The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 January 2007, 03:42 PM   #1
spadinasteve
"TRF" Member

Rolex Explorer gp oyster perpetyal

I am looking for any info pertaining to This watch , It has a unique face which is two tone gold on dark blue (center)
spadinasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2007, 05:39 PM   #2
leopardprey
Banned

Watch: Panerai 233
THe Explorer 1 is only made one way, and that is Black Face and Stainless Steel.
leopardprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2007, 07:28 PM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
THe Explorer 1 is only made one way, and that is Black Face and Stainless Steel.
Sorry not correct there are many vintage variations of the Explorer, TT, gold capped etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadinasteve View Post
I am looking for any info pertaining to This watch , It has a unique face which is two tone gold on dark blue (center)
During the early days of the Explorer, Rolex was unsure of the model's potential. As a result the name was affixed to a number of watches not immediately recognisable as Explorers. Today the name and the look are so intimately entwined it seems ridiculous to apply the name to watches which were so obviously not what we would call Explorers. But it happened, and the results are some of the rarest Explorer models known. There were two distinct variations on the theme and they seem to have been aimed at two distinct markets. The first was the so-called "Air-King" Explorer. This was an Explorer bearing the 5500 model number usually applied to the Air-King, but with an Explorer dial that is marked "Precision" rather than the "Superlative Chronometer Officially Certified" we would expect to see.

The second variation on the theme are "dress Explorers." These are standard Oyster Perpetuals in steel or gold with white (or more rarely, black) non-Explorer dials featuring gold markers and hands, but signed "Explorer" on the dials. Seen in both date and non-date forms, these watches all seem to have been sold in the North American market.The 1016 Explorer was the longest running of all the models, being in production from 1963 right through to 1989.The 1016 also exists with another name on the dial: "Space Dweller." The model was first introduced into the Japanese market in 1963, just after a visit to Japan by the Mercury astronauts.

Below is a picture of a 60s Ref 5501 TT Rolex Explorer cal 1530 movement

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2007, 07:34 PM   #4
leopardprey
Banned

Watch: Panerai 233
Thanks Padi for the info! I was referring to current the current Explorer 1 model, as I was afraid our poster was looking at a fake maybe on Ebay.

Man, I would love to have one of those "non-standard" Rolex Explorers!

Nice Photo!!
leopardprey is offline   Reply With Quote