The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > Pens & Writing Instruments

Old 24 January 2011, 12:54 PM   #1
smartson
"TRF" Member

Pen newbie here, need suggestion please...

Hi all
This is my first post in pen forum, hoping some of you can give me suggestion on gift ideas.

My daughter will be graduating from university this summer likely with very good grade. She is doing BA in business/legal and is hoping to get into law school afterward. I am thinking that a nice pen would be a good graduation gift to her, but I know too little to pick an appropriate one.

My budget is $300~$500 for either a roller or ball pen, or $600~$800 for a set. I have an MB Meistertuck and MB seems a default choice. I want a pen that inspires, with beauty she can appreciate, durable as a life-time memorabilia and comfortable for her small hand. I don't want to spend too much to make her think I am made of money. But I afraid MB at that price range might be too generic. Which other brand and model are good choices? Is my budget appropriate? What would you suggest and the reasons?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Roger
Seiko SDGM001
smartson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2011, 05:32 PM   #2
Shangas

Watch: 1957 Ball RR watch
Is the pen purely for pocket-jewellery? Or is she actually going to use it? Why Montblanc? How much writing is she likely to do if she actually does use the pen?

I'm not saying that MB makes bad pens, but one of the big problems with Montblanc is that it's too much of a status symbol these days, and that can go the wrong way sometimes. Some people think it speaks of shallowness and materialism. Why did you pick it?

Is your daughter going to be doing lots of writing? A ballpoint pen really isn't suitable for that. A rollerball or a fountain pen are a better choice.

There are other excellent pen-manufacturers out that which you can dro...I mean...peruse. Such as OMAS, Pelikan or one of my favourites, Visconti. And don't discount some of the other brands such as Parker, Sheaffer, Waterman and Conway Stewart, which all make beautiful pens.
Shangas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2011, 08