The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 May 2019, 02:33 AM   #31
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 114060, 216570
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb335 View Post
Wow, you sure can tell a lot by just looking at people...

No, but seriously, this is silly. You have no idea what someone’s motivation is for wearing a watch nor do you have any idea of their educational background or net worth by just looking at them. To think you can tell all that by just looking at someone tells me a lot about you.

And even if everything you assume about these people is true, who cares?!?! They aren’t hurting anyone. Let people live and judge less.
This has absolutely in the slightest degree nothing to do with net worth.. I have certainly more respect for a person that dress like a complete beggar with a Patek now that would be a nice statement.
crazymcmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2019, 02:39 AM   #32
LndLord
"TRF" Member

Interesting you made a thread about this
LndLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2019, 02:44 AM   #33
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymcmichael View Post
This has absolutely in the slightest degree nothing to do with net worth.. I have certainly more respect for a person that dress like a complete beggar with a Patek now that would be a nice statement.
I mentioned net worth because you said some of these people looked like they couldn't afford to wear a Rolex or AP.
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2019, 02:45 AM   #34
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Quote:
It also really frustrates to see that in 9 of 10 cases the wearer is really a ''not so smart'' one that looks like he spends his last few bucks on a Rolex or AP Just to feel ''cool'' and fashion approved.

You wrote this.
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2019, 02:50 AM   #35
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb335 View Post
You wrote this.
It is a certain type of person that looks like ''they can't'' think responsible enough and go in debts for a watch, it has nothing to do with net worth, but i am talking about a ''responsible'' normal type of person.. Like the people on this forum merely are.. Again, you will not understand what i mean but i think this is because the type of person i am referring to simply don't exist in the USA.. They are different...……… UK people are also different... We have a type that is unique for my country.. Even Belgium has not this type of person and Germans are also different... It is a type of person that are involved in reality series like ''temptation islands'' and ''zon zee en zuipen'' and such. I guess the dutch guys tend to agree.. If you would refer them as a responsible, adult and educated type of person, be my guest.. Offcourse, you have idiots in the USA and UK, you have idiots everywhere but my country and its people has gone very bad in recent decennia i guess……
in general, i don't really care.. But i think it is a major downside that all of these guys wear a luxury watch here...……… But indeed, maybe i am crazy(i am crazy certainly) and they are the new standard of normal))
Old 14 May 2019, 02:50 AM   #36
airpeace
Banned

they probably look at you the same way.
airpeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2019, 02:56 AM   #37
Batmannr1
"TRF" Member

Watch: On the left wrist
Quote:
Amsterdam.. Now i must admit that i see them less plenty in other cities i visit. Still frequent but very very much less
Hi there fellow Amsterdammer.
Also live in Mokum, did not notice yet that there were so many SS Rolexes and APs around. Will pay more attention, but it does not bother me that non WIS are wearing high end watches.
Batmannr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2019, 03:11 AM   #38
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airpeace View Post
Bit of a double post than.
So you blame me for thinking of them but on the other hand you suspect them also from thinking about me?

Maybe, and thats a possibility i have a big downturn on people in general and i place them under 2 or 3 categories wether they wear a nice watch or not.. Or, i am to obsessed about watches in general and i spot them to ''easily'' from a distance… So that they are so obviously to me that i enlarge the picture of the percent of people wearing a luxury watch, on the other hand.. I just gone to the shops for 10 minutes and i seriously saw a few Rolexes on just a few people…….. Yesterday i was in the city and i saw a massive amount of Rolexes and quite some AP's...… And thats about the standard......… Hmmmmm……………. I am obviously not attacking anybody here, so no reason to ''hate on my topic'' Unless you feel attacked by it anyway…. Whatever
Old 14 May 2019, 03:19 AM   #39
TimeToWatch
Banned

Watch: Rolex & AP
Quote:
Amsterdam.. Now i must admit that i see them less plenty in other cities i visit. Still frequent but very very much less
Really? I’ve been in Amsterdam a couple times in the last few years and never noticed a ton of Rolex. NYC and the Hamptons are as you’ve described. In the hamptons I think I saw a 16520, 116520 and 116500 in the period of 20 minutes. It’s absurd.
TimeToWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2019, 03:24 AM   #40
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeToWatch View Post
Really? I’ve been in Amsterdam a couple times in the last few years and never noticed a ton of Rolex. NYC and the Hamptons are as you’ve described. In the hamptons I think I saw a 16520, 116520 and 116500 in the period of 20 minutes. It’s absurd.
Well, i must say that it is quite ''new'' i think this kind of ''hype'' i think it is gettin hotter and hotter at this very moment...…… I remember when i came into watches and got my first Breitling you saw a much much much less Rolexes around.. But my description is not very ''accepted'' i must say
Old 14 May 2019, 03:30 AM   #41
yoast
"TRF" Member

If this frustrates you, don't go to Hong Kong, where even the rubbish collectors wear rolex.
And by the way, 90% of watches you see on "those" people in Ams are fake anyway.
Old 14 May 2019, 03:31 AM   #42
TimeToWatch
Banned

