The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 8 August 2010, 02:51 PM   #31
Tommysol
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman1957 View Post
Sorry to say Tom but you should read my post again and this time try comprehending it as well, it will make all the difference to what you think I said.

I am glad you enjoy your new copy watch, but since you did say the following: "The PAM 341 is the first RICHEMONT designed model.."

Now lets give those original 1950's Italian genius's their due (you do slightly admit that Richemont did use the orignal design from the 1950's, correct) and we can say that they designed a very beautiful, stunning and appealing watch, but maybe you could give me a link showing exactly what Richemont did to design the current looks and overall appeal of the current 341, becuase even you have to admit from your pictures of the 341 and my 1 picture of the original Big Egiziano was designed and built in 1956, they sure look the same and since you acknowledge that Richemont bought everything incuding the documented internal designs, original documented designs and measurements of the outer watch as well as all of the documented R & D. So maybe provide a link showing the design changes made by Richemont would be appreciated as well or just pictures showing the minute changes that the Richemont fellas did that gave this watch a whole new look, Richemont style.

Haters are like buttholes...everyone has got one. :)
Tommysol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2010, 03:12 PM   #32
emagni
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing TRF
Tom, I have to say...you do take some of the most gorgeous pics. Thanks for sharing and showing the Panerai in the best possible light.
Old 8 August 2010, 03:49 PM   #33
Watchman1957
Banned

Watch: 201/A 202/A PreA9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommysol View Post
Haters are like buttholes...everyone has got one. :)

You are all class Tom, but still missing the links to prove your points or do you just expect me to believe you?

I am not hating anything but I am only asking for your links to prove your statements.

I would like to ask this, did you know that the 1956 Big Egiziano even existed before you bought what I consider a monstrosity?
Watchman1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2010, 08:55 PM   #34
Tommysol
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emagni View Post
Tom, I have to say...you do take some of the most gorgeous pics. Thanks for sharing and showing the Panerai in the best possible light.
Thanks for the nice post...glad you enjoyed the pictures. Your comments make it all worthwhile.
Old 9 August 2010, 01:10 AM   #35
H2F
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pam & Lings
Truly amazing watch!! What a wrist statement! I only have a 6.75" wrist but would LOVE to try to carry it off!!

As to the rest of it, come on, logical debate can't apply to luxury goods ($10K Birkins?????) -- it's all about the grin factor for the owners! Peace brothas! :)
H2F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2010, 01:42 AM   #36
rpryan55
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubND,DD,SSDaytona
Robert, I fully understand your posts and share your incredulity that Richemont has its eye on profit more than artistry, but I don't think that implying Tommy was foolish to spend what he did on this watch is helpful or, for that matter, accurate. The 341 is a limited edition - it is, in fact, what passes for collectible in the world of the Paneristi. It is a stunning looking watch - perhaps not your taste, but Panerai is a taste acquired, not demanded. Tommy, I think, may have actually gotten a bargain considering where the price may go (and neither you nor I have a crystal ball in that regard) and it's my hope that his purchase proves a wise investment.

And whether it does or not, Tommy sure has one cool timepiece on his wrist. And that alone may have been worth the price of admission.
rpryan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2010, 02:18 AM   #37
ocwatching
"TRF" Member

Robert,
While you may not agree with Richemont/Panerai's business practice, the hijacking of Tommy's thread to use as your soapbox is very bad form.
Start a new thread and let everyone debate this if you like (or on P.com for a bigger audience).
But to ruin someone's parade and excitement of a new purchase is uncalled for (IMO).
You have a very nice vintage PAM collection, enjoy it and not worry about the newer pieces.
Tommy, once again, great photos and a great pickup! Its a beauty!
Phil
Old 9 August 2010, 02:34 AM   #38
hennabav
Banned

Watch: --Rolex--
Tommy, HUGE congrats on your new purchase!! It is one amazing piece and makes its point to be heard with its size. I've seen pics of its box and its just over the top as well!! I hope you enjoy it for yourself, not for others!!!
hennabav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2010, 02:44 AM   #39
Watchman1957
Banned

