The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Closed Thread

Old 24 May 2016, 06:34 AM   #61
el1125
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollister View Post
Nope. My chrono is a Zenith El Primero, and a very fine reliable and accurate movement it is, too. The Daytona is an affordable everyday "beater" is it not?

If RM are selling themselves as a really "high-end" Swiss watch manufacture, with stratospheric pricing, the fact that they don't make a watch movement does raise an eyebrow, or two. Or is that going too far?
They are a newer company. It took Patek, AP even Rolex years to be able to do that on certain models....I admire that RM has been able to do what they have done in the business with a couple models in such a small amount of time, and I DO get compliments when I wear mine. Finally, its one of the FEW brands that since I purchased, has gone UP in value! From my point of view, Im happy.
Old 24 May 2016, 06:35 AM   #62
texex91
"TRF" Member

For all of the 'experts'--to clarify, Vaucher does make some movements for RM (under VERY strict specs), APRP makes movements for the the ultra high end and complicated RM's (like 056).

I have visited APRP and I don't think it gets any better in movements (again IMHO). Meeting Mr. Papi and having lunch with him, you will get a true appreciation for what a genius he is.

There is also talk of RM bringing movements in house (and of course still using APRP for ultra pieces).

A little more insight for those that don't know APRP: https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/in...et-renaud-papi

If anyone cares...
Old 24 May 2016, 06:37 AM   #63
stockae92
"TRF" Member

You want fries with that? :)
Old 24 May 2016, 06:41 AM   #64
Hollister
Banned

Watch: 114300
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
Don't really know about Vaucher, but APRP is the top notch of complicated movements, so in house or not don't matter...
RM are selling and pricing themselves into the stratosphere of Haute Horology. But they don't make any watch movements.

You might be OK with that, I am not. I think they are gimmicky watches which won't stand the test of time. Rather like Hublot and Franck Muller, I think they are preying on people who buy by price.

Having said that, some of the tech is genuinely interesting.
Old 24 May 2016, 06:44 AM   #65
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think they are gimmicky watches which won't stand the test of time.
Interesting I feel the same about FPJ.

BUT, GREAT news...we know you don't like RM and it's okay. They will do just fine LOL.
Old 24 May 2016, 06:57 AM   #66
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockae92 View Post
Old 24 May 2016, 06:57 AM   #67
Hollister
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by texex91 View Post
Interesting I feel the same about FPJ.
Why? FPJ is innovative, horologically-speaking. Loads of patents on new movements. And he designs and makes watches.
Old 24 May 2016, 07:10 AM   #68
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Why?
I visited them in Geneva. Met CEO--very nice. But they could disappear like any newer watch company. They are a dress watch niche player and it may or may not work.

Like I said...can appreciate FPJ. Would I buy one? No. Would you buy RM? No.

Okay, we agree on that.

Take care.
Old 24 May 2016, 07:20 AM   #69
Hollister
Banned

OK, but they are not in the business of re-casing other people's movements, and FPJ is genuinely innovative.
Old 24 May 2016, 07:27 AM   #70
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

It's okay to like two different watches.

It's okay to dislike a watch without comparing it to a watch you like that others may dislike.

There's little hope for us as a species if a bunch of rich successful people can't civilly discuss 100k watches. Between this and that nautilus thread, damn.
Old 24 May 2016, 07:29 AM   #71
Snow-Dweller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: collections change
I'm certainly not looking to upset any of my TRF friends, but I have difficulty understanding how this watch can be taken seriously (and that's before we get to the price tag).

Patek Philippe watches are not for me....I respect them for their beauty, quality and inventiveness...but they're not for me.

I'm sorry, but I cannot say the same for RM. I'm happy for those that "get it", but I don't.

16803. 16570. 18038. 114300. BB58. GMW-B5000D.
Old 24 May 2016, 07:31 AM   #72
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marciano490 View Post
"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

It's okay to dislike a watch without comparing it to a watch you like that others may dislike.

There's little hope for us as a species if a bunch of rich successful people can't civilly discuss 100k watches.

Between this and that nautilus thread, damn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clivek View Post
I'm certainly not looking to upset any of my TRF friends, but I have difficulty understanding how this watch can be taken seriously (and that's before we get to the price tag).

Patek Philippe watches are not for me....I respect them for their beauty, quality and inventiveness...but they're not for me.

