The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 October 2018, 12:37 PM   #91
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jps3b View Post
I’m politely asking. I’m not being sarcastic. Doesn’t “box and papers” add value to these watches when sold 2nd hand? I would never walk out of any watch store without proper documentation and packaging. Even me, who doesn’t typically sell my watches expects the box that the watch comes in

That's like leaving the dealership without your title.

What if the OP needed to sell on an emergency basis?

These watches aren't element 115--no way I'd complete the transaction and pay full rate without getting the full package.

Once you've paid for it, it should be yours lock, stock and barrel.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 01:02 PM   #92
Mousehunter
"TRF" Member

Watch: AK, SD43, Hulk
The dealer refused to give me a warranty card ever on my first Rolex-and I had been a customer at their shop for about 20 years. I did not realize their game till I was home. I will go by their store and tell the because of that and something a salesperson said behind my back they will never see me again.

Second Rolex was better, but they still pulled stupid games. That cost them the 3rd Rolex sale

Dealer treated me like a customer at the 3rd purchase. Because of that they got the 4th and I am in 2 more lists with them. Sales is not rocket science and karma comes around
Mousehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 01:06 PM   #93
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJGESQ View Post
That's like leaving the dealership without your title.

What if the OP needed to sell on an emergency basis?

These watches aren't element 115--no way I'd complete the transaction and pay full rate without getting the full package.

Once you've paid for it, it should be yours lock, stock and barrel.

That’s exactly what it’s like. It’s like paying cash for a car and being told you can have the title in 12 months. If we are still in business. Very odd practices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 01:07 PM   #94
uhren917
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrummyJames View Post
I managed to bag a BLNR today having been on a ‘list’ for 2 years. The experience of buying the watch was pretty awful. I dared to ask if I could have the plastic box the watch came in. I was told the companies policy was not to allow me the box. Apparently if I sold it on eBay and photographed the box with the store code they would get in trouble.

There is NO store code on the plastic coffin!! It is a generic box!
uhren917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 01:28 PM   #95
yannis
"TRF" Member

Watch: maniac
Congrats on getting the BLNR James! Wristshots please!

yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 01:35 PM   #96
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
Congrats on a great watch !!!
You can thank the current market for your experience
Unfortunately...
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 01:36 PM   #97
Tzachi
2024 Pledge Member

Congrats on getting a great new watch and sorry to hear that dealer attitude. Kind of makes the experience unpleasant.

About the plastic “coffin” box, I have few of them (my dealer is a great guy) . shot me a PM, and I’ll send you one (snail to save costs though!, so promise not to blame me later on this great forum 😊 ) . hope this will enhance the overall experience.
Tzachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 01:36 PM   #98
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

At least they spared you the BLNR, many got a worse treatment with no watches. Congrats!
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 01:39 PM   #99
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity View Post
I have bought ALL my watches grey dating back to the late 80s, many of which were brand new, never registered pieces. "Grey" does not inherently mean "used" nor does it mean you are paying more. To the contrary, I have saved in the six figures buying new and used grey market watches over my lifetime and you'll find if you are looking for a new watch, especially Rolex, most models will be substantially less than through an AD, even new. Only premiums are the few rare hot watches and with those it's either play the kiss the ADs ass, 2+ year waiting game or pay a little more to have it delivered to your door tomorrow.
Brian Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 01:41 PM   #100
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Investr View Post
If you weren’t happy, you shoulda walked away!
X2.

Maybe it’s just me, but I don’t think I’d put up with all that just for a watch(rare reference or not).
Seems some ADs think they’re doing you a favor by selling you a watch.

Wonder what the market will look like in a couple years.

OP, enjoy your BLNR.
Old 16 October 2018, 01:48 PM   #101
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
Its policy to explain before hand. I know that for sure. If they didn't follow that policy im sorry, but i suspect they did. However you bought the watch anyway, and you didn't have to.

IMO if you are going to take a stand, you weaken your position by accepting the watch. Just enjoy it and the piece of plastic will be with you before you know it.

FWIW Patek doesnt let AD's give out brown shipping boxes anymore either. People got mad, but from their view point its a luxury watch in a cardboard box and it looks cheap. Plus flippers were getting more money for "double sealed" watches. AND Rhone (the distributor) retains the certificate of origin for two years on certain watches and have done so for quite a while.
Some still do let you have the brown box though.
tom2517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 01:55 PM   #102
maton12
"TRF" Member

The number of double priced SS BLROs and Daytonas full sets with all stickers is disappointing

So I get the keeping of the card for a year to reduce that market, but taking stickers off is a fairly pleasurable experience when you've bought a luxury watch - have still got some on mine after 18 months and dozens of swims, spas and saunas

Enjoy the BLNR, a stunning watch it surely is
maton12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 02:12 PM   #103
Soultime
"TRF" Member

I am just about to pick up my black Skydweller in the UK.

Brilliant service from an independent AD, and they got the watch in just a couple of months.

I am a first time buyer from them, but they also offered interest free credit (on 50% of price), some coffins and an umbrella!

BUT at time order, I did sign to say they will retain the warranty card for 12 months.
No idea if they will remove stickers till I pick it up in a week. Not bothered if they do or don't.

Retaining warranty card just seems standard in UK.now, but buying experience varies greatly.
Soultime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 02:24 PM   #104
DannyB01
"TRF" Member

Now that you have the watch in your possession, go back to the store and demand the warranty card and tell them your insurer will not insure you unless they site the original as a photo copy will not do, I would also contact my local retail obudsman and explain the situation the fact that you have paid for it makes it all yours, I don’t care what rolex says they don’t make law and don’t have any right to withhold by law. Your warranty card. Sure abide whilst in store to get the watch, but unless they made you sign some agreement whilst there, there’s nothing they can do. And it’s now your watch so if you want to sell it you can.

I think rolex needs to pull their head out, just another reason why I stopped buying their watches for now. They have the money to churn out more but they don’t becaue they want to play the exclusiveity game and just to spend your hard earned money they make you jump hoops with fake waiting lists etc. “oh but mr AD sir I have 120k I want to buy some watches for my family and friends today” “no worries sir I have your BLNR out the back it just magically appeared from our friendly rolex genie”

I think Rolex is turning many people off at the moment, prettys sad really for such an iconic brand with a great history.
DannyB01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 02:37 PM   #105
Soultime
"TRF" Member

Posts about consumer law in different parts of the world aren't always relevant to the OP.

Just saying.... as when the situation in the UK comes up in threads, there are normally a number of posts citing various consumer laws that apply elsewhere.
But if you are in any country, it doesn't matter what the law is in any other parts of the world.
Soultime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 02:45 PM   #106
rominvicta
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, BLNR, SM, GM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrummyJames View Post
I managed to bag a BLNR today having been on a ‘list’ for 2 years. The experience of buying the watch was pretty awful. I dared to ask if I could have the plastic box the watch came in. I was told the companies policy was not to allow me the box. Apparently if I sold it on eBay and photographed the box with the store code they would get in trouble.

My watch was taken out the back where the manager removed all of the stickers, the warranty card was then removed and photocopied never to be seen again (I have to pick it up in 12 months). I had just paid £6850 of my hard earned cash to be treated with contempt. I have no intention of selling MY watch, however if I did it has nothing to do with the dealer!

The current Rolex situation is wrong on so many levels.

Apologies for venting, I just thought I’d share the current UK dealer experience.
I understand why do Rolex apply such a policy nonetheless i am not able to comprehend why should it be done in such a gruesome way. Additionally such a policy deprives Rolex customers of what they are entitled to by being customers, namely joy of experience. Personally i find it annoying and believe Rolex should try to compensate its customers in some way like Rolex gifts being furnished together with the delivery of the watch, or providing you an option to buy any watch of your preference that so far you have not bought within a certain time frame etc. This will somewhat compensate the negative feeling of Rolex customers.
rominvicta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 02:59 PM   #107
brain168
"TRF" Member

Coffins aren't a big deal but I don't understand why it wouldn't be given if the customer wanted it. They're cheap and ugly but they're good for storing watches in a safe or safety box at a bank. If I'm buying overseas or travelling with it and not on my wrist, I prefer a coffin - no need to buy a watch roll of carry case but that's just my personal preference.

I don't quite understand the AD's point of you being able to flip it on ebay. The old ones had the serial of the watch but the new ones have a slot where the hang tag is. If you're smart enough to cover the serial on the watch, the hang tag then I assume as a flipper, you'd be smart enough to cover up the serial on the coffin. If AD is that concerned then remove the information.

The practices the OP have stated are quite normal but I'd be really annoyed if I wasn't given the chance to remove the stickers myself. I'm sure some posters will agree with me - there is some enjoyment to hunting them down and peeling it off.
brain168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 03:07 PM   #108
Net-man
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sky-D, Sea-D
Absolutely sir, you are entitled to the box and papers. OP and some other are fussing over the plastic shipping case, which quite frankly a lot of people don't even know about.
When you buy a watch from display case, do you ask for shipping material?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jps3b View Post
I’m politely asking. I’m not being sarcastic. Doesn’t “box and papers” add value to these watches when sold 2nd hand? I would never walk out of any watch store without proper documentation and packaging. Even me, who doesn’t typically sell my watches expects the box that the watch comes in

Net-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 03:35 PM   #109
Chary
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 15407ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPE View Post
Yes, I agree with you. You have paid for everything including the warranty card. Unless it says it in the T&C's when you paid, this part is important -then if not, it is yours, not theirs to retain. Ask for the return of your property or report it to the Police. That would be interesting what would happen next as it is your property Not theirs ?. If you agree they can retain it, then offer that if they want to hold onto it there is a retaining rental cost you will charge at £200.00 per month which is payable now. It is yours, they have the choice to decide. Get in trouble, pay a rental for holding it or just give it back now.
This would be interesting to see unfold.

Sorry but they are doing that here in the US as well now. As far as them keeping the card he could have just refused to buy the watch and the watch would have been sold under the current terms within minutes. It is frustrating for now, but in the long run it will deter grey dealers to jack up the price on certain pieces. If indeed OP is a true wearer and really wanted the piece, then he should not worry and be happy he got his dream watch AND AT RETAIL or he could have gone grey and pay and extra 2k-3k in order to have the card ( which is meaningless UNLESS he intends to sell the watch ). I wish AP would do this now so that we have more special pieces available to normal buyers like me without having to pay inflated prices from grey market.

Instagram: Chary1
Chary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 04:17 PM   #110
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Just be glad you've got the watch, hundreds can't get one now, all the other stuff is standard anti-flipper policy now, its not personal.
Spot on
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 04:27 PM   #111
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyB01 View Post
Now that you have the watch in your possession, go back to the store and demand the warranty card and tell them your insurer will not insure you unless they site the original as a photo copy will not do, I would also contact my local retail obudsman and explain the situation the fact that you have paid for it makes it all yours, I don’t care what rolex says they don’t make law and don’t have any right to withhold by law. Your warranty card. Sure abide whilst in store to get the watch, but unless they made you sign some agreement whilst there, there’s nothing they can do. And it’s now your watch so if you want to sell it you can.

I think rolex needs to pull their head out, just another reason why I stopped buying their watches for now. They have the money to churn out more but they don’t becaue they want to play the exclusiveity game and just to spend your hard earned money they make you jump hoops with fake waiting lists etc. “oh but mr AD sir I have 120k I want to buy some watches for my family and friends today” “no worries sir I have your BLNR out the back it just magically appeared from our friendly rolex genie”

I think Rolex is turning many people off at the moment, prettys sad really for such an iconic brand with a great history.
Old 16 October 2018, 04:28 PM   #112
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R!$ View Post
these should be mailed.
Most UK ADs now request you go back in with the watch to collect the warranty card.....for obvious reasons
Old 16 October 2018, 04:46 PM   #113
Alpino
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhren917 View Post
There's at least one , the s/n of the watch . Here it is (hidden by me) on my last 2 buys .

With that and the barcode, it's easy for Rolex to find where the watch comes from ...

