The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 October 2011, 10:11 PM   #31
The Godzilla

I guess I need to let go of getting a 14060M

I fancied a Rolex since I was just a kid, even I'm just a kid, I always had a thing about watches, especially diver watches...

I bought myself a Seiko SKX007 when I started working...

I upgraded to a Tag when I get a promotion...

I worked very hard to earn a living and hoping to wear a Rolex...

I'm 31 years old already, I wanted to wear a Rolex for many years to come...

I don't want to wear it when I'm 40...

I think I should go and rob a bank
The Godzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2011, 10:16 PM   #32
mtasquared
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1989 Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Godzilla View Post
They only think that Rolex are for the super rich category.

They don't know how to treasure the fine craftsmanship of a Rolex.

Your passion is moving. I think you would make the perfect Rolex owner!

I would suggest buy a second hand one. It will be much cheaper. And you can always have it polished to like-new condition at an RSC later on.

As far as money, if later on you need to sell it, sell it on eBay, not a pawn shop, and you should get some of your money back.
mtasquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2011, 10:23 PM   #33
buffy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
I would say, if you cannot afford to lose money for a Rolex (or other luxury item), you should not buy it....
buffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2011, 12:20 AM   #34
impalass
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD / LV / Daytona
In your situation I would strongly consider a pre-loved 14060. Still a solid Sub with a minimal cash outlay and there's a good chance you could make your money back should the need arise.

Unless you need the four line COSC and modern lume, (tritium vs. luminova) I think this would put a smile on your face for a long time.

Truth be told I believe a lot of us buy more watch than we can afford, just my opinion.
impalass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2011, 12:23 AM   #35
humvee
Banned

After the Explorer, the 14060 has the worst resale value, so buy as low as you can.
It is anold fashioned watch and some people appreciate it and others don't. If you
want resale, then I suggest the 16610 because most people want date on their watches
and that's the reason the 14060m gets left behind.
humvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2011, 03:27 AM   #36
azguy
Banned

Watch: ---------
Do yourself a favor, buy the watch, buy it pre-owned, shop hard, negotiate hard and only pay for it with cash, no exceptions. I bet you can score a beauty with box and papers for $3,500 or so.

You won't regret it, we all sense your love of the brand. In the unlikely event that you need the cash down the road you won't hardly be hurt at all.
azguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2011, 04:06 AM   #37
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by humvee View Post
After the Explorer, the 14060 has the worst resale value, so buy as low as you can.
It is anold fashioned watch and some people appreciate it and others don't. If you
want resale, then I suggest the 16610 because most people want date on their watches
and that's the reason the 14060m gets left behind.
Is that a fact well you learn something new every day.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2011, 04:14 AM   #38
The Godzilla

USD 3,500 sounds achievable instead of 5,000
Old 30 October 2011, 04:25 AM   #39
ecsub44
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
Buy used. I got a U serial for $3200 USD in Feb. It's less expensive and has a higher probability of retaining it's value (you can probably sell in 2 years for the same or man than you bought it).

New will lose value as soon as you walk out of the store.

Good luck.
ecsub44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2011, 04:44 AM   #40
The Godzilla

I just PM DavidSW, let's hope some miracle will happen
Old 30 October 2011, 04:58 AM   #41
PhilK
"TRF" Member

I would definitely try and pick one of these up used. Supply is quite high and new ones are expensive in comparison to a few years ago with the number of price increases that Rolex have put through.
PhilK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2011, 10:35 PM   #42
jhcam8
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub C
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwwilliams View Post
Can I make a recommendation?

Although I'm sure people here can quote you an accurate price, this is often not achievable immediately - It can take months to sell it privately at market value. If you find yourself in need of cash quickly, you will likely have to take it to a pawn broker - In which case all estimations of its value go out the window.
People in those lines of work become very good at gauging your desperation for cash.
There's plenty of dealers who will give you cash and you'd probably do a little better than a pawn shop.

BUT - if anyone here can accurately predict the future, please give me some tips - I'm tired of buying high and selling low.
jhcam8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2011, 05:01 PM   #43
adr
"TRF" Member

I agree with TG.. I will consider many factors before buying/selling something...
My main interest is to gain capital return.

2008 new 14060M COSC = USD 4k, knowing 50/50 it's gonna be discontinue. It's a risk but if I don't call the shot, I will regret big time, what if it's discontinued & value sky rocket ...
That time I was deciding between 16610 (T-25) vs. 14060M COSC (1st thread) I decided to take the chance (worth the risk) (if financial problems, sell it & get 3k) I am willing to bet 1k for it's fate in 2012. Soon after the purchase, I wanted another pre-love unit, tried looking around but unsuccessful, meantime I invest the money into gold.

Brand new unit cost USD6k+, the earned investment now allow me to buy it or wait few years for a daytona ss. If the 14060M cosc sky rocket after Basel 2012 ... I might trade it for 2 rolex explorer 36mm for my kids. Dare to dream.. Basel 2012 bring it on. I am ready.
adr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2011, 07:10 PM   #44
sherwin
"TRF" Member

watches of any brands are not investment vehicles and should not be viewed as such. why? because if everyone could make money buying rolex's, what use will bonds, debentures, shares, forex, etc etc be?

like all luxury goods, it is just that. luxury. it should be bought when you have the spare money not when you are trying to juggle your job, car payments, house payments, etc.

trust me, ive been there. my first paycheque was poured into my first datejust, however when the crap hits the fan it was the first to go; other priorities came first such as ensuring i had cash for my side business and what not.

one of the few options you have in regards to depreciation is buying preowned, after a few years, you may be lucky to get your money back minus interest.
Old 1 November 2011, 07:14 PM   #45
Happytime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub(green)
High end watches are art work that you get to wear. Buy it because it make you happy seeing it on your wrist or watch box.
Happytime is offline   Reply With Quote