Gentlemen, I have lived and worked in SE Asia for 25 years and have seen so many copies of so many things here and now to see someone spend 29k USD on what I and others consider a copy watch is truly foolish but hey, just my personal opinion.
Old 9 August 2010, 02:47 AM   #40
Watchman1957
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocwatching View Post
Robert,
While you may not agree with Richemont/Panerai's business practice, the hijacking of Tommy's thread to use as your soapbox is very bad form.
Start a new thread and let everyone debate this if you like (or on P.com for a bigger audience).
But to ruin someone's parade and excitement of a new purchase is uncalled for (IMO).
You have a very nice vintage PAM collection, enjoy it and not worry about the newer pieces.
Tommy, once again, great photos and a great pickup! Its a beauty!
Phil

Phil, But who is the best to call out for a debate but the man who spent so much, I would think anyone that spends that much for anything that is just a copy of something that was done in 1956 could easily justify the purchase. It is too bad the debate ended earlier than I would have expected.
Old 9 August 2010, 03:09 AM   #41
Tommysol
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2F View Post
Truly amazing watch!! What a wrist statement! I only have a 6.75" wrist but would LOVE to try to carry it off!!

As to the rest of it, come on, logical debate can't apply to luxury goods ($10K Birkins?????) -- it's all about the grin factor for the owners! Peace brothas! :)
Agree about the grin factor...none of these watches are necessary....they are all personal taste purchases. This watch makes me grin and as a collector...those moments are the essence of luxury items.

The watch has a really awesome presence in person and I think that it will be much more appreciated down the road. I remember the 127 was "too big" and "too expensive" and the "ridiculous domed crystal"...but the watch is a highly sought after model in the Panerai world...because of the very differences that people originally criticized.

Anything groundbreaking...like the PAM 341....will stir emotions since it is so different....some good...some bad.
Old 9 August 2010, 03:13 AM   #42
Tommysol
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hennabav View Post
Tommy, HUGE congrats on your new purchase!! It is one amazing piece and makes its point to be heard with its size. I've seen pics of its box and its just over the top as well!! I hope you enjoy it for yourself, not for others!!!
Thanks for the nice words. I was telling a fellow collector the other day that the box is so different and so talked about already...that in a really strange way...it will add mystique and value to the watch. It will be "the watch with that huge box". I guess it is fitting that since the PAM 341 is the largest watch in its collection...it would have the largest box that Panerai makes.
Old 9 August 2010, 03:32 AM   #43
Tommysol
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpryan55 View Post
Robert, I fully understand your posts and share your incredulity that Richemont has its eye on profit more than artistry, but I don't think that implying Tommy was foolish to spend what he did on this watch is helpful or, for that matter, accurate. The 341 is a limited edition - it is, in fact, what passes for collectible in the world of the Paneristi. It is a stunning looking watch - perhaps not your taste, but Panerai is a taste acquired, not demanded. Tommy, I think, may have actually gotten a bargain considering where the price may go (and neither you nor I have a crystal ball in that regard) and it's my hope that his purchase proves a wise investment.

And whether it does or not, Tommy sure has one cool timepiece on his wrist. And that alone may have been worth the price of admission.
No worries..he is just expressing his opinion on the watch and for that I appreciate his post and thoughts. I could care less whether he or any other collector likes the watch for any reason. I bought the first one in the US...because I like the watch and was not swayed by anybody else's opinion or I did "test the market" by waiting to see where the watch ended up on the resale market.

He was expressing his opinion...I think his condescending remarks are the reason people are reactively negatively to his posts...and for that very reason...I will ignore his comments. FYI..it is very common for collectors of Pre-V and Pre-A pieces to bash the newer pieces. By bashing a new piece...it makes the "hype" greater for their piece. That is the essence of collectors...it is all hype and self-promotion. The Purists.com (Panerai forum) is full of this behavior and it is sad that promoting values has been their primary motive for owning a watch.

You can be a follower and buy pieces that are old and familiar or be a leader..by buying a 60mm watch that appeals to me...not for collectibility...but for its sheer wrist presence.
Old 9 August 2010, 05:59 PM   #44
Watchman1957
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommysol View Post
Agree about the grin factor...none of these watches are necessary....they are all personal taste purchases. This watch makes me grin and as a collector...those moments are the essence of luxury items.