Alpino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 04:46 PM   #114
SC11
Banned

Watch: AP ☠️
Bought a new Rolex today. Terrible experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhren917 View Post

They are a generic box but there should be stickers which does note model/AD or allocation numbers so the AD can be determined.

But some times they are removed

Like so
SC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 04:59 PM   #115
SC11
Banned

Bought a new Rolex today. Terrible experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpino View Post
There's at least one , the s/n of the watch . Here it is (hidden by me) on my last 2 buys .

With that and the barcode, it's easy for Rolex to find where the watch comes from ...

best me to it!

Also Rolex can track the watch to the exact AD branch if was sold by the serial number hence why most dealers blur it out in pics.

Here is a BLRO up on chrono being sold by a dealer and they have posted the watch and pics of the a photo copy of the warranty card and till receipt so wouldn’t take much work to figure out the buyer! No more Rolex’s for him haha
Old 16 October 2018, 05:21 PM   #116
R G
Banned

Congrats on your new watch, OP.

It’s funny, I guess that without forums like this one, you’d not have even known to ask about the plastic coffin/shipping container. And then, when you don’t get given it, you report it here and get empathy from the people who put the seed out there in the first place haha - just a vicious circle!

In regards to the warranty card, I really just do not understand the issue, not specifically to your story, but to anyone that is irritated at the fact it’ll be provided in 12 months time?! Ok, your preference would be to walk away with it, but that’s not happening, and If something goes wrong with the watch, you’re still covered!

I do think that the AD experience, more often than not, is hugely underwhelming.

My gripe, would be if I was treated with a lack of respect/courtesy, from someone who was taking £7k of my money. I wouldn’t accept being made to feel ‘uncomfortably’ lucky for getting a desirable watch, regardless of how popular it was or how long the waiting lists were.

At least they gave the OP a medium sized box, rather than the standard small size for steel models.
R G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 05:25 PM   #117
SC11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by R G View Post
Congrats on your new watch, OP.

It’s funny, I guess that without forums like this one, you’d not have even known to ask about the plastic coffin/shipping container. And then, when you don’t get given it, you report it here and get empathy from the people who put the seed out there in the first place haha - just a vicious circle!

In regards to the warranty card, I really just do not understand the issue, not specifically to your story, but to anyone that is irritated at the fact it’ll be provided in 12 months time?! Ok, your preference would be to walk away with it, but that’s not happening, and If something goes wrong with the watch, you’re still covered!

I do think that the AD experience, more often than not, is hugely underwhelming.

My gripe, would be if I was treated with a lack of respect/courtesy, from someone who was taking £7k of my money. I wouldn’t accept being made to feel ‘uncomfortably’ lucky for getting a desirable watch, regardless of how popular it was or how long the waiting lists were.

At least they gave the OP a medium sized box, rather than the standard small size for steel models.
Nail and head right there
Old 16 October 2018, 05:32 PM   #118
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
Most UK ADs now request you go back in with the watch to collect the warranty card.....for obvious reasons
obviously...how else do you get on a waitlist for something else?

Mailing it keeps you away from the store. Plus i suppose it proves you are local for those AD's with a local only policy
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 05:34 PM   #119
acfcheung
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K for now
Yea thats kinda sucks but hey be happy and enjoy the watch in good health and wealth !

Sent from my VKY-L29 using Tapatalk
acfcheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 05:42 PM   #120
uncleluck
"TRF" Member

Just for the record (encase anyone significant ever reads this)

Experiences like this are exactly the reason I would never buy a new Rolex!

I know I’ll probably get “good” etc but I don’t care. When buying a luxury item it should be a pleasure & nothing like this.

The genuine buyer gets treated like this to ‘stop flippers’ and all the time the big grey dealers with their mates in high places still get the watches they want. The genuine buyer is made a fool of.

And when this bubble bursts and the Instagram generation of credit ‘rich’, wanna-be rappers & social media celebs move on to another brand I hope the dealers remember their behaviour when they’re grovelling for a sale to the hard working man.
uncleluck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
116710blnr , united kingdom