The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 October 2022, 09:21 PM   #31
AEV
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP & Rolex
It's the diver in my collection and the Sub to have IMO.
The dial is mesmerizing. Probably wait a bit more for prices to come down further.
AEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2022, 09:49 PM   #32
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
Pro:
Fat case and lugs
Sunburst dial

Cons:
Bezel color mismatch with dial.
Overhyped

For me it’s a no go
Pretty much this ^.

For me a pro is EITHER the Sunburst dial, OR the flat coloured bezel - just not both together!
Old 27 October 2022, 10:23 PM   #33
russ86
"TRF" Member

Yes, I purchased my years ago and it was the most worn watch in my collection over the years
russ86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2022, 11:58 PM   #34
Toproll85
"TRF" Member

Arguments for or against are blah blah. Put one on your wrist and see if it works for you.
It is as simple as that IMHO.

For me, it remained in my collection, because it is special. Otherwise, I think I'd prefer my SD and others to a common and more boring black version.

Grönefeld 1941 RCF ¦ H. Moser Heritage Dual Time ¦ JLC Q1308470 ¦ L&S 1815 Up/Down ¦ L&S Zeitwerk Date ¦ UN Freak X carbonium
Toproll85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2022, 12:16 AM   #35
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
If you have to be talked in or out of a watch, its no. Just the impulse and urge from reading these forums. It will pass. Wait 6 months and if the itch is still there, then take it seriously.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2022, 12:19 AM   #36
ltmgeller
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
The dial is stunning and that alone would be grounds for the purchase. You just have to decide at what price do you want it. Happy hunting.
Old 28 October 2022, 01:36 AM   #37
TheWatchmen
"TRF" Member

Had one and sold it, just didn’t bond with it though it got more comments than any other watch I’ve owned. I had to scratch the itch by buying one to know whether I REALLY would enjoy it as much as I hoped I would, but alas, I did not.

Great watch, but typically something people add as a 3rd or 4th piece.

For the daily wearers, congrats I couldn’t do it.
TheWatchmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2022, 02:26 AM   #38
Plant
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 36, Nomos Ahoi
I think someone posted an edited photo on this forum where they stretched the lugs / case a little bit wider and said they hated the supercase because it looked like a "bar of soap".

I know it was edited, but I thought this was pretty funny and now I also cant see the supercase and not think bar of soap
Plant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2022, 02:53 AM   #39
Llamathurst
"TRF" Member

You really can't go wrong with this one...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210505_162806.jpg (265.7 KB, 204 views)
Llamathurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2022, 03:01 AM   #40
h20addict
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
It is hands down the most unique factory offered Submariner ever produced.
h20addict is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2022, 03:56 AM   #41
dwjez14
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them
I had a hulk twice. I couldn’t grow to love it. It looks amazing to me but I get bored wearing it on my wrist. Now my new sub lv. Love it !
dwjez14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2022, 03:58 AM   #42
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwjez14 View Post
I had a hulk twice. I couldn’t grow to love it. It looks amazing to me but I get bored wearing it on my wrist. Now my new sub lv. Love it !
I agree - the new SubLV green bezel just pops off the black dial. Really love it.
Old 28 October 2022, 04:11 AM   #43
Bobcat Sig
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II, Exp Polar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. K View Post
It's a great watch. For pros and cons.... The best reason you should buy one is because you WANT IT.

Don't think they will reissue it, so should only appreciate in price.
And that's it. I want it. And because I've amassed enough watches that I'm well into collector territory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign View Post
Reasons to pass…

Very likely, you are caught up in the hype. Back before they were discontinued, they sat in ADs cases. Many said the green was too much; wearing one would be clownish. They are too expensive - more than double retail. It’s cool when your watch doubles in value, but if you are the guy paying the premium, that’s goofy.

Reasons to buy…

Green is your absolute favorite color and you’re too rich to worry about ten grand here or there. You buy what catches your eye and don’t care what others say.
You know, it's funny. When I jumped head-long into horology about two years ago, I was almost anti-Sub. I found them to be everywhere. Almost ubiquitous and it was the safe choice for one's first Rolex - and for good reason. But I like to be different and put any Subs aside.

