The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 January 2010, 06:25 PM   #1
WatchForLife

Watch: 116710LN
Icon1 Buying my 1st Rolex - SS GMTIIc or SS Subc - advice and opinions welcome

I am new to this forum but have been doing research for few months..Want to take the plunge and buy my 1st Rolex to keep (might sound naive to say that at this stage without having ever owned one). The question is which one would be the definitive keeper - SS GMTIIc or SS Subc ???
Assume that the SS Subc has same features as it's gold versions and GMTIIc is what it is today.

I am not a diver and so the diving functionality on the sub would be just for cosmetics. I travel on business and for that reason the GMTII 2-3 time zone functionality could be useful. Water resistance spec is beyond what is needed in both.

I think GMTIIc is a great looking watch. There are a couple of cosmetic things that make me hesitate: PCLs, large numbers on the bezel, green 24hr hand and text... I think the large numbers on the bezel is the biggest concern since it makes the watch look like a gadget rather than a classic.
WatchForLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2010, 06:38 PM   #2
Desperado
"TRF" Member

Watch: YM Platinum
GMT 2 C is a beautiful watch as is although i would prefer it without PCL's (but this is not a show stopper IMO)
Desperado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2010, 06:38 PM   #3
Deyn Man
"TRF" Member

welcome Timo!

well, can't go wrong with either! Both are iconic watches and have a rich history!

i guess it'll pretty boil down to your preferences. best to try both out and get what you really want!

however, the current SS sub is not the same as the tt/gold versions (i think). i do believe that the TT and gold versions have already the maxi-dial. the WG version (if i'm not mistaken) already have the ceramic blue bezel. a lot feel that the new ss sub will come out in basel this year sporting these updates as well. with that, you may want to wait a while...

goodluck bro! do let us know what you decide to get!
Deyn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2010, 06:41 PM   #4
Desperado
"TRF" Member

Watch: YM Platinum
[QUOTE=Deyn Man;1547851]welcome Timo!

well, can't go wrong with either! Both are iconic watches and have a rich history!

however, the current SS sub is not the same as the tt/gold versions (i think). i do believe that the TT and gold versions have already the maxi-dial. the WG version (if i'm not mistaken) already have the ceramic blue bezel. a lot feel that the new ss sub will come out in basel this year sporting these updates as well. ]

Correct
Desperado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2010, 06:44 PM   #5
WatchForLife

Thanks for your comments Dean.
When I talk about the SS Subc I already refer to the yet to be announced new version. I assume it will be exactly like the current WG version, just SS and black ceramic bezel.
Old 5 January 2010, 06:54 PM   #6
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

You have expressed some reservations about the GMTIIc's appearance (the PCLs and the large fonts on the bezel) which suggests to me that the watch doesn't "sing'' to you as much as it does to other forum members. So maybe a bit of patience is called for, especially since it's likely (though not guaranteed) that Rolex will unveil a new S/S Sub at Basel in April.
Singslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2010, 08:26 PM   #7
Deyn Man
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchForLife View Post
When I talk about the SS Subc I already refer to the yet to be announced new version. I assume it will be exactly like the current WG version, just SS and black ceramic bezel.
oh, sorry... heheheh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singslinger View Post
You have expressed some reservations about the GMTIIc's appearance (the PCLs and the large fonts on the bezel) which suggests to me that the watch doesn't "sing'' to you as much as it does to other forum members. So maybe a bit of patience is called for, especially since it's likely (though not guaranteed) that Rolex will unveil a new S/S Sub at Basel in April.
x2

though again, NOT really sure if the new SS Sub C will come out this year. and if it does come out, i reckon you'd most likely to get one by next year (depending of course on your connections).

have you tried other models? Deep Sea perhaps or the SUb LV? YM?
Deyn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2010, 01:04 AM   #8
ukrolex

Timo, i purchased a GMT IIc less that 2 weeks ago and I love everything about it.

I love the ceramic bezel and I love the PCLs. It also goes with jeans and a suit as well.

I also travel around the world and the time zone function is invaluble to be

UK
ukrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2010, 01:09 AM   #9
vukotab
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing movies!
Well, if money isn`t problem, then I`d go for GMT IIc. It`s great looking watch, and it has that second time zone function, which is nice addition to already perfect watch.
But, then again, you cannot miss with Sub either, it`s icon among sport watches!
Oh, and welcome to TRF!
vukotab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2010, 01:14 AM   #10
scl6118
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS GMT IIC
I chose the GMT IIC almost a year ago and am glad I did! It's a great watch and is beautiful. This is the first time I have heard anybody say the numbers on the bezel are too big, I never noticed and don't agree. As for the green hand and writing, that was the biggest eye catcher for me! I love the green on the IIC!!!!

Good luck and it's a win/win situation with either watch!

