The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 July 2010, 02:39 PM   #1
Amiamit
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex no-date Sub
The most 'potential abuse' you put your Rolex through?

I wear a non date sub bought in May 2010. It hasn't left my wrist since I bought it and so I find myself wearing it to the gym. It mostly sits on a bench while I lift weights. I find myself keeping a hawk eye on it which is cool, its never more that 5 feet away from me and the gym never has more than 4-5 people.

I do wear it while on the treadmill.
(And I do rinse it off most days to wash off (some) sweat!)

I could keep a cheap watch in my bag and swap - in fact I'll start tomorrow for sure :-)

But heres wondering what 'unnecessary stress' you've subject/ed your watches to?
Amiamit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2010, 02:41 PM   #2
Amiamit
"TRF" Member

'pit' in the subject = 'put'
But was that a subliminal fear of corroding my watch with sweat expressing itself??? Hmmm
Old 13 July 2010, 04:14 PM   #3
sakuraba
"TRF" Member

Watch: sun dial
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiamit View Post
But was that a subliminal fear of corroding my watch with sweat expressing itself??? Hmmm
Freudian slip!
T 16600 SD
D 16610 LV

"fine quality is remembered long after the pain of spending money" -Steve Mulholland
sakuraba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2010, 04:22 PM   #4
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
You're much more trusting of your fellow man than I am. Gyms are notorious for thefts of valuables and 5' can be a hell of a long way to protect your valuables when you've got 200# on your chest.
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2010, 04:29 PM   #5
jonathon555
"TRF" Member

My watch once went in the shower.

Then had to get rid of the water marks.
jonathon555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2010, 04:30 PM   #6
dannyp
Banned

I wouldn't wear it to the gym for the following reasons:

1. theft, obvious
2. weight/plate dropped on it by accident if someone's not careful
3. I can't imagine that the constant, high-speed arm swing of the treadmill is good for it, like golf

Most potential abuse for me: running across the street when the "don't walk" starts blinking
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2010, 05:03 PM   #7
JohnKrist

Watch: 16014
My watch stays on the arm all the time except at night and in the shower. The reason I don't wear it in the shower is that I don't want soap and shampoo residue in the bracelet.

Carpenting, car repairs or just going on a roller coaster, the Rolex stays on!
JohnKrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2010, 07:22 PM   #8
Atomant
"TRF" Member

I do wear it on the treadmill and during my weight sessions though I took extra care and precaution. That's about the most abuse my watches take. Or a diving trip.
Old 13 July 2010, 08:01 PM   #9
Rob_b
"TRF" Member

Watch: SeaDweller
Icon7

A couple of weeks ago, I went over the handle bars of my bike in a gravel trap. SD perfect - Ego, not so good. Does that count?

Here's a pick of my bike at the track

Here's my bike after my altercation

Travelling Through Time at The Speed of Life.
Rob_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2010, 08:10 PM   #10
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
Quote:
i thought the abuse would be to put it under your arm pit
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2010, 08:37 PM   #11
kel

Never took my sea dweller off for three years..... It went through the following.....

WORK: Shot blasting. Industrial/Marine painting. Welding, grinding & cutting. Steel erecting. Panel beating. Plant & Equipment servicing. Surveying & inspecting. Office & meetings.

PLAY: Swimming. Diving. Sea fishing. Motocrossing, quadding & track days. Days out & days in.

Whatever I was doing my dweller was with me..... it still looks good but these days it gets a break now and again..... Still my No. 1 watch.
kel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2010, 09:03 PM   #12
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
I wear a non date sub bought in May 2010. It hasn't left my wrist since I bought it and so I find myself wearing it to the gym. It mostly sits on a bench while I lift weights. I find myself keeping a hawk eye on it which is cool, its never more that 5 feet away from me and the gym never has more than 4-5 people.

I do wear it while on the treadmill.
(And I do rinse it off most days to wash off (some) sweat!)

