The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 3 June 2015, 11:14 AM   #31
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkerrmd View Post
After just reading this if this is the actual feeling when we share things we love other than watches even if we "think" they may even go with watches, I from now out will never post another car, dog, wife, house or anything pic other than a watch so as not to be thought of in any way as showing off in a "status" thread

I humbly am sorry if any posts of anything would ever be taken as showing off or status I am nothing like that and don't want to be perceived as such

Tom
Tom,

It isn't a photo with a Rolex and some other prop (for want of a better term) that is a problem. Certainly Rolex's association with the motorsports, equestrian, tennis, etc... is well known and appreciated by most.

It's -for want of a better term-silliness that has become over the top. Sneakers, beer, chains,etc...

It's interesting that one area long associated with Rolex via Military and Police are guns and Knives. Yet because of members being so vocal (we used to show em) they are a forbidden subject. Some of those objects are works of art in and of themselves yet we follow the rules.

Look at the threads that cover a major or vintage GTG. Tons of photos of food fine cars etc... yet the thrust of the thread is never lost. With some of the threads here the thrust is never found.

I would add the recent smart watch flury recently. Nothing about Rolex, but look at the number of threads that had to be moved or deleted. It's simply a matter of courtesy. That is what has been lacking.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2015, 11:26 AM   #32
tkerrmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: ME RACE PORSCHES
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
Tom,

It isn't a photo with a Rolex and some other prop (for want of a better term) that is a problem. Certainly Rolex's association with the motorsports, equestrian, tennis, etc... is well known and appreciated by most.

It's -for want of a better term-silliness that has become over the top. Sneakers, beer, chains,etc...

It's interesting that one area long associated with Rolex via Military and Police are guns and Knives. Yet because of members being so vocal (we used to show em) they are a forbidden subject. Some of those objects are works of art in and of themselves yet we follow the rules.

Look at the threads that cover a major or vintage GTG. Tons of photos of food fine cars etc... yet the thrust of the thread is never lost. With some of the threads here the thrust is never found.

I would add the recent smart watch flury recently. Nothing about Rolex, but look at the number of threads that had to be moved or deleted. It's simply a matter of courtesy. That is what has been lacking.

Roger that and I understand and agree, thanks Mike
tkerrmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2015, 11:42 AM   #33
Samurai
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That's correct. So many of those Status threads that little to nothing to do with Rolex other than look how much money I have.
I understand what you said but Rolex isn't exactly cheap either...They can easily cost more than super cars, houses, branded suits and even wives. And you can easily own more than one! Watches are tied to a lifestyle, so it's really hard to separate it from our lifestyles.

I'm a member of other forum about cars too, and people there post not just about their cars, they post about their great houses, tiny houses, sparkling expensive garages, dirty as hell garages, a million dollar cats, dogs, and everything else about them whether it makes them look extremely rich, silly or whatnot. Yes, it does attract some jealousy, but nowhere classified as trolling. Sky is the limit, if people can't deal with photographs from someone that they probably will never meet in their lives, they should not access Internet!

What I'd like to say is for moderator to consider allowing these kind of posts about lifestyles because they're fun to read (for me) and let me get to know about some members far from my place.

As you can see from my post count, they're very low. But, I hope that I'm not judged by the low post count to voice my opinion. Cheers.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2015, 11:46 AM   #34
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I understand what you said but Rolex isn't exactly cheap either...They can easily cost more than super cars, houses, branded suits and even wives. And you can easily own more than one! Watches are tied to a lifestyle, so it's really hard to separate it from our lifestyles.

I'm a member of other forum about cars too, and people there post not just about their cars, they post about their great houses, tiny houses, sparkling expensive garages, dirty as hell garages, a million dollar cats, dogs, and everything else about them whether it makes them look extremely rich, silly or whatnot. Yes, it does attract some jealousy, but nowhere classified as trolling. Sky is the limit, if people can't deal with photographs from someone that they probably will never meet in their lives, they should not access Internet!

What I'd like to say is for moderator to consider allowing these kind of posts about lifestyles because they're fun to read (for me) and let me get to know about some members far from my place.