Current: SS GMT IIC
Former: Panerai 114
Former: Breitling Hercules

:
scl6118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2010, 01:55 AM   #11
WatchForLife

Thanks, this is just the kind of feedback i was looking for! Strongly going for GMTIIc but will wait for Basel 2010 to see the new sub-c if announced (hoping to feel even stronger about GMTIIc after that...)
I know i couldn't really go wrong with either options, just trying to make the right choice and never look back...
Old 6 January 2010, 02:02 AM   #12
vambeck
"TRF" Member

Watch: EXROLEXROLEXROLEXR
I personally don't like the PCL's on the SS GMT2 C or on any stainless steel model for that matter!

Hold out for the new submariner, it will be worth the wait!!!
Old 6 January 2010, 02:21 AM   #13
Gerardus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
Gmt2c

♕16570 ♕126610 ♕126333
Gerardus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2010, 02:37 AM   #14
JBat
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16610, DJ
The GMT is available now, and nobody knows if a new Sub coming for sure or not. If you wait, you may find prices have gone up by the time you're ready to buy.

The GMT is a great piece.
JBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2010, 10:17 AM   #15
crazycarlitos
"TRF" Member

both are great !

but if u r concerned with the PCL (rightfully so, since they show scratches easily)

and do not care for the bezel of the GMTiiC,

u should get the Sub.

make sure to see it in person.

only reason i didnt get the gmt-c is that i didnt like the way the bezel rotated.. wasn't 'crisp' compared to the subdate or Sea-dweller..

why wait for the sub ceramic? i sort of like the aluminum bezel.. not worried about it being too brittle =) and cheaper to replace.

my 2 cents
Old 6 January 2010, 10:22 AM   #16
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Hi Timo, welcome to TRF.

Better to grab the bird in hand than wait for the one in the bush.......which we are still not sure of.

The Ceramic SS Sub is still speculation. Even if it is released at Basel 2010, it will be the end of the year before ADs start getting stock.........and at what price, who knows!!

Why not grab the GMT-IIC now? Discounts are available, the watch is available quite freely and is an absolute beauty!!

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2010, 06:01 PM   #17
Watch Fan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Tough choice for sure. I have the current sub date and the GMT IIc and love them both. The GMT is awesome, but you do find yourself buffing smudges off of the pcls alot. The current sub? What can I say, it always looks and feels great. Personally, I don't know that I would like the new sub better than the one I have. If you were just buying 1 watch to keep for a long time, that goes with everything and is low maintenance, reconsider the current model sub. You may like it more than you think.
Watch Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2010, 06:07 PM   #18
rayt
"TRF" Member

Watch: must be rolex
il vote for the gmt2 ceramic ss.handsome watch indeed!
rayt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2010, 08:04 PM   #19
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
If waiting and price and not issues for you (esp if you are looking for a keeper) then hold out until the Sub C launches and compare the two

Cheers
Old 6 January 2010, 08:12 PM   #20
xbox
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hunting ...
Quote:
The question is which one would be the definitive keeper - SS GMTIIc or SS Subc ???
The SS Sub is unquestionably a Rolex icon.

Grab one in its current form while you can.
xbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2010, 08:40 PM   #21
MoBowness
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc
Hi Timo,

Maybe my post on another thread will help you make your mind up!

Cheers,
Mo.

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=108386
MoBowness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2010, 08:52 PM   #22
WatchForLife

Mo, Thanks for posting your earlier thread, very helpful. The pictures looked absolutely amazing! You certainly shared your experience!!
Old 6 January 2010, 08:59 PM   #23
WatchForLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Hi Timo, welcome to TRF.

Better to grab the bird in hand than wait for the one in the bush.......which we are still not sure of.

The Ceramic SS Sub is still speculation. Even if it is released at Basel 2010, it will be the end of the year before ADs start getting stock.........and at what price, who knows!!

Why not grab the GMT-IIC now? Discounts are available, the watch is available quite freely and is an absolute beauty!!

JJ

Thanks JJ. I was expecting your wise words. What discounts should i expect? Recommended places to buy ?? I will be in US east coast around mid January, planning a trip to China/H.K. in February... I have pretty much made up my mind to go for GMTIIc !
Old 6 January 2010, 10:17 PM   #24
Thai
Banned

Watch: Rolex Yacht-Master
GMT2c. My brother has one and it is beautiful!! I would take it over a Sub anyday.
Thai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2010, 11:16 PM   #25
Watch Professor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIC; Sub Date
Since you are a traveler, I would get the GMT IIC. Another factor to consider are price increases next year when the new sub comes out.

ar when the new sub comes out.
Watch Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2010, 11:45 PM   #26
BASSETHOUNDS
Banned

Watch: 116520/660/710/334
Either of them would be a great first Rolex buy . You most probably end up buying both eventually .
BASSETHOUNDS is offline   Reply With Quote