The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 January 2007, 01:46 PM   #1
bellaroxio
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT/Royal Oak
Advice please - what is so special of Explorer with ORANGE hand

Please educate me. I need to make an informed decision. Either buy it or trade my Daytona SS/white.
bellaroxio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2007, 02:12 PM   #2
karwath
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570 white
Someone else with more information will chime in, but the 1655 Explorer II with the orange 4th hand was made for only a few years. Sometimes called the "Steve McQueen" Rolex.
karwath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2007, 02:44 PM   #3
mike
"TRF" Member

Well, the Explorer II reference 1655 was first introduced circa 1971 as an answer created by Rolex to meet a specific need as a professional/recreational tool for speleologists. Because it was determined that those exploring caves/underground enviornments lost all sence of daylight or darkness, Rolex designed a watch that could give normal 12 hr time plus a 24 hour configuration.
This was done by adaptation of the GMT-MASTER with a fixed 24 hr. bezel.
Both the 12 hour hand and the orange 24 hour hand were synced together.
The large 24 hour hand was used in leiu of the smaller GMT 24 hr.hand because it was found to be easier to read in the enviornment in which these people worked.

Rolex used either a 1570 or 1575 movement based on what was available from stock. The first versions had what became known as a straight second hand (no luminous dot) while latter versions (circa the mid-70s) added a luminous dot to the second hand. Value wise I'm not sure there's a great difference.
The dial of the 1655 is/was unique to the reference in that not only did it have the normal hour markers, but sub markers between.
Curiously, the 1655 was not a popular watch during it's run which ended in the mid 80s as many found the dial cluttered and hard to read.
One of the most easily faked vintage pieces many try to pass off as geninue a 1655 dial and hands (also unique to the reference) in the thinner 1675 GMT-MASTER case.
The 1655 also had a very odd looking coronet sometimes called a frog's foot.
The 1655 was replaced in 1985 by the reference 16550 bearing the more familiar look we see today.
The reference as the "McQueen" seems to be based on the proposition Steve McQueen wor a 1655 in the movie "The Towering Inferno" There is no evidence McQueen wore one in real life. History seems to indicate he prefered a 5512 or 5513.
Today examples in good condition can fall in the 12k to 16k range depending on condition and box & paper.

mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2007, 03:08 PM   #4
leopardprey
Banned

Watch: Panerai 233
That is a great looking watch. Can the 24 hour hand be set at a different time zone? as the current Explorer II ?
leopardprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2007, 03:12 PM   #5
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
That is a great looking watch. Can the 24 hour hand be set at a different time zone? as the current Explorer II ?
No, they're synced together.
Old 13 January 2007, 04:45 PM   #6
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
If they are synced together, how do you set them in the first place?
astcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2007, 07:29 PM   #7
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by astcell View Post
If they are synced together, how do you set them in the first place?
I believe thay move together when you set the time. If you look at the pic that Mike posted, the time is 4:00pm. The 24hr hand is at 1600.
Old 13 January 2007, 08:04 PM   #8
astcell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
I believe thay move together when you set the time. If you look at the pic that Mike posted, the time is 4:00pm. The 24hr hand is at 1600.
Oh so you have 12 and 24 hour versions of the local time? What a rip off.
Old 13 January 2007, 11:33 PM   #9
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Curious why you feel that way? Rolex never marketed the watch as a GMT. People that bought it knew it wasn't a GMT. I agree it's not as versatile as the GMT, but as with the GMT, a watch made by Rolex for a specific function.
Old 14 January 2007, 12:26 AM   #10
SDman

Watch: Sea Dweller
That's a very good point Mike.....
SDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2007, 01:31 AM   #11
astcell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
Curious why you feel that way? Rolex never marketed the watch as a GMT. People that bought it knew it wasn't a GMT. I agree it's not as versatile as the GMT, but as with the GMT, a watch made by Rolex for a specific function.
Oh if it was not meant to be a GMT that's fine then. I wonder if it sold better in Europe where 24 hour clocks are more common.
Old 14 January 2007, 03:45 AM   #12
Spark
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too Many
Explorer II 4th Hand