As you can see from my post count, they're very low. But, I hope that I'm not judged by the low post count to voice my opinion. Cheers.
The point is where it is posted. The open discussion forum is fine for that. Starting a thread about your house or what ever and putting a picture of a watch "to make it OK" in the Rolex forum skirts the rules......I get the complaining PMs.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2015, 12:39 PM   #35
Samurai
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The point is where it is posted. The open discussion forum is fine for that. Starting a thread about your house or what ever and putting a picture of a watch "to make it OK" in the Rolex forum skirts the rules......I get the complaining PMs.
Point taken. Thanks for the explanation.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2015, 01:34 PM   #36
CommanderRiker
"TRF" Member

Watch: D- Blue
Sorry if I am just totally confused here...but isn't this the open forum? I like seeing the cars and other items here along with the watches people love. To me that is the diversity of this forum and why I come back. Now where are those hot stock tips AZguy!?
CommanderRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2015, 01:45 PM   #37
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderRiker View Post
Sorry if I am just totally confused here...but isn't this the open forum? I like seeing the cars and other items here along with the watches people love. To me that is the diversity of this forum and why I come back. Now where are those hot stock tips AZguy!?
It was moved from the rolex discussion to general
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2015, 01:48 PM   #38
Touring
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
That's correct. So many of those Status threads that little to nothing to do with Rolex other than look how much money I have.

If that's the thread you want, fine, but be considerate of those that have a real interest in the watches and their history or the person trying to learn about a particular reference.

Just post in a forum more in line with the real content of the thread.
x1000!! Thank you for commenting on this. Very unfortunate that these types of threads are gradually overtaking the General Discussion forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderRiker View Post
I believe this thread was originally in the General Discussion forum.
Touring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2015, 04:04 PM   #39
Kingair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough ;-)
Ok so here I am again although I might . . . might . . . might . . . be wrong ;)

TRF has become part of mine- and a lot of other members

And besides posting about Rolex a lot of members opened a thread on . . . . ?

Until a few minutes ago - and forever - I will be reading each post as usual !

TRF is 99 % about Rolex in whatever way and . . . so 1 % rests . . . about our hobbies . . . and still Rolex included

So I really don't see what's wrong

Would you shoot G and myself about posting on cars - food - and a bunch - posting about beers, Mexican food
and finally in socializing on TRF ?

Hey G. . . . I'll pay for the damage . . . as long as G and myself can settle it with food

I mean astonishing food ;)

New members or not - as long as they stay between the white lines . . .

Anyway . . . I just had a few Gin & Tonic with a buddy I didn't see for 20 years . .

That's was his fault

But I realy love to see all my friends on TRF each day . . . over and over again ;-)

Take care my friends !

The old one is hitting the deck right now ;)

Way to late and my phone keeps killing me on changing my words . .
Kingair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2015, 06:41 PM   #40
Andad

Watch: A few.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2015, 07:44 PM   #41
zama
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4 Broken glass
I dont like gratuitous shows of wealth, but as a flip side, there are only so many different topics that can be made on a mass produced watch!!!!! And I am over 3000 posts, and there are many that come up on rotation every few days/weeks/months, but new posters know no different.

I happen to love cars and dogs so I open all these threads with excitement, but I understand others don't, personally as a staunch anti smoker I don't like and never open ones on cigars....... my choice..

I chose to spend all my browsing time on TRF, not car forums so I am glad I see others cars, and am to say the least jealous when I live in a country where tax and greed from the makers push prices to silly levels.

AS for the big G Mans food shots, they just make oh sooooo hungry.
zama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2015, 11:43 PM   #42
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Yeah part of the problem is that this forum is so well run that myself and I'm sure others would rather hang and post here rather than on other hobby specific forums (food, cars etc).

Frankly the rolex general discussion is the last forum I get to on trf aside from the wruw thread as it's very very redundant. But rules are there for a reason so that's why I love the open discussions forums
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2015, 05:42 AM   #43
Louielefty
"TRF" Member

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Louielefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2015, 06:28 PM   #44
njrf430
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkerrmd View Post
Very nice Dan!!!!!

One of my favorite cars and watches!!

Nice
njrf430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2015, 08:05 AM   #45
Laszlo

Watch: Date & No Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louielefty View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you even read through the thread before you posted this?
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote