The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 August 2012, 03:18 PM   #1
Dennis Quek
"TRF" Member

Embarrassing to bring a 10x loupe?

I am planning to buy my second rolex, a dssd. I had a dust speck on my previous purchase, so I am bringing along a 10x loupe this time to inspect the dial personally before buying.

I'm afraid that the AD will look down on me. But I really do not want to be a victim again, so now in dilemma. Pls advise..
Dennis Quek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2012, 03:24 PM   #2
Time2time
Banned

Watch: Milgauss GV, Sub-C
No problem with that. I would too if I had a previous problem.
I'm sure that AD will understand when you explain to him.

Time2time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2012, 03:24 PM   #3
Silvio Mosiello
"TRF" Member

Watch: the shoes.
Why would you feel embarrassed? Its a big decision! Sure they may think you are crazy but who cares! If they frown on you for doing what makes you feel comfortable to make a purchase than take your business elsewhere!
Silvio Mosiello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2012, 03:30 PM   #4
U5512
"TRF" Member

I always have a 15x loupe with me when buying watches.
It is a known issue that all of the SubC and GMTIIC's movement have reliability issues. Something to do with a spring that was introduced. I expect this to further increase the value of older Submariners and GMTIIs.
Heck why can't I start my own internet rumor and raise the prices of MY WATCHES!!!!
U5512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2012, 03:30 PM   #5
HRV
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEX
No problem
HRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2012, 03:43 PM   #6
BOA
"TRF" Member

Watch: Meteorite DD
Victim of a dust speck?

Sounds a bit like hyperbole to me.
BOA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2012, 03:57 PM   #7
elevensheep
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvio Mosiello View Post
Why would you feel embarrassed? Its a big decision! Sure they may think you are crazy but who cares! If they frown on you for doing what makes you feel comfortable to make a purchase than take your business elsewhere!
x2
elevensheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2012, 04:33 PM   #8
patek.wis
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Sky
You know guys - some people are 'afraid' to go to an AD 10 times to try on watches before making a decision. Some are scared of taking a loupe, or whatever you need to feel comfy, or inspecting the watch for 10 minutes.

It's a minimum of a 6k you are putting down for any model, and most of the times more than that.

This is probably due to AD's pressuring the sale or making you feel like its a burden you being there or taking their time up.

You're the customer, do whatever you want to make you feel comfortable. You have the buying power and at the end of the day, the guy or gal on the other side of the counter is going to be there no matter what, helping you or someone else. It's their job, let them do it and EARN the sale!

If they dont want your business, hell with them =)

Take your loupe and be proud
patek.wis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2012, 04:43 PM   #9
Silvio Mosiello
"TRF" Member

Watch: the shoes.
If my AD said anything about me bringing a loupe in and made me feel embarrassed I would tell her manager and say they lost a good customer. Do you not look closely at a new car before you buy it? Do you not check the foundation of a new house and make sure everything is top notch before you buy it? Sure a loupe is taking it somewhat far but you wont notice the tiniest flaw on a car or house boat etc but on a watch which all of us wis's who stare at the dial all day may very well notice a small flaw which takes away from the enjoyment of it. You should go ahead and smell the damn watch to make sure the watchmaker cleaned his hands who made it if that makes you comfortable! Your the customer you are always right now go put that loupe to work!
Silvio Mosiello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2012, 06:56 PM   #10
le_baroudeur
"TRF" Member

I would not. I would verify it at home, or in the car, after the purchase. Why? The risk is minimal, even if you have had a problem previously.
Very small dots can be considered as normal, it is just a watch, and surgical watches are myths.
Old 6 August 2012, 07:03 PM   #11
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Quek View Post
I am planning to buy my second rolex, a dssd. I had a dust speck on my previous purchase, so I am bringing along a 10x loupe this time to inspect the dial personally before buying.

I'm afraid that the AD will look down on me. But I really do not want to be a victim again, so now in dilemma. Pls advise..
Afraid today loupe mania is the norm with most Rolex wearers today with Rolex watches so don't be embarrassed.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2012, 07:05 PM   #12
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvio Mosiello View Post
If my AD said anything about me bringing a loupe in and made me feel embarrassed I would tell her manager and say they lost a good customer. Do you not look closely at a new car before you buy it? Do you not check the foundation of a new house and make sure everything is top notch before you buy it? Sure a loupe is taking it somewhat far but you wont notice the tiniest flaw on a car or house boat etc but on a watch which all of us wis's who stare at the dial all day may very well notice a small flaw which takes away from the enjoyment of it. You should go ahead and smell the damn watch to make sure the watchmaker cleaned his hands who made it if that makes you comfortable! Your the customer you are always right now go put that loupe to work!
Well said!
Singslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2012, 07:15 PM   #13
Adam K.
Banned

Watch: All the Oysters
No, not in my view. All major watch manufacturers can let out specimens with "issues" from time to time....it pays to examine the piece you intend to purchase to make sure it isn't one of those. Easier to do that, then find out afterwards and have to deal with the customer service process (however good or accomodating it may be) after the fact!
Adam K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2012, 07:24 PM   #14
wokafu
"TRF" Member

