The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 November 2010, 03:54 AM   #1
oo7

Icon20 ROLEX Quartz... Maybe time for another go?

I have a #17000 OQ that I think is a fine timepiece (and a used bargain). It's so very precise, as any wristwatch can be. Many people think Rolex fans are snobs and look down on quartz mechs. I personally appreciate them. I actually like an uber-precise timepiece now and then....

Here's the Q....

Would any of you EVER consider a Rolex quartz Submariner or say, Datejust if Rolex brought the option to market? If Omega can sell a SMP Quartz and Breitling a Superquartz, why not Rolex with a Sub quartz? It wouldn't be positioned as 'cheaper' but just as an option for people who prefer the simpler, more accurate and predictable ownership of a quartz. They have movements available (thousands in a warehouse the rumor has it going back to the 80's). They have the ability. Just a thought. Let's see what we have to say on this.

Happy Festivus!
oo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2010, 03:59 AM   #2
BarkMaster
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18078 YG DD
I might consider a new OQ DD if it was barked.
Old 27 November 2010, 05:06 AM   #3
hhh007
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18078
<<< Would any of you EVER consider a Rolex quartz Submariner or say, Datejust if Rolex brought the option to market >>>

Yes I would, in about 1 second flat!
Explorer I 114270
hhh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2010, 05:12 AM   #4
Cato
Banned

Watch: 116610LN
Yes, especially with a solar power option!
Cato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2010, 05:16 AM   #5
rpryan55
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubND,DD,SSDaytona
I'm sorry, but that would not be for me. My wife fell in love with one of the Patek "24" series - she seriously loved the watch - but I could not bring myself to pay that much money for a quartz watch, so she was out of luck. With what Rolex would charge for a quartz watch, I don't think I could spend it.

This is just a personal bias on my part, and is based in nothing but my own preferences.
rpryan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2010, 05:20 AM   #6
Randy9999
"TRF" Member

Watch: red 1680; 6542
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpryan55 View Post
I'm sorry, but that would not be for me. My wife fell in love with one of the Patek "24" series - she seriously loved the watch - but I could not bring myself to pay that much money for a quartz watch, so she was out of luck. With what Rolex would charge for a quartz watch, I don't think I could spend it.

This is just a personal bias on my part, and is based in nothing but my own preferences.
So your wife is a grown-up... She should buy the Patek she wants (assuming you two can afford it), irrespective of your feelings about quartz. That said, I'm personally with you: I wouldn't wear one myself.
Randy9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2010, 05:24 AM   #7
rpryan55
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy9999 View Post
So your wife is a grown-up... She should buy the Patek she wants (assuming you two can afford it), irrespective of your feelings about quartz.
We do not spend that much money without consulting each other. She has the same veto power over I as I do over her. I talked her out of the quartz because I saw that watch as a waste of money.
Old 27 November 2010, 05:45 AM   #8
Randy9999
"TRF" Member

Watch: red 1680; 6542
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpryan55 View Post
We do not spend that much money without consulting each other. She has the same veto power over I as I do over her. I talked her out of the quartz because I saw that watch as a waste of money.
Understood. Maybe I've been "overtrained" by my wife, LOL. Woe is me.
Randy9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2010, 07:50 AM   #9
rpryan55
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy9999 View Post
Understood. Maybe I've been "overtrained" by my wife, LOL. Woe is me.
Not a problem, friend. My wife has spent many years training me, as well.
Old 27 November 2010, 07:54 AM   #10
Badfish179
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pam24, Seamaster
For a quartz watch I'd go to the other "ex"....TimEX!
Old 27 November 2010, 08:16 AM   #11
oct2121
Banned

Watch: Rolex Sub TT 16613
Quote:
Originally Posted by oo7 View Post
I have a #17000 OQ that I think is a fine timepiece (and a used bargain). It's so very precise, as any wristwatch can be. Many people think Rolex fans are snobs and look down on quartz mechs. I personally appreciate them. I actually like an uber-precise timepiece now and then....

Here's the Q....

Would any of you EVER consider a Rolex quartz Submariner or say, Datejust if Rolex brought the option to market? If Omega can sell a SMP Quartz and Breitling a Superquartz, why not Rolex with a Sub quartz? It wouldn't be positioned as 'cheaper' but just as an option for people who prefer the simpler, more accurate and predictable ownership of a quartz. They have movements available (thousands in a warehouse the rumor has it going back to the 80's). They have the ability. Just a thought. Let's see what we have to say on this.

