The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 17 January 2010, 11:43 PM   #1
shaggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLUE ARAB DAYTONA
why does GMT only rotate once in 24hrs

im wondering why rolex made the extra hour hand only rotate the dial once in 24 hrs hours as opposed to twice like the normal hour hand?
was it a cost issue or a technical issue?
and is it technicaly harder to have it rotate twice in 24 hrs?
shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2010, 11:51 PM   #2
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy View Post
im wondering why rolex made the extra hour hand only rotate the dial once in 24 hrs hours as opposed to twice like the normal hour hand?
So the wearer can determine day or night [1:00 am vs 1:00 pm] on a second timezone.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2010, 11:53 PM   #3
Poohsan
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT 1675
To tell time in 24 hour increments not 12 increments.

“A 24-hour watch is a type of watch with an hour hand that completes a revolution every 24 hours. This type of watch is especially useful for airplane pilots, astronauts, members of the military, or anyone who uses a 24-hour clock.” – from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GMT_Watch
Old 17 January 2010, 11:54 PM   #4
shaggy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
So the wearer can determine day or night [1:00 am vs 1:00 pm] on a second timezone.
dP
is that all
i need to get out more
there was i thinking that it would include more engineering (hence why this post is in watchtech)
Old 17 January 2010, 11:59 PM   #5
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Aaron is correct as worldwide time navigation is based on 24 hour military time. But I need to know if they're out of bed before I call Guam.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2010, 02:10 AM   #6
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Everybody is just guessing... none of us actually know the answer..

However, the original GMT had hands that were synced together (the improved GMT II is fairly new), so by your reasoning, both hands would be in the same place.........

That would have been nothing more than a regular watch with a rotating bezel......... it would be the Turn-O-Graph, which already existed..

(Both the original GMT, and the Sub were developed from the Turn-O-Graph base)
Old 18 January 2010, 02:43 AM   #7
shaggy
"TRF" Member

i can understand the concept of 24 hr time and appreciate that the bezel helps out with the telling of day/night with the dark colour blue is from 18 - 6 ie dark and the lighter red being from 6 - 18 ie daylight in the second timezone?
of course an all black bezel wouldn't help with this so we are back to the 24hr part of the bezel
Old 18 January 2010, 03:07 AM   #8
Balboa

The original GMT was intended to help pilots keep track of GMT (now UTC). UTC is kept on a 24 hour scale. If the extra hand moved on a 12 hour basis, it would be useless for its intended purpose.

Of course newer versions of the watch allow some additional flexibility in the use of the fourth hand, but the original purpose is still valid.

Mark
Balboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2010, 03:10 AM   #9
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Even if Rolex could rearrange the gearing for the 24-hour hand to rotate TWICE in 24 hours, it would defeat the very purpose for which the watch was intended!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2010, 03:17 AM   #10
Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balboa View Post
The original GMT was intended to help pilots keep track of GMT (now UTC). UTC is kept on a 24 hour scale. If the extra hand moved on a 12 hour basis, it would be useless for its intended purpose.

Of course newer versions of the watch allow some additional flexibility in the use of the fourth hand, but the original purpose is still valid.

Mark
No, no, no.......The original GMT was intended for pilots to keep track of their HOME time... (GMT is just the name of the watch....not the hand or it's intention)

The watch was set to HOME time.... both hands, since they were synced. The bezel was rotated to each new time-zone to keep track of where you are in the world, but the pilot kept a home reference to sleep by and manage jet lag... That was the whole point for Pan Am's request to Rolex for development of the watch..
Old 23 March 2010, 04:49 AM   #11
petespendthrift

Whatever the intended method of use for the original GMT, the GMT-II and Exp-II are far more useful to pilots because the 24 hour hand can be left on GMT/UTC. As a commercial pilot I am a lot more interested in what GMT/UTC is than home time as all flight plans, weather etc. use UTC. When I need to ring Mrs. Spendthrift - temporarily requiring home time - I use the hours offset from GMT (eg. UTC +6 hours) - which can be worked out in my head or on the bezel. UTC offset simplifies time zone calculations which is why its what almanacs use.

