The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 November 2010, 06:32 PM   #1
slevin kelevra
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060m
Accuracy!

What is acceptable in the real world??

I know its meant to be plus 6 minus 4 but to me that is just too much of a deviation.

My 14060m is losing 6 seconds per 24 hours. I have tested this rigorously over the past few months.

The watch is 1 year old next month and has been back to the RSC twice already for regulation. The first occassion it was magnetised then when they returned it, it was still gaining about 5 seconds per day so I sent it back again. The reason I sent it back again is before it got magnetised it was almost bang on accurate with only half a second devaition. When I got it back the second time it was plus 3 seconds which I was happy with.

I tested the accuracy of the watch a few times and it was consistently plus 3 seconds so that was that. I left if for a few months before checking it again then when I did I found it has now increased to the plus 6 seconds I mention above..

I wear the watch every day, all day and it sits crown up when I'm in bed (which is almost always for the same ammount of time).

Now I am trying to talk myself out of sending to the RSC again as I realise it will take forever to come back to me but I just cant really accept that the watch is gaining so much time.

What would you do?? Put up with it or send it back for further regulation??

Thanks
slevin kelevra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2010, 06:46 PM   #2
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Have it regulated to your standard.

It is your Rolex and you need to be happy with it IMO.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2010, 06:55 PM   #3
slevin kelevra
"TRF" Member

That is the way I feel about it. I love my watch but I'm the kind of person that likes to know my watch is as accurate as it can be (sad I know!)
Old 24 November 2010, 07:50 PM   #4
Newportkrieger
Banned

Watch: GMT Master Pepsi
My E series GMT 16700 gains approx. 1 sec per week. I am amazed and very pleased. It therefore has earned the right to be my daily wear watch.
Newportkrieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2010, 08:50 PM   #5
xjeeunitx
2024 Pledge Member

There are 86,400 seconds in a day. 6 out of 86,400? That's damn near perfect.

I wouldn't worry about it too much.

But to each, his own. Good luck.
xjeeunitx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2010, 11:21 PM   #6
RRGHOST1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex TT SubC Blue
I think someone here is trying to get it as accurate as a Quartz watch which a mechanical watch will never be. The obsession is quite amusing really,i dont know how they get through the day knowing their watch is so inaccurate by a few seconds here and there.
RRGHOST1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2010, 11:37 PM   #7
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
If it's running consistent just get it regulated, no worries.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2010, 11:48 PM   #8
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjeeunitx View Post

Have to agree with above, you guys and your watches got to make me smile a watch showing 99.994% accuracy and not happy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexplorer2 View Post
I think someone here is trying to get it as accurate as a Quartz watch which a mechanical watch will never be. The obsession is quite amusing really,i dont know how they get through the day knowing their watch is so inaccurate by a few seconds here and there.
Have to agree perhaps this is the start of the Rolex watch accuracy syndrome.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2010, 11:51 PM   #9
austinnh

You don't have to get it regulated at an AD. Any good watchmaker can do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexplorer2 View Post
I think someone here is trying to get it as accurate as a Quartz watch which a mechanical watch will never be.
Um... many Rolexes are as accurate is a quartz watch. Such as Newportkrieger's above, and mine, which is just under +1 a day.
austinnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2010, 11:55 PM   #10
smallcandle
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, Omega PO
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnh View Post
Um... many Rolexes are as accurate is a quartz watch. Such as Newportkrieger's above, and mine, which is just under +1 a day.
That may very well be, but your watch would be considered the exception and not the rule.

Things got out of control and I had to stab a clown...
smallcandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2010, 11:57 PM   #11
R1@160@alltimes
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♛
+1 -1sec...does not concern me in the least. The watch is accurate and makes me happy-that's all that matters.
Old 25 November 2010, 12:19 AM   #12
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Have to agree with above, you guys and your watches got to make me smile a watch showing 99.994% accuracy and not happy..

Have to agree perhaps this is the start of the Rolex watch accuracy syndrome.
LOL--Exactly what I was thinking....I hate when I am 6 seconds late to a meeting!!!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2010, 12:54 AM   #13
FinbarSaunders

Watch: Rolex GMT-IIc
I set my GMT-IIc last on 5th November. Today is 24th Nov, and it's lost 1 second since then. Pretty awesome timekeeping!

So it loses 0.0526315789 seconds a day :-)
FinbarSaunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2010, 02:06 AM   #14
mkw
"TRF" Member

Watch: RB GMT II 3186
You're aware of posts mentioning the sometimes large magnetic fields next to some lap top computer /Ipad/cell phone charger connection ports and various " night stand " induction recharging plate devices and such , right ?
Could you be using or resting your watch too close to said locations ?
mkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2010, 02:11 AM   #15
conrail
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjeeunitx View Post

People obsess about a few seconds instead of just enjoying their watch - but if that prevents your enjoyment I guess you need to get it regulated even more. Thats the beauty of life - you can do as you please
Old 25 November 2010, 02:14 AM   #16
conrail
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slevin kelevra View Post

Thanks
Its hardly "putting up with it" - IMO your watch is running perfect, stop obsessing over it to the nearest second - a few seconds here and there don't matter in terms of general time keeping (which your mechanical watch is merely an instrument of). Its also a beautiful piece of mechanics and jewelry all bundled into one.

If you really are worried about a few seconds here and there buy a quartz watch because your mechanical watch is going to drive you nuts forever
Old 25 November 2010, 02:25 AM   #17
JBat
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16610, DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by slevin kelevra View Post
What is acceptable in the real world??

I know its meant to be plus 6 minus 4 but to me that is just too much of a deviation.

My 14060m is losing 6 seconds per 24 hours. I have tested this rigorously over the past few months.

The watch is 1 year old next month and has been back to the RSC twice already for regulation. The first occassion it was magnetised then when they returned it, it was still gaining about 5 seconds per day so I sent it back again. The reason I sent it back again is before it got magnetised it was almost bang on accurate with only half a second devaition. When I got it back the second time it was plus 3 seconds which I was happy with.

I tested the accuracy of the watch a few times and it was consistently plus 3 seconds so that was that. I left if for a few months before checking it again then when I did I found it has now increased to the plus 6 seconds I mention above..

I wear the watch every day, all day and it sits crown up when I'm in bed (which is almost always for the same ammount of time).

Now I am trying to talk myself out of sending to the RSC again as I realise it will take forever to come back to me but I just cant really accept that the watch is gaining so much time.

Thanks
You will drive yourself nuts obsessing over a few seconds a day. Anything within the COSC spec is very, very good. Like others have said, losing or gaining a few seconds out of 86,400 is remarkable precision. Just wear and enjoy your watch.
JBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2010, 03:22 AM   #18
clb521
"TRF" Member

My sub is spot on accurate after I had it adjusted by a qualified person. He watchman I took mine to told me it takes a couple of hours to dial in the timing on a Rolex. What he did was adjusted it and then gave me a report of the timing in 5 positions. Crown up/down, dial up/down and then 12 oclock up. With the report you will know what position to leave your watch at night to gain or lose a few seconds. Don't be fooled by being told they have to do a full service on it also. I had a few people tell me they would have to do a full service if they opened my watch.

Find a good watchman, question him and then use him if he passes. Make sure they have an authorized parts account with Rolex too.
clb521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2010, 03:42 AM   #19
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkw View Post
You're aware of posts mentioning the sometimes large magnetic fields next to some lap top computer /Ipad/cell phone charger connection ports and various " night stand " induction recharging plate devices and such , right ?
Could you be using or resting your watch too close to said locations ?
. If a watch get magnetised first symtoms they normally speed up and not by a couple of seconds .And they run very very erratic or come to a complete stop and refuse to start.Rolex watches over the past 40 years have been very anti-magnetic and mainy made from S.steel or precious metals and in conjunction with nickel, brass or beryllium, bronze or Glucydur balance wheels so they were very anti-magnetic to begin with not sure if the screws used are ferrous metal.Sure the Nivourax hairsprings were very very very slightly magnetic plus the mainspring. But watch would have to come in contact with a strong magnetic field,IMHO magnetised is often used as a cop out for just simple regulation.

And the Swiss standard test for anti-magnetic watches which most Swiss watches have to pass including Rolex.It is to withstand a strong magnetic field of 4800 Amps per meter,and to keeps on running with a maximum deviation of 15- 30 seconds per day.Now this test I am 100% sure that 90% of all watch wearers would never subject or come into contact with such a strong magnetic field.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2010, 03:50 AM   #20
oo7

Get an OysterQuartz donor and swap the movement. I have an OQ #17000 and none of my mech's satisfy my accuracy desire after wearing it a while. I love the OQ.
oo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2010, 03:50 AM   #21
Clay
Banned

?????
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2010, 05:02 AM   #22
FlyingMoose
"TRF" Member

If it's still under warranty, call Rolex Dallas and have them send you a box.

It'll cost you about $25 for registered mail to send it in.

My Sub LV was all over the place (varied between about +10 and -10, seemingly dependent on the weather).

I just got it back, and it gained about 4 seconds the first day (probably because it stopped in the mail), and it's been almost exactly spot-on since then. It's gained about a second in a week.
FlyingMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2010, 10:59 AM   #23
vintage69
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1969 p date
Unless perfection is needed, your watch is working correct. Remeber, Rolex owners are always on time.
vintage69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2010, 12:55 PM   #24
jrssv

All three of my Rolex watches gain 5 seconds a day. I adjust them to be 30 seconds behind what my atomic clocks says. That's ten days when I know I am within 30 seconds of the correct time. I've never needed to be more precise than that. Ask twenty people in a room what time it is and I bet you'll get a four or five minute spread. I believe life's too short to worry about two or three seconds a day.
jrssv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2010, 10:57 PM   #25
slevin kelevra
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the responses. A few I was expecting and to be honest I wish I was the kind of person that didnt care how accurate my watch was. But I do so there!

I also think I have the right to have my watch be as accurate as it can be, which it currently isnt!

I enjoy my watch immensely but part of that enjoyment is knowing that it operates as well as it possibly can.

When I got it, it was bang on then it got magnetised. It was returned to me and was + 3 then about 6 months down the line its now +6 so what happens in another 6 months when its more than +6?

I reckon I should just send it away now. I didnt expect to pay so much for a watch and for it to have to be sent back to Rolex every 6 months or so.

And also a few people mentioned a Rolex being affected by magnetic fields from computers and iPads. Come on! So we cant wear Rolexs if your using a PC or an iPad???
Old 27 November 2010, 06:05 PM   #26
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
I can sympathise with this poster.

My Sub gains about two mins per month but my Daytona does not gain or loose at all. I know two mins per month is not the end of the world but I would really like the Sub to be as accurate as the Daytona. Could I send the Sub to Rolex and get them to regulate it for more accuracy, if so , does anyone know how much this would cost in the UK?

Many thanks.
ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2010, 06:20 PM   #27
Sixxgrand1
Banned

Watch: EXP I & II
This is a past time....

After all of the accuracy posts..I bleed painlessly...

How many of us WIS have paid thousands for a watch with the accuracy priority a bottom notion...?

and then sending them to an RSC or what ever to make them closer to perfect because after all we first paid Rolex thousands and thousands for a perfect horological piece of wrist watch time history.....or so we dream.....

will the day ever come when we realize that we are buying (by the thousands....paying thousands for each example...) to a company that while breaking horilogical history - that the price we pay is not worthy of what we are receiving.....?

I know and we know that they know. What would be the result if Rolex knew and understood that the product they claim (with failing QC..) was nothing more then a sharp product marketing skam.

Now lets not climb on the horse about how robust and bulletproof Rolex are. Timex has ad's which blanket any Everest attempt...
Sixxgrand1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2010, 06:34 PM   #28
Z06

Watch: 116713 - V
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnh View Post

Mine is only a few months old (brand new to me) and it is spot on, to the second (using the official US time-snapshot link), over the last 4 days (No...I am not exagerating)...i am truly amazed...
Z06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2010, 07:47 PM   #29
browngo1
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS DJ, SS GMTIIC
My GMT IIC was losing about 3 seconds per day. It bothered my slightly at first, but after 18 months I rarely even think about it, in fact I can't even remember the last time I checked it!
Old 27 November 2010, 08:33 PM   #30
f-du-27
"TRF" Member

My watch is somewhat erratic, sometimes a bit fast , sometimes a bit slow compared to the microwave.
On the long run it stays on time .
But what are 10s a week when you are retired ?.
f-du-27 is offline   Reply With Quote