Happy Festivus!
Sub with quartz?
Why not getting a Timex or a China made cheap quartz for $22
Why would you want to sexually abuse a Submariner with a quartz stud in it?

If -4/+6 sec per day precision of a mechanical Rolex is not enough than I will probably have to change my life style. I don't have any need for -0/+0 precision on my watch. That's for sure because I'm not trying to be on time anywhere where I would be worried about couple seconds.
oct2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2010, 08:29 AM   #12
oo7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish179 View Post
For a quartz watch I'd go to the other "ex"....TimEX!
Good discussion! Quartz = Cheap to some people. No problem. Each their own. But, IMO, The Rolex 5035 & 5055 quartz movements were ahead of their time and deserve another shot in a proper 38mm + case size or in ladies Rolex lines. I got my wife a ladies Omega SMP quartz because she hates bothering with having to wear a watch all the time to keep it running. But, she appreciates fine watches. If (and I mean if) they did put this in a Submariner or GMT or Explorer, I'd buy one today. I love automatic watches but as a fan of many things Swiss, I think quartz deserves another chance in a proper case from Rolex. When my iPhone is more precise than my Rolex 14060M, my instinct is to look at my phone first for the time. My Rolex is therefore more jewelery than a timepiece. Hope they make it again.
Old 27 November 2010, 08:33 AM   #13
oo7

Quote:
Originally Posted by oct2121 View Post
Sub with quartz?
Why not getting a Timex or a China made cheap quartz for $22
Why would you want to sexually abuse a Submariner with a quartz stud in it?

If -4/+6 sec per day precision of a mechanical Rolex is not enough than I will probably have to change my life style. I don't have any need for -0/+0 precision on my watch. That's for sure because I'm not trying to be on time anywhere where I would be worried about couple seconds.
Well, why a Rolex automatic in that case? Seiko makes a great automatic for a couple Yen. That's my point. The pursuit of the best watchmaker at timekeeping, is to manufacture the best OR (sometimes) the most complicated timekeeping devices (as art for the most part). If Rolex wants to be the best at TIMEKEEPING, +/- 6 sec's or so is the frontier to get to. That's my point. It isn't for everyone but it should be an option. I'd also like to see a Rolex complication. Will it happen? Maybe.
Old 27 November 2010, 09:19 AM   #14
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

Rolex Quartz, I would consider buying one. I had a couple OQ in the past that I liked.

But in a sub, probably not, in a DJ, sure.

But if Rolex puts out another quartz in the oyster line, you know that the movement will be one of the, if not "the" best quartz movement out there. I could live with that on my wrist.

Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2010, 09:20 AM   #15
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
I would not buy a quartz watch.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2010, 10:08 AM   #16
Badfish179
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pam24, Seamaster
007 this is a very good post. It is a great question and there are lots of educated opinions. Thanks for an interesting topic. I'll stay tuned to read more responses.
Old 27 November 2010, 10:35 AM   #17
DanP
Banned

Watch: GV-U-Kno-Me :)
Well my B&R watch is quartz and really does it for me personally, but for a rolex I myself would stay away from quartz unless it is some vintage prince. Im not really sure why quartz is consideded cheap as it would be put, my wifes constellation is quartz and looks superb on her. Great thread 007 bud, as for complications on a rolex.... A man can dream. Oh good lord can you imagine what a modern grand complication rolex would look like? A man can dream!
DanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2010, 10:37 AM   #18
mmmmp
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Wimbledon DJ41
>I might consider a new OQ DD if it was barked. <

Hell, I'd consider a *TIMEX* if it was barked!! Seriously, quartz movements have their place, but not in my Turn-O-Graph. To each his own. Best, Mark.
mmmmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2010, 10:48 AM   #19
skypilot
"TRF" Member

Good thread !! I would definitely consider a quartz Rolex. I've got 3 automatic Rolexes and like them a lot but what is so sacred about an automatic? I have seen the same phenomenon in cars and motorcycles in which people don't want to embrace the newest technology, they'll pay more for a less capable piece of machinery.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2010, 10:56 AM   #20
Dr. Robert
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 1655
I'd consider a high end quartz Rolex.......but it's gotta be better than The Citizen Chronomaster A660 movt. & the Grand Seiko 9F62 & 9F65 movts.
Old 27 November 2010, 11:09 AM   #21
oo7

Great feedback!

