The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 January 2007, 07:19 PM   #1
tonelar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seadweller
New (to me) LV Sub

What y'all think? Just got this yesterday... thinking it'd make a great b-day gift for my dad...

Yeah I couldn't help myself... I had to try it on.

Wear 'em with PRIDE, y'all.
tonelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2007, 07:22 PM   #2
Blue Bull
Banned

Lucky Dad ..

Are you sure its for Dad ....Hmmmm ????
Blue Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2007, 07:28 PM   #3
tonelar
"TRF" Member

Last year I bought him one of those Dodge Magnum wagons...

I know... If I could only afford a second one for me.

Basically he put me through a high end University and I ended up a firefighter, so I feel like I owe him a lot more than a watch and a car...

Old 1 January 2007, 07:30 PM   #4
Blue Bull
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonelar View Post

Basically he put me through a high end University and I ended up a firefighter, so I feel like I owe him a lot more than a watch and a car...
He has a good son .
Blue Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2007, 07:36 PM   #5
tonelar
"TRF" Member

Thanks, Chris.

My youngest brother is working in the Philippines currently so I keep a GMT master II's as well as an Explorer's 24 hour hand on manila time... maybe I'll gift box him the LV(cause he likes green alot) but offer him a choice of that or the Explorer or the Pepsi GMT (since he doesn't dive he might want something lighter on his wrist).

heheh (ulterior motive here)...

Old 2 January 2007, 01:38 AM   #6
mike
"TRF" Member

Looks great!
Any of the watches you mentioned would make a wonderfull present. Good for you!
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2007, 03:59 AM   #7
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Great gift, Tony....your dad will be thrilled. He has a good son in you!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2007, 07:30 AM   #8
tonelar
"TRF" Member

Thanks y'all... hope everyone here is having a great 07 so far.

Here's a pic of the other two watches...

By the way I bought the LV from Milos (watchfan1)... he's a square dealer and a gentleman. I wanted to post a thanks in the For Sale forum, but don't have the time on forum yet to post in that section.

Old 2 January 2007, 07:41 AM   #9
tonyp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What y'all think? Just got this yesterday... thinking it'd make a great b-day gift for my dad...

Yeah I couldn't help myself... I had to try it on.
Wow I couldn't imagine what the look on his face would be. Got to be just stunned. I mean it must be a very very special thing to be given a Rolex. I only have ever heard of this happening with very large companies like CocaCola and Pan AM.
PS you should have him sit down first !!!!
tonyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2007, 08:00 AM   #10
tonelar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyp View Post
Wow I couldn't imagine what the look on his face would be. Got to be just stunned. I mean it must be a very very special thing to be given a Rolex. I only have ever heard of this happening with very large companies like CocaCola and Pan AM.
PS you should have him sit down first !!!!

I'll make sure he's sitting down, Tony.

My first Rolex was a graduation gift from my folks. So in a way they're responsible for this affliction...

P.S. I've heard of the Pan Am GMTs, but haven't heard about Coca Cola until today... there's got to be some cool Rolex stories out there, huh?

Old 2 January 2007, 08:00 AM   #11
tonyp
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Its way tuff to get on the fire department in indianapolis. My buddy is 6.8, started for University of Buffalo from his sophomore year up on their basketball program. He also has a license to buy and sell stocks but yeah they wouldn't take him and they pay insane amount of money $80,0000 plus bennys. I mean that might not sound like much on the west coast but in Indiana there are few jobs that pay like that!!!!!!!
tonyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2007, 08:16 AM   #12
tonelar
"TRF" Member

It's hard here as well (I wasn't hired for 9 years)... our pay is probably in scale with Indianapolis (+30%) considering cost of living out here is crazy expensive.
The point is that I didn't need my degree to get the job I'm holding down. My two brothers were also college educated and are both seeing their shares of success in the business world.

Wanna hear the strange part? Neither of them have the Rolexes my parents gave them... both have kinda' traded up.

Old 2 January 2007, 12:35 PM   #13
leopardprey
Banned

Watch: Panerai 233
I was a career firefighter as well in Indiana, after I graduated from University. Being a Fire Fighter was a great job and I really miss it at times. I left the fire department, cause I was offered some very high paying jobs overseas that made it hard for me to turn down. Been working overseas now for 3 years. I do miss the Fire Dept. job at times. Was a great job! I bet your dad is very proud of you being a fire fighter. Probably brags about you all the time. And I am sure he does not regret at all deep down inside of sending you to university. Getting a degree is not so much about getting a job, as it is getting an education. I know that my college degree and having a military background, is what got me hired on the fire dept, as it was very competitive to get on.

I think your dad will really love the Sub LV!! I am thinking of buying my Dad a Rolex as well! Maybe a Dayjust or Explorer 1 for him.
leopardprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2007, 10:17 PM   #14
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
leopardprey, I am still an employee of my fire dept and getting pay differential here. It is all going into one account that I am not touching, maybe I will get a Daytona out of it. Did you have to leave the FD or could you just get a leave of absence?
astcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2007, 10:44 PM   #15
leopardprey
Banned

Watch: Panerai 233
I had to resign, no leave of abscence. Actually thought I would be able to come back since I had Dept of Army orders, but when tried to get back on was told could not so was given choice to resign or be terminated. Really no legal ground since I was a civilian. I was pretty upset anyway, as with my Fire Dept, when I had left earlier after 911, with the Guard, I got a lot of flack from the Dept. Pissed me off. Sit around the fire station and everyone after 911 was talking about turning the middle east into a parking lot, and I am the only one who was in a position to actually act, so I re-enlisted and went to Afghan/Kosovo. Then I get flack. So after 1 year away, came back for 6 months with the Fire Dept and then Iraq was going on so went there for 6 months with Dept of Army contract. But, could not get back on with Fire Dept as they then said was a civilian. Never had anything in writing. Probably the reason they had to do it, there were several fire fighters who tried to get leaves of abscence while I was gone to works as KBR firefighters and the fire dept denied them.

All in all it worked out, as have had many adventures in Cambodia and Iraq since and have made a very good salary compared to the the fire dept. But I do miss the Fire Dept. at times. But with the money I have earned over the last 3 years, I will be able to retire in 1 year when I am 40 - move to southeast Asia, find a wife, raise a family, travel, write, have more adventures and contemplate Rolex watches.

Did not mean to get this thread off topic!
leopardprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2007, 11:05 PM   #16
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
It took 15 posts to get this thread off topic! We're slipping!

I am here under the auspices of the US Army so have the military leave benefits, no matter how long I stay. I guess if I wanted back as a civilian I'd have to leave the County. Hard to do after 16 years there but I would think about it long and hard. The retirement package is killer.
astcell is offline   Reply With Quote