The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 March 2020, 12:00 AM   #1
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
The Modern Tudor Bracelet

It might sound odd coming from the Commander in Chief of the Nylon Nation to sing the praises of the modern Tudor bracelet. But the arrival of my BB GMT last year and quick acquisition of the Rivet bracelet as well as my recent Pelagos purchase has me rethinking my Tudor strap options.

The THC
In 2011 I bought the [2010] newly released Tudor Heritage Chronograph. Loved it from the start but quickly decided the flat case back and "Big Block" styled case looked best on straps of various descriptions. But my latest Tudor purchases have my THC sporting the OEM bracelet once again. This modern interpretation of the classic Oyster bracelet has solid link construction, larger 22mm w/ 18mm taper to work with the larger cases, and flip lock clasp utilizing ceramic spring loaded balls.

The Rivet
Originally I thought I preferred the non Rivet for my BB GMT, and in fact, I bought one and it turned out to be a fake. Quickly found an authentic Rivet and could not be happier. This bracelet has a distinct vintage character, with the stair step taper & proportionally sized center links. While I would have preferred real rivets the faux treatment doesn't bother me at all and in fact, they are hard to see when worn and become a non factor. The same quality clasp as found on the THC. This is a perfect match for the GMT.

The Pelagos
My latest purchase has me diving [pun intended] into titanium. When I first test drove a Pelagos while in Switzerland to attend BaselWorld 2013, shortly after the release of this new Tudor flagship diver, I was put off by the light weight. Not anymore! The lack of heft makes the Pelagos disappear on the wrist. Besides the use of titanium, the standout on this bracelet is the technologically advanced and highly engineered clasp. You have to experience it to fully grasp this amazing design.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kYSIi3jGYc

While these bracelets are not perfect, like more adjustments [on the fly] from the clasps, similar to the Pelagos would be welcomed, these modern classic bracelets are the perfect match for the path Tudor has boldly decided to explore.
dP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1150165.JPG (268.5 KB, 805 views)
File Type: jpg TRF bracelet.JPG (223.9 KB, 797 views)
File Type: jpg P1150100.JPG (291.6 KB, 800 views)
File Type: jpg thumb_P1290245_1024.jpg (243.2 KB, 796 views)
File Type: jpg thumb_P1290302_1024.jpg (157.9 KB, 789 views)
File Type: jpg thumb_P1290246_1024.jpg (232.3 KB, 794 views)
File Type: jpg thumb_P1290375_1024.jpg (204.0 KB, 790 views)
File Type: jpg thumb_P1290376_1024.jpg (192.3 KB, 780 views)
File Type: jpg thumb_P1290374_1024.jpg (217.4 KB, 789 views)
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2020, 12:03 AM   #2
Jona
Banned

Watch: 116618LN
Agreed. I like the bracelets. But those Tudors do quite well on straps too as you note!
Jona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2020, 12:04 AM   #3
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Just my two cents but the rivet bracelet on a modern watch is brilliant and extremely unique!!
Old 29 March 2020, 12:08 AM   #4
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jona View Post
Agreed. I like the bracelets. But those Tudors do quite well on straps too as you note!
Oh yeah, we love to keep our options open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk View Post
Just my two cents but the rivet bracelet on a modern watch is brilliant and extremely unique!!
Agreed, Gary! I did read one review where it was suggested Tudor should have used real rivets w/ expandable spring loaded links. Not sure it would have been necessary on all links but having the option to use spring loaded removable links would have been a nice touch.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Old 29 March 2020, 12:43 AM   #5
SPMN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Omega
The Pelagos clasp is absolutely amazing. That, combined with the titanium material makes the watch absolutely disappear on the wrist, which is incredible for such a large and robust watch. I’ve tried that and the GMT on nato straps and to me they both feel more comfortable and composed with bracelet.

It’s incredible and I feel that Tudor should introduce the adjustable clasp (maybe minus the spring section) for all their sport watches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SPMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2020, 12:49 AM   #6
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPMN View Post
The Pelagos clasp is absolutely amazing. That, combined with the titanium material makes the watch absolutely disappear on the wrist, which is incredible for such a large and robust watch. I’ve tried that and the GMT on nato straps and to me they both feel more comfortable and composed with bracelet.

It’s incredible and I feel that Tudor should introduce the adjustable clasp (maybe minus the spring section) for all their sport watches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My Pelagos clasp is set at the 3rd largest adjustment but occasionally when my wrist will swell in very hot temps I'll move it to the spring loaded section and love the comfort that provides. Think I'd prefer that on all the clasps.

While I've not had any issue w/ fit the bottom line is adjustments on the fly are a welcome advantage.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Old 29 March 2020, 01:22 AM   #7
GBD
"TRF" Member

I absolutely loved the Pelagos bracelet, including the clasp. I actually preferred the Pelagos clasp to my 114060 glidelock.

However, I had fitment issues with my BB steel. The rivet bracelet was very well made, but Tudor not having a half-link for BB bracelets is really, really perplexing. For a company that generally pays attention to detail it's a major oversight, imo. I've read countless posts about people unable to get a proper fit. I sold mine as a result.
GBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2020, 01:28 AM   #8
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBD View Post
I absolutely loved the Pelagos bracelet, including the clasp. I actually preferred the Pelagos clasp to my 114060 glidelock.

However, I had fitment issues with my BB steel. The rivet bracelet was very well made, but Tudor not having a half-link for BB bracelets is really, really perplexing. For a company that generally pays attention to detail it's a major oversight, imo. I've read countless posts about people unable to get a proper fit. I sold mine as a result.
Agreed and should have mentioned that in the OP. Either half links or different size clasp connection links, at the very least. The clasp connection link in my BB GMT is twice the size of the one used on my THC. The problem is they are not interchangeable due to the difference in center link size.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Old 29 March 2020, 03:13 AM   #9
rfknauss
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 5513 Sub, LV Sub
Dan, I love that blue Pelagos. And superb photos!

"Few things in life give man as great a pleasure as wearing a Rolex!"

TRF's "AFTER DARK" Bar & NightClub Patron
rfknauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2020, 03:30 AM   #10
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Nice Dan!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.480.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2020, 03:46 AM   #11
Phooi
"TRF" Member

Have you tried the Pelagos clasp on the GMT?

Also, I agree with you on about the riveted bracelet on the BB GMT. I feel it adds to the modern vintage charm of the watch. Makes me feel that it is the spiritual successor to the 5-digit Pepsi.
Phooi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2020, 04:14 AM   #12
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfknauss View Post
Dan, I love that blue Pelagos. And superb photos!
Thanks, Richard! Great to hear from you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fskywalker View Post
Nice Dan!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thanks, Francisco!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phooi View Post
Have you tried the Pelagos clasp on the GMT?

Also, I agree with you on about the riveted bracelet on the BB GMT. I feel it adds to the modern vintage charm of the watch. Makes me feel that it is the spiritual successor to the 5-digit Pepsi.
Oh boy, you shouldn't have suggested that. Might have to investigate that possibility.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Old 29 March 2020, 04:20 AM   #13
Phooi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
Oh boy, you shouldn't have suggested that. Might have to investigate that possibility.
dP
Please do! That’s really the only dig about the BB GMT bracelet. I wish it had more adjustments. I found a position that works but would have like a little more range.
Old 29 March 2020, 05:08 AM   #14
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
The Modern Tudor Bracelet

Tudor bracelets are amazing and are very well constructed, considering their price point. The greatest gripe I have is only with the Tudor Black Bay line of bracelets and the lack of adjustment options. I don’t own the THC (yet) but I imagine the same lack of adjustment applies.

However, I have worn the Tudor Pelagos (ETA) while diving and own the North Flag. The Tudor Pelagos bracelet is ridiculously comfortable and the adjustment system is nothing short of fantastic. Meanwhile, the North Flag still retains the meager 3 point adjustment of the black bay line but has the advantage of a half link which makes all the difference.

kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2020, 08:21 AM   #15
Amochosto
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
I’m fortunate that both my Tudor BB S&G and my Heritage Chronograph bracelets fit close to perfect, and I like the look on the bracelet, but I would like at least an easy-link type adjustment. I find the absence of any adjustment is a minor annoyance in these watches.