But now, with the Hulk's place in Rolex history and its uniqueness; I'm drawn to it. Admittedly, green isn't my favorite color, but I do appreciate color and I've found that I'm drawn to watches that have some sort of color pop if they don't otherwise command a big wrist presence. The Hulk seems a good fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo99 View Post
it's the rolex signature colour, what else could you ask for?
I know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Oyster View Post
I’m in the “into” group. Terrific watch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manamana View Post
It's a beautiful green discontinued Rolex Submariner that has presence on the wrist and you love it. This could be looked at as the best Sub ever produced by Rolex in years ahead. What are you still waiting for? You know the Hulk, Daytona Panda, and Pepsi are must haves in most Rolex collectors collections now. The Hulk was discontinued with huge waiting lists at ADs. It doesn't matter if it was not popular for the first 4-5 years, that's an advantage, the fewer sold the better. Look at any Hulk thread you will notice the main reasons posters don't like the Hulk is they don't like green, and that it's 2x over retail. You like green, and retail doesn't matter if the watch is discontinued, it may go to 3x or 1.5x, but for sure it will be a collectable Rolex in the future. Some people just don't like paying over retail, and that doesn't matter when you are looking to buy a watch you love, it's a choice for others it doesn't concern you, and it applies to all Rolex for them.
I get that. Fortunately, I'm not adherent to never-pay-over-MSRP, especially as nearly all of my watches are out of production. THis is true with the Hulk. The only downside is that, as you said, prices are quite, erm... robust at the moment. But, that's the price of admission for watches like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb View Post
A big yes from me! And if you haven't seen one in person, you're in trouble. It's even better than pictures can do justice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey View Post
LoVe it!
Oh man, you're really feeding in my desire! Thanks for sharing the picture.

I've yet to handle one in person, so good to know that I should be prepared when I do finally handle one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
I own one and it is a great watch. Buy right, give it try and see who it works. They are not making anymore of them and the current dip should help with the price. Go for it.
Right on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toproll85 View Post
Arguments for or against are blah blah. Put one on your wrist and see if it works for you.
It is as simple as that IMHO.

For me, it remained in my collection, because it is special. Otherwise, I think I'd prefer my SD and others to a common and more boring black version.

Love the pictures. I suspect it will slot in nicely next to my SD43.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
If you have to be talked in or out of a watch, its no. Just the impulse and urge from reading these forums. It will pass. Wait 6 months and if the itch is still there, then take it seriously.
Oh, I don't need to be talked into it. I'm quite sure I'll acquire a Hulk at some point. It's more that I wanted to discuss this watch because even though I'm relatively new to TRF, we need more discussion about watches and less about disappointing AD stories or locked threads about perceived watch asset values.

Nonetheless, I'm not purchasing this week or even this month. That should give the market some time to cool, which I'm good with given the current price average of the Hulk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20addict View Post
It is hands down the most unique factory offered Submariner ever produced.
I like the cut of your jib, mister. That's my thought as well.
Bobcat Sig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2022, 04:16 AM   #44
daveswordfish
"TRF" Member

I love green and really tried to love the Hulk but just couldn’t get there. Tried it on several times, even walked around once in the sunlight with it for a while. Didn’t do it for me, as much as I wanted it to. Of course this is totally subjective, but here’s my thinking.

- I think the bezel color is not only “flat” but, in most lighting, clashes with the dial. It needs to compliment or match and it does neither.

- The maxicase, which I never cared for, is even more angular and jarring with the green dial/bezel to my eyes. Works better on other models.

- There are GREAT Rolexes and GREAT green dialed watches…Hulk is neither.

I know some folks love the Hulk…just not for me.

daveswordfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2022, 04:23 AM   #45
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
I'm waiting for the Hulk 2.0, ideally with a deep green sunburst dial and matching bezel insert.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2022, 04:38 AM   #46
Bobcat Sig
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveswordfish View Post
I love green and really tried to love the Hulk but just couldn’t get there. Tried it on several times, even walked around once in the sunlight with it for a while. Didn’t do it for me, as much as I wanted it to. Of course this is totally subjective, but here’s my thinking.

- I think the bezel color is not only “flat” but, in most lighting, clashes with the dial. It needs to compliment or match and it does neither.

- The maxicase, which I never cared for, is even more angular and jarring with the green dial/bezel to my eyes. Works better on other models.

- There are GREAT Rolexes and GREAT green dialed watches…Hulk is neither.

I know some folks love the Hulk…just not for me.

All valid observations. I know what you mean about the bezel and dial combo. I was set on a six-digit Bluesy because I'd love to have a two-tone Sub and that blue is lovely. But after seeing both versions of the ceramic Bluesy; it didn't do it for me. The colors didn't seem to jive the way they should. So, I looked at a five-digit Bluesy. And despite its smaller case, dial, and markers; it works in a way that no other five-digit Sub does. The aluminum bezel of the five-digit Bluesy works very well with its dial.

