The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 2 January 2020, 02:49 PM   #211
LVQatarVillagio
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lady Datejust 36mm
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.m.b. View Post
My first Rolex was a Datejust. Great watch, but I sold it when I purchased my first Patek. The only Rolex I currently own is a Submariner and I won't be parting with it, as I find it to be the perfect, no hassle, do everything watch.
reading all the comments, now i am changing my mind as to why i bought the DJ36. Im a woman and now im wanting to have sub or daytona. When i check the resail value, it kinda disappoints me because it decreases a lot. i wish i have bought the submariner or daytona
Old 2 January 2020, 03:04 PM   #212
Anamelistic
Banned

Watch: Seiko SKX007
I think the price difference seems about right and IMO worth it. Cerachrome Bezel, extra water depth (just security purpose with triplock crown) and a Glidelock that is worth far more than you can know until you own one. That 2k$ is A LOT of bag for your buck as far as Rolex pricing goes, TBH feels like you get shorted on a DJ when you talk about it like that.
Old 2 January 2020, 03:13 PM   #213
lamnyc
"TRF" Member

Rolex sports watches has a better record of resale value. Datejust... nope.
Old 3 January 2020, 03:48 AM   #214
mistercoach32
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
When it comes to a luxury watch, the overwhelming vast majority purchase on aesthetics. Why does someone purchase a pair Oliver Peoples wire frame prescription glasses vs Oliver Peoples acetate frame prescription glasses? One may be slightly more overpriced than the other and the acetate may be able to withstand a slightly higher fall, but it's the same prescription. The two watches you're comparing are completely different aesthetically. As 90% of the contributors to this way overbeaten thread have stated, you're comparing apples to oranges.
Old 3 January 2020, 06:36 AM   #215
zewill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhawli View Post
If Rolex (hypothetically speaking of course) was forced to discontinue either the Sub or DJ line - I think we all know which one would get chopped!

That aside, when I got the call for my AP RO, my DJ41 went out the door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
No, we don't all know... It's a stupid hypothesis to be honest. Dj is the bread and butter of Rolex so to be honest they would cut the sub. Which is guess is not the point you tried to make?
Old 3 January 2020, 07:16 AM   #216
DJTOSUB
"TRF" Member

The Sub and DJ are both great watches. And totally different.

I own both and currently the DJ41 is getting more wrist time. Maybe the cliche about old men, Porsches and Rolexes is true.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DJ41 Wrist Shot.jpg (130.7 KB, 218 views)
Old 3 January 2020, 07:41 AM   #217
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Because I don't want a DJ?
Bingo.
Old 3 January 2020, 08:03 AM   #218
Justinmg
"TRF" Member

Watch: PO
I think it is for the image, 99% of sub owners have never dove. The SD didn’t even get popular until they added a stupid Cyclops and enlarged the case. The SD 116600 was the last divers watch. And then to really drive the nail home they release a TT SD.

Does it do anything? It tells the time.
Old 3 January 2020, 08:48 AM   #219
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
I’ll ask my wife if she can promise me to do the same thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-427 View Post
I am not a collector, so if I want a new Rolex, I have to sell the one I'm wearing. I had a 2014 all steel sub I sold to get a two tone Datejust II because I liked the 41mm size and thought a touch of gold would be nice. After a month of wearing the Datejust, I realized I'd made a big mistake. It looked way too flashy for my taste, felt light on my wrist, and it seemed like the gold scratched if I breathed on it. (slight exaggeration) I sold the Datejust, and lucked into a brand new all steel Ceramic Submariner from my AD at list with my name on the warranty card. Lesson learned, I'll be keeping the Submariner until I'm toes up. Plus, my sweet wife has promised to bury me with it when I croak.
Old 3 January 2020, 10:38 AM   #220
BroncoOne
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhawli View Post
If Rolex (hypothetically speaking of course) was forced to discontinue either the Sub or DJ line - I think we all know which one would get chopped!

That aside, when I got the call for my AP RO, my DJ41 went out the door.

Beautiful watch tho!

Oddly, I have a DJ with a rotating bezel! It is my first Rolex, bought new in early 2000s. Its officially called an Oyster Perpetual Datejust TURNOGRAPH.

Turnographs are odd ducks in the Rolex line. They are also called Thunderbirds due to first being manufactured for that stunt pilot team. They were discontinued, probably because of the crossover similarity to the GMTs and Subs. Too many rotating bezel watches to fit in. They were brought back when I got mine, then discontinued again just a few years ago. Its worth more than 3 times what I paid for it,

I still wear it, and wear my Sub to the beach, on the boat etc. I travel with the Batman 2.0 GMT, as each has been designed for and are great for specific activities. One could really do it all (except for GMT hand), but I like each for different reasons.

I'm not sure that I could choose between them.
Old 3 January 2020, 10:41 AM   #221
BroncoOne
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abarth90 View Post
I got the solution for your problem: get a "turn-o-graph" :D
Old 26 January 2020, 04:36 AM   #222
lhawli
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zewill View Post
No, we don't all know... It's a stupid hypothesis to be honest. Dj is the bread and butter of Rolex so to be honest they would cut the sub. Which is guess is not the point you tried to make?

Funny you call it a stupid hypothesis yet you hypothesize also.

Yes actually, the point I was making is that they would cut the SubC since the DJ is the most sold model.

