The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 October 2018, 06:40 AM   #1
BrummyJames
"TRF" Member

Bought a new Rolex today. Terrible experience.

I managed to bag a BLNR today having been on a ‘list’ for 2 years. The experience of buying the watch was pretty awful. I dared to ask if I could have the plastic box the watch came in. I was told the companies policy was not to allow me the box. Apparently if I sold it on eBay and photographed the box with the store code they would get in trouble.

My watch was taken out the back where the manager removed all of the stickers, the warranty card was then removed and photocopied never to be seen again (I have to pick it up in 12 months). I had just paid £6850 of my hard earned cash to be treated with contempt. I have no intention of selling MY watch, however if I did it has nothing to do with the dealer!

The current Rolex situation is wrong on so many levels.

Apologies for venting, I just thought I’d share the current UK dealer experience.
BrummyJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 06:43 AM   #2
Brew
"TRF" Member

Sorry the experience wasn't what you dreamed of 2 years ago, but congratulations on your new watch. I hope you enjoy it, nonetheless.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 06:44 AM   #3
Walts
"TRF" Member

No apologies necessary you are right !!
Walts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 06:45 AM   #4
R!$
Banned

Please dont let the new Rolex policies upset you
They are only meant to deter flippers who make these watches needlessly more expensive
Congrats on your beautiful new watch
R!$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 06:46 AM   #5
upandgo99
"TRF" Member

Sounds like a right shitty experience but try and put that behind you and focus on the fact you now have a BN (without box) hehe Batman!

Think of us plebs who are basically told to "F off when asking if any SS sports are available.
upandgo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 06:47 AM   #6
NeoAnderson
"TRF" Member

Yea, this just shows a watch is a watch. Don't take it to heart. Happy ticking!
NeoAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 06:47 AM   #7
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Just be glad you've got the watch, hundreds can't get one now, all the other stuff is standard anti-flipper policy now, its not personal.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 06:47 AM   #8
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

But you got the watch, right?

Congrats!

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 06:47 AM   #9
kearez
"TRF" Member

These are company policies. Enjoy your watch! That’s the more important thing.

People believe buying a Rolex will be huge experience, it’s same for buying a Mercedes, Porsche and I’m guessing Ferrari. You pay the money and they give you a thank you and that’s it.
kearez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 06:48 AM   #10
Navarino
2024 Pledge Member

Sorry to hear the AD experience was not commensurate to the watch you received.

Good news though! You got a BLNR! It's an awesome watch and I hope you are thrilled it's finally on your wrist. Enjoy it in the best of health and welcome to the club!
Navarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 06:54 AM   #11
BrummyJames
"TRF" Member

Cheers fellas. The watch is sublime and I would never dream of selling it.

I can see why it’s so popular. It’s a crying shame more people can’t enjoy it!
BrummyJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 06:56 AM   #12
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrummyJames View Post
I managed to bag a BLNR today having been on a ‘list’ for 2 years. The experience of buying the watch was pretty awful. I dared to ask if I could have the plastic box the watch came in. I was told the companies policy was not to allow me the box. Apparently if I sold it on eBay and photographed the box with the store code they would get in trouble.

My watch was taken out the back where the manager removed all of the stickers, the warranty card was then removed and photocopied never to be seen again (I have to pick it up in 12 months). I had just paid £6850 of my hard earned cash to be treated with contempt. I have no intention of selling MY watch, however if I did it has nothing to do with the dealer!

The current Rolex situation is wrong on so many levels.

Apologies for venting, I just thought I’d share the current UK dealer experience.
Its policy to explain before hand. I know that for sure. If they didn't follow that policy im sorry, but i suspect they did. However you bought the watch anyway, and you didn't have to.

IMO if you are going to take a stand, you weaken your position by accepting the watch. Just enjoy it and the piece of plastic will be with you before you know it.

FWIW Patek doesnt let AD's give out brown shipping boxes anymore either. People got mad, but from their view point its a luxury watch in a cardboard box and it looks cheap. Plus flippers were getting more money for "double sealed" watches. AND Rhone (the distributor) retains the certificate of origin for two years on certain watches and have done so for quite a while.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 06:56 AM   #13
DPE
"TRF" Member

Yes, I agree with you. You have paid for everything including the warranty card. Unless it says it in the T&C's when you paid, this part is important -then if not, it is yours, not theirs to retain. Ask for the return of your property or report it to the Police. That would be interesting what would happen next as it is your property Not theirs ?. If you agree they can retain it, then offer that if they want to hold onto it there is a retaining rental cost you will charge at £200.00 per month which is payable now. It is yours, they have the choice to decide. Get in trouble, pay a rental for holding it or just give it back now.
This would be interesting to see unfold.
DPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 06:56 AM   #14
bp1000
"TRF" Member

Everything you said is correct

The current situation is rubbish but be happy with your watch

I suspect you are talking about goldsmiths. They are so straight wirh their rules.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 06:57 AM   #15
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16570
I've always considered it a courtesy for the AD to remove the stickers and to dispose of the casket as they see fit.

The box and "papers" are sufficient for my needs and in fact, it's unlikely I'll ever need them, even though they're all stashed away.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 06:58 AM   #16
Sal_UKSheffield
"TRF" Member

Congrats- Enjoy the watch - shit loads of people still in the beggars que lol
Sal_UKSheffield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 07:01 AM   #17
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPE View Post
Yes, I agree with you. You have paid for everything including the warranty card. Unless it says it in the T&C's when you paid, this part is important -then if not, it is yours, not theirs to retain. Ask for the return of your property or report it to the Police. That would be interesting what would happen next as it is your property Not theirs ?. If you agree they can retain it, then offer that if they want to hold onto it there is a retaining rental cost you will charge at £200.00 per month which is payable now. It is yours, they have the choice to decide. Get in trouble, pay a rental for holding it or just give it back now.
This would be interesting to see unfold.
you are dreaming. Its been discussed over and over. Rolex UK approves of this option as well. Buyer agrees to it as a condition of sale. If they insist on the card, the watch isnt sold.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 16 October 2018, 07:02 AM   #18
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
I'll be honest. If these types of policies slow down flippers even 1%, I'm all for it.