However, I suspect this won't be the case with the Hulk. As the ceramic green seems to work differently in sunlight than the blue. Time will tell, of course...
Old 28 October 2022, 04:49 AM   #47
daveswordfish
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
All valid observations. I know what you mean about the bezel and dial combo. I was set on a six-digit Bluesy because I'd love to have a two-tone Sub and that blue is lovely. But after seeing both versions of the ceramic Bluesy; it didn't do it for me. The colors didn't seem to jive the way they should. So, I looked at a five-digit Bluesy. And despite its smaller case, dial, and markers; it works in a way that no other five-digit Sub does. The aluminum bezel of the five-digit Bluesy works very well with its dial.

However, I suspect this won't be the case with the Hulk. As the ceramic green seems to work differently in sunlight than the blue. Time will tell, of course...

Agree on the Bluesy…my five digit was the prettiest watch I’ve ever owned. Sold it a few years ago because I rarely wore it…wish I’d kept it.

Good luck with the hulk!

daveswordfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2022, 04:55 AM   #48
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
I tend to agree when I want to purchase something I’m absolutely dead set on it nothing gets in my way. However I have come here for a push over the edge a few times :)
JSolution is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2022, 04:57 AM   #49
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Getting the hulk largely depends on what else you have or don't. If you have a decent sized collection or at least one other versatile/safe watch, I'd say definitely add the hulk.

To me it's a really fun watch. It's definitely not a one and only.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2022, 05:32 AM   #50
Bobcat Sig
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveswordfish View Post
Agree on the Bluesy…my five digit was the prettiest watch I’ve ever owned. Sold it a few years ago because I rarely wore it…wish I’d kept it.

Good luck with the hulk!

You sold it!? At the risk of total thread drift... was yours and early model or a later model with the updated clasp? I ask because I also search for a Bluesy and the late-production models with the updated clasp seem about right for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSolution View Post
I tend to agree when I want to purchase something I’m absolutely dead set on it nothing gets in my way. However I have come here for a push over the edge a few times :)
I know how that goes. As I chronicled in another thread, I was dead set on an 11-series SubC... until my dealer showed me a SD43. The SubC went right out the window and I came home with the SD43.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
Getting the hulk largely depends on what else you have or don't. If you have a decent sized collection or at least one other versatile/safe watch, I'd say definitely add the hulk.

To me it's a really fun watch. It's definitely not a one and only.
That's where I am; it won't be a lone watch. In my collection, three Rolex; SD43, ExpII Freccione Polar, and black ceramic GMT. The rest of my collection is varied: six Omegas including a PloProg, SMP300m, Planet Ocean XL, Moonwatch, and Speedie MkII. I have three Panerais, two Sinns, four Oris (two of which are on order), a vintage Breitling, a Zenith Cronometro, three Tudors, two G-Shocks, and a few Seikos. And likely a few other pieces I'm forgetting.
Old 28 October 2022, 06:34 AM   #51
indianmachine
"TRF" Member

If you like the green and are comfortable paying the price, I see no reason why not to get it.
indianmachine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2022, 08:00 AM   #52
yld2rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Here is my story. Not sure if it will help. I bought a black Sub and sold it because I thought it was too common and boring. Then, I bought a Hulk, liked it for a while and decided it was too much green and sold it. Then I bought the "Starbucks" Sub. It took 3 tries but now I have decided that it is a perfect combination of the black Sub and the Hulk I was looking for.
Rolex GMT BLNR
Rolex Datejust 16220
yld2rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2022, 08:25 AM   #53
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by yld2rob View Post
Here is my story. Not sure if it will help. I bought a black Sub and sold it because I thought it was too common and boring. Then, I bought a Hulk, liked it for a while and decided it was too much green and sold it. Then I bought the "Starbucks" Sub. It took 3 tries but now I have decided that it is a perfect combination of the black Sub and the Hulk I was looking for.
Well said and totally agree. I didn’t think I could be without a black sub until I got the 126610LV.
Old 28 October 2022, 09:39 AM   #54
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
Let's discuss the now-discontinued Submariner 116610LV because I lust for one.
You've talked yourself into it right there. You don't need anyone else to talk you into it or out of it.

I love mine for its colour palette and uniqueness. It addressed (for me) the shortcomings of the 16610LV and regardless of if you like it or dislike it, the green sunburst dial, once seen in person in natural daylight, can't be unseen. It is remarkable and will do everything from shimmering, sparkling green to flat black depending on the lighting.

If a green sunburst dial, green ceramic bezel, Sub Date comes out again it will probably be bigger, it will have AR coating and most of all, it won't have the slick, smooth and silent 31 based movement.

I went grey for mine but "only" paid £2K over MSRP. At today's prices I couldn't justify the grey premium. I'd rather wait for a 12. Each to our own.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2022, 10:58 AM   #55
DarthSimon
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD.Daytona.SD.Subs
You must do what your heart desires and if you truly love the Green Dialed sub and can afford it, go for it.