Rolex GMT Master II [116710BLNR]
Rolex Cosmograph Daytona [116500LN]
Old 26 January 2020, 06:30 AM   #223
alwinnng
"TRF" Member

I wanted a sub because of the bezel. If I were to hit it onto a table, or the door, or the wall, it would survive the knock way better than a smooth/fluted bezel
Old 26 January 2020, 06:52 AM   #224
PNasc
"TRF" Member

Well i actually found myself in the same debate a few weeks ago. The thing is, at least for me the feeling i had after trying both was completely different and the sub is the way for me to go personally.

all about the feeling not much logic... As I think when you buy something for a couple of thousands of dollars or euros etc you go based on some sort of emotional instinct. :)
Old 26 January 2020, 06:17 PM   #225
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabbadon8 View Post
I'm not taking a position, but I'm interested in hearing the opinions here on the following point (playing devil's advocate): Why hunt for and pay more for a Sub when you can get a DJ easily, in light of:

- Both Sub and DJ available on an oyster bracelet. (These are more or less the same besides from the clasp).

- Both Sub (date) and DJ have the same movement (3135).

- Both are water resistant to a point where there is no functional difference for most owners. Sub (300m) v. DJ (100m).

- SS DJ costs $6,600 retail v. SS Sub date $8,550

Is the approx. $2,000 USD and extra effort worth it for a rotating bezel and mostly unused depth resistance? Is it simply the look that makes the difference? Interested in the thoughts of the WIS here.

My DJ for reference:

Datejust is a nice watch, but for me I think it’s a more dressy watch. I even see it as more for the older “gent” although I realise that’s not always the case.

My first ever Rolex as a very young guy nearly 20 years ago was a Datejust, but I quickly moved to the sports models and much prefer them
Old 27 January 2020, 04:52 AM   #226
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
There's only one correct answer:
Get both.
Old 17 May 2020, 05:03 PM   #227
Chriss1709
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust 126334
Datejust 41 for me

I have enjoyed this thread greatly and love the snark. While I may be in the minority, I would take a Datejust 41 any day of the week over a sub. I traded in my DJ 36 (116234) for a DJ41 (white Roman dial and steel jubilee). I considered the sub but it just didn’t have the utility to me that a DJ has. Here’s how I see it (with some sarcastic but entirely tongue-in-cheek commentary)

I am. 39 year-old lawyer (read cubicle drone). I dress in khakis and a dress shirt every day I am not wearing a suit and nice khaki shorts or jeans on the weekends. The deepest I tend to dive is the bottom of a swimming pool or small lake and most of my timing needs are met by my alarm clock and microwave oven. I don’t own a tank top and if I ever lift weights at the gym (for purposes of this lost let’s pretend that is likely to happen), I would leave my watch home.

I love the history behind the Datejust, the feeling of having such a complex precision instrument on my wrist and the mix of modern proportions with understated elegance. It is beautiful yet understated with a suit and crisp dress short, blends in wonderfully with khakis and a polo and is passable in jeans. It may not look good with a wetsuit but if I ever find myself wearing a wetsuit, I am sure there will be a beach bender nearby selling watches. And those watches will probably look like subs. I find the date useful becise I often forget it. I guess a rotating timing bezel could be useful for timing my microwave lunch in the break room or timing a boiled egg in the morning (the sub would look great with my bathrobe) but really I can’t think of an occasion when I would need it.

The executives I work with wear subs or Apple watches. The non-executives wear sub clones, Apple watches or whatever Flava Flav Dish saucer is currently in fashion. I have never seen anyone use the rotating timing bezel to time their expense report and I find I can get ally remember how many minutes have elapsed if I look at my watch. (If I out my lunch in the microwave at 12:25 I will know it is ready when my DJ41 says 12:30 even without a timing bezel—although I am sure I would look baller setting my timing bezel to help me remember it).

No one I work with notices that my watch is a Rolex and I don’t feel the need to point it out. It looks great and feels great on my wrist). I know a lot of other lawyers who wear subs. People notice that they are rolexes and comment on it (or the sub owner finds a way to bring it up in conversation if no one comments). I guess that is my biggest problem with subs. While some people have a legitimate use for theory feature, based on the amount of tools I know who wears them but never go near water, I tend to think of it as a “Tool watch” (see what I did there :-D).

I bash the sub mostly in jest. If I had enough money for a second Rolex it probably would be a no date sub—although MY DJ would continue to get the most use. I can think of all the ways in which I would use it—like timing how long it takes the waitress at a restaurant to deliver my food and then proving to her that she took too long by pointing to my !!!ROLEX!!! (Oh, and by the way, did you know James Bond wore one?)
Old 17 May 2020, 07:32 PM   #228
TempoKing
Banned

Watch: Rolex GMT 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabbadon8 View Post
I'm not taking a position, but I'm interested in hearing the opinions here on the following point (playing devil's advocate): Why hunt for and pay more for a Sub when you can get a DJ easily, in light of:

- Both Sub and DJ available on an oyster bracelet. (These are more or less the same besides from the clasp).

- Both Sub (date) and DJ have the same movement (3135).

- Both are water resistant to a point where there is no functional difference for most owners. Sub (300m) v. DJ (100m).

- SS DJ costs $6,600 retail v. SS Sub date $8,550

Is the approx. $2,000 USD and extra effort worth it for a rotating bezel and mostly unused depth resistance? Is it simply the look that makes the difference? Interested in the thoughts of the WIS here.

My DJ for reference:

It’s not about the money....it’s all about the looks
Your Datejust is great for telling time...and that’s about it
The Sub is the epitome of all sporty looks..
Closed Thread