Watch: SM300+14060M
i would if im about to purchase a vintage piece...but wont if im going for a new 1..would you..?
wokafu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2012, 07:40 PM   #15
MrLee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub c, smp
I gotta be honest I would feel like a bit of a nerd, but I can understand why u are doing it. Won't they have a loupe in store anyway, just ask to borrow theirs.
MrLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2012, 08:33 PM   #16
Dennis Quek
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam K. View Post
No, not in my view. All major watch manufacturers can let out specimens with "issues" from time to time....it pays to examine the piece you intend to purchase to make sure it isn't one of those. Easier to do that, then find out afterwards and have to deal with the customer service process (however good or accomodating it may be) after the fact!
This is the exact feeling... I hate going through the post sale customer procedure... this is why, I decided to bring my 10x loupe along. Thanks for all the good advices, not that I dont trust Rolex QC but I had gotten a bad feeling when I purchased my first rolex. So now, I am not going to make the same mistake again.
Dennis Quek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2012, 08:59 PM   #17
Bangel
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
You're the customer and it's your money you're parting with.

If you're planning to use a loupe to inspect your watch for potential angst inducing flaws anyway, you might as well do it at the shop. I'm sure it would make life a whole lot easier to discover any flaws before purchase than dealing with them after.

I've never used a loupe myself, but I don't think you should feel any sense of embarrassment or being intimidated for wanting to do so.

Let us know how it all goes.

Edit: Just saw your post above and see you've decided to take the loupe. Good for you.

Last edited by Bangel; 6 August 2012 at 09:01 PM.. Reason: Addition
Bangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2012, 09:10 PM   #18
Cabaiguan
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTII
When I bought my wife her engagement ring, the jeweler lent me a loupe to inspect the diamond, which was much less expensive than why many current watches go for.

Personally, I wouldn't do it, but you should not feel embarrassed doing so.
Old 6 August 2012, 09:15 PM   #19
SALTY
"TRF" Member

Watch: Your Six
I would not feel embarrassed, especially if I had a previous issue but the store would no doubt have a loupe for you to use and if you brought it up in conversation about your previous issue and then asked to borrow a loupe - it would be entirely understandable. I doubt they would be the least bit reluctant to accomodate.
Old 6 August 2012, 09:26 PM   #20
bigrustypig
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DSSD
I'd do the same thing and bring a 10X loupe. No embarassment at all.
bigrustypig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2012, 09:41 PM   #21
le_baroudeur
"TRF" Member

Another solution:
You borrow the AD's loupe, saying that you want to see the dial's perfection... They will not refuse.
Old 6 August 2012, 09:47 PM   #22
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
If i am spending thousands of dollars on something most spend $15 on, than I would have no problem bringing a microscope let alone a loupe to examine the piece. IMHO. :-)
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2012, 09:54 PM   #23
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
If it makes you happy why not....

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2012, 10:11 PM   #24
Rocco22
Banned

Watch: Hulk,114060,14060
Who cares what the ad thinks,it's your money do whatever inspection you feel like doing.just like buying a car it's a big expense make sure it's to your liking.
Rocco22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2012, 10:28 PM   #25
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Agree with everyone above. Bring the loupe and use it.
Old 6 August 2012, 10:31 PM   #26
TonyD
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Meteorite Daytona
My AD knows me well by now.... they inspect a watch long before I get there because they know I expect perfection. Not in an annoying way, but as it should be, that you pay for Rolex/Omega quality and you expect to see a clean dial, markers all aligned etc.

Last time I went to pick up a watch they handed me a loupe and said it was already inspected and ready to go.
Old 6 August 2012, 10:42 PM   #27
cedargrove
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss, GMT IIc
I've just asked to borrow the AD's loupe. Not embarrassed at all. They seemed fine with it too. I'd bring yours for sure.
cedargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2012, 10:50 PM   #28
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
I've had jewellers and other stores offer me use of a loupe, but for the past few years I just take my trusty 8x with me. Handy for me, being somewhat long-sighted. And note that some watch manufacturers actually include a loupe in the packaging, so that you can closely admire their craftsmanship

Not wanting to get into the 'are flaws acceptable?' debate, but surely it is worth spending 5-10 mins carefully examining an expensive purchase before handing over the loot?
Old 6 August 2012, 10:54 PM   #29
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_baroudeur View Post
Another solution:
You borrow the AD's loupe, saying that you want to see the dial's perfection... They will not refuse.
This is the best solution IMHO. Have your own in your car's glovebox as a Plan B, but ask for theirs first.

It can be a cultural thing and Dennis lives in a part of the world where it could be taken as a slight to one's character if you whip out your own loupe - a silent sign of distrust.

When working close-up under race cars I learned a trick - use 6 power reading glasses to see things clearly with both eyes while keeping both hands free. This isn't as good as 10x loupe but it avoids the potential for putting-off the seller (AD or private).

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2012, 11:14 PM   #30
dpkong
"TRF" Member

Watch: it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLee View Post
I gotta be honest I would feel like a bit of a nerd, but I can understand why u are doing it. Won't they have a loupe in store anyway, just ask to borrow theirs.
this is the answer!
dpkong is offline   Reply With Quote