I just wanted to get a post Y2K opinion going. WIS's normally discount quartz as "cheap" or "unnecessary" but it really is more precise AND it has technology in it. And, have you ever noticed the lowly watchmaker wearing a Rado ceramic quartz and ask WHY? I did. The ceramics and quartz in it were cutting edge and he thinks they still are. Now thats what a watchmaker says but I was intrigued by the sentiment. So Rolex has a new blue parachrom hairspring? Nice, but how does that make it a better timekeeper? I guess we'll see but the Rolex quartz movements are still renowned and we should be given an opportunity see them again in a proper case... I'd like to anyway.
Old 27 November 2010, 11:09 AM   #22
oo7

Great feedback!
Old 27 November 2010, 11:11 AM   #23
Perdu
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
It would be great if Rolex bought out a DJ quartz. Like all mechanical movements are not equal, same with quartz and personally I see nothing wrong with a really well made, well finished, thermo-compensated high end quartz. I wish Rolex would do it.

Benson 1937 Sterling Silver Hunter
Perdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2010, 11:20 AM   #24
Sunshine
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116400GV
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarkMaster View Post
I might consider a new OQ DD if it was barked.

Raf!! He doing it again with the dam Bark!!! Tex.
Old 27 November 2010, 11:26 AM   #25
Akira
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710RB, 14060M
Why not?
I would say not a Sub or Milgauss, but a completely different model, clearly distinguishable like was the Oysterquartz.

I do wear mine and love it

Akira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2010, 11:28 AM   #26
RRGHOST1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex TT SubC Blue
I would consider it if it had a sweep hand like the Seiko Spring Drive,arnt they electro-mechanical ?
RRGHOST1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2010, 11:32 AM   #27
Dr. Robert
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 1655
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexplorer2 View Post
I would consider it if it had a sweep hand like the Seiko Spring Drive,arnt they electro-mechanical ?

I just saw the Grand Seiko line that are being sold in the USA (3 ad's, Chicago, Ariz. & Los Angeles)
I was @ Feldmars in West L.A. & saw the mechanicals, spring drives & quartzes....beautiful, magnificent.......the quality, build, fit & finish....Rolex/Omega etc. quality.................& the SD sweep very cool!
Old 27 November 2010, 11:45 AM   #28
Alcan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your P's & Q's
I owned this OQ for about a day until I spotted the big scratch on the dial just below the coronet, and returned it. Some day I'll have another pre-COSC billboard OQ.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OQ1[1].jpg (36.5 KB, 204 views)
Member #1,315

I don't want to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol IS a solution!
Alcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2010, 01:18 PM   #29
oct2121
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by oo7 View Post
Good discussion! Quartz = Cheap to some people. No problem. Each their own. But, IMO, The Rolex 5035 & 5055 quartz movements were ahead of their time and deserve another shot in a proper 38mm + case size or in ladies Rolex lines. I got my wife a ladies Omega SMP quartz because she hates bothering with having to wear a watch all the time to keep it running. But, she appreciates fine watches. If (and I mean if) they did put this in a Submariner or GMT or Explorer, I'd buy one today. I love automatic watches but as a fan of many things Swiss, I think quartz deserves another chance in a proper case from Rolex. When my iPhone is more precise than my Rolex 14060M, my instinct is to look at my phone first for the time. My Rolex is therefore more jewelery than a timepiece. Hope they make it again.
Yes, my Rolex has sentimental value for me and in some cases is more like a jewelry. I’m looking with joy and pleasure at my TT Sub 16613. At the risk to sound ridiculous and nuts, I may say that I take pleasure to wind my Sub so that I can “participate” in this task of time keeping that my Sub is doing for me. I feel good that I know I have the 3135 movement and I love that I know my Sub has about 35 grams of 18K gold all around. I also know for sure that if ever I get in a tight spot in my life in some strange place somewhere I will always get some value so that I can survive and flee to safety, so to speak. I lost my mind, I know, but I am an addict to my Sub.

I know, I may be crazy but that’s the way I feel. I am addicted to my Sub for sure, 100%. That much I know.

Che,
Old 27 November 2010, 01:19 PM   #30
oct2121
Banned