Maybe I can give you a different perspective or watch to look at. I also have been after the hulk and just can’t seem to justify the price for what your getting. I mean it’s selling for 2.5x retail currently.

I just picked up a TT Modern era sub and to me it’s truly a treasure. You get the best of both worlds with steel and precious metals that bring yellow gold, and a blue sunburst dial that just pops. Super elegant. The bezel is also super sharp and stands out.

Again all my opinion of course. I hope you achieve your dream watch.

Here’s some of mine with blue sub included:

DarthSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2022, 10:59 AM   #56
ml91
"TRF" Member

The movement is 34 years old…
ml91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2022, 11:46 AM   #57
Teksurv
2024 Pledge Member

I briefly thought about selling mine when I received my JC DSSD a few months ago. My wife said I was nuts (I wear the Hulk a lot) and she was right. It's an amazing watch.
Teksurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2022, 12:12 PM   #58
ugoblue
"TRF" Member

I was offered a Hulk in 2018. I love green. I had never seen a Hulk in person until that moment. I did not like the Hulk green and I passed. (I should have bought a black one). I've seen used Hulks since then. I still don't like the green. I've never seen a "Starbucks" Sub in person. The photos seem like I'd like the green/black combo better. But I'd have to see it in person. De gustibus non est disputandum. There is no substitute for trying on a watch in person before you buy it.
ugoblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2022, 01:50 PM   #59
Bobcat Sig
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yld2rob View Post
That does help, thank you.

I had the chance to fondle a Kermit a few months ago. I was curious about it as I know it’s a desirable reference. While I found it interesting and unique, the black dial and green bezel didn’t do it for me. Granted, that’s the five-digit case and dial. The green ceramic brings a whole different set of things to the table. While I’m ruling out the Starbucks, I have a feeling that the Sunray green dial will be the killer feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRell View Post
Well said and totally agree. I didn’t think I could be without a black sub until I got the 126610LV.
I’m fortunate as my SD43 fills that spot in my collection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
You've talked yourself into it right there. You don't need anyone else to talk you into it or out of it.

I love mine for its colour palette and uniqueness. It addressed (for me) the shortcomings of the 16610LV and regardless of if you like it or dislike it, the green sunburst dial, once seen in person in natural daylight, can't be unseen. It is remarkable and will do everything from shimmering, sparkling green to flat black depending on the lighting.

If a green sunburst dial, green ceramic bezel, Sub Date comes out again it will probably be bigger, it will have AR coating and most of all, it won't have the slick, smooth and silent 31 based movement.

I went grey for mine but "only" paid £2K over MSRP. At today's prices I couldn't justify the grey premium. I'd rather wait for a 12. Each to our own.
For sure. That’s my biggest hurdle; the current market price is quite high. It’s not a deal-breaker but it does give me pause.

I appreciate you sharing why you love yours. What you describe of the dial is one of the main reasons as to why I’m attracted to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSimon View Post
You must do what your heart desires and if you truly love the Green Dialed sub and can afford it, go for it.

Maybe I can give you a different perspective or watch to look at. I also have been after the hulk and just can’t seem to justify the price for what your getting. I mean it’s selling for 2.5x retail currently.

I just picked up a TT Modern era sub and to me it’s truly a treasure. You get the best of both worlds with steel and precious metals that bring yellow gold, and a blue sunburst dial that just pops. Super elegant. The bezel is also super sharp and stands out.

Again all my opinion of course. I hope you achieve your dream watch.

Here’s some of mine with blue sub included:

You’re a man after my own heart. I can dig it.

It’s funny you mention the Bluesy. It too is on my list for similar reasons. The late-production versions are ever so sublime and beautiful. I talked about it here. Because I'm now a hopeless addict, it's n+1 for me and I'd love to add both the Hulk and a Bluesy to the collection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ml91 View Post
The movement is 34 years old…
That it is. And it's proven to be exceptionally robust and very reliable. So while the design might be nearly 40 years old, the actual age of the movement I end up purchasing will likely be less than ten years old. It should give me years of trouble-free enjoyment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teksurv View Post
I briefly thought about selling mine when I received my JC DSSD a few months ago. My wife said I was nuts (I wear the Hulk a lot) and she was right. It's an amazing watch.
I love hearing that. I think a Hulk should slot in well next to my SD43, black ceramic GMT, and my Polar ExpII.
Old 28 October 2022, 03:55 PM   #60
Santiago32
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO-LV-EXP1-BB58
For me the hulk is TOO green and the proportions are not great. Modern LV is nicer imo

Tags
116610lv , green dial hulk , hulk , submariner 116610 , submariner date