The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 April 2007, 05:45 AM   #1
sjt
"TRF" Member

New 16710 - thanks and impressions

This is a sort of continuation thread but contains new material so I hope it justifies a new thread. I just wanted to thank those that responded to my previous buying question in the thread: "UK buying question - sub date or GMT" and let them know how I got on.

Thanks to all that replied - especially Woody, who gave me a lot of useful info. Well I followed that advice and went to the local authorised dealer and got a GMT (16710) with a black / red dial. I mentioned the tax free price at the dealer and got about 10% off the RRP, which I thought was about right. The service was very good and a pleasant experience.

The watch is a Z serial number, which means it is fairly recent.

First impressions - all my own opinions!

It is lighter than I expected - I have an Omega seamaster and speedmaster and the GMT is lighter than both. I think this is to do with the GMT's bracelet having non-solid middle links.

The day I got it I pulled the green sticker off and it committed suicide when I did this and left half the hologram in a sticky mess on the back of the watch! I followed the advice on here and gave it a good scrub with soap and that fixed it.

I read somewhere that the oyster bracelet is very reliable, and I hope it is. I much prefer having screws to add / remove bracelet links to pins. Both the omega watches use pins and one day a pin came out of the seamaster's bracelet and the watch flew off my arm as I was pointing to something to land on concrete! The crown tube screw thread was broken and it kept awful time until the hairspring was replaced. The seamaster case still bears the scars of the concrete.

I have read on here that I should not use loctite on the GMT's bracelet link screws, but the dealer used loctite and advised me to do the same. He pointed me at the white powder on the screw thread of the screw and said it was loctite. Any comments?

The foldover bit on the clasp (the silver bit with rolex stamped on it) is still quite stiff - I assume it will loosen up with time.

I like the old GMT (16710) much more than the new GMTs coming out, so I am glad I got this one in case they phase it out.

The GMT keeps very good time so far. Since I bought it, it is losing less than one second a day (I have had it a week now). Its early days yet, as we must let the oil distribute and it settle in to me wearing it. However, the initial signs are promising. This is more accurate than the omegas out of the box.

Its only a week old, and I have already scratched the shiny bit on the side of the case! I don't care though - it was meant for wearing and not shut in its box. The omegas have chunks out of their cases as well.

Any idea how often you should get it serviced and how much a service is likely to cost in the UK?

Hope this is interesting and thanks for any answers.

For a bit of fun I attach a pic that looks nothing like the watch does!

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1804v2.jpg (253.1 KB, 128 views)
sjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2007, 09:08 AM   #2
Ironstark
TechXpert

Watch: SS/W Skydweller
It`s great you took the plunge and that you`re enjoying the watch.
With regard to loctite on the bracelet screws, yes it is used by Rolex (and should be by authorised retailers) when adjusting the bracelet screws, but it is not the normal loctite. It is a special "locking" loctite used to stop screws/blots/nuts from comming loose. It is not your normal super glue.
I don`t know if you can obtain it from Rolex or authorised retailers.
Plus if you (or anyone) intends to loosen the bracelet screws, they need to be heated in order to loosen the loctite.
Recommended servicing intervals are every 3 to 5 years and should cost around the £200 mark in the UK. This is for a full service and case and bracelet refurbish.
Ironstark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2007, 10:30 AM   #3
mike
"TRF" Member

Congrats! The GMT is such a versatile watch! Wear it well.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2007, 10:38 AM   #4
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Congrats on the GMT-II and welcome to TRF.

Cheers - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2007, 12:18 PM   #5
syahriltaher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Omega
You have made a right choice,,,,GMT II is such as wonderful and useful watch...

Regards,
- Rolex RG Daytona 116505 - Rolex SS Submariner "Hulk" - Rolex SS Sky Dweller "Black Dial" - Rolex SS GMT Master II 16710 "Coke" - Rolex GMT Master II CHNR "Rootbeer" TT - Rolex SS Daytona Ceramic 116500LN "Black Dial" - Rolex 126710 "New Batman" 2022 - Rolex SS/WG Datejust 41 126334 "Blue Roman" - Panerai "PAM 88" GMT - Omega New Moonwatch 3861
syahriltaher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2007, 10:30 PM   #6
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
You made a great choice. Although any Rolex tool watch is a winner.
Congrats & enjoy,
dP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GMT II Mic Close up.JPG (157.9 KB, 89 views)
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2007, 10:44 PM   #7
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Congratulations on becoming a member of the exclusive 4 hand club. You will not regret buying the GMT-II. It is a great watch and probably the most versatile Rolex around.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2007, 10:55 PM   #8
Prince
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Sub/GMT/DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjt View Post
...I like the old GMT (16710) much more than the new GMTs coming out...
Agree wholeheartedly, Steve. Congrats on your acquisition, and as Ed says, welcome to the 4-hand club.

I love mine!

Old 5 April 2007, 11:15 PM   #9
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
Since the old bezels are going away, should I go to my AD and buy one each of the black/red, pepsi and root beer designs? Ooh, can the root beer go on my black face GMT?
astcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2007, 11:39 PM   #10
Prince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by astcell View Post
Since the old bezels are going away, should I go to my AD and buy one each of the black/red, pepsi and root beer designs? Ooh, can the root beer go on my black face GMT?
Sounds like a great idea, Robert. Don't see why you can't put a Rootbeer bezel insert on your black-faced GMT!
Old 5 April 2007, 11:59 PM   #11
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Quote:
If that was even possible I'd be all of it like a cheap suite. I'd love to have all bezel options so I could switch them at will. But Rolex USA says NO! The all black bezel works great when meeting with the "suits" and would love the red/ blue for less formal times.
Hope my wife comes home from Germany with an extra insert.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2007, 12:45 AM   #12
Prince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpierce84@insightbb. View Post
If that was even possible I'd be all of it like a cheap suite. I'd love to have all bezel options so I could switch them at will. But Rolex USA says NO! The all black bezel works great when meeting with the "suits" and would love the red/ blue for less formal times.
Hope my wife comes home from Germany with an extra insert.
dP
But...you CAN buy authentic Rolex inserts on eBay for VERY reasonable prices. I don't mean cheap knock-offs or third-party items - the real deal. Just another option...
Old 6 April 2007, 01:58 AM   #13
greenfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16710 Coke
Congratulations on your new watch Steve. Excellent choice and I´m sure you´ll enjoy it
I also have the red/black bezel and I think it´s the best combination. But I´m also looking forward to buying the black one for more formal use and the pepsi one for the summer.....
Old 6 April 2007, 01:58 AM   #14
Flyjet601
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Of all my Rolex watches.....it is my favorite
Flyjet601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2007, 02:08 AM   #15
nko51
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Blue Sub
Congrats! GMT-MASTER II, is a beautiful watch, light yet robust.