The fact that Rolex called the original model the GMT does give some indication that they intended pilots to be able to use it to work out GMT.

A second 12 hour hand would not be able to achieve any of these functions so would be useless.
petespendthrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2010, 05:01 AM   #12
ParisDakarBmw
Banned

Watch: 116610 Sub-C
I think it's an excuse to have a cool red hand.................JK

The second time zone in 24 hour sounds better. If your on the other side of the pond, you would be able to tell the true time with no math involved.
ParisDakarBmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2010, 05:11 AM   #13
goldminer

Watch: 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
No, no, no.......The original GMT was intended for pilots to keep track of their HOME time... (GMT is just the name of the watch....not the hand or it's intention)

The watch was set to HOME time.... both hands, since they were synced. The bezel was rotated to each new time-zone to keep track of where you are in the world, but the pilot kept a home reference to sleep by and manage jet lag... That was the whole point for Pan Am's request to Rolex for development of the watch..
Not quite .... Pan Am requested a watch that could simultaneously record two time zones.

Commercial flights use UTC (previously used GMT) or "Zulu" time. Weather forecasts, flight plans and air traffic control clearances all use UTC to avoid confusion about time zones. They do not use local times, so if a pilot was using the watch as it was originally intended he wouldn't have it set on HOME time but on GMT. The suggestion that it was used to manage jet-lag seems rather fanciful to me.
goldminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2010, 05:13 AM   #14
2005rivers

Watch: GMT Master IIc
I heard it was for nano seconds

Realy joking, I agree with above posts
2005rivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2010, 08:32 AM   #15
larrysb

I'm a pilot (non-commercial though I hold instrument and single and multiengine licenses), and I use my GMT watch with the 24 hour hand set to UTC time. (the currently correct name for the meridian timezone, which is kept in 24-hour time and not subject to DST, but is subject to leap seconds to keep it in sync with UC-1 time, derived from astronomical and solar observations from the earth's perspective, as opposed to absolute time scales such as the GPS Epoch).

(Sorry for the smeared sentences. I had to write a research paper for my company once on all the different time bases).
larrysb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2010, 08:35 AM   #16
mopsey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,Exp2,BlkBy,SD
This is one of those jokes threads, ain't it?
Old 24 March 2010, 11:11 AM   #17
Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopsey View Post
This is one of those jokes threads, ain't it?
It must be........ Some of these posters are just guessing and haven't done much actual study or research of the watch and why it was developed....
Old 24 March 2010, 02:02 PM   #18
MikeyTX
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116613LN Sub
It is rather evident that many haven't bothered to read any of your in depth threads.
Old 6 April 2010, 08:58 AM   #19
Flyjet601
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
My $0.02

Well I have always looked at the 4th hand as my GMT time. Really I could care less about what time it is at home.

If I travel to a different time zone, I have to adapt as quickly as I can to function in this new time. Knowing I am 8 hrs ahead or behind of home is irrelevant in adapting to jet lag, if I really need to know what time it is at home I rotate the bezel accordingly. There is no easy way to adapt to jet lag and certainly knowing what time it is at home is no help(at least not to me and everyone I know who travels a lot).

As stated above, all time in aviation are in UTC, so a quick look a your wrist and you know what time(UTC) it is wherever you are in the world. This idea of knowing home time as stated I believe in the original Rolex ad I think is another marketing idea to sell the watch to the general public. Although as many people use, there are other uses for the 4th hand.
Old 6 April 2010, 09:02 AM   #20
MikeyTX
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116613LN Sub
Quote:
Same reason a chicken crosses the road .................
Old 8 April 2010, 09:28 AM   #21
David Woo

I was gonna say "the same reason the sun only comes up once a day" but they say I'm way too cynical.
DW
David Woo is offline   Reply With Quote