The Explorer II 4th hand on the Orange hand Explorer was for the use of Explorers or more to the point cave explorers/pot holers.
As with most Rolex sports models they were designed as work watches and the theory behind the Orange hand as a 24 hour hand was once the wearer had been under ground for 24 hours plus the wearer would quickly lose the notion of day/night and wouldn't be able to tell whether the time was am or pm, but with the hand hey presto they knew.
The watch has very limited uses like the Milgause, but they obviously thought it was a good idea at the time and the dial is great.
Sorry, but I have to use this thread as another poor excuse to post a pic of my 1655.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Explorer 1.jpg (56.9 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg Explorer 4.jpg (65.4 KB, 175 views)
Spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2007, 03:51 AM   #13
maverick
Banned

Watch: Rolex
They are very nice watches. I would like to own one but for 12-16K I'll pass. They are now overpriced IMHO. I'd rather have a GMT which has a moveable bezel. =) maverick
maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2007, 04:27 PM   #14
tonelar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seadweller
It's definitely a unique model...

nice pics

Wear 'em with PRIDE, y'all.
tonelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2007, 08:45 PM   #15
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick View Post
They are very nice watches. I would like to own one but for 12-16K I'll pass. They are now overpriced IMHO. I'd rather have a GMT which has a moveable bezel. =) maverick
Agree up to a point Dennis its just because there are in reality not many around.Like the Milgause if we was all honest, its only there rarity and perhaps there lightening bolt hands that make them now very collectible.They were not a big selling watch and IMO not a particularly attractive one.You could say the same thing about the 6263/5 Daytona's,and I am sure if the word Rolex was not on the dial.And the current over hyped Daytona fever,they would not be all that much sort after.Like so many other fine Swiss brands same Valjoux 72 movement watches,that you buy quite cheaply now.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2007, 08:03 AM   #16
RolexKing9
"TRF" Member

Icon20 After 1655 then 16550

After 1655 then 16550!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rolex 16550 Ivory Dial.jpg (131.6 KB, 132 views)
RolexKing9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2007, 08:23 AM   #17
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Oh if it was not meant to be a GMT that's fine then. I wonder if it sold better in Europe where 24 hour clocks are more common.
I think it was geared toward cave explorers who needed to know whether it was AM or PM. When they were in the caves long enough, not being able to see the sun would throw their awareness of day and night off.
Old 10 May 2007, 08:32 AM   #18
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark View Post
The Explorer II 4th hand on the Orange hand Explorer was for the use of Explorers or more to the point cave explorers/pot holers.
As with most Rolex sports models they were designed as work watches and the theory behind the Orange hand as a 24 hour hand was once the wearer had been under ground for 24 hours plus the wearer would quickly lose the notion of day/night and wouldn't be able to tell whether the time was am or pm, but with the hand hey presto they knew.
The watch has very limited uses like the Milgause, but they obviously thought it was a good idea at the time and the dial is great.
Sorry, but I have to use this thread as another poor excuse to post a pic of my 1655.
Spark,

I love that watch of yours....always admired it!! Very nice!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2007, 09:41 AM   #19
Flyjet601
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Quote:

I dont get it either .....dont see the purpose of the orange hand if it cant be set independantly.
Why does the watch need 2 hands indicating the same time?
Flyjet601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2007, 09:42 AM   #20
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyjet601 View Post
I dont get it either .....dont see the purpose of the orange hand if it cant be set independantly.
Why does the watch need 2 hands indicating the same time?
I think it was geared toward cave explorers who needed to know whether it was AM or PM. When they were in the caves long enough, not being able to see the sun would throw their awareness of day and night off.
Old 10 May 2007, 09:43 AM   #21
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellaroxio View Post
Please educate me. I need to make an informed decision. Either buy it or trade my Daytona SS/white.
The special thing about it is that it is a prototype of the "Clownmaster III".

