if the watch is indeed has an Oyster case, then the dial must say so. It's as simple as that...

I just go by the information given so far.

Old 22 May 2008, 06:15 AM   #16
GoldenBear
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Try HL Brown, maybe they will have the records on file.
Breitling Emergency Mission

**They are just watches, wear 'em.**
Old 22 May 2008, 06:16 AM   #17
ZoeButler
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Zoe,

You need to take the bracelet off and see if there are the proper serial numbers and model numbers inscribed against the case between the attachment lugs.

You also need to have the caseback removed to access the numbers that should be inside the back, and have a look at the movement too.

Until there is more information, all anybody can say is that you have a watch that is configured similar to an early Explorer model but with some inconsistencies..
Yes, I am always nervous of removing the bracelet or doing anything else but I think I will call at HL Brown and ask them to help. Perhaps that is all that can constructively be done at the moment. Your comment about it looking like an early Explorer model but with some inconsistencies sounds plausible. I have looked around at pictures on the Internet and from my own naive perspective formed a somewhat similar opinion.

Thank you for your helpful suggestion, I shall carry it out and I shall keep returning to this forum to see if there are any other postings about this in the meantime. This is not the only Rolex watch I have by the bye but I will save that for a future occasion.

Many thanks for the constructive suggestions from members of this forum and for your tolerance.

Best wishes,

Zoe
Old 22 May 2008, 06:36 AM   #18
ZoeButler
"TRF" Member

In fact I have just come across something which might cast a light on this. If you follow this link ukwatches.com/Rolex1.html
You will see that it refers to a Rolex Perpetual watch that - unusually - did not have Oyster Perpetual on the face.

This seems to show that - as I suspected and as some have commented - there was some variation in watch faces. I do not know the provenance of this watch. It may have originally been a presentation - I do not know.

Best wishes,

Zoe
Old 22 May 2008, 06:37 AM   #19
Thani
Banned

Watch: Milgauss 116400 GV
Zoe, please post more pics of the watch

and please try and get clear pics with details

thanks
Old 22 May 2008, 07:15 AM   #20
OYSTERMANN
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ,DD,GMTIIc,Sub
Zoe, welcome to the Forum.

It sounds like an interesting challenge you have and I wish you well with verifying the exact history and detail of your unusual Rolex.

The fact that you have had it verified as the genuine article is good news.

Please keep us updated on progress and if you do get chance to post some additional photos, I'm sure that we'd all like to see them.

116231 SS/RG DATEJUST 2007
118238 YG DAY-DATE 2007
116713 LN SS/YG GMT IIc 2008
116613 LB SS/YG SUBMARINER 2009
216570 SS EXPLORER II 2013
116520 SS DAYTONA 2014
Old 22 May 2008, 08:50 AM   #21
marke
Banned

Watch: Daytona
zoe, when you get a chance PM me and I am more than pleased to help you I am only 30 mins away from the Rolex Hq in the UK and have a friend there...

let me know how i can help you

regards
Mark
Old 22 May 2008, 09:14 AM   #22
CoopJr
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subs
That picture is actually a scan. The watch dial is up off the face of the scanner, that's why it's blurry. Scanners are really only able to scan what is flat on the glass. Also, that is why the bracelet portion appears stretched or deformed. Several clear digital pics are definitely going to help.
Old 22 May 2008, 09:23 AM   #23
Lol-x
Facilitator

Until some clear photos are provided there is no point taking this matter any further.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Old 22 May 2008, 09:41 AM   #24
erwin
-

Watch: SD
Welcome to TRF and good luck with your watch!
Old 22 May 2008, 08:59 PM   #25
ZoeButler
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopJr View Post
That picture is actually a scan. The watch dial is up off the face of the scanner, that's why it's blurry. Scanners are really only able to scan what is flat on the glass. Also, that is why the bracelet portion appears stretched or deformed. Several clear digital pics are definitely going to help.
Yes you are quite right. I added the picture as an afterthought. It does not really do the watch justice for the reasons you said. I was initially just hoping someone would recognise it.

Incidentally, the only number on the last repair receipt is IO112 or I0112 in case that means anything and is not just a customer reference number (which it probably is.)

Best wishes, Zoe
Old 22 May 2008, 10:01 PM   #26
wristworks
Banned

Zoe,

We don't usually help irritating people on here. If you want to converse with other irritating people I suggest you try TZ.
Old 22 May 2008, 10:05 PM   #27
2careless
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
First we had Johnny, now Zoe. Have we offended this many brits?
Old 22 May 2008, 11:15 PM   #28
ZoeButler
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wristworks View Post
Zoe,

We don't usually help irritating people on here. If you want to converse with other irritating people I suggest you try TZ.
Yes well, I am not known for being irritating - quite the reverse in fact - and I certainly do not like to converse with irritating people. If I seemed irritable or if I over reacted then I do apologise to anyone I offended. I was simply emphasising that Rolex and HL Brown both identified this as a Rolex watch and I am certain of that much.

To clarify, from a newcomer's point of view, it does not seem very welcoming immediately on arrival to have what one says dismissed and that is how I interpreted the opinions that this watch was probably not of Rolex manufacture. I know fake Rolex watches exist but I always took that to be a fairly recent phenomenon and this watch has been in our family for so long now and has been repaired and certified by Rolex so of course I was indignant to suggestions that I did not know what I was talking about. That's all, probably no offense was meant on either side.

I hope we can move on and let the matter drop? I don't want to go banging on about how it's been repaired by Rolex as people will probably find this repetition irritating especially as some of you have apparently got me down as some dotty old Englishwoman who's dreamed the whole thing up. As for 'pissing contests' I have no intention of entering one of these as I lack the equipment as well as the inclination.

As some of you have wisely suggested, there is little we can do until I have more information. I can try to obtain that but it may take time as Rolex watches are not the most important thing in my life by a long chalk whereas (implying no slight here!) I am sure they are for at least some of the people on this forum.

I hope this is helpful,

Zoe
Old 22 May 2008, 11:21 PM   #29
CoopJr
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subs
Quote:
As for 'pissing contests' I have no intention of entering one of these as I lack the equipment as well as the inclination.
I think she just might fit in here...
Old 22 May 2008, 11:22 PM   #30
redshirt1957
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue YM today!
When you can post clear pictures, copy of service records, or direct comments by your Rolex AD; the wonderful and knowledgeable members of this forum will jump at the chance to help and answer your original qustion.
Closed Thread