The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 February 2010, 03:40 AM   #1
Gman76

Watch: Submariner 16610
Time gain

I bought my v series ss sub date in December and have recently paid closer attention to the accuracy. It appears to be gaining a good 5-6 seconds per day, perhaps more when it hasn't been wound in a week. From reading other posts, seems that regulation is -4 to +6 seconds/day.

I'm curious as to what others find tolerable, and whether my sub might need an adjustment. I typically wear the watch ~12 hours/day, set in on my nightstand crown-up over night, and try to wind it once per week. Seems like while on my wrist, it keeps the more accurate time, and off my wrist, it picks up additional seconds.

Would appreciate some further explanations/ideas from the experts on TRF. Also, if I did want to bring it in for regulation at some point, is this something NY RSC will do and cover under warranty? I live/work in NYC so it's convenient. Seems like most people bring theirs directly to their AD's, but I bought mine while on vacation in Aruba. Thanks.
Gman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2010, 03:46 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
That's too far off for me.. I would have it regulated and dropping it off at the RSC seems like the best idea..
Old 24 February 2010, 03:50 AM   #3
Gman76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
That's too far off for me.. I would have it regulated and dropping it off at the RSC seems like the best idea..
How long does it typically take to regulate a watch? Would RSC have to keep it for a week +?
Old 24 February 2010, 03:59 AM   #4
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman76 View Post
How long does it typically take to regulate a watch? Would RSC have to keep it for a week +?
Tha actual regulation only takes a few minutes... But, to do it right, it is nice to let the watchmaker keep it for a few days to watch the changes over time and temperature..

Sometimes they will do it while you wait though....

Last edited by Tools; 24 February 2010 at 07:18 AM..
Tools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2010, 04:05 AM   #5
ESKO

Watch: 2012 Milgauss GV
Glad I stumbled onto this thread, education is abound around here!
I love this forum!
ESKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2010, 04:42 AM   #6
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
I bought my v series ss sub date in December and have recently paid closer attention to the accuracy. It appears to be gaining a good 5-6 seconds per day, perhaps more when it hasn't been wound in a week. From reading other posts, seems that regulation is -4 to +6 seconds/day.

I'm curious as to what others find tolerable, and whether my sub might need an adjustment. I typically wear the watch ~12 hours/day, set in on my nightstand crown-up over night, and try to wind it once per week. Seems like while on my wrist, it keeps the more accurate time, and off my wrist, it picks up additional seconds.

Would appreciate some further explanations/ideas from the experts on TRF. Also, if I did want to bring it in for regulation at some point, is this something NY RSC will do and cover under warranty? I live/work in NYC so it's convenient. Seems like most people bring theirs directly to their AD's, but I bought mine while on vacation in Aruba. Thanks.
Well the COSC spec is a average of -4 to +6 seconds a day and your watch
seems to be just that.Now to test any watch fully wind it say 40 crown turns
set watch with reliable time source.Wear as normal check time daily with same setting source for five days. Then average loss or gain if your watch is then out of COSC spec get it regulated a very simple 30 minute job.IMHO its pointless getting the back off for say two to three seconds if within COSC spec..

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2010, 04:58 AM   #7
JBat
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16610, DJ
I'd like mine to be closer to zero deviation myself, mostly because Rolex's are fully capable of it, but you have to decide what you're comfortable with.
JBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2010, 05:09 AM   #8
kmleffler
"TRF" Member

Watch: GS SD GMT
If it really bothers you have it adjusted. I took my GMTIIc into the RSC in NYC and they adjusted it while I waited. It took about 20 minutes.
kmleffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2010, 05:56 AM   #9
Gman76

I spoke to a woman at NY RSC. She said it's still in an acceptable range, albeit it at the high end, but as it's a new watch, she wouldn't advise opening it up at this point and messing w/ the oils, etc. Since I've only been wearing it about 6 weeks, she told me to give it 3 months or so to see how it settles in before determining whether to have it regulated.

You guys think this is fair? At this point, it's not really bothering me from a time standpoint. More bothering me that I bought this brand new expensive watch and it's not keeping time as well as it could/should.
Old 24 February 2010, 06:43 AM   #10
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Try a different resting position at night.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2010, 06:55 AM   #11
slevin kelevra
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060m
Try it crown down at night.

My sub was almost perferctly accurate for the first month I had it from new but then all of a sudden it started gaining lots of time (A bit more than yours).

I could not accept that this would "just" happen so took it back to my AD who sent it to RSC. They quoted 4-6 weeks to return it. Im not really happy with that as its a month old watch but there is not much I can do.

