The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 December 2006, 11:14 AM   #1
rmfnla
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ
Crystal Conversion

Hi all!

I'm brand new to this forum; in fact, I joined to ask this specific question.

I tried a search for this but got nothing so forgive me if it has been asked before.

My everyday watch is a mid-80s SS & 14k Datejust with a white enamel face w/ gold Roman numerals. As I am sure you all know this model has an acrylic crystal and I am interested in having it converted to sapphire.

Is this a good move or should I leave it alone?

Thanks.
rmfnla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2006, 11:22 AM   #2
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmfnla View Post
Hi all!

I tried a search for this but got nothing so forgive me if it has been asked before.

My everyday watch is a mid-80s SS & 14k Datejust with a white enamel face w/ gold Roman numerals. As I am sure you all know this model has an acrylic crystal and I am interested in having it converted to sapphire.

Thanks.

Hi, Welcome!

No, not a good move. Older models with acryllic crystals can't properly accept the sapphire version. The fit is different, and the watch won't seal properly.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2006, 11:29 AM   #3
rmfnla
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
Hi, Welcome!

No, not a good move. Older models with acryllic crystals can't properly accept the sapphire version. The fit is different, and the watch won't seal properly.
Perhaps I wasn't (crystal) clear; my apologies.

I'm not talking about putting the wrong part on my watch, I'm asking about the after-market conversions that are available.

Look:

http://www.horologist.com/rolex_crystals.htm
Old 30 December 2006, 12:35 PM   #4
mikey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oysterdate 6694
Welcome, I was considering the same conversion. I have actually seen someone with the conversion. The crystal is high and only when you looked square at the watch you can appreciate the clarity. The conversion makes adding different bezels to the watch easy. I have had a hard time finding a diamond bezel to fit flush against the case other than my stock engine turn bezel.
mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2006, 01:17 PM   #5
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
I'd take the "perfect fit" claim with a pinch of salt - I've already seen too many examples of parts like bracelets and bezel inserts that claim a perfect fit and end up looking like some kindergarten project.

Also, why mess around with the look?

Welcome aboard, by the way!
Old 30 December 2006, 01:22 PM   #6
OysterDavid
Banned

We warned you...

Quote:
Hi all!

Thanks.
This falls into the category of 'it's your watch, you can do what you like'...but, as pointed out above, you will never get the water/pressure proofing that the watch is manufactured for, and, should you ever decide to have Rolex service the watch, they will wag their finger at you and refuse to do anything beyond the estimate unless you agree to put the watch back to their specs.

If you're concerned with the inevitable scratching the takes place in the plastic crystal, then buy yourself a tube of Polywatch or Brasso or common toothpaste or whatever others have experimented with to buff out the scratches. It works just fine.

That said, my personal preference is to leave the Rolex as the Rolex Gods intended, but I'm also a big believer in personal freedom, so if you want to customize your Rolex, then that's allright by me.
OysterDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2006, 01:43 PM   #7
Flyjet601
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
Hi, Welcome!

Welcome to TRF

I agree with Mike. I had asked Rolex this about changing the arcylic on my Tudor sub to Sapphire and that is a big no no.
The lens won't sit right and it may not seal properly.......

Dont mess with the original..IMHO.

Flyjet601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2006, 03:01 PM   #8
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Hi and welcome to TRF.

I don't think the older cases and bezels are designed to absorb the exact fit of the sapphire crystals. You will have a waterproofing problem. Advise you leave it original....will have better value anyway.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2006, 07:04 PM   #9
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Welcome to TRF myself would not use a aftermarket crystal,with this you want a perfect fit and seal.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2006, 04:21 AM   #10
rmfnla
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the warm welcome as well as the numerous responses.

My main reason we scratch resistance, but since the unanimous consensus is to not mess with a good think I shall take all of your advice.

Thanks again!
Old 31 December 2006, 04:26 AM   #11
mrbieler
"TRF" Member

Watch: all about acrylic
Wear, enjoy it, and buy a tube or two of poly watch.

Cursimus Cum Forfex

mrbieler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2006, 04:28 AM   #12
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Thanks for the warm welcome as well as the numerous responses.

My main reason we scratch resistance, but since the unanimous consensus is to not mess with a good think I shall take all of your advice.

Thanks again!
In some ways myself prefer a acrylic crystal,scratches can be very easily polished out with polywatch.Sapphire although very hard to scratch it can chip especially around the edges.Once its chipped the only thing to do is replace the crystal.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2006, 04:59 AM   #13
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
In some ways myself prefer a acrylic crystal,scratches can be very easily polished out with polywatch.Sapphire although very hard to scratch it can chip especially around the edges.Once its chipped the only thing to do is replace the crystal.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2006, 06:25 AM   #14
armypilot
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1980 Rolex 16750
Definitely prefer the acrylic. Fine scratches polish right out with poly-watch or Brasso. I've even had some deep gouges over the years where I have very carefully shaven the sharp edges with a pen knife blade and used saliva as a lubricant and then finished it up with Brasso, can't tell a scratch was ever there. Scratch or chip the sapphire crystal and your only recourse is a new crystal.
armypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2006, 09:15 AM   #15
mikey
"TRF" Member

I like personal freedom, especially this for example
Attached Images
File Type: jpg diamond sub.jpg (23.1 KB, 58 views)
Old 31 December 2006, 09:25 AM   #16
colemanitis
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM 1090
I hated the acrylic on my old GMT 16750. I swear, I couldn't even clean the crystal with my t-shirt, it would leave fine swirl marks (scratches) when I did this. The edges on acrylic also chip, not just sapphire. I got a small chip on my acrylic at the 6:00 position - it drove me nuts. The crystal was the major reason I decided to trade it in for a more modern Rolex. Now I don't have to worry about scratches anymore! I love it!
Member #471
colemanitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2006, 09:59 AM   #17
Alcan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your P's & Q's
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Sapphire although very hard to scratch it can chip especially around the edges.Once its chipped the only thing to do is replace the crystal.
Yup, and they're $200 for a Sub at the Toronto RSC. Want to know how I know?
Alcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2006, 10:06 AM   #18
Alcan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your P's & Q's
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey View Post
I like personal freedom, especially this for example

The Rolex Submariner was developed as a tool or a piece of equipment for a specific purpose. The TT Sub is pushing the envelope as a tool watch, but honestly, what kind of tool would wear that gussied up Sub when there are so many obvious Rolex choices in bling watches?
Alcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2006, 10:37 AM   #19
mikey
"TRF" Member

I don't know, since I got the pic from the bay,. I love it. I wish it were my watch.