Stupidity is doomed, therefore, to cringe at every syllable of wisdom

Heraclitus of Ephesus
Amochosto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2020, 09:17 AM   #16
nighthawk77
2024 Pledge Member

I recently picked up the steel bracelet after buying my GMT on the leather. Very impressed with the build quality, overall finish and how solid it feels. The rivets suit well and don't bother me.

I do think that the lack of on the go adjustment is a disappointment however. I may have been a little spoiled with the Easylink on my Exp1 plus an extending clasp on my Omega SMPc. I think at this price point, it would round the watch off into a complete package.

The Tudor bracelet is generally comfortable, but after a day on the wrist, it does feel a little tight. I think that if I were to go on vacation somewhere warm, or even if the weather gets a little warmer at home, the Tudor will not get worn with me opting for something with better comfort...
nighthawk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2020, 10:05 AM   #17
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
Options. YES!!!!!!
Old 29 March 2020, 10:31 AM   #18
Mick006
"TRF" Member

I just wish the bracelets tapered more. My only complaint.
Mick006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2020, 02:54 PM   #19
Wooster
2024 Pledge Member

I agree. The bracelet on my THC is finished superbly. It is by far my favorite.
Wooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2020, 11:16 PM   #20
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Please do! That’s really the only dig about the BB GMT bracelet. I wish it had more adjustments. I found a position that works but would have like a little more range.
Finding a Pelagos clasp will be a challange.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post
Tudor bracelets are amazing and are very well constructed, considering their price point. The greatest gripe I have is only with the Tudor Black Bay line of bracelets and the lack of adjustment options. I don’t own the THC (yet) but I imagine the same lack of adjustment applies.

However, I have worn the Tudor Pelagos (ETA) while diving and own the North Flag. The Tudor Pelagos bracelet is ridiculously comfortable and the adjustment system is nothing short of fantastic. Meanwhile, the North Flag still retains the meager 3 point adjustment of the black bay line but has the advantage of a half link which makes all the difference.

Nick, if Tudor can make a self link for the NF, they should be able to make them for every bracelet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amochosto View Post
I’m fortunate that both my Tudor BB S&G and my Heritage Chronograph bracelets fit close to perfect, and I like the look on the bracelet, but I would like at least an easy-link type adjustment. I find the absence of any adjustment is a minor annoyance in these watches.
Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk77 View Post
I recently picked up the steel bracelet after buying my GMT on the leather. Very impressed with the build quality, overall finish and how solid it feels. The rivets suit well and don't bother me.

I do think that the lack of on the go adjustment is a disappointment however. I may have been a little spoiled with the Easylink on my Exp1 plus an extending clasp on my Omega SMPc. I think at this price point, it would round the watch off into a complete package.

The Tudor bracelet is generally comfortable, but after a day on the wrist, it does feel a little tight. I think that if I were to go on vacation somewhere warm, or even if the weather gets a little warmer at home, the Tudor will not get worn with me opting for something with better comfort...
Good points!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
Options. YES!!!!!!
Always.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick006 View Post
I just wish the bracelets tapered more. My only complaint.
The 4mm taper from watch to clasp is the sweet spot for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
I agree. The bracelet on my THC is finished superbly. It is by far my favorite.
Learning to love mine all over again!
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Old 29 March 2020, 11:55 PM   #21
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
I agree with your assessment, Dan. Well said.

The Tudor bracelet is very comfy, solid, and well-engineered. I love how the width of it kind of just wraps around your wrist. Personally, I can either take or leave the rivets, so it's a non-issue for me.

The lack of micro adjustment on such a well thought out and designed bracelet is kind of mystifying, but, hey, they still wear great. Better than the 5 digit Rolexes I had back in the day. IMO, of course.
watchwatcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2020, 12:16 AM   #22
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
I agree with your assessment, Dan. Well said.

The Tudor bracelet is very comfy, solid, and well-engineered. I love how the width of it kind of just wraps around your wrist. Personally, I can either take or leave the rivets, so it's a non-issue for me.