I could keep a cheap watch in my bag and swap - in fact I'll start tomorrow for sure :-)

But heres wondering what 'unnecessary stress' you've subject/ed your watches to?
Abuse you must be having a joke,reading the many posts on TRF,most Rolex watches today get a very pampered life.And with the many questions about how strong the 904L steel is,in todays Rolex watch mostly pampered world they could make them today out of glass.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2010, 09:13 PM   #13
Lol-x
Facilitator

Rob B that's a beautiful bike man

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2010, 12:55 AM   #14
Zed Homme
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
My watches go diving with me all the time, beyond that, they dont take any special wear and tear beyond the usual. Personally, I cannot fathom why people wear expensive (or inexpensive) watches to the gym. If youre lifting weights and you leave your watch sitting on the next bench over, what statement are you trying to make?
Zed Homme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2010, 05:14 AM   #15
mike
"TRF" Member

Wore my 1675 way back when through jungle school. Tell you the truth my body didn't care much for it either.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2010, 05:50 AM   #16
Sixxgrand1
Banned

Watch: EXP I & II
Worn through life....

I have never perceived any Rolex I have owned as jewelry. I have worn them all through everything I do which includes a short list of fishing, hunting, landscaping (gas weedeater for days clearing), chopping wood, sleeping, in the shower and hot tubs, covered in mud when we ran our boat a-ground last week at the cabin...built to take anything..one posted said "if your arm can take it your Rolex can take it" Agreed 110%
Sixxgrand1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2010, 09:36 AM   #17
rmfnla
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ
I play golf with my DJ on.

That may not sound like abuse, but you've never seen me play!
rmfnla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2010, 10:41 AM   #18
Perdu
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Street basketball.

Benson 1937 Sterling Silver Hunter
Perdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2010, 11:12 AM   #19
ArcticMoose
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Never take it off, for anything. Safest place is on the wrist.

100627-Sub2.jpg
ArcticMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2010, 11:15 AM   #20
ibramr
"TRF" Member

I exposed an airking date (acquired during my study years in England close to 30 years ago) to all sports and soical activities you can think of. The list includes water sports (snorkling, and scuba diving to 30 feet), soccer, squash racket, most motor sports, cross country skiing, canoeing, hiking and raising up two boys and a nephew. With de minims periodic services with an AD, this watch still looks like new.

Another champ is 6694 (vintage of 1953) inhereted from my grandfather recieved not dissimlar treatment (except diving). Again, with timely service with an AD, the watch still looks like new.

DJ 16031 has seen little action, and is treated with more care and attention. Why? It is TT and on a leather strap. I am also much older, slower, and socialize more. Somehow, its design asks for care and cuation.

Finally, a GMT-II...never leaves my wrist, and have actually took it to the pool the other day.

Maybe with the exception of the DJ, I did not think of Rolexes as jewellery. They are reliable systems, and have been used as such. DJ has a social function, hence, treated with accordingly.

I guess the important thing is to enjoy what we have and make use of the fact that nothing in Rolex that can not be fixed. My 2 cents.
ibramr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2010, 12:57 PM   #21
dannynoonan
"TRF" Member

Snowmobile riding, shoveling snow, putting a snowplow on a polaris, plumbing, swimming, stone veneer on the house, tile work, framing, trim work, car stuff, mountain biking, golf, running, chopping wood, weekly shooting of pistols and rifles, tennis, camping, fishing, wakeboarding, tubing, waterparks, treadmill, weighlifting. I've had may watch a year and a few months and I don't take it off before I do anything.
dannynoonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2010, 01:36 PM   #22
Amiamit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by htc8p View Post
i thought the abuse would be to put it under your arm pit
If I did that after the gym then the watch would die
Old 14 July 2010, 01:49 PM   #23
SLS
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT's & Sub's
I have worn my SD through most everything, Mountain Biking...the watch damn near broke my wrist though!, running, skiing, fishing, golf, baseball, surfing, body surfing, using a jack hammer, impact wrench, hammer etc etc. Aside from some slight scratches, the watch runs & looks great. Trust me, the watch will outlast you!
Scott

Member No. 922
SLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2010, 01:52 PM   #24
Boopie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Whoah (to the OP)...I would never take off a watch, let alone a Rolex, at the gym. I advise against doing that.