I totally miss my watch and in hindsight would have tried a few more ways of regulating it myself, i.e. changing the position of the watch overnight etc before sending it away for such a long period of time.
slevin kelevra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2010, 07:12 AM   #12
NorthernPike
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV, 1949 Everest
Quote:
I spoke to a woman at NY RSC. She said it's still in an acceptable range, albeit it at the high end, but as it's a new watch, she wouldn't advise opening it up at this point and messing w/ the oils, etc. Since I've only been wearing it about 6 weeks, she told me to give it 3 months or so to see how it settles in before determining whether to have it regulated.

You guys think this is fair? At this point, it's not really bothering me from a time standpoint. More bothering me that I bought this brand new expensive watch and it's not keeping time as well as it could/should.
I started a thread on this not too long ago under Toronto Warranty Service

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthrea...64#post1642064

Mine's running +6 every day since new and its driving me nuts. AD said its within spec.s and therefore acceptable. That was after about 3 months. Getting close to 2 years now and end of warranty. I think I'm going to take it to RSC Toronto soon and see what they can do for me.
NorthernPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2010, 08:13 AM   #13
Gman76

Quote:
Originally Posted by slevin kelevra View Post
Try it crown down at night.

My sub was almost perferctly accurate for the first month I had it from new but then all of a sudden it started gaining lots of time (A bit more than yours).

I could not accept that this would "just" happen so took it back to my AD who sent it to RSC. They quoted 4-6 weeks to return it. Im not really happy with that as its a month old watch but there is not much I can do.

I totally miss my watch and in hindsight would have tried a few more ways of regulating it myself, i.e. changing the position of the watch overnight etc before sending it away for such a long period of time.
Thanks for all the info, fortunately I have the luxury of walking 4 blocks from work to the RSC in NYC should this become worse/unbearable and can sit and wait while they regulate it. In the meantime, maybe I'll try crown down at night and mix it up (although crown up is supposed to take off more time from what I've been told).
Old 24 February 2010, 08:44 AM   #14
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Try all 6 positions. Every watch is different.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2010, 08:53 AM   #15
ayres
"TRF" Member

Watch: whatever runs
actually, now that you mention how long you have been wearing it, i'd say wait longer. but as padi suggested, have a consistent routine for measuring the watch. i would suggest after waking and before bed. if it helps, put the info into an excel sheet. doing this all the time sucks, but the nature of the watch's consistency/accuracy (especially when new) does change over time. so take this time to more fully understand what it's doing.

also, in your initial posting, it seems like you are not entirely sure of yourself and how off the watch is... don't jump to any conclusions yet. if you're using something like time.gov (or any other online time), make sure you have a fast connect. there are also free atomic clock apps for phones. i have one that is very nice. checking your watch's time every now and then does not work. do it consistently!!!
ayres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2010, 09:12 AM   #16
Rscmaine
"TRF" Member

Watch: me pull a rabbit..
Most watches keep their best time when fully wound - you wear it for 12 hours then it sits - then you wear it -

I doubt that it is above 70% wound at any time...

Try giving it 15 or 20 turns in the morning before you put it on so that it is fully wound to start your day -

I bet it will correct a few seconds.
Old 24 February 2010, 09:55 AM   #17
godsey
"TRF" Member

Watch: W seadweller M sub
I have an m series sub date and when i first got it it would run about 6 to 8 seconds fast ,i wear it 24/7 and about 1 month after having it it dropped down to 1 + and stayed there and thats been over 1 yr. seems like it breaks in as you wear it .i would wait a while. good luck
godsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2010, 06:51 PM   #18
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:

If you read my above post thats exactly what I said you guys worry to much about a few seconds.Remember this the escapement of a mechanical watch in 24 hours pushes the gears 432,000 times. Since a day has 86,400 seconds, even a watch that runs five minutes fast or slow each day has an accuracy of over 99.6 percent! A finer mechanical watch that gains or loses about six to nine seconds a day or about a minute a week has a breathtaking precision of over 99.99 per cent. This is very high precision, given the fact that the movement is constantly affected by the earth's gravity, metal expansion and contraction, temperature variations, subtle changes in lubrication and friction, shocks, and so on.The fact is that no mechanical watch made will keep perfect time, very close yes but perfect no and your watch is showing 99.994% accuracy now.

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 24 February 2010, 09:49 PM   #19
slevin kelevra
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060m
Quote:
Thanks for all the info, fortunately I have the luxury of walking 4 blocks from work to the RSC in NYC should this become worse/unbearable and can sit and wait while they regulate it. In the meantime, maybe I'll try crown down at night and mix it up (although crown up is supposed to take off more time from what I've been told).

yes crown up should take even more time off
slevin kelevra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2010, 02:05 AM   #20
NorthernPike
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV, 1949 Everest
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Remember this the escapement of a mechanical watch in 24 hours pushes the gears 432,000 times. Since a day has 86,400 seconds, even a watch that runs five minutes fast or slow each day has an accuracy of over 99.6 percent! A finer mechanical watch that gains or loses about six to nine seconds a day or about a minute a week has a breathtaking precision of over 99.99 per cent.

... your watch is showing 99.994% accuracy now.
This is all true, and pretty much the explanation I received at my AD, though it was largely unnecessary. I am and was then, well aware of the workings, limitations and expectations of a mechanical watch. As JBat mentioned above, these watches are capable of outstanding accuracy. In terms of consistency, my watch is performing far in excess of 99.99 %.
There is no variation. Every day it is exactly plus 6. Whether worn, not worn, placed crown up, crown down, freshly wound, not wound. Whatever. Always +6! That indicates to me that this watch is utterly consistent, which is a very good thing. Now it only needs to be regulated to slow it down a little bit.
It is my understanding that regulation by placement, ie. crown up/crown down is something that works with the older slower beat movements and is not very effective with our newer faster more modern movements. That has also been my experience with this watch.
NorthernPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2010, 02:20 AM   #21
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernPike View Post
This is all true, and pretty much the explanation I received at my AD, though it was largely unnecessary. I am and was then, well aware of the workings, limitations and expectations of a mechanical watch. As JBat mentioned above, these watches are capable of outstanding accuracy. In terms of consistency, my watch is performing far in excess of 99.99 %.
There is no variation. Every day it is exactly plus 6. Whether worn, not worn, placed crown up, crown down, freshly wound, not wound. Whatever. Always +6! That indicates to me that this watch is utterly consistent, which is a very good thing. Now it only needs to be regulated to slow it down a little bit.
It is my understanding that regulation by placement, ie. crown up/crown down is something that works with the older slower beat movements and is not very effective with our newer faster more modern movements. That has also been my experience with this watch.
What I am saying don't be in a hurry to get the back of for say 2 or 3 seconds your watch could settle down and loose a few seconds.Like you say the most important thing with any mechanical watch is consistency which your watch has.Now even if you did get it regulated and on the machine results come back as say +2.Now than don't necessarily mean it will be +2 on the wrist afraid it don't always work that way.The main culprit being gravity
and wearing habits I am sure soon your watch in a month or so will be running
within 2 or 3 seconds a day.And when you think of that tiny gain or a tiny loss a mechanical watch gives tremendous precision if you think what its got to put with on your wrist each day.So don't worry over a few seconds,just enjoy your watch in good health for the next few decades, thats far more important.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 13 March 2010, 07:06 AM   #22
Gman76

Ok, I haven't reset the time in 18 days now. I wind it once per week and in fact, during the 18 days, 2 of the days I didn't wear the watch at all. It's picked up 75 seconds in 18 days, so 4.17 seconds/day. Considering I wear the watch about 12 hours per day and wind it once per week, I'm probably rarely on full power reserve. I think I can live with this amount of gain, particularly since it likely picked up more time those 2 days it went unworn. Not sure if RSC would even want to regulate it since it's within the acceptable range.
Old 13 March 2010, 11:23 AM   #23
Perdu
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
They always do better fully wound on the wrist.

Benson 1937 Sterling Silver Hunter
Perdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2010, 01:35 AM   #24
rodb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
Mine was fast as well at first but now 2 years later it is only 2 secs a day fast. I wear it every day for at least 12 hours. Seems to keep getting better as it ages. I just hack the movement for whatever is necessary when I have to change the date.
Old 14 March 2010, 02:02 AM   #25
Ck8
"TRF" Member

Quote:

My GMT is the opposite to yours, it gains more when I wear it than resting overnight. I have sent it back to RSC, though it is running within COSC, they have kindly regulated it and at present testing it. The watchmaker said the action was set a little high, did't know what he meant a bit over my head. Anyone knows what action is?
Ck8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2010, 02:12 AM   #26
Zirotti
"TRF" Member

Watch: Invicta
I don't understand why some people insist that RSC regulate a watch that is already running within COSC standards.

I agree with everything Padi said. These machines are already incredibly accurated. To take something from 99.97 to 99.98 accurate is....
Zirotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2010, 03:21 AM   #27
Ck8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirotti View Post
I don't understand why some people insist that RSC regulate a watch that is already running within COSC standards.

I agree with everything Padi said. These machines are already incredibly accurated. To take something from 99.97 to 99.98 accurate is....
COSC standard does not mean that much and many here agreed it is a marketing tool for watch brands to sell their products. Why should one accept their watch is within COSC standard when the test does not mean that much. If you have had mechanical watches that day in day out run spot on; only deviated a second or two every now and then you would not accept anything less. What you never had you never would miss! If a watch can be regulated to run better than COSC then why not, if you are going to keep the watch for several years before it get serviced.
After paying several thousand pounds it is not much to ask for a watch that does not require you the need to adjust it every month because the timing is out too much for your liking.
Ck8 is offline   Reply With Quote