The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 August 2022, 02:22 AM   #1
Bobcat Sig
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II, Exp Polar
Set on a SubC; blown up by a red SD43

So there I was; all set on purchasing an 11-series SubC. The omission of the date complication, no cyclops to intrude on the symmetry; the classic design of an icon, the Submariner. I compared it against a 12-series case and spent an hour needlessly reviewing the two examples in person. The ol' YouTube was scoured for 11-series content. I was going to buy it at the end of the month. Finally, an 114060 was to join my collection. I was set, I was stoked.

Oh, but not so fast said the Horological Gods. My destiny was soon to change.

I went to my local independent watch dealer to snag a limited edition Oris and as any passionate watch hoar... err, I mean, owner would; I viewed a Rolex or two. Because, you know, reasons.

A five-digit Bluesy was groped and inspected. (More on that later). I also reviewed several nice examples of the five-digit GMT Master II, the latter of which I opted to pass on and keep my 116710LN.

And then, my friend and dealer pulled out a red Sea-Dweller, and my watch acquisition plan folded like a cheap suit. My horological dreams torn asunder. All that research for nothing! Those dreams of a Submariner instantaneously became a distant and faint memory. What was this glorious and beautiful beast of a watch I was viewing? Why am I hyperventilating? My palms sweat and my lizard brain instantly called out, "BUY IT! DO IT NOW!!"

What? Why! How in the...

Oh, but the story does not end there, my fellow Rolex aficionados. This 126600 did not follow me home. A tinge of common sense prevailed. I caught my breath, wiped my palms down, and had a think.

I want this watch and I suspect that soon, an incoming post will surface.

In the meantime, enjoy this entirely mediocre picture from my session:

Bobcat Sig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2022, 07:32 AM   #2
superpop
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 and SS SkyD
Been daily wearing an SD43 for over 3 years now. Love the watch, it is the big brother to the sub. The size and heft is awesome and it flies a little bit under the radar.
superpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2022, 07:56 AM   #3
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Highly recommend the SD43. Not sure which way you're leaning.
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2022, 09:40 AM   #4
Bobcat Sig
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superpop View Post
Been daily wearing an SD43 for over 3 years now. Love the watch, it is the big brother to the sub. The size and heft is awesome and it flies a little bit under the radar.
That's what surprised me the most; its presence. It's what I thought the Sub was, in terms of look and feel. I was really quite shocked once I saw the SD43. And now it must be mine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amh View Post
Highly recommend the SD43. Not sure which way you're leaning.
SD43 will be mine.

The Bluesy - and a five-digit at that - made its way up my list after the aforementioned session.
Old 25 August 2022, 01:40 PM   #5
gwozhog
"TRF" Member

Held a bluesy and a TT sd43 in my hand at the same time at a dealer and the bluesy was immediately set down in disbelief of how incredible the seadweller was. No comparison between the too.
gwozhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2022, 01:44 PM   #6
Bobcat Sig
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwozhog View Post
Held a bluesy and a TT sd43 in my hand at the same time at a dealer and the bluesy was immediately set down in disbelief of how incredible the seadweller was. No comparison between the too.
As a side-by-side; I agree. Much like the SD43 and any SubC. The SD43 is just... so much more in all the good ways. It's really quite striking, handsome, and rugged - all while carrying the delicate Rolex balance of a lovely tool watch.

However, on their own, they are both striking watches. And it’s why I pick up my SD43 next week and I hunt for a late-production five-digit Bluesy.
Old 25 August 2022, 01:48 PM   #7
Reikolexguy
"TRF" Member

The SD43 was my very first Rolex.

I’d never even held a Rolex sports model in my hand before then.

After I received it, any fleeting thoughts of wanting a submariner were completely extinguished.

I loved everything about it. Heft, proportions, wrist presence, colour, finish etc.