The watch has a really awesome presence in person and I think that it will be much more appreciated down the road. I remember the 127 was "too big" and "too expensive" and the "ridiculous domed crystal"...but the watch is a highly sought after model in the Panerai world...because of the very differences that people originally criticized.

Anything groundbreaking...like the PAM 341....will stir emotions since it is so different....some good...some bad.

Tommy, It is interesting that you mention the 127 which has been selling for appx. 21k to 22k USD but now the bottom has fallen out so hard for the 127 and others that you could fall from California to China in this drop. Which tells me the only thing these kinds of models is good for is flipping as real knowledgable collectors will only spend on hopes prices will increase and hold that increase and continue to incease as their collection get's older (which in most cases they do) but these prices now are coming back down thus the short term price increases are only good for flippers and not collectors. Which as well was point about the recently newly released 26 and the 28 but you failed to pickup on this in your reply.

There was a 127 for sale not too long ago for 12,600 USD, of course the 127 had no box or papers but these prices are falling to the point where it begs to ask, what too buy as a collector? Because I thought collectors of luxurious items collected for the prices to increase?

http://www.network54.com/Forum/35339...++%28B.7924%29

Here Tommy is the biggest surprise, a 317, Panerai Richemont has said they will never make another watch like this again due to problems they had in making the movement in this model and this has sold for 30K+ USD for the past year and now priced at 25K USD.....

http://www.network54.com/Forum/35339...+%28pam1000%29

Any collector of modern day Panerais would have to worry if this trend continues.
Old 10 August 2010, 04:00 AM   #45
L-16610
"TRF" Member

very nice case and dial
But that is too big, not ?
Nice to have but I think impossible to wear
L-16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2010, 07:50 AM   #46
alphamale2012
"TRF" Member

That makes my u-boat look small. Congrats on your new watch and wear it in gd health.
alphamale2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2010, 04:41 PM   #47
ckcspice

Watch: 16610
hey, for anybody 2 b able to spend USD29k on a watch, i think all logic n rationale goes out the window....so as long as the guy is happy with whatever he bought, so be it...who are we to question the way he is spending the dough that he earned?...

wear the watch in good health mate....
ckcspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2010, 07:56 PM   #48
Tommysol
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckcspice View Post
hey, for anybody 2 b able to spend USD29k on a watch, i think all logic n rationale goes out the window....so as long as the guy is happy with whatever he bought, so be it...who are we to question the way he is spending the dough that he earned?...

wear the watch in good health mate....

Appreciate the nice response. I agree 100% with your logic and rationale statements. Anybody that buys a watch more than $29 has already thrown out any logic and rationale. So ALL of the people on these forums cannot logically say why they spend the amount of coin they do for a luxury watch. The only difference is the DEGREE of sickness in this lack of logic and rationale. :)
Old 11 August 2010, 01:30 AM   #49
Watchman1957
Banned

You fellas should read this thread and see what some other Paneristi all of a sudden feel about Richemont and how they have embarrassed themselves and the Panerai name and history with their latest watch: http://www.sg-roc.com/showthread.php?t=44962
Old 11 August 2010, 03:45 AM   #50
Tommysol
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale2012 View Post
That makes my u-boat look small. Congrats on your new watch and wear it in gd health.
Thanks for the nice response.

Your U-boat is by still a large watch! Your 50mm U-boat is till larger than 99.9% of watches currently on the market. Some people might think you are crazy as well for buying a watch that large (like they do me for buying a 60mm watch)...but in the long run...who cares about what other people think if it works for you individually?
Old 11 August 2010, 05:04 AM   #51
Brunotheboxer
Banned

Watch: 16610,PAM. 111, G
I really like it. When you're done with it can I borrow it for a while? I know I can pull it off as I'm pretty much a gym rat and thats all.'s

How many mm's is it? I wish I had 29K to spend on a watch. Ignore the H8TR's.
Brunotheboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2010, 05:16 AM   #52
mike
"TRF" Member

Gentlemen,

Debate and opinion are things that go hand in hand in the collector's arena. While I'm a strong believer in the freedom to express one's opinion (be it a particular reference or the direction a company is goings and their motives for doing so), I do appreciate it if we can hold ourselves above anything that can be viewed as personal.