Rolex designers thought: "If customers will buy THIS, they'll buy anything"

So in 2007, Rolex finally had the courage to take the giant leap and launch the Clownmaster III.

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2007, 11:34 AM   #22
Incurable
"TRF" Member

Watch: your P's and Q's
My mind keeps returning to... just how many people in the world at any given time need the explained functionality of the Explorer II. Are cave dwellers a significant market or demographic? I understand making a tool watch aimed at a specific occupation but... wouldn't offering watches for those in high shock environments or even those with poor eyesight have greater potential than those who spend their time in caves?

Rolex GMT Master II 16710 (Blk/Blk)
Rolex Explorer 114270
Sinn 356 Sa Flieger
Limes Endurance 1Tausend
Too many others...

It may seem like I'm doing nothing but, at a cellular level, I'm actually quite busy...
Incurable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2007, 11:37 AM   #23
leopardprey
Banned

Watch: Panerai 233
My mind keeps returning to... just how many people in the world at any given time need the explained functionality of the Explorer II. Are cave dwellers a significant market or demographic? I understand making a tool watch aimed at a specific occupation but... wouldn't offering watches for those in high shock environments or even those with poor eyesight have greater potential than those who spend their time in caves?__________________

Agree. Must have been someone high up in the Rolex Management that was into caving! Myself, have not been caving for about 20 years.
leopardprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2007, 12:24 PM   #24
mikey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oysterdate 6694
Besides the supposed function of the 1655, the 1655 is an awesome looking Rolex. I could care less if it was for cavemen (sorry geico).
mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2007, 12:26 PM   #25
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey View Post
Besides the supposed function of the 1655, the 1655 is an awesome looking Rolex. I could care less if it was for cavemen (sorry geico).
Maybe that was the reasoning behind the orange not being able to move independently.

"So simple, a caveman can use it"
Old 10 May 2007, 03:10 PM   #26
TARDIS
"TRF" Member

It's not just for cave dwellers. The watch has the 24 hr function for space travellers as well. How about Submariners in a nuke sub who are down there for weeks on end? Suppose you were taken hostage and thrown into a windowless cell. How would you know what hour of the day/night it was. In Antarctica, the day/night is 6 months each way.
TARDIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2007, 03:12 PM   #27
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.J. View Post
Maybe that was the reasoning behind the orange not being able to move independently.

"So simple, a caveman can use it"
Yes...and it also helped simplify the caveman's sex life!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2007, 05:41 PM   #28
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexKing9 View Post
After 1655 then 16550!
Very nice.

If the 24 hour hand moves with the standard hour hand and can't be adjusted independently shouldn't the 24 hour hand be on 21 1/4 or am I a

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2007, 06:02 PM   #29
Incurable
"TRF" Member

Watch: your P's and Q's
Quote:
Originally Posted by TARDIS View Post
It's not just for cave dwellers. The watch has the 24 hr function for space travellers as well. How about Submariners in a nuke sub who are down there for weeks on end? Suppose you were taken hostage and thrown into a windowless cell. How would you know what hour of the day/night it was. In Antarctica, the day/night is 6 months each way.
Good points... also good for computer addicts who sit at the computer all hours of the day and night, shades drawn, posting replies to every thread on watch forums...

Rolex GMT Master II 16710 (Blk/Blk)
Rolex Explorer 114270
Sinn 356 Sa Flieger
Limes Endurance 1Tausend
Too many others...

It may seem like I'm doing nothing but, at a cellular level, I'm actually quite busy...
Incurable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2007, 06:18 PM   #30
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incurable View Post
Good points... also good for computer addicts who sit at the computer all hours of the day and night, shades drawn, posting replies to every thread on watch forums...
A watch for all JJ's.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote