The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 July 2023, 04:13 AM   #61
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
The BBB58 is a very nice watch, but you can pick one up, gently used, with lots of warranty left, for well under $3,000. Do that, if you really want one. If your SA doesn’t come through, within the next 2 months, go grey!

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2023, 04:37 AM   #62
Nads786
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
Unfortunately, my instinct is that Razny will be hardest to break into (or, more accurately, if they have long lists, a Tudor won't move the needle). Based on locations (very expensive storefront on Oak) and lines sold (only Patek dealer in the region), it seems to cater to a very high-$$ clientele. They also only sell Tudor at one location, in the burbs.

To be clear, I think it's perfectly ok to try the bundling move at an AD whose list you're already on. I just probably wouldn't try it with the one where you have some established relationship (prior ring), since that's the one most likely to come through on its own.
Good insights, I agree about Razny that’s why I haven’t even tried them. I’m gonna see if J&W would consider a bundle.
Nads786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2023, 04:37 AM   #63
Nads786
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
The BBB58 is a very nice watch, but you can pick one up, gently used, with lots of warranty left, for well under $3,000. Do that, if you really want one. If your SA doesn’t come through, within the next 2 months, go grey!

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I think September should be a good cut off as I head to London and I’d like to have the watch to wear by then.
Old 6 July 2023, 04:41 AM   #64
Nads786
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg1111 View Post
I wanted a Sub, so I went to several ADs to express my interest. I bought 2 Tudors at one AD and a Tudor and a tennis bracelet at another. At both of these ADs, I was explicitly told that these purchases would get me a Sub faster. Two years later, I got nothing from either of these ADs. I ended up getting a Sub from another AD where I had zero purchase history.

If I started over again, I would not play the game with the purchases. I would express interest at as many places as I could, check in when I could, and wait. Or I would have just gone grey.

The Tudors are nice watches. Of the 3 I bought, I sold 2 for somewhat close to what I paid. I still have one that I wear a lot, even after getting the Sub. I wouldn’t hold back from buying a Tudor if it’s what you want. I wouldn’t buy it if it’s only meant to move you up a waitlist. I don’t think a Tudor nets them enough to move you up a list.
That’s really unfortunate what happened to you. I think the entire AD process has been pretty poor from my limited experience. The exception has been my main AD and Las Vegas.
Old 6 July 2023, 04:45 AM   #65
noshame
"TRF" Member

Personally, I feel like a $13k ring purchase in 2019 should be able to get you a SubDate within 8-12 months. You've only waited since March so I'd give it more time.

There are other variables at play though. Are you working with the same SA that helped you with the ring? This is important. If not, does your new SA know about the ring? If possible, say hi to the manager and let them know about your previous purchase. I also find that a text and/or visit to your SA every 2-3 months really does help keep you front of mind. Remember, you SA probably has 50+ clients like you who want a SubDate. Good luck!
Old 6 July 2023, 06:22 AM   #66
Nads786
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noshame View Post
Personally, I feel like a $13k ring purchase in 2019 should be able to get you a SubDate within 8-12 months. You've only waited since March so I'd give it more time.

There are other variables at play though. Are you working with the same SA that helped you with the ring? This is important. If not, does your new SA know about the ring? If possible, say hi to the manager and let them know about your previous purchase. I also find that a text and/or visit to your SA every 2-3 months really does help keep you front of mind. Remember, you SA probably has 50+ clients like you who want a SubDate. Good luck!
Yep I'm working with the same SA as in 2019 who happens to be the son of the owner. I'm checking in about every other month as to not be overwhelming.

To his credit he's been consistent I will get the watch and mentioned there is much more availability in 2023 than in prior years.
Old 6 July 2023, 06:37 AM   #67
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by noshame View Post

Is that post from 2021?

By now it should be clear that the sooner everyone stops trying to get on the 'list' the sooner it will be over.
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2023, 07:02 AM   #68
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nads786 View Post
Good insights, I agree about Razny that’s why I haven’t even tried them. I’m gonna see if J&W would consider a bundle.
Not. Gonna. Happen.

James and Sons might, but James and William would first have to start selling Tudor for that to be possible .
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2023, 11:22 AM   #69
Scholar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think that’s been frustrating for me as well. I speak to my AD once a month over the phone and he assures me I’ll get the watch before my birthday but man October is a long way away.

2019 was also five years ago almost.
If the AD has explicitly promised you the watch this year, I don't see what you'd be gaining by buying an additional watch to supposedly 'lock it in'.

Not to mention BB58s are still desirable so they're not something an AD has trouble moving; it's not like you're buying one of the dogs of the Tudor lineup like a 1926.
Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2023, 12:43 PM   #70
Giovannibravo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub| DJ41| 79540
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRell View Post
As much as I love my sub date, I wouldn’t. Get an omega sea master 300 heritage and a datejust, great combo. Or just be patient and wait for the sub date, if will come in.

So I have a BB41 and a 124060. I am looking to add a DJ41. I feel each has its place in a collection. Tudor when you don’t want to wear a Rolex. Submariner for every day and a DJ41 when you want to get dressed up (these days, it’s business casual).

I would get the Tudor first, as I did, if you genuinely want it. Submariner will come after that, hopefully. You could also get a DJ if it speaks to you. Enjoy the journey, my friend. It’s a tough hobby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Giovannibravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2023, 02:11 PM   #71
kl2244
"TRF" Member

I might be wrong but I don’t see that happening, buying a Tudor to lock in a Rolex is just absurd.
kl2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2023, 03:19 PM   #72
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
Is it worth the hassle of not knowing if or when you would ever get your watch from your AD? I’m not convinced about buying something else just on the off chance it gets you closer to what you really want, for me I’d be buying from one of the trusted resellers on here plenty of people give positive feedback on the regular ones.
996marty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2023, 08:05 PM   #73
MDR143
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710 BLNR
Buy the Tudor grey and save the cash. You’ll get the sub before October and the BB will hold you over until then!
MDR143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2023, 10:36 PM   #74
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Buy it grey, then march in there and wave it it in their faces
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2023, 10:46 PM   #75
puma1552
"TRF" Member

Problem with buying gray is that then you just fuel the insanity to continue, if we take it as truth that the ADs are supplying the gray market. It becomes a vicious cycle:

AD supplies gray dealer --> AD tells customer nothing is in stock --> gray dealer charges high price --> frustrated AD customer buys from gray dealer at high price --> gray dealer needs inventory replenished --> AD supplies gray
puma1552 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2023, 11:50 PM   #76
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Have a straight up talk with someone at the AD who can give you some answers, and then...go from there.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2023, 01:44 AM   #77
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
Problem with buying gray is that then you just fuel the insanity to continue, if we take it as truth that the ADs are supplying the gray market. It becomes a vicious cycle:

AD supplies gray dealer --> AD tells customer nothing is in stock --> gray dealer charges high price --> frustrated AD customer buys from gray dealer at high price --> gray dealer needs inventory replenished --> AD supplies gray
Buying non-Rolex items from AD also fuels the insanity. You're signaling to the AD that the entry-level SS model you requested is still worth 30% more than MSRP. They'll remain motivated to keep it in the safe until you've spent the required margin on marked-up jewelry and slow-moving watch brands.

It's a simple decision tree:
1) Are you patient? Then just remain persistent with the AD and wait until they break. Don't buy jewelry other items you don't want.
2) 'Need' that watch sooner? Get the best Grey deal you can find. Price erosion continues and many models are at MSRP already.
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2023, 01:59 AM   #78
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Walking in with a Louisville Slugger might work too.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2023, 03:08 AM   #79
waxy88
"TRF" Member

OH…MY…GOSH!!!

How many times with the same bloody thing??!!
Seriously, if you have spent any time on this forum you would know the answer to your question many, many, many times over!
No…a poxy BB58 will not expedite you getting a Sub.
waxy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2023, 03:31 AM   #80
puma1552
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amh View Post
Buying non-Rolex items from AD also fuels the insanity. You're signaling to the AD that the entry-level SS model you requested is still worth 30% more than MSRP. They'll remain motivated to keep it in the safe until you've spent the required margin on marked-up jewelry and slow-moving watch brands.

It's a simple decision tree:
1) Are you patient? Then just remain persistent with the AD and wait until they break. Don't buy jewelry other items you don't want.
2) 'Need' that watch sooner? Get the best Grey deal you can find. Price erosion continues and many models are at MSRP already.
Agreed. None of us should be purchasing anything we don't want just for the hope of getting what we do. It would be bad enough to be purchasing something we don't want if the one we did want was guaranteed but it's even worse than that since we still might never get what you want. Personally the only time I would go gray is if my dial/model was discontinued and no longer available, or I was trying to get something that just isn't going to happen from an AD, but I acknowledge it's hard to determine how long you wait it out. The longer you wait out the AD, the closer you must be getting - if you're getting close at all - but the more you play with fire for Rolex to discontinue/update the model you want such that the exact version you want is no longer available. But in any case, I'd never buy junk I don't want...especially at these prices. I'd probably say if a watch doesn't come through from an AD in 18 months, it never will. I'd even say 12 months is pushing it, depending on the model.

I could also go on about environmental consumerism/consumption as it pertains to buying junk we don't need, but I'd be a bit of a hypocrite considering I'm also here to buy Rolexes that none of us need, period.

OP - are you really limited to one AD? I got my name on the list at every AD in town...whoever wants the sale first simply needs to procure the watch first - protect your own best interests OP and get your name on every AD's list in town. Don't put your eggs in one basket with this AD just because you bought a ring there prior. I understand you'd like to consolidate purchase history with one AD to get potentially preferential treatment in the future, but right now focus on the short term goal of getting the watch you want from whatever AD can supply it...then figure out future purchases when the time comes. If you could just buy any watch at any time from this AD, sure, but given the market you need to blast every AD in town to get you that watch and go with wherever the watch pops up. And by "pops up" I really mean "taken out of the safe for you".
puma1552 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2023, 03:36 AM   #81
mulberry083
"TRF" Member

I purchased the BB GMT and got a Sub, but I wanted that GMT.

Your $13k engagement ring should have been enough to get a Sub by now.

mulberry083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2023, 04:13 AM   #82
Nads786
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
Agreed. None of us should be purchasing anything we don't want just for the hope of getting what we do. It would be bad enough to be purchasing something we don't want if the one we did want was guaranteed but it's even worse than that since we still might never get what you want. Personally the only time I would go gray is if my dial/model was discontinued and no longer available, or I was trying to get something that just isn't going to happen from an AD, but I acknowledge it's hard to determine how long you wait it out. The longer you wait out the AD, the closer you must be getting - if you're getting close at all - but the more you play with fire for Rolex to discontinue/update the model you want such that the exact version you want is no longer available. But in any case, I'd never buy junk I don't want...especially at these prices. I'd probably say if a watch doesn't come through from an AD in 18 months, it never will. I'd even say 12 months is pushing it, depending on the model.

I could also go on about environmental consumerism/consumption as it pertains to buying junk we don't need, but I'd be a bit of a hypocrite considering I'm also here to buy Rolexes that none of us need, period.

OP - are you really limited to one AD? I got my name on the list at every AD in town...whoever wants the sale first simply needs to procure the watch first - protect your own best interests OP and get your name on every AD's list in town. Don't put your eggs in one basket with this AD just because you bought a ring there prior. I understand you'd like to consolidate purchase history with one AD to get potentially preferential treatment in the future, but right now focus on the short term goal of getting the watch you want from whatever AD can supply it...then figure out future purchases when the time comes. If you could just buy any watch at any time from this AD, sure, but given the market you need to blast every AD in town to get you that watch and go with wherever the watch pops up. And by "pops up" I really mean "taken out of the safe for you".
I've made contact with over 10 ADs across the US and 5 in my local area. I'm definitely spreading out my efforts.

The engagement ring AD I think has the highest shot of success, followed by one other local AD and finally a Las Vegas AD said they may be able to get me a Sub Date before October and to reach out the next time I'm in town for business.

The rest of the ADs brushed me off with "all the allocation is spoken for the next 1-2 years," or "speak to your local AD to get this watch."
Old 7 July 2023, 04:22 AM   #83
Topspin14m
"TRF" Member

Buy a Tudor to get a Sub faster

Quote:
I've made contact with over 10 ADs across the US and 5 in my local area. I'm definitely spreading out my efforts.

The engagement ring AD I think has the highest shot of success, followed by one other local AD and finally a Las Vegas AD said they may be able to get me a Sub Date before October and to reach out the next time I'm in town for business.

