The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 April 2023, 09:13 AM   #31
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
That's actually the key to avoiding the issue. Have so many 32XX watches that they don't get worn enough to exhibit problems.
I may have been approaching this incorrectly. Instead of avoiding 32xx watches, I should be buying more.
the dark knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2023, 09:19 AM   #32
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by the dark knight View Post
I may have been approaching this incorrectly. Instead of avoiding 32xx watches, I should be buying more.
I suppose that suitably covers one aspect of a strategy
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2023, 09:19 AM   #33
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

This thread is depressing me and making me hopeful at the same time. Over a million 32xx watches out there, small portion of those with owners who have actually noticed the problem, smaller portion of those that are aware its widespread, and even amongst those there are quite a few that don't care. I mean I guess I'm part of that problem too in a way. But we have people here saying they don't care about the accuracy of the watch since its jewelry anyway, which may well be the dominant view of Rolex owners these days.

Considering all this, I doubt Rolex feels any pressure to remedy the movement, I have a bad feeling 32xx owners are going to be left twisting in the wind after Rolex works out the kinks and moves on to a 33xx movement.

OTOH, I'm feeling pretty good because I'm in the same boat as a lot of people and it seems like if/when the watches go bad there won't be shortage of people wanting to buy them because they are still Rolexes.
Old 6 April 2023, 09:21 AM   #34
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
I suppose that suitably covers one aspect of a strategy
I wouldn't be completely dishonest in saying one reason I have 2 of them is because I want to be able to wear one while the other goes off for service. And yea, I guess I am part of the problem.
Old 6 April 2023, 09:41 AM   #35
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
I believe that some people are having problems with their 32XX movements. I also believe based on what I’ve read in the other thread before it ground me down and I just gave up on reading it that the problems are with the earlier watches with this family of movements. I have owned two, a DJ that was the most accurate watch that I have ever owned and an Exp 1 that continues to be remarkably consistent. I don’t worry about it and in fact my next Rolex, a black Exp II, will also have a 32XX movement. If one of them develops a problem I’ll get it fixed. If either one disappoints or bores me I’ll trade it in on something else just as I would with any other watch. Not worried at all.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2023, 09:50 AM   #36
doboy007
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR/LVc/SkyD/ND41
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseR View Post
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=786299

Have fun... Hope you have lots of time on your hands because it'll be Easter by the time you get the last post.
Haha, thanks!
doboy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2023, 10:26 AM   #37
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin of Larchmont View Post
I believe that some people are having problems with their 32XX movements. I also believe based on what I’ve read in the other thread before it ground me down and I just gave up on reading it that the problems are with the earlier watches with this family of movements. I have owned two, a DJ that was the most accurate watch that I have ever owned and an Exp 1 that continues to be remarkably consistent. I don’t worry about it and in fact my next Rolex, a black Exp II, will also have a 32XX movement. If one of them develops a problem I’ll get it fixed. If either one disappoints or bores me I’ll trade it in on something else just as I would with any other watch. Not worried at all.
Newer movements are still affected. According to Bas, the movement issues haven’t been solved, and it’s essentially just a matter of time for all of them.

The issue probably revolves around how often the watch is worn. Some watches be daily worn and have issues within a couple of years, while others may be worn sparingly enough in rotation that, when they do fail, it will seem like a normal service interval.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2023, 10:26 AM   #38
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
My strategy is I'm sticking with my five-digit Rolex and Tudor ETA collection. Over a decade of service-free wear and all still keeping chronometer time with strong amplitude.
Old 6 April 2023, 10:29 AM   #39
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I have never had a problem with the new movements. Whatever may be happening, it is not hurting Rolex sales at all.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2023, 10:31 AM   #40
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Newer movements are still affected. According to Bas, the movement issues haven’t been solved, and it’s essentially just a matter of time for all of them.

The issue probably revolves around how often the watch is worn. Some watches be daily worn and have issues within a couple of years, while others may be worn sparingly enough in rotation that, when they do fail, it will seem like a normal service interval.
I guess another reason to just have a bunch of 32xxs.
Old 6 April 2023, 10:31 AM   #41
Nads786
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
Quote:

And Rolex which aims to be seen as a reliable watch company has done nothing to solve the problem? Even years after the issue has developed? It just doesn’t seem plausible and highly conspiratorial.
Nads786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2023, 10:32 AM   #42
RDT-G23
"TRF" Member

I've got my 126610LN on my wrist as I type this. It is an early version, deilivery taken 9/20. It keeps flawless time. My strategy is to "watch the show"...
RDT-G23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2023, 10:46 AM   #43
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nads786 View Post
And Rolex which aims to be seen as a reliable watch company has done nothing to solve the problem? Even years after the issue has developed? It just doesn’t seem plausible and highly conspiratorial.
Yep, they’re still frequently failing with little noticeable change to the movements over time. A guess is that it could be endemic to the new Chronergy escapement design, and that’s why there’s no easy fix, but I have no idea.

We saw something similar with Omega’s first 2500 Co-Axial movement series from 1999-2006. Omega tried a few fixes with the first three variants, and the fourth and final 2500D series was pretty good, but they eventually had to completely redesign a movement from the ground up with the 8xxx Co-Axial movements, and those have been great.
Old 6 April 2023, 10:50 AM   #44
ducatiti
Banned

I just received my DJ41 back from warranty service because it was running -8 secs per day.