The lack of micro adjustment on such a well thought out and designed bracelet is kind of mystifying, but, hey, they still wear great. Better than the 5 digit Rolexes I had back in the day. IMO, of course.
Agree on all points, Larry!
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Old 30 March 2020, 12:19 AM   #23
Greg5512
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Big Block
Dan as always excellent and insightful. You open-mindedness is always refreshing!
Greg5512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2020, 12:26 AM   #24
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg5512 View Post
Dan as always excellent and insightful. You open-mindedness is always refreshing!
Thanks for the kind words, Greg! Although my wife might have issues with your description.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Old 30 March 2020, 12:31 AM   #25
drockadam
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi.
Great write up!

Love the BB GMT, I have my eye on them but I really want a 16710 Pepsi. The insanity of going back and forth between thinking should I just buy the BB GMT, or just save and get the 16710 Pepsi haha!
Old 30 March 2020, 03:50 AM   #26
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drockadam View Post
Great write up!

Love the BB GMT, I have my eye on them but I really want a 16710 Pepsi. The insanity of going back and forth between thinking should I just buy the BB GMT, or just save and get the 16710 Pepsi haha!
Adam,

I'm lucky enough to own both. There's only been one time in the past year I chose to wear the 16710 over the BB GMT. There's room in a collection for both as they compliment each other while at the same time contrast with each other. After lots of wrist time w/ both the 16710 seems to be more the special occasion watch, but not always. The BB GMT certainly wears larger and the 22mm bracelet adds to that larger presence. Both fit my 6'4" frame perfectly. I do prefer the larger case/ bracelet of the BB GMT, the 16710 feeling more vintage nostalgia.

My wife always gets them mixed up and sometimes, for a brief second, so do I.
dP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TRF.JPG (233.7 KB, 319 views)
File Type: jpg thumb_P1290312_1024.jpg (264.9 KB, 323 views)
The Crown & Shield Club
Old 30 March 2020, 05:40 AM   #27
Phooi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Adam,

I'm lucky enough to own both. There's only been one time in the past year I chose to wear the 16710 over the BB GMT. There's room in a collection for both as they compliment each other while at the same time contrast with each other. After lots of wrist time w/ both the 16710 seems to be more the special occasion watch, but not always. The BB GMT certainly wears larger and the 22mm bracelet adds to that larger presence. Both fit my 6'4" frame perfectly. I do prefer the larger case/ bracelet of the BB GMT, the 16710 feeling more vintage nostalgia.

dP
That 16710 is super clean! Is that a SEL bracelet too?
Old 30 March 2020, 06:03 AM   #28
drockadam
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi.
Quote:
Adam,

dP
Thanks for your input my friend. They're both incredible watches! I'm always hunting for a 16710, hoping the prices come down a bit though. I've always been a fan of the classic 40mm Pre-Ceramic GMTs. Love the size and how it looks on my wrist. I've never had a BB GMT on my wrist, and they're hard to find in stores. I'd definitely buy one pre-owned. I was watching a BB GMT review the other day, and the reviewer had an SKX009 Pepsi next to it for size comparison. Great comparison because the 009 is my daily wearer, I love it!

My hunt continues and I stay patient
Old 30 March 2020, 07:26 AM   #29
nyyankees
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1216610
How do you feel about the Pelagos rubber strap Dan?
nyyankees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2020, 08:27 AM   #30
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
That 16710 is super clean! Is that a SEL bracelet too?
Yes, it's a K series, one of 3 years the GMT had both SELs and lug holes. The best of both worlds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drockadam View Post
Thanks for your input my friend. They're both incredible watches! I'm always hunting for a 16710, hoping the prices come down a bit though. I've always been a fan of the classic 40mm Pre-Ceramic GMTs. Love the size and how it looks on my wrist. I've never had a BB GMT on my wrist, and they're hard to find in stores. I'd definitely buy one pre-owned. I was watching a BB GMT review the other day, and the reviewer had an SKX009 Pepsi next to it for size comparison. Great comparison because the 009 is my daily wearer, I love it!

My hunt continues and I stay patient
Sound plan. After the meteoric size in value the last couple years who knows what the future holds. Good Luck! If the skx009 fits you, the BB GMT will as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyyankees View Post
How do you feel about the Pelagos rubber strap Dan?
Love it. Tried it for a day but think it will work best in summer as the rubber can get hung up on long sleeves. But for summertime it's a great option and I look forward to it.
dP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumb_P1290414_1024.jpg (280.2 KB, 272 views)
The Crown & Shield Club