The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 7 August 2010, 06:00 AM   #1
Tommysol
"TRF" Member

PAM 341 pictures...enjoy!

Tommysol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2010, 06:15 AM   #2
destrow
"TRF" Member

just like the television show, that's incredible.

congrats and thanks for sharing.
destrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2010, 06:18 AM   #3
mfer
"TRF" Member

wow, you got one Tommy?

what is that tiny thing next to it...
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2010, 06:40 AM   #4
Nahligah

Watch: not enough...
Looks great! How does it feel/wear?
Nahligah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2010, 06:44 AM   #5
JF23
"TRF" Member

Massively Awesome!!!

Congrats Tom.
JF23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2010, 07:00 AM   #6
m_reign
"TRF" Member

Congrats!!! That thing has some mass, time to cancel your gym membership
m_reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2010, 07:03 AM   #7
dotcomakazee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp II 42mm
*applause*

What's MSRP on that puppy?

dotcomakazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2010, 07:32 AM   #8
ocwatching
"TRF" Member

congrats on the 341...love the photos..
and really..this watch is much better in person...
MSRP $29k
Old 7 August 2010, 07:37 AM   #9
Sweramic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Movies
Please, tell me how many Panerais you have! :cheers.

-Warren Buffet
Sweramic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2010, 07:46 AM   #10
psv
"TRF" Member

The design is beautiful but I'm sorry, the size is a joke, it looks ridiculous IMO, even on an obviously muscular arm like yours.

But whatever floats your boat - enjoy it! :-)
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2010, 07:56 AM   #11
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Best of both worlds - put a nail in the wall and hang your watch on it at night when you go to bed - voila! A wall clock and a wrist watch. I thought the 193 was big...
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2010, 09:19 AM   #12
emagni
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing TRF
Big Congrats.....no pun intended. Although you might have to purchase some bigger wrists. jk
Old 7 August 2010, 11:29 AM   #13
Chad C.

Watch: Explorer / GMT IIc
That watch is huge! But in all sincerity I think you can pull it off. Looks good man.
Chad C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2010, 01:42 PM   #14
Watchman1957
Banned

Watch: 201/A 202/A PreA9
Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
The design is beautiful but I'm sorry, the size is a joke, it looks ridiculous IMO, even on an obviously muscular arm like yours.

But whatever floats your boat - enjoy it! :-)

Although very, very true the design is beautiful, Richemont had absolutely positively nothing to do with it except collecting your 29k USD when you buy one.

I was on the official Panerai website looking for some GTG info and I read some of their PR.

"Designing watches in Italy and producing in Switzerland".

Jesus considering this watch why don't they just say, we did nothing but copied the the crap out of the Panerai GPF 2/56 (the “Big Egiziano”) for the Egyptian Navy from back in 1956. Now can you please pay us 29k USD for this magnificiently designed watch that we only copied?

For your reference, an original Paneria GPF 2/56 60mm from 1956:

Richemont? I am starting to doubt these F@*%$@S!!!
Watchman1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2010, 03:31 PM   #15
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
I have 19.5cm wrists ......... I can wear one !!!

Excellent pics Tommy !!

I think its absolutely brilliant !!
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2010, 04:14 PM   #16
Watchman1957
Banned

My left wrist is 18 cm but my right wrist has been broken twice and the last time pinned and plated and it is 21 1/2 cm but yet I would still not want to wear one, it is just a knock-off.
Old 7 August 2010, 11:07 PM   #17
rpryan55
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubND,DD,SSDaytona
I couldn't wear it (don't have the wrists for it), but it's really, really cool. And it's a piece that you'll never really see in the wild.

Congratulations!
rpryan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2010, 12:36 AM   #18
B. Doggy
"TRF" Member

Fantabulous.
Old 8 August 2010, 01:53 AM   #19
Tommysol
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahligah View Post
Looks great! How does it feel/wear?

The watch feels amazing light (considering its size)..I think mainly to do with the titanium case and plexi crystal..a very pleasant surprise.
Old 8 August 2010, 01:56 AM   #20
Tommysol
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
I have 19.5cm wrists ......... I can wear one !!!

Excellent pics Tommy !!

I think its absolutely brilliant !!
Thanks for the picture compliments and I agree the watch is brilliant. I think some of the people that do not like the watch in the forum would change their mind when seeing it in person...it really is stunning.
Old 8 August 2010, 01:59 AM   #21
Tommysol
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfer View Post
wow, you got one Tommy?

what is that tiny thing next to it...
Yeah..I was surprised at how small the 47mm PAM 232 looked in compared to the Egiziano. What is funnier..after wearing the 341...when going back to a 44mm watch for the evening...the 44mm looked small! Kind of like wearing a 47 mm Panerai and then trying on a 36mm Rolex...it is that extreme!
Old 8 August 2010, 02:00 AM   #22
Tommysol
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Doggy View Post
Fantabulous.
I agree..thanks for your post!
Old 8 August 2010, 02:01 AM   #23
Tommysol
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocwatching View Post
congrats on the 341...love the photos..
and really..this watch is much better in person...
MSRP $29k
I agree it is much better in person and people should se it before passing judjment.
Old 8 August 2010, 02:07 AM   #24
Tommysol
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman1957 View Post
Although very, very true the design is beautiful, Richemont had absolutely positively nothing to do with it except collecting your 29k USD when you buy one.

I was on the official Panerai website looking for some GTG info and I read some of their PR.

"Designing watches in Italy and producing in Switzerland".

Jesus considering this watch why don't they just say, we did nothing but copied the the crap out of the Panerai GPF 2/56 (the “Big Egiziano”) for the Egyptian Navy from back in 1956. Now can you please pay us 29k USD for this magnificiently designed watch that we only copied?

For your reference, an original Paneria GPF 2/56 60mm from 1956:

Richemont? I am starting to doubt these F@*%$@S!!!
Thanks for your opinion. Most people feel Panerai should stick to "it roots" and keep the watch traditional to it past. IMHO..that is what Panerai is all about..just look at how they hype the past.

Just not sure why you even like and follow and the brand...since Richemont's whole marketing goal is to recapture the history of Panerai..which..as you stated...was a perfect copy of that past.

Just confused on why you are so upset with Richemont...when they are following their chosen path with their collectors. What do you want them to make a two-tone gold piece with diamonds which in no way is a kink to its hyped past?
Old 8 August 2010, 02:10 AM   #25
Tommysol
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad C. View Post
That watch is huge! But in all sincerity I think you can pull it off. Looks good man.
Thanks...it really is a wearable watch for me. Not an everyday watch for sure...but it will not be a safe queen....like a PAM 191 60mm Compass.
Old 8 August 2010, 02:36 AM   #26
Benwah
"TRF" Member

Wow, this is humongous! Congrats.
Benwah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2010, 03:32 AM   #27
ocwatching
"TRF" Member

agreed...+1 Tommy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommysol View Post
Thanks for your opinion. Most people feel Panerai should stick to "it roots" and keep the watch traditional to it past. IMHO..that is what Panerai is all about..just look at how they hype the past.

Just not sure why you even like and follow and the brand...since Richemont's whole marketing goal is to recapture the history of Panerai..which..as you stated...was a perfect copy of that past.

Just confused on why you are so upset with Richemont...when they are following their chosen path with their collectors. What do you want them to make a two-tone gold piece with diamonds which in no way is a kink to its hyped past?
Old 8 August 2010, 04:40 AM   #28
Watchman1957
Banned

Quote:

Tom, I assume you paid the retail price for the watch and that price was or near 29k USD, RIght. Do you see 29k of workmanship and components in the watch? I do not. All I can see is Richemont copying some of the old classics and putting 5 figure price tags on them and cleaning up becuase as most know there are huge development, R & D and design costs in any new product but not Richemont they just pocket the money they should have spent on Design and R & D or price the watch cheaper, Richemont is charging what the public will bear.

