The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 9 May 2022, 12:01 AM   #31
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by apinault View Post
Hey gang and happy Mother’s Day to everyone out there!
Interesting, I think, people are saying prices are dropping on the grey market. David S W sure isn’t. I’ve been monitoring a few DJ41s and the price haven’t budged. Maybe just on chrono they’re dropping? Anyway DSW seems to be a pretty reputable seller maybe that’s why.
Have a great Sunday!
Welcome to the now nothing but Rolex prices forum.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 9 May 2022, 12:02 AM   #32
5thLegion
"TRF" Member

I am in the same boat … I plan to hold out as long as I can.
Old 9 May 2022, 12:17 AM   #33
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRell View Post
I just watch this video yesterday about prices. They are indeed dropping. You are looking at just list prices.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fTclY3M1vRk
Thanks, that video is a good analysis
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
Old 9 May 2022, 12:20 AM   #34
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by inadeje View Post
You are welcome! I very much enjoyed seeing actual data regarding this topic since there is so much speculation.
Old 9 May 2022, 12:23 AM   #35
rmwill
2024 Pledge Member

Watch charts analysis. LOL. He has no data either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inadeje View Post
Rolex Explorer II 226570 Polar
Omega Moonwatch Sapphire Sandwich
Panerai PAM00111

2 Factor Authentication
Old 9 May 2022, 12:28 AM   #36
Tim Plains
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingPlaces View Post
Personally I just want to be able to walk into an AD, ask what is available and walk out with a watch.
I think we all want that but I doubt it will drop to that point, at least with stainless GMTs, Daytonas and the like.
Old 9 May 2022, 12:35 AM   #37
Njkdog
Banned

Watch: Speedy reduced
I think most people use the word gray incorrectly, I might also, but I don’t see any of those companies as gray dealers. In my mind at least, gray means they buy directly from the dealership, I could be wrong, I don’t think gray dealer is in the dictionary to look up lol.
But I think DSW from what I can tell just resells used watches? If it’s a big reseller, I think a lot of people call them gray. A few big resellers have started dropping prices, Bob’s Watches I saw an aluminum permit for under 20 K, same with the watch box. On Chrono24 you can see if they are a professional dealer
Old 9 May 2022, 01:11 AM   #38
BroncoOne
"TRF" Member

It all depends on demand. The supply stays the same every year.

People with lots of liquid assets and little to no debt aren’t as affected by the current economic environment as everyone else is. As long as more of then want a new Rolex reference than there are new Rolex of that reference, prices may fluctuate a bit but will generally hold at a high range.

References that aren’t as desired may come down and become available so that’s good news.
Old 9 May 2022, 01:16 AM   #39
JTL31
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

On a different note, thanks for the Mother’s Day greeting.
Old 9 May 2022, 01:18 AM   #40
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Agree.
Old 9 May 2022, 01:58 AM   #41
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by apinault View Post
I know! Honestly hate to do it, wish I were more patient. Lol never been my strong suit.
Don't be too hard on yourself. I am having the same conversation with me, myself and I. Me, says David has outstanding stock and a rep to match. Myself says, be patient and wait for the call. I says if the prices go down, I am willing to pay a reasonable premium to get it now.
Old 9 May 2022, 02:00 AM   #42
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
I know. But to be honest, it has been trending this way for a long time. Personally, I have more interest in accessibility discussions than investment discussions.
Old 9 May 2022, 02:11 AM   #43
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
So true. It seems like values, rising prices and prices dropping are all people care about these days. Weird!!
Old 9 May 2022, 02:27 AM   #44
GaoKS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blargle View Post
my portfolio is down about 100 rolexes.... so im not celebrating believe me
Damn baller
Old 9 May 2022, 03:02 AM   #45
sneakertinker
"TRF" Member

Demand is lowering simply because of most peoples current economic positions…

Does it rebound or does it continue to lower? Who knows…I’ll say the hype is gone once people can walk into an AD and buy a SS Sports Model out of the case at a discount equal to whatever the taxes are…Until then it’s really all speculation isn’t it?
Old 9 May 2022, 03:20 AM   #46
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
One of our esteemed members listed a year old nos blro for 35k lol seems the market is red hot where he lives (on the moon).
Old 9 May 2022, 03:54 AM   #47
blueface101
"TRF" Member

Looks like some or the trusted sellers have started dropping prices on their sites. Ocwatchguy has a panda on his site for $45kish while davidsws panda is almost $53k. Chrono24 has tgem cheaper then both although i would never buy a watch off there.
Old 9 May 2022, 04:07 AM   #48
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...light=116500ln

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 9 May 2022, 04:08 AM   #49
orthopa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoOne View Post
It all depends on demand. The supply stays the same every year.

People with lots of liquid assets and little to no debt aren’t as affected by the current economic environment as everyone else is. As long as more of then want a new Rolex reference than there are new Rolex of that reference, prices may fluctuate a bit but will generally hold at a high range.

References that aren’t as desired may come down and become available so that’s good news.
And demand will be curtailed due to rising interest rates, just as it was on the other side going up. It will having nothing to do with who actually wants the watches. Did anyone want the watches or to flip them? Do you really think demand just dropped out of nowhere in the last couple of weeks and its coincidence interest rates have shot right up? Your seeing monetary policy at work. The delta in interest rates changes are quickest at the top and the bottom. Interest rates are like gravity on prices. Throw in high commodity prices and demand drops quickly.

The price for mortgage, car loan, frankly any loan has gotten very expensive very quickly relative to months ago. Dropping stock market decreases the wealth effect.

For any marginal buyer of anything anywhere has become out of reach. Especially an all steel watch that was flipped for 100% profit. The demand will drop will quick once the profit is gone and there is no greater fool willing to pay more then "they" did.

Notice the amount of "hard to get" references coming out of the woodwork in the for sale section....aaaannnddd the dropping price posts underneath.
Old 9 May 2022, 04:26 AM   #50
fistwatches
Banned

Interest rates are going up sharply, the money supply is contracting. Prices for all assets are going to contract. Some faster then others but luxury items are likely the first to drop.

House prices, stocks, bond prices, used car prices, luxury items all will drop in price. Just give it time. The greys maybe trying to seek out a couple grand more but the price drop with come. The money supply is contracting and quickly.
Old 9 May 2022, 04:35 AM   #51
Goin2drt
Banned

No they are not dropping, plain and simple.
https://davidsw.com/shop/watch/rolex...hite-dial-138/
Old 9 May 2022, 04:42 AM   #52
7enderbender
"TRF" Member

I don’t see why things would be dropping at this point. Demand apparently is still high and there is still stupid money floating around. With inflation, labor shortages and supply issues and attempts at “correction” it may only get worse.
It’ll only get interesting once the housing market in Western countries goes to hell. At that point a lot of the stupid money will vanish.
Old 9 May 2022, 04:43 AM   #53
HMHM
"TRF" Member

I don't know... Personally these secondary dealers are quite hypocritical to me. On one hand they are trying to shore up confidence in the market by saying 'Oh its not crashing, its merely a correction due to the insane rise in prices' over the last few months, and that once things stabilise it will go up again. On the other hand, they are not too keen to acquire new stocks or giving ridiculously lowball offers so that customers themselves will not want to sell.

If they are so confident that this is merely a dip/correction, why not put their money where their mouth is and buy now? I thought buying the dip is a smart move? Once it goes up again that will make them look really smart!

So why the hesitancy is buying new stocks for themselves to resell?
Old 9 May 2022, 04:55 AM   #54
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Prices not dropping?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
I don't know... Personally these secondary dealers are quite hypocritical to me. On one hand they are trying to shore up confidence in the market by saying 'Oh its not crashing, its merely a correction due to the insane rise in prices' over the last few months, and that once things stabilise it will go up again. On the other hand, they are not too keen to acquire new stocks or giving ridiculously lowball offers so that customers themselves will not want to sell.

If they are so confident that this is merely a dip/correction, why not put their money where their mouth is and buy now? I thought buying the dip is a smart move? Once it goes up again that will make them look really smart!

Pretty sure the established successful ones don’t mix emotions into their business plan.

The ones that do aren’t going to survive business long and may want to try YouTubing instead.
Old 9 May 2022, 04:55 AM   #55
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Old 9 May 2022, 04:58 AM   #56
johnwigan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post

They are not buying because they can see prices are falling, and likely to continue falling. They are not going to say that of course because their sales rely on the idea that prices are going up and up. Who you would pay £40k for an £8k watch if they though the would lose £32k on the deal and be left with a watch worth £8k? The whole bubble is based on that '£40k' watch will be worth £50k in a few months, hurry hurry buy buy now before it's too late. But for the flippers, grey dealers, wannebe dealers and ADs, all good things come to an end.
Old 9 May 2022, 05:00 AM   #57
rolex16
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin2drt View Post
No they are not dropping, plain and simple.
https://davidsw.com/shop/watch/rolex...hite-dial-138/
Nice try with the cherry picking, now venture further and see what's really going on.
Old 9 May 2022, 05:03 AM   #58
rolex16
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post
Pretty sure the established successful ones don’t mix emotions into their business plan.

The ones that do aren’t going to survive business long and may want to try YouTubing instead.
He makes a good point with no mention of emotion. If buying the dip is so smart, why aren't they? Or maybe they just want us to so they can keep selling and keep propping up the falling market. It is obvious to anyone looking what is going on.
Old 9 May 2022, 05:05 AM   #59
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njkdog View Post
I think most people use the word gray incorrectly, I might also, but I don’t see any of those companies as gray dealers. In my mind at least, gray means they buy directly from the dealership, I could be wrong, I don’t think gray dealer is in the dictionary to look up lol.
But I think DSW from what I can tell just resells used watches? If it’s a big reseller, I think a lot of people call them gray. A few big resellers have started dropping prices, Bob’s Watches I saw an aluminum permit for under 20 K, same with the watch box. On Chrono24 you can see if they are a professional dealer
You are correct, there is no "gray" market for Rolex watches as they are all originally sold by ADs. These posters, using the term gray, are simply referring to the pre-owned watch market. Gray market used to mean, new products which were in oversupply or overstock, so the manufacturer or distributor would sell in bulk to a parallel non authorized market typically without papers or warranties. Should a Rolex AD sell directly to a used watch dealer that is still within the authorized sales network and therefore not a gray market.
Old 9 May 2022, 05:07 AM   #60
SlideRacker
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post

That’s a tough gig. Unless you think you can get a million subscribers.
Closed Thread