Congrats on a nice watch.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 07:05 AM   #19
uansari1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
The only reason I want the coffins is that they make great travel cases. Interestingly, my AD gave me a few so I’d have some for my other watches as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Explorer 124270
Omega Seamaster GMT 50th Anniversary
uansari1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 07:11 AM   #20
SC11
Banned

Watch: AP ☠️
I do feel for the OP, I’ve been witness to a change in how some AD act towards the clients especially amongst the two big players in the UK, maybe it’s down to young and high turn over of staff but in general it’s not what it used to be.

In a way it feels like they (the AD) act like they are doing the buyer a favour by allowing them to buy the watch! Kind of like it’s their possession.

It’s not so much these extra rules it’s more the way they are implemented

Bring back the good old independents
SC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 07:12 AM   #21
Dsmith1974
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40
Yes, focus on the watch and the price tag. You did great. Lots of folk (me included) will go the same and process and fork out > £9K for the same BLNR.

The Seiko boutique in London give the best buying experience I have ever known. My GF and I must’ve been looking and talking with the sales staff for about an hour before buying a Snowflake and then spent another hour after the purchase toasting the watch with a bottle of sake, chatting about watches in general and being invited to a future event to show off some Credor minute repeaters that were bought over from Japan.

Buying a Rolex may have been a similar experience in the 1920s?

It’s just the difference between a buyers and sellers market. The Seiko experience was memorable and commendable but it wouldn’t stop me choosing a Rolex over a Seiko (unless I preferred the Seiko).
Dsmith1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 07:14 AM   #22
nigelUK
"TRF" Member

You just purchased a beautiful thing that lots of people want, with a 5 year warranty that you'll wear everyday and not only that it's just increased in value by nearly £2000 the moment you walked out the shop ...

Enjoy ! don't sweat the small stuff
nigelUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 07:14 AM   #23
SC11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
I'll be honest. If these types of policies slow down flippers even 1%, I'm all for it.

Congrats on a nice watch.
Highly unlikely within days chrono and the like have watches for sale with a photocopy of the warranty card, the real deal will follow X months later and they still are seeing around the same as the ones with.
Old 16 October 2018, 07:15 AM   #24
Terrakot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex LVc/BLNR
some people even in a war zone would complain about noise on streets..))
Congrats!
Old 16 October 2018, 07:18 AM   #25
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC11 View Post
Highly unlikely within days chrono and the like have watches for sale with a photocopy of the warranty card, the real deal will follow X months later and they still are seeing around the same as the ones with.
a photocopy of money isnt money and i would argue a photocopy of a warranty isnt the original document. Its for "record keeping and insurance" if your watch breaks you need to provide the actual card and if Rolex actually requires it, the watch doesnt have a warranty. Original purchaser can go back to the AD and get the card or have them send to Rolex on their behalf. A flipped watch its not that simple. John Smith sells the watch to to Steve Jones and watch breaks. Steve Jones cant walk into WoS and say i need Johns card, they wont give it to some random guy coming in as they are specifically holding it for someone else per the terms of the sale. Does he even have the ability to contact the original buyer if it was sold through a 3rd party like WF? probably not.

Its not a problem at this moment, but just wait when a few of these flipped photo copied warranty card watches break, and im pretty sure there will be some threads about denied warranty work for lack of original documents.
Old 16 October 2018, 07:19 AM   #26
Sarosh
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Today in WoS on regent street I “registered” my interest for a white dial SkyD. The first thing I was told after registering was two conditions. 1. They remove all protective stickers 2. Warranty card withheld for 12 months. Since I will probably have to wait in excess of 12 months to get the watch in the first place I’m sure an extra 12 months without the card afterwards really won’t affect me.

When in Rome do as the Romans’ do. If it deters flippers then so be it.

Congrats on the BLNR, it’s a stunner.

“It’s a watch, it tells time. Not much else”
Sarosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 07:23 AM   #27
T01
"TRF" Member

Try to forget it and enjoy the watch. If you have no intent to sell then I guess what is 12 months without the papers.
T01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 07:31 AM   #28
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
Enjoy your new watch!
Old 16 October 2018, 07:32 AM   #29
FTX I
"TRF" Member

You bought a great watch. Forget the rest.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 07:33 AM   #30
SC11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
a photocopy of money isnt money and i would argue a photocopy of a warranty isnt the original document. Its for "record keeping and insurance" if your watch breaks you need to provide the actual card and if Rolex actually requires it, the watch doesnt have a warranty. Original purchaser can go back to the AD and get the card or have them send to Rolex on their behalf. A flipped watch its not that simple. John Smith sells the watch to to Steve Jones and watch breaks. Steve Jones cant walk into WoS and say i need Johns card, they wont give it to some random guy coming in as they are specifically holding it for someone else per the terms of the sale. Does he even have the ability to contact the original buyer if it was sold through a 3rd party like WF? probably not.

Its not a problem at this moment, but just wait when a few of these flipped photo copied warranty card watches break, and im pretty sure there will be some threads about denied warranty work for lack of original documents.
Not agreeing or disagreeing with you, just stating its not really haulted the dealers!

Also let me add I’m not against the actions against resellers but the attitude some deals have with their head stuck up their own arse.

We are alright as we have a decent relationship with our AD’s

Tags
116710blnr , united kingdom