Yes it is about the history of Panerai but did Richemont have anything to do with that Panerai history? No. As for Richemont and Panerai history, all I see Richemont doing is competing against the Panerai of yesteryear. And it is not much of a competition since all they can do is copy, copy and copy again. If they want to stick with the watches of Panerai history then why not design some that compete with those of yesteryear instead of just copy copy copy. Is that the best Richemont has, what do they do for the 2011 collection, sit around the boardroom and decide what watches of yesteryear to copy and then settle on a 5 figure price tag for a copy watch? Is that the best Richemont has to offer?

I lost fatih in Richemont a few months ago and have sold off my other 4 PAM's. The only Richemont made pieces I own now is a Pre 9A, complete with a 6500caseback and a t-swiss-t dial and a 9B as my daily beater. I also have a mint 201/A that is complete as well as a very rare complete non-matching 202/A Marina Militare that comes with a invoice copy from Panerai Firenze to the Italian Navy. This watch was one of 17 202/A Marina Militare delivered to the Italian Navy.

As for collectors, I personally believe the only pieces worth collecting are the Pre A9, the Pre A2 and any of the 5218 series Pre-V's and a few of the new models, very few.. But then I just recently had the cash transferred for the newly acquired 202/A and yes at the time, it felt like I was paying for a gold watch with diamonds.

I feel the collectors should be careful or they could see their collection devalued in these newer pieces. Look at just recently, the recently released 26 and 28 as well as others like the 127 and the 317. They were all selling at a premium but they did not hlod their value as the 26 and 28 are below 10k now and even a 127 recently sold for 12,500 USD with no box nor papers with it. The 317 that has ran in the range of 31k to 33k on average are now selling for less than 30k in most cases. Incidently the 317 is a watch that should be a modern PAM day collectors item but even it is losing it's value ever so slightly. So why would collectors buy the more modern pieces only to see their investment decrease in value over the next few years?
Old 8 August 2010, 05:39 AM   #29
Tommysol
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman1957 View Post
Tom, I assume you paid the retail price for the watch and that price was or near 29k USD, RIght. Do you see 29k of workmanship and components in the watch? I do not. All I can see is Richemont copying some of the old classics and putting 5 figure price tags on them and cleaning up becuase as most know there are huge development, R & D and design costs in any new product but not Richemont they just pocket the money they should have spent on Design and R & D or price the watch cheaper, Richemont is charging what the public will bear.

Yes it is about the history of Panerai but did Richemont have anything to do with that Panerai history? No. As for Richemont and Panerai history, all I see Richemont doing is competing against the Panerai of yesteryear. And it is not much of a competition since all they can do is copy, copy and copy again. If they want to stick with the watches of Panerai history then why not design some that compete with those of yesteryear instead of just copy copy copy. Is that the best Richemont has, what do they do for the 2011 collection, sit around the boardroom and decide what watches of yesteryear to copy and then settle on a 5 figure price tag for a copy watch? Is that the best Richemont has to offer?

I lost fatih in Richemont a few months ago and have sold off my other 4 PAM's. The only Richemont made pieces I own now is a Pre 9A, complete with a 6500caseback and a t-swiss-t dial and a 9B as my daily beater. I also have a mint 201/A that is complete as well as a very rare complete non-matching 202/A Marina Militare that comes with a invoice copy from Panerai Firenze to the Italian Navy. This watch was one of 17 202/A Marina Militare delivered to the Italian Navy.

As for collectors, I personally believe the only pieces worth collecting are the Pre A9, the Pre A2 and any of the 5218 series Pre-V's and a few of the new models, very few.. But then I just recently had the cash transferred for the newly acquired 202/A and yes at the time, it felt like I was paying for a gold watch with diamonds.

I feel the collectors should be careful or they could see their collection devalued in these newer pieces. Look at just recently, the recently released 26 and 28 as well as others like the 127 and the 317. They were all selling at a premium but they did not hlod their value as the 26 and 28 are below 10k now and even a 127 recently sold for 12,500 USD with no box nor papers with it. The 317 that has ran in the range of 31k to 33k on average are now selling for less than 30k in most cases. Incidently the 317 is a watch that should be a modern PAM day collectors item but even it is losing it's value ever so slightly. So why would collectors buy the more modern pieces only to see their investment decrease in value over the next few years?
Robert ...your logic is so full of holes...that I will not even address your points. I think you contradict your own points. To illustrate that..is your 26 & 28 comments...those are remakes of a previous RICHEMONT design...not the past. The PAM 26 & 28 A & B series are holding value and are currently 7 times the original list price. The next flaw is your 317 comments..the watch has no history and is a "new design" and as you stated...not holding value. So..is Richemont AND COLLECTORS being stupid by building/buyer watches that are tied to history? The PAM 341 is the first RICHEMONT designed model..not a remake of a previous Richemont design...like the 26/28's u quoted.

As to Richemont not owning the company when the Egiziano was originally built...that is pure hogwash and not relevant in any discussion. Company's change ownership all the time and in 150 years history...this was obviously going to happen? FYI..Richemont owns the trademarks on these pieces you describe. General Motors has changed ownership many times over the years...they still build a Camaro..and the Camaro could even be made in Mexico. The current 2010 model is a remake of an existing car..with better components than the original...just like the 341.

I enjoy my new watch and could care less about what a few people think of the watch. As I said....I really have no idea why you collect high-end watches and more importantly follow the Panerai brand. If you bought a $500 Oris...you paid more than the watch is worth to 99.95% of the general populace.

I value your opinion...but fail to see any logic in your posts..that is all.
Old 8 August 2010, 01:57 PM   #30
Watchman1957
Banned

Quote:
Robert ...your logic is so full of holes...that I will not even address your points. I think you contradict your own points. To illustrate that..is your 26 & 28 comments...those are remakes of a previous RICHEMONT design...not the past. The PAM 26 & 28 A & B series are holding value and are currently 7 times the original list price. The next flaw is your 317 comments..the watch has no history and is a "new design" and as you stated...not holding value. So..is Richemont AND COLLECTORS being stupid by building/buyer watches that are tied to history? The PAM 341 is the first RICHEMONT designed model..not a remake of a previous Richemont design...like the 26/28's u quoted.

As to Richemont not owning the company when the Egiziano was originally built...that is pure hogwash and not relevant in any discussion. Company's change ownership all the time and in 150 years history...this was obviously going to happen? FYI..Richemont owns the trademarks on these pieces you describe. General Motors has changed ownership many times over the years...they still build a Camaro..and the Camaro could even be made in Mexico. The current 2010 model is a remake of an existing car..with better components than the original...just like the 341.

I enjoy my new watch and could care less about what a few people think of the watch. As I said....I really have no idea why you collect high-end watches and more importantly follow the Panerai brand. If you bought a $500 Oris...you paid more than the watch is worth to 99.95% of the general populace.

I value your opinion...but fail to see any logic in your posts..that is all.

Sorry to say Tom but you should read my post again and this time try comprehending it as well, it will make all the difference to what you think I said.

I am glad you enjoy your new copy watch, but since you did say the following: "The PAM 341 is the first RICHEMONT designed model.."

Now lets give those original 1950's Italian genius's their due (you do slightly admit that Richemont did use the orignal design from the 1950's, correct) and we can say that they designed a very beautiful, stunning and appealing watch, but maybe you could give me a link showing exactly what Richemont did to design the current looks and overall appeal of the current 341, becuase even you have to admit from your pictures of the 341 and my 1 picture of the original Big Egiziano was designed and built in 1956, they sure look the same and since you acknowledge that Richemont bought everything incuding the documented internal designs, original documented designs and measurements of the outer watch as well as all of the documented R & D. So maybe provide a link showing the design changes made by Richemont would be appreciated as well or just pictures showing the minute changes that the Richemont fellas did that gave this watch a whole new look, Richemont style.

After thinking about it Tom, I can understand your not wanting to make sense of my posting and posting that nonsense that Richemont designed the 341, I would truly be embarassed if I spent 29k USD on a copy watch from 1956. If you were going to spend so much, why not just buy the original and have a real piece of Paneai history?

Richemont's 341

Panerai's GPF 2/56 (the “Big Egiziano”)