I'm sorry, but I cannot say the same for RM. I'm happy for those that "get it", but I don't.
Different strokes for different folks--it's all good.

This is just a watch and we are all just watch nuts at the end of the day (or just nuts ).

Like in life we have choices
Old 24 May 2016, 07:34 AM   #73
QueueCumber
"TRF" Member

Watch: ST:TNG
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockae92 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clivek View Post

No watch with your "Happy Mille" then?

Old 24 May 2016, 07:39 AM   #74
Snow-Dweller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: collections change
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueueCumber View Post

A similar line did cross my mind, bit I didn't dare stoke the fire even further!

16803. 16570. 18038. 114300. BB58. GMW-B5000D.
Old 24 May 2016, 07:39 AM   #75
Hollister
Banned

Quote:

There's little hope for us as a species if a bunch of rich successful people can't civilly discuss 100k watches. Between this and that nautilus thread, damn.
Exactly. It would be nice to see some kind of horological defence for RM, rather than a general lashing-out against the brands the detractors like.

I kind-of admire RM for their innovative materials, but I think they are solving a problem which isn't very interesting in the first place. And the outsourced movement is not ideal, given the prices.
Old 24 May 2016, 07:46 AM   #76
TheRolexKingofLV
"TRF" Member

Gentlemen...McDonalds? Really? ...Maybe you've also heard of this Italian car company?

"I get it."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (88.6 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (47.4 KB, 193 views)
Old 24 May 2016, 07:48 AM   #77
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Exactly. It would be nice to see some kind of horological defence for RM, rather than a general lashing-out against the brands the detractors like.

I kind-of admire RM for their innovative materials, but I think they are solving a problem which isn't very interesting in the first place. And the outsourced movement is not ideal, given the prices.
Honest question - have you tried one on?
Old 24 May 2016, 07:50 AM   #78
QueueCumber
"TRF" Member

Watch: ST:TNG
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRolexKingofLV View Post
Gentlemen...McDonalds? Really? ...Maybe you've also heard of this Italian car company?

"I get it."
That may be the ugliest Ferrari interior I've ever seen. What was the owner thinking when he spec'ed it out. (I know. I know. He was thinking, "cheeseburger, large fries, 6 piece McNuggets, and a strawberry shake...")
Old 24 May 2016, 08:08 AM   #79
Hollister
Banned

Quote:
Honest question - have you tried one on?
Yes, several in the RM boutique at Abu Dhabi. I didn't like any of them, the shape and general appearance put me off, and I found it difficult to tell the time.

It's an answer to a problem which doesn't really matter. The ultimate watch for "can I play tennis in my Rolex?". I'm right-handed and wear my watch on my left wrist, so at a wild guess it's OK for me to play tennis wearing my Rolex.
Old 24 May 2016, 08:45 AM   #80
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
Quote:
Originally Posted by texex91 View Post
Different strokes for different folks--it's all good.

This is just a watch and we are all just watch nuts at the end of the day (or just nuts ).

Like in life we have choices
Very well and brilliantly put Paul!!!
Old 24 May 2016, 10:55 AM   #81
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
OK, but they are not in the business of re-casing other people's movements, and FPJ is genuinely innovative.
They use tens of thousands of hours for the cases, R&D, materials, etc, so them getting the geniuses of APRP to make for them movements, some of which weigh a few grams, 3,5 I think for one, is really no big deal. A huge number of companies have been doing it for most of their life, did you know that the 2 legendary Pateks, 5070 and 5970 are Lemania based movements? APRP or Lemania is not ETA, but if for you the in-house movement is obligatory sure I get it. Again I love a few models but don't think I would ever get one, doesn't stop me from seeing how amazing they are technically, and the out sourced movements is not something terrible, most legendary watches have and had out sourced ones

Quote:
There is no hope at all, and yeah, damn...

Quote:

Quote:
That may be the ugliest Ferrari interior I've ever seen. What was the owner thinking when he spec'ed it out. (I know. I know. He was thinking, "cheeseburger, large fries, 6 piece McNuggets, and a strawberry shake...")
Yeah, might be Ferrari it don't mean they never did anything ugly, it is awful
Old 24 May 2016, 11:04 AM   #82
jschmidtdmd
"TRF" Member

I think this watch is gonna be truly different with a black or grey strap.
Old 24 May 2016, 11:09 AM   #83
DR.Golf
"TRF" Member

Wow been away for a bit and come back to a little excitement. Let me state the obvious - one of the reasons why we are into these stupid things on our wrists is because they are different than what everyone else wears. A SUB is different than a Timex or Casio (no offence intended to those who like them). Each of us have our own tastes, if there was one perfect watch and we each owned it, how boring would that be?

For me I love RM, in a short period of time they have developed some truly cool pieces, along the way quite a bit of buzz. Personally I love the red case, the yellow strap is not for me. Would I buy one?, not sure I would. I have owned RM and own RM watches and am looking to add another. For me they are cool, and I like them. Thats all that matters to me. Other brands mentioned I find boring (FPJ for one). Would I buy one with my cash,.....yawn, nope but I appreciate some people like them and thats good for the industry. We need innovation. I just prefer the innovative direction RM is heading.

Let's just respect each other for what we like, no need to bash something we don't understand.
Old 24 May 2016, 11:17 AM   #84
lapince
"TRF" Member

I agree, but also we should be able to accept criticism on what we like, or a simple question, I was attacked when I said I found strange that PP made most if not all their minute repeaters, including the huge (stunning) 5208P, with auto movements and not manual, I found that too bad as a manual MR is one of the most beautiful movements there can be, I wanted to know what others thought about that. What did I not say, a member, huge PP advocate, but so am I, was infuriated that I even dare to criticize such a watch, MY GOD, amazing....
Old 24 May 2016, 11:18 AM   #85
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR.Golf View Post
Wow been away for a bit and come back to a little excitement. Let me state the obvious - one of the reasons why we are into these stupid things on our wrists is because they are different than what everyone else wears. A SUB is different than a Timex or Casio (no offence intended to those who like them). Each of us have our own tastes, if there was one perfect watch and we each owned it, how boring would that be?

For me I love RM, in a short period of time they have developed some truly cool pieces, along the way quite a bit of buzz. Personally I love the red case, the yellow strap is not for me. Would I buy one?, not sure I would. I have owned RM and own RM watches and am looking to add another. For me they are cool, and I like them. Thats all that matters to me. Other brands mentioned I find boring (FPJ for one). Would I buy one with my cash,.....yawn, nope but I appreciate some people like them and thats good for the industry. We need innovation. I just prefer the innovative direction RM is heading.

Let's just respect each other for what we like, no need to bash something we don't understand.
Perfect post of reason Dave...
Old 24 May 2016, 11:52 AM   #86
kunlun
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.golf View Post
no need to bash
What you seem to be missing here is that naming this watch the "Ronald McDonald Edition" is hilarious.

Here's one of the first customers for it!

Any RM owner who hasn't genuinely laughed at least once in this thread really needs to consider that they may be taking what is only a hobby way too seriously.
Old 24 May 2016, 12:44 PM   #87
Dubarzy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunlun View Post
Any RM owner who hasn't genuinely laughed at least once in this thread really needs to consider that they may be taking what is only a hobby way too seriously.
I don't own a RM, but I was able to keep it together until the Happy Mille.

:r ofl:
Old 24 May 2016, 12:50 PM   #88
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubarzy View Post
I don't own a RM, but I was able to keep it together until the Happy Mille.

:r ofl:
yep the happy mille was a great one Queue
Old 24 May 2016, 01:26 PM   #89
el1125
Banned

Quote:
Yes, several in the RM boutique at Abu Dhabi. I didn't like any of them, the shape and general appearance put me off, and I found it difficult to tell the time.

It's an answer to a problem which doesn't really matter. The ultimate watch for "can I play tennis in my Rolex?". I'm right-handed and wear my watch on my left wrist, so at a wild guess it's OK for me to play tennis wearing my Rolex.
Dude, you really lost me on your second paragraph...on the first, if you don't like the look and fit of them, which is kind of important when buying a watch, don't buy one, prob solved....the materials they are using and developing or have already developed are incredible to me and unique in watchmaking...will they be around in 30 years? Will FPJ be around in 30 years? I'll put my money on the uniqueness of RM whom I believe is backed by some serious investors...
Old 24 May 2016, 02:32 PM   #90
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunlun View Post
Here's one of the first customers for it!

that's hilarious.

Watch everyone change thier mind when John buys one and puts in on a black strap. Would be saweeeeeet.
Closed Thread