How one spends their money and what they buy is totally up to them. I for one am totally hot to own a 29 should the opportunity present itself. I'm well aware it's a re-issue of a previous reference and there are those that because of this view the re-issue as something less than the original (and the company making their $$$). Never the less it appeals to me and it's my money.

The same is true of Tommy's 341 or any reference anyone prefers.

Arguements about the motives of any watch brand go on and on. Witness the views expressed by some Rolex owners (or detractors) about the direction the company has taken and the pricing, bling, and quality of recent offerings.

We are free to choose what we want--or not. That is a tenant that has made this such a great hobby.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2010, 05:48 AM   #53
Tommysol
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunotheboxer View Post
I really like it. When you're done with it can I borrow it for a while? I know I can pull it off as I'm pretty much a gym rat and thats all.'s

How many mm's is it? I wish I had 29K to spend on a watch. Ignore the H8TR's.
The watch is 60mm. I think if you have a large wrist...although the watch is definitely large and over-sized...but IMO...very wearable. Until I tried on the watch...I too was of the opinion the watch was too large. I think most people should wait until they try on the watch before passing judgment on it being too big. I am sure this same argument came about when 6 years ago..when the 47mm PAM 127 dwarfed a 36mm Rolex Datejust. People then thought the PAM 127 was ridiculously large...now it is a sought after size for even the smallest of wrists.

As to Haters...who cares that they have a need to spew their misery! :)
Old 11 August 2010, 05:53 AM   #54
Tommysol
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
Gentlemen,

Debate and opinion are things that go hand in hand in the collector's arena. While I'm a strong believer in the freedom to express one's opinion (be it a particular reference or the direction a company is goings and their motives for doing so), I do appreciate it if we can hold ourselves above anything that can be viewed as personal.

How one spends their money and what they buy is totally up to them. I for one am totally hot to own a 29 should the opportunity present itself. I'm well aware it's a re-issue of a previous reference and there are those that because of this view the re-issue as something less than the original (and the company making their $$$). Never the less it appeals to me and it's my money.

The same is true of Tommy's 341 or any reference anyone prefers.

Arguements about the motives of any watch brand go on and on. Witness the views expressed by some Rolex owners (or detractors) about the direction the company has taken and the pricing, bling, and quality of recent offerings.

We are free to choose what we want--or not. That is a tenant that has made this such a great hobby.

I agree wholeheartedly with your post. I just think hijacking a post to stand on a pedestal and preach is in poor taste....but hey who I am to say what people can post. I think the readers decide on what side they gravitate to..in this case..it is abundantly clear! :)

Thanks again for the post!
Old 11 August 2010, 05:57 AM   #55
Tommysol
"TRF" Member

More pictures of the PAM 341 comparing size with other PAM's...

Old 11 August 2010, 06:06 AM   #56
Tommysol
"TRF" Member

Pictures of the PAM 341 presentation box...

Old 11 August 2010, 06:20 AM   #57
ocwatching
"TRF" Member

simply awesome photos Tommy...
and you have a definitive PAM collection...
again..wear them in good health..
love to see the rest of your collection...
Old 11 August 2010, 07:15 AM   #58
Joey_V
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub 16610 M
My gosh it's so big.

That's what she said!

LOL... ok I keed I keed.

No seriously, it's a supremely large watch. By no means a daily wearer but definitely one of those once in a lifetime pieces.

Current Rotation: Rolex Submariner Date (M) - 1/08, Rolex Milgauss GV (V) - 2/10, Rolex SS Black Daytona (V) - 6/10, Rolex GMTIIC (G) - 5/11, TAG Heuer Silverstone (286/1860) - 1/2015
Former-watches: Omega PO/2535.80/2254, TAG Carrera/F1x2/Monaco, Panerai 312K/292L
Wish List: Panerai 270/505, Rolex SMURF, Rolex RG Daytona, Rolex DSSD
Joey_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2010, 09:00 AM   #59
sbux
"TRF" Member

what is that circular thing included in the box ? (in the lower left hand corner)
sbux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2010, 09:40 AM   #60
Tommysol
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbux View Post
what is that circular thing included in the box ? (in the lower left hand corner)
It is an extra plexi cyrstal in a plastic case.