It was a pity to let it go because I never could get a good fit. The Pelagos LHD fit way better on me sans the wrist presence of the SD43 .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reikolexguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2022, 04:04 PM   #8
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

I prefer the 41mm sub to the SD43 ... vastly.
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2022, 04:09 PM   #9
2loaded
"TRF" Member

Watch: es watches
Good stuff. Buy them all, you only live twice
2loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2022, 06:00 PM   #10
Paka
Banned

Watch: IWC Big Pilot 5002
Buy them both!
Paka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2022, 10:44 PM   #11
Smobews
"TRF" Member

Watch: The BIG ones
The SD43 and the Submariner (no date) are a great combo to own. There is such a huge contrast between the two; size, thickness, weight, cyclops. When you rotate them, you really appreciate each watch for what it is.

If it's a one watch choice and you have a minimum 7 inch wrist, the SD43 is a stunner. If you have a smaller wrist, the Submariner is a spectacular thin watch that you barely notice wearing.
Smobews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2022, 10:50 PM   #12
Woody
"TRF" Member

Personally I would stick with your original choice........but each to their own. That splash of red on the SD43 dial is certainly eye-catching.
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2022, 10:55 PM   #13
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
The SD43 is a great reference indeed. It has all those features and instills passion that you hear owners talk about.

To me it’s a rotation watch, not really suitable for everyday wear (for me) Love it, but for daily wear, I prefer the Submariner41
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2022, 11:04 PM   #14
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Now it will not leave your mind until it’s yours. Great all around watch!
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2022, 11:15 PM   #15
Thomas Brown
Banned

Watch: Daytona-Hulk-Sub
SD43 is a masterpiece, don't miss it IMO.
Thomas Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2022, 11:20 PM   #16
Steve260
"TRF" Member

Watch: SeaDweller Family
I initially had a bit of trouble getting a good fit with my SD43 on my 7 inch wrist. I then ordered a half-link for it, and the fit is now perfect.
As far as Seadwellers go, I still prefer my 5-digit Seadweller with drilled lugs. It just fits me perfectly - it's easy to forget I'm even wearing a watch.
I wear my SD43 when I want more wrist presence - it's less like a traditional "Seadweller" and more like a "Submariner Date on steroids", IMHO. No way to "forget" I'm wearing the SD43!

Both are fantastic watches!
Steve260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2022, 12:37 AM   #17
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Very well-written...I enjoyed that.

I think you're wise to not impulse buy, but, I know too well what happens when the itch sets in. It will be scratched eventually.

The good news is you've seen it in the flesh, as opposed to "researching" on line. There is a vast difference between the two.

Good luck and keep us posted.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2022, 01:40 AM   #18
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Red text notwithstanding, one needs to live with the watch and if you are like me and do just about everything wearing your watch, the added heft/bulk of the SD not likely to make it more comfortable than the sub. The added size also takes a bit away from its versatility. I think deep down many that get the SD like the sub as well, feel it’s too “common” and get the SD rationalizing it’s “different” wanting to feel they went against the grain, or the under the radar pick or something, but it’s not. It’s still a Rolex.

At any rate, take some time and think and best of luck.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2022, 03:27 AM   #19
Aceholio
"TRF" Member

Watch: Palm Fronds!
Love my sd43 but watch out if you ever see a 116600, talk about a sub killer.
Aceholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2022, 04:24 AM   #20
Bobcat Sig
"TRF" Member

I love this type of banter. It's what I hope for when checking TRF. Thanks for jumping in and dorking out with me on this odd little passion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reikolexguy View Post
The SD43 was my very first Rolex.

I’d never even held a Rolex sports model in my hand before then.

After I received it, any fleeting thoughts of wanting a submariner were completely extinguished.

I loved everything about it. Heft, proportions, wrist presence, colour, finish etc.

It was a pity to let it go because I never could get a good fit. The Pelagos LHD fit way better on me sans the wrist presence of the SD43 .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Your story is similar to mine. While I currently possess a 216570 Polar and a 116710LN; I never encountered a Sea-Dweller. It was never on my radar. Then I saw one and the plans I had for acquiring an 11-series Sub immediately evaporated.

Bummer that you let yours go. But if it doesn't fit, it doesn't fit.

And funny you mention the Pelagos LHD. I'm sporting mine today...