Watch: Rolex & AP
Quote:
Well, i must say that it is quite ''new'' i think this kind of ''hype'' i think it is gettin hotter and hotter at this very moment...…… I remember when i came into watches and got my first Breitling you saw a much much much less Rolexes around.. But my description is not very ''accepted'' i must say
It’s probably thanks to Jasper over at Amsterdam Vintage Watches
TimeToWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2019, 03:35 AM   #43
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeToWatch View Post
It’s probably thanks to Jasper over at Amsterdam Vintage Watches
Well, i must in all honesty confess that in the YouTube reactions on these video's, if you can read dutch you can get a idea of what i mean Translating them would not help though.
To be clear i am talking about the reactions of random dutch youtubers on his video's.. But also, he make sometimes video's about what ''certain'' type of ''celebrity'' wears that clearly attracks this kind of people………… Well whatever, i hope some of you at least understand a bit what i mean)
Old 14 May 2019, 03:37 AM   #44
~JJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
Perhaps a little less judgment and looking down at people will go along way.
~JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2019, 03:41 AM   #45
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
I think it shows that employment and economic growth are driving lifestyle improvements. A benefit to all.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2019, 03:49 AM   #46
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
It happens man. Not everyone with a nice sports car is a car guy.

Not everyone with a nice watch is a WIS.

Not everyone that wears Gucci is aware of all the history.

Not everyone with the newest iphone is a technology nerd or whatever.

You work hard, make some money, buy whatever you want for whatever reason you want.

Some people buy a Daytona because they like it. Some because of the history. Some because they race. Some because it is a good investment.

We can't control those things, so don't worry about it!

That's just the way it is!!!
schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2019, 03:50 AM   #47
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpeace View Post
Lol maybe!

You never know
schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2019, 03:53 AM   #48
AK797
Banned

Watch: ing ships roll in
I don't remember Amsterdam being like this, all I recall is that it smells "funny" and the girls wear hardly anything at all.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2019, 03:54 AM   #49
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I don't remember Amsterdam being like this, all I recall is that it smells "funny" and the girls wear hardly anything at all.
Thats a actual benefit ain't it?
Old 14 May 2019, 03:55 AM   #50
klenboy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I would love to see a sight like this. A Rolex Sports and AP a common sight in the wild is a good thing (perhaps to a point - but that's another discussion)! Since these are not a common sight in AD display cases. Doesn't matter if it's for pursuing current fashion or just the plain enjoyment of wearing it.
klenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2019, 03:56 AM   #51
AK797
Banned

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Thats a actual benefit ain't it?
No time for looking at a hairy man's wrist and no concentration.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2019, 03:58 AM   #52
ct.matt
"TRF" Member

Once you stop comparing yourself to other people or care what other people wear/think of you, you'll be a lot happier
ct.matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2019, 04:06 AM   #53
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
No time for looking at a hairy man's wrist and no concentration.
Old 14 May 2019, 04:54 AM   #54
blankapdx
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500 black
Is it because you don't feel special anymore now that everybody is wearing a rolex? And they're not worthy? Who are you to judge smh
blankapdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2019, 04:58 AM   #55
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankapdx View Post
Is it because you don't feel special anymore now that everybody is wearing a rolex? And they're not worthy? Who are you to judge smh
Well no... It is a fashion trend at this very moment at that group of people... Special? I am not a damn prince
Old 14 May 2019, 05:11 AM   #56
subprimero
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060
If it bothers you, I think it's time for you to move on to Urwerk or F.P. Journe.
subprimero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2019, 05:12 AM   #57
ImSorryBut...
Banned

OP is judgmental and likes to look down on people. Noted
ImSorryBut... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2019, 05:15 AM   #58
Equity
"TRF" Member

The downside of Rolex and AP..???

Judging from your general demeanor, my guess is you’d probably look at me via the same looking glass. You’d be sadly mistaken with your assessment.

it wouldn’t bother me a bit.

Stay classy.

Love,
Guy in a $15 t-shirt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Equity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2019, 05:16 AM   #59
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Quote:
This might be a shocking title for most of you guys

I live in a city that seriously every ''not so smart looking'' person rocks a Rolex or otherwise a AP... It is such a hype over here that i guess 3 or 4 on 10 wears a Submariner, GMT , dj, YM or AP-ro here...… Like i said, most of these guys are certainly not interessed in the actual ''brands'' watch history and in watches but are wearing them withh just 1 intention: Showing off.. I really really feel ashamed when i see this kind of guys walking but in this city the problem is so severe that literally everywhere you look you see them Can you imagine? Rolex claims scarcity on these models and every passant wears a Sub or GMT?? I don't know if they are all fake offcourse but i don't think so…

Does this bothers you? It certainly bothers me to a high degree.. The only watches i have noticed very very very little in public and just on the airports are 2 times a Explorer 2 and Exp.1 new AK and the PM kind of stuff

Now this might be because this models are less Obvious because of the lack of turning bezel etc.. A Pepsi GMT is also not to common yet.. Old and new ones but LN, BLNR, LV, Sub LN YM are really considered ''to common''
It also really frustrates to see that in 9 of 10 cases the wearer is really a ''not so smart'' one that looks like he spends his last few bucks on a Rolex or AP Just to feel ''cool'' and fashion approved. I rarely see a person that i suspect of good education wearing one.. Not that i am educated but you get my point.
A lot of assumptions going on here...
Old 14 May 2019, 05:21 AM   #60
Heff
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster Pro
I personally don’t care what the reasons are people wear the watches they do. They have their reasons, I have mine, and neither should affect the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Heff is offline   Reply With Quote