I just sent an email to the service manager asking the following since the service advisor dude didn't know anything:

What was done to the watch, lubricated, regulated, etc?

I mentioned that this is a known issue amongst the Rolex community. Is there now a permanent fix?

Also, I asked for a leather travel pouch instead of the suede version provided :)

I'll keep everyone posted.

Edit: I also asked that since my warranty is ending next year, how would this be treated considering it's a known issue and if the problem arises after the warranty period?
ducatiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2023, 11:07 AM   #45
burnthesehills
"TRF" Member

I am avoiding the movement until Rolex remedies the situation. Of course, they won’t say anything so it will likely be from feedback on this forum. I have moved on to other brands.
burnthesehills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2023, 11:11 AM   #46
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Swapping mine for a ETA2624
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2023, 11:13 AM   #47
CHRONOLEX
2024 Pledge Member

What choice do we have? I don’t like the prospect of issues but has not stopped me.
CHRONOLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2023, 11:17 AM   #48
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by minute_man View Post
I don't care and I have two of those. I've also owned a Tudor GMT and been driving Land Rovers.
Well, I can see taking a chance on the Tudor.....
But a Land Rover. Wow, you are really living on the edge. Don't think I could do that.
MILGAUSS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2023, 11:19 AM   #49
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Oh no I have a sub41! I plan to start a gofundme page, details to come…
Old 6 April 2023, 11:25 AM   #50
Partners
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRell View Post
Oh no I have a sub41! I plan to start a gofundme page, details to come…
I don’t understand why some people don’t care. A watch’s movement is like its heart. That would be saying all we care about are someone’s looks and not internal personality……oh wait…
Partners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2023, 11:32 AM   #51
Tridor
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD, DJ, SubC Date
Even Bas, a Rolex-trained watchmaker, says that he wouldn't buy a 32xx. Bottom line ... the 32xx is a dog of a movement and it's not a question of IF one will fail, it's a question of WHEN. It's been 8 years since introduction, and still no permanent fix. Folks have sent in their watches for warranty work multiple times for the same issue, and have had to endure inconvenience and frustration. What happens when the 5 year warranty expires and watches continue to fail? Will Rolex fix them for free, or will folks be banged for a service each time? That could get expensive. As for me, I'll stick to the 31xx or even a 30xx, and avoid this debacle altogether. Rolex really should be ashamed of itself at this point.
Old 6 April 2023, 11:35 AM   #52
JRell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tridor View Post
Even Bas, a Rolex-trained watchmaker, says that he wouldn't buy a 32xx. Bottom line ... the 32xx is a dog of a movement and it's not a question of IF one will fail, it's a question of WHEN. It's been 8 years since introduction, and still no permanent fix. Folks have sent in their watches for warranty work multiple times for the same issue, and have had to endure inconvenience and frustration. What happens when the 5 year warranty expires and watches continue to fail? Will Rolex fix them for free, or will folks be banged for a service each time? That could get expensive. As for me, I'll stick to the 31xx or even a 30xx, and avoid this debacle altogether. Rolex really should be ashamed of itself at this point.
Or be like the millions like me and never have a problem.
Old 6 April 2023, 11:41 AM   #53
Tridor
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD, DJ, SubC Date
Quote:
YET! Just wait and see ... you'll be sending in yours sooner or later.
Old 6 April 2023, 11:42 AM   #54
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
How long have you had it, and do you wear it every day? Hopefully it doesn’t happen soon.
Old 6 April 2023, 11:43 AM   #55
JRell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
How long have you had it, and do you wear it every day? Hopefully it doesn’t happen soon.
Had my BLNR for like a year and a half. It is a Rolex people need to relax!
Old 6 April 2023, 11:45 AM   #56
JRell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tridor View Post
YET! Just wait and see ... you'll be sending in yours sooner or later.
I mean if it happens it happens, but with the millions of sales and the few problems you hear about only here, I will sleep well with my 70 hour power reserve and cutting edge movement!
Old 6 April 2023, 11:50 AM   #57
Nads786
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
Quote:
I mean if it happens it happens, but with the millions of sales and the few problems you hear about only here, I will sleep well with my 70 hour power reserve and cutting edge movement!
Yeah this definitely seems like fear mongering. I’m sure there are issues but this absolute fact of not if but when it will break seems far fetched. It is the internet so what do we expect?
Nads786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2023, 11:51 AM   #58
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Millions of watches and thousands of problems. It’s not like Rolex is making pacemakers or dialysis machines.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2023, 11:55 AM   #59
Ollie1982
Banned

Watch: Sub, Exp, DJ & Pam
Quote:
Had many, zero problems. If I did I guess I would write my congressman? Everything man made has issues from time to time. The more popular the brand the more you know about it.

Have you kept any of them long enough for the issue to manifest? I’ve had 2 32** series movements and both developed the issue, after around 18-24 months of ownership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ollie1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2023, 12:02 PM   #60
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nads786 View Post
Yeah this definitely seems like fear mongering. I’m sure there are issues but this absolute fact of not if but when it will break seems far fetched. It is the internet so what do we expect?
When you have our trusted RSC watchmaker in these forums saying it’s a matter of when, not if, it’s quite an indictment. 32xx owners just have to hope their “when” is 10 years and not 3 years. Rotating multiple watches is one approach.