I love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2loaded View Post
Good stuff. Buy them all, you only live twice
I like the cut of your jib, mister.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Buy them both!
That's the plan. I pick up the SD43 next week

Then, a search begins in earnest for a late-production five-digit Bluesy. I'd love to get one with the engraved rehaut and newer bracelet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smobews View Post
The SD43 and the Submariner (no date) are a great combo to own. There is such a huge contrast between the two; size, thickness, weight, cyclops. When you rotate them, you really appreciate each watch for what it is.

If it's a one watch choice and you have a minimum 7 inch wrist, the SD43 is a stunner. If you have a smaller wrist, the Submariner is a spectacular thin watch that you barely notice wearing.
Indeed. I'm fortunate in that I have 7.5" wrist so I've gravitated to bigger, chunkier watches; a Planet Ocean XL, three Panerais, the Pelagos you see above, and a tuna can in an Omega Aqua Terra GMT Chrono.

Eventually, I'll procure a Submariner (that's the no-date for you philistines) as I do like them and something smaller and a bit restrained would be a nice addition to the collection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
The SD43 is a great reference indeed. It has all those features and instills passion that you hear owners talk about.

To me it’s a rotation watch, not really suitable for everyday wear (for me) Love it, but for daily wear, I prefer the Submariner41
I get that. It makes sense. This will be a rotation watch. It will join two other Rolex, five Omegas, three Tudors, three Panerais, two Sinns, Two Oris, and a pile of Seikos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
Personally I would stick with your original choice........but each to their own. That splash of red on the SD43 dial is certainly eye-catching.
It is. A Sub will make its way to my collection at some point. But for now, the SD43 has me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb View Post
Now it will not leave your mind until it’s yours. Great all around watch!
I know! The SD43 haunted my dreams the night I saw it at my dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Brown View Post
SD43 is a masterpiece, don't miss it IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve260 View Post
I initially had a bit of trouble getting a good fit with my SD43 on my 7 inch wrist. I then ordered a half-link for it, and the fit is now perfect.
As far as Seadwellers go, I still prefer my 5-digit Seadweller with drilled lugs. It just fits me perfectly - it's easy to forget I'm even wearing a watch.
I wear my SD43 when I want more wrist presence - it's less like a traditional "Seadweller" and more like a "Submariner Date on steroids", IMHO. No way to "forget" I'm wearing the SD43!

Both are fantastic watches!
All good. With a 7.5" wrist, I'm in a good position to wear this watch comfortably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
Very well-written...I enjoyed that.

I think you're wise to not impulse buy, but, I know too well what happens when the itch sets in. It will be scratched eventually.

The good news is you've seen it in the flesh, as opposed to "researching" on line. There is a vast difference between the two.

Good luck and keep us posted.
You are welcome. I thought we needed a bit of levity and humor amongst the sea of 'incoming' posts.

Expect an update soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
Red text notwithstanding, one needs to live with the watch and if you are like me and do just about everything wearing your watch, the added heft/bulk of the SD not likely to make it more comfortable than the sub. The added size also takes a bit away from its versatility. I think deep down many that get the SD like the sub as well, feel it’s too “common” and get the SD rationalizing it’s “different” wanting to feel they went against the grain, or the under the radar pick or something, but it’s not. It’s still a Rolex.

At any rate, take some time and think and best of luck.
That's all fair and something to think about. Thank you.

I spent some time looking at both the 11-and 12-series Subs and at the time, decided on the 11-series. Once I saw the SD43, that all changed. The Sea-Dweller spoke to me in a way the Sub didn't.

And you're spot on about the commonality of the Sub. When I started my journey in watches, I steered clear of them because seemingly everyone has one. Those that know and those that don't, seemingly all go for the Sub. I tend to gravitate to unloved, different, and overlooked references. That said, a Sub will join my collection in some form at some point.
Old 26 August 2022, 08:01 AM   #21
JonTheKingJames
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126600 SD 43
I have the SD43 and love it more than any of the other Rolex watches I have owned. That red writing is so cool and unique. I was hesitant to purchase it because everyone complaining about it being thick and I tried it on my 7.75-8 inch wrist and it was smaller than I imagined. I’m only 5’6” and 160 lbs… it doesn’t look big at all. Remember a lot of people are wearing 55mm invictas that are heavier and thicker… this looks very normal compared to the Apple Watch standard. I don’t even notice it on my wrist anymore. Buy it!
Old 26 August 2022, 08:24 AM   #22
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
Advanced congratulations! :)
rmlovett1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2022, 08:43 AM   #23
Bobcat Sig
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonTheKingJames View Post
I have the SD43 and love it more than any of the other Rolex watches I have owned. That red writing is so cool and unique. I was hesitant to purchase it because everyone complaining about it being thick and I tried it on my 7.75-8 inch wrist and it was smaller than I imagined. I’m only 5’6” and 160 lbs… it doesn’t look big at all. Remember a lot of people are wearing 55mm invictas that are heavier and thicker… this looks very normal compared to the Apple Watch standard. I don’t even notice it on my wrist anymore. Buy it!
I can dig it. And I intend to add it to the box next week.
Old 26 August 2022, 08:57 AM   #24
BLNR Nairobi
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them.
The SD43 is easily my favourite watch. Just …perfect, for me.

It can also be perfect for you but there is one caveat. You have to be blessed with a flat wrist. If you have a flat wrist, it will be one of the most comfortable watches in your possession. If, unfortunately, you don’t have a flat wrist then it may not stay long in your collection.

That’s the thing about the SD43 …it is VERY selective. You’ll either absolutely love it or not.

I can say this though - if you have a flat wrist it is a purchase you need to make.
BLNR Nairobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2022, 12:06 PM   #25
Vince M.
Banned

Watch: Meteorite
SD43 is a GOAT. If you can wrist it I highly suggest it.
Vince M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2022, 12:42 PM   #26
B2 Stealth
"TRF" Member

AD offered me a 41mm Sub. On a whim tried on the amazing SD43. Decided to pass on the Sub (I have a 40mm Submariner) and wait for the SD43.
That's on hold now as my AD came thru with my retirement Roelx--blue dial Sky-Dweller. But the SD43 is next!
B2 Stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2022, 01:06 PM   #27
Bobcat Sig
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLNR Nairobi View Post
The SD43 is easily my favourite watch. Just …perfect, for me.

It can also be perfect for you but there is one caveat. You have to be blessed with a flat wrist. If you have a flat wrist, it will be one of the most comfortable watches in your possession. If, unfortunately, you don’t have a flat wrist then it may not stay long in your collection.

That’s the thing about the SD43 …it is VERY selective. You’ll either absolutely love it or not.

I can say this though - if you have a flat wrist it is a purchase you need to make.
As I type this, I’m wearing my very big and very thick Casio G-Schock Mudmaster which seems to sit well enough on my flat wrist. I hear what you’re a saying and I think I'm good.

My Planet Ocean XL - a 45.5 mm watch - and my Panerai Sub - 44mm - both wear well on my wrist. And since they are the same size, I suspect the refined shape and lovely Oyster bracelet will suit me and wear well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2 Stealth View Post
AD offered me a 41mm Sub. On a whim tried on the amazing SD43. Decided to pass on the Sub (I have a 40mm Submariner) and wait for the SD43.
That's on hold now as my AD came thru with my retirement Roelx--blue dial Sky-Dweller. But the SD43 is next!
I hear you. That's what happened to me, though it was an 11-series SubC. But same reaction.

The SkyDweller is one of my grails. I love that watch. Congrats on a unique and technically interesting piece!
Old 27 August 2022, 07:11 AM   #28
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Yes, the SD43 did that to me, it blew me away. Still does. Gritty and purposeful looking badass Sub. It's like a slap in the face.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2022, 07:21 AM   #29
JerBear
"TRF" Member

This is why I check TRF! Great thread OP and congrats in advance
JerBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2022, 07:43 AM   #30
BLNR Nairobi
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadweller View Post
Yes, the SD43 did that to me, it blew me away. Still does. Gritty and purposeful looking badass Sub. It's like a slap in the face.
Beautiful writing. I love the SD43.
BLNR Nairobi is offline   Reply With Quote