I have a set of free weights at home, and take off my watch when I work out at home. I am worried about scratching the crystal. But, when I'm on the road and visit a gym while traveling, I do wear my Yachtmaster. I figure the risk of loss from my hotel room is greater than the risk of damage, and I'm just extra-careful when I'm lifting weights.

I also take off my watch for various home improvement projects at home, due to concern over damage to the watch. Although I wouldn't say any of these are dangerous activities, I do wear my watch when playing tennis, swimming (pool or ocean), shooting at the range, riding my kids' Razor scooter, etc.
Boopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2010, 01:54 PM   #25
robrobin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi Rolex GMT
Working on the exhaust system of my car.........

took it off, laid it gently on the ground.....and then drove over it when I drove off to test the car......messed up bracelet but the case was fine.
robrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2010, 02:29 PM   #26
sleddog
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobin View Post
took it off, laid it gently on the ground.....and then drove over it when I drove off to test the car......messed up bracelet but the case was fine.
Ouch......I would be so pi$$ed at myself if I did that!!!

If you consider everyday life to be abuse,then that's what mine go through!!
They are NEVER off the wrist,including showers and sleeping...24/7/365 through thick and thin......and their starting to hold up better than me.

TRF's "After Dark" Bar & Nightclub Patron-Founding Member..
sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2010, 05:43 PM   #27
colpol
"TRF" Member

I tend to just put my SD on in the morning & it stays on until night when I go to bed no matter what I do in although there are a few exceptions.

However - lets be sensible about this. If I'm in the garage doing an oil\ filter change on my bike - I'm gonna take it off. If I'm in the garden doing a few hours manual labour with tools - the chances of damage increase 10 fold. Whats it going to prove keeping it on all the time. Hey look at me - I've got an SD thats got more scratches & scrapes than you've had hot dinners ........ !!! Yeah wonderful. Lets face it - all this bullsh*t about tool watches, all environments etc. In terms of SD's\ Subs I'd bet most of us aren't Saturation divers or work as divers - desk divers in most cases. We want our watchs to look good & as far as possible only have superficial scratches\ scrapes

I've a seiko skx007 which I tend to use when out on my bicycle. Mainly cos if I'm putting in a hard shift - the rubber diver strap tends to stretch\ feel more comfortable than a metal strap

colpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2010, 06:38 PM   #28
Amiamit
"TRF" Member

@colpol - that is a gorgeous picture!
Old 14 July 2010, 07:57 PM   #29
Gasoil4ever
"TRF" Member

Watch: GS Snowflake
I wear mine most of the time, and almost anywhere in the world you can see my threads with pictures of my GMT all over the place.

Nevertheless i take it off when unecessary : Gym, Running, Paragliding, house work, moving furniture. I have G Shocks for that !

Why ? Simply because it took some serious financial effort to get it, my watch is definitely not a safe queen, but i avoid unecessary risk.

If you need to do some serious off roading, you can use a 500bhp Porsche Cayenne... or a Heavy Duty Land Cruiser, to each is own... i'd use a Land Cruiser...and would go way further...
Old 14 July 2010, 09:36 PM   #30
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

A true voice of reason. I totally agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colpol View Post
I tend to just put my SD on in the morning & it stays on until night when I go to bed no matter what I do in although there are a few exceptions.

However - lets be sensible about this. If I'm in the garage doing an oil\ filter change on my bike - I'm gonna take it off. If I'm in the garden doing a few hours manual labour with tools - the chances of damage increase 10 fold. Whats it going to prove keeping it on all the time. Hey look at me - I've got an SD thats got more scratches & scrapes than you've had hot dinners ........ !!! Yeah wonderful. Lets face it - all this bullsh*t about tool watches, all environments etc. In terms of SD's\ Subs I'd bet most of us aren't Saturation divers or work as divers - desk divers in most cases. We want our watchs to look good & as far as possible only have superficial scratches\ scrapes

I've a seiko skx007 which I tend to use when out on my bicycle. Mainly cos if I'm putting in a hard shift - the rubber diver strap tends to stretch\ feel more comfortable than a metal strap

Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote