The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 June 2012, 12:13 AM   #121
bewithabob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona Meteorite
The question is "Are you more excited to wear your watch where you know it will be noticed?" and so breaking this down, it can be answered and considered in several ways-

1) are you "more excited" vs. "less excited" to wear your watch , would assume that my base-line of excitement is acceptable for my own well being. so the answer is plus or minus, and there is no accounting for maintaining the status quo, or my own self reported ambiguity. I would need to be hooked up to some neurological measuring device to know for sure. (Also, I might add, a great deal of this depends on which of my watches I am wearing)

2) "where" could be defined as any number of possible situations, and locations- I will leave it up to the reader to compare the most positive to the most negative (in a dark alley during a murder, with an imminent threat of bodily harm, vs. in bed with Giselle)

3) "you know" requires 100% certainty which would make you believe that you would have some feedback confirmation, with all assumptions to the contrary being eliminated, and finally- again there is a lot of possible degrees here- from receiving an approving glance, and a verbal compliment to receiving a verbal requirement to "take that off"

and 4) "it will be noticed", is in defined as by whom? Again I will leave that up to the reader, but this would again depend again on the situation. I have heard people talk about going to an AD, vs. being in court….

With too many things needing clarity to pin this question down, one answer is inadequate to cover all known possibilities, and thus, that is why I answered that I prefer to go under the radar on this one.

P.S. Are my pants too tight?

116509 Daytona Meteorite, 116520 Daytona Black, 116710 GMTIIC, 16013 DATEJUST,
CARTIER SANTOS 100 W20090X8, IWC Big Pilot, IWC Top Gun

"Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it's not the end."
bewithabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2012, 12:16 AM   #122
janagler
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DSSD
When it's a Panerai or a IWC yes. Not many people know about these, so if people do know what they are asking about, it means they are probably into watches too. If it's a Rolex, it doesn't really matter to me, because I don't have it to be flashy.
janagler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2012, 01:29 PM   #123
dcash0615
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es
Too many nice watches where I live. Rolex watches are very common in my neck of the woods.
dcash0615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2012, 09:54 PM   #124
gslaskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwalker View Post
HAHA. Hey from some of these AD stories popping up of late I bet a few of the salespeople would say the Rolex is the bottom one.
Or else the AD salesperson would say that the top one is a fake.
gslaskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2012, 02:03 PM   #125
CLRBLULITE

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
I am going to have to call BS on some of this.

I agree that many of us here wear it simply for themselves, because they like it.

However, if people are being honest with themselves, wearing a big green or blue or super shiny watch, is not simply for themselves. Lets be real here fellas.

Fellow members would not be asking on a daily basis "which one should I get" if they were wearing it for themselves.

I will go out on a limb and say that some of the older more mature members are most probably wearing watches for themselves. However, on the flip side, I believe that many younger members are wearing them as a status symbol.

For me, I think I am probably in the middle. I love my Explorer I because it truly is an "under the radar" watch. However, I will be honest with you all, when I am going to a nice event, or I want people to notice me and impress for whatever reason, I will be strapping on the WG Daytona. But even then, I got the WG so that I will fly under the radar.

I think a good analogy is when women say, "I dress like this for myself". We all know that this is not the fact and that they wear certain items to be noticed. And while people do notice them, they do not always say something. Is part of it for themselves/ourselves? For sure, but a large part is also to be noticed.

If anyone says otherwise, I respect their voice. But I am not 100% sure I believe all the comments here.
Agreed.
CLRBLULITE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2012, 07:19 PM   #126
le_baroudeur
"TRF" Member

Agreed too.
Old 12 June 2012, 07:08 PM   #127
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
I have lived in South Oz for 40 years and apart from a few non WIS friends only John and Martin have ever commented on my Rolex watches.

Just as I like it.

Ummm.....John and Martin aren't old enough to remember 40 years ago but you know what I mean.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2012, 10:01 PM   #128
jamesbondOO7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex or nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
I am going to have to call BS on some of this.

I agree that many of us here wear it simply for themselves, because they like it.

However, if people are being honest with themselves, wearing a big green or blue or super shiny watch, is not simply for themselves. Lets be real here fellas.

Fellow members would not be asking on a daily basis "which one should I get" if they were wearing it for themselves.

I will go out on a limb and say that some of the older more mature members are most probably wearing watches for themselves. However, on the flip side, I believe that many younger members are wearing them as a status symbol.

For me, I think I am probably in the middle. I love my Explorer I because it truly is an "under the radar" watch. However, I will be honest with you all, when I am going to a nice event, or I want people to notice me and impress for whatever reason, I will be strapping on the WG Daytona. But even then, I got the WG so that I will fly under the radar.

I think a good analogy is when women say, "I dress like this for myself". We all know that this is not the fact and that they wear certain items to be noticed. And while people do notice them, they do not always say something. Is part of it for themselves/ourselves? For sure, but a large part is also to be noticed.

If anyone says otherwise, I respect their voice. But I am not 100% sure I believe all the comments here.
Of course.
Old 12 June 2012, 10:17 PM   #129
bigbear
Banned

guys who wear watches are as aware of their watches and of others' watches as women are about their hand bags and sunglasses. Yes, I agree with the notion that we buy the watch we like and we wear the watch we feel like on a particular day but anyone who buys a ROLEX, doesn't just accidentally buys a Rolex. It takes big bucks to buy a Rolex and a special effort made to buy a Rolex since the last time I checked, the liquor stores, Walmart and Target, kiosks at the mall, SEARS, NORDSTROMS, MACYS, do not carry Rolex

So even though the wearer doesn't want to flaunt it in people's faces, there is a satisfaction derived when we catch other people staring at it that no wearer can deny.
bigbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2012, 10:46 PM   #130
newrolexman
"TRF" Member

IMO a Rollie is a confidence builder. It lets me know I have done well in life and have something that many do not have or appreciate.

If it is noticed, GREAT

If not I still notice it.

Nothing spells success like a Rolex.
newrolexman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2012, 11:07 PM   #131
DG123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oyster Perpetual
I think the trend of larger watches, 40mm, 42mm, 44mm etc... is born from consumers desire to have their watch noticed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
We all love our watches but I am just curious if members lok forward to wearing their watches where there is a great likelihood of their watch being noticed -- likecoktail parties, dinners or anywhere where large numbers of people are present in close proximity --- like anight club?

thanks,
DG123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2012, 11:26 PM   #132
Keeperoftime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosspanics View Post
No, unless its a watch GTG and we're sharing our pieces. The few times I've had someone randomly comment on my Rolex it goes really ackward really fast.
+1

Unless.......

They say: Hey Bud, nice "1680" or "16610LV"
Old 12 June 2012, 11:29 PM   #133
Johny
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub 16610Lv
even less noticeable when you replace the bracelet with a nato imho.
Old 12 June 2012, 11:33 PM   #134
bigbear
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG123 View Post
I think the trend of larger watches, 40mm, 42mm, 44mm etc... is born from consumers desire to have their watch noticed.
Absolutely correct .... unless it is a diver that can descend to 14K ft or 20K feet ---- unless the design requires it to have such a large case, most watches are big because "hey you...look at me" factor, like you said.
bigbear is offline   Reply With Quote