The rest of the ADs brushed me off with "all the allocation is spoken for the next 1-2 years," or "speak to your local AD to get this watch."

ADs do use Rolexes to get customers who will buy other stuff. They may not engage in quid pro quo behavior, but it’s a fact that they want to use Rolex allocations to reward good customers. That’s why a non-local AD is not going to help you unless you walk in with a large bag of cash.

A sub date is a very common watch. Any AD could very quickly source one for you-in fact, I think most all ADs would discover one within 24 hours if you walked in and spent $100k. So the truth is that if you’ve been waiting that many months, it’s because they see you as low on the list of people to reward. You can wait, spend more money to push yourself up the list, or buy gray. Alternatively, you can bring friends to buy stuff there, which will help your status. It’s that simple. There are stories of people walking into ADs and getting random sports steel watches but that’s like winning the lottery. Very low odds. Every incentive the AD has is to not do that.

Topspin14m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2023, 04:57 AM   #84
Nads786
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspin14m View Post
ADs do use Rolexes to get customers who will buy other stuff. They may not engage in quid pro quo behavior, but it’s a fact that they want to use Rolex allocations to reward good customers. That’s why a non-local AD is not going to help you unless you walk in with a large bag of cash.

A sub date is a very common watch. Any AD could very quickly source one for you-in fact, I think most all ADs would discover one within 24 hours if you walked in and spent $100k. So the truth is that if you’ve been waiting that many months, it’s because they see you as low on the list of people to reward. You can wait, spend more money to push yourself up the list, or buy gray. Alternatively, you can bring friends to buy stuff there, which will help your status. It’s that simple. There are stories of people walking into ADs and getting random sports steel watches but that’s like winning the lottery. Very low odds. Every incentive the AD has is to not do that.

I agree with your assessment, the main AD I'm working with probably thinks my lifetime customer value is low since I haven't bought anything from him since 2019.

I did dangle a future five year wedding jewelry purchase in 2024 when we first spoke but it's exactly like buying the Tudor, giving me something for a hope of getting something in the future.
Old 7 July 2023, 05:09 AM   #85
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
I agree with your assessment, the main AD I'm working with probably thinks my lifetime customer value is low since I haven't bought anything from him since 2019.

I did dangle a future five year wedding jewelry purchase in 2024 when we first spoke but it's exactly like buying the Tudor, giving me something for a hope of getting something in the future.
"I hope my wife doesn't leave me for dropping $10k on a watch for my 40th. But if she does, I'm sure I'll get remarried and need a new ring."
Old 7 July 2023, 05:54 AM   #86
Nads786
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
"I hope my wife doesn't leave me for dropping $10k on a watch for my 40th. But if she does, I'm sure I'll get remarried and need a new ring."
My Wife believes in Newton's Third Law: Each watch purchased has an equal and opposite purse purchase, so really I'll be spending $20K for the watch.
Old 7 July 2023, 05:55 AM   #87
Topspin14m
"TRF" Member

Quote:

If you are buying a birthday or holiday present for your wife, maybe buy something there. It doesn’t have to be expensive-even just showing you are a regular customer helps.

Topspin14m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2023, 06:00 AM   #88
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
My Wife believes in Newton's Third Law: Each watch purchased has an equal and opposite purse purchase, so really I'll be spending $20K for the watch.
I shall anoint her groundbreaking academic theory: "Newbag's Law"
Old 13 July 2023, 12:39 PM   #89
Nads786
"TRF" Member

Update - I decided to get a used BB 58 and wait out my AD for the Sub. Thanks everyone for their suggestions and thoughts.
Old 13 July 2023, 12:50 PM   #90
ingoodtime
"TRF" Member

a relative was reccomended by an active watch buyer friend to his AD. He had to fly out of state, got there and bought a 5k USD Brietling he really didnt want to start a relationship with the AD. He has not recd one call.He wants a batgirl but funny enlough is not willing to buy gray mkt. it probably would have been a better idea to just pay gray mkt prices. Im not buying what I dont want just to "get in good" with an AD sales associate. You hear too many storied of, oh I just walked in and got it, whiel oters claim to be on the list for years and are still waiting.

Lee
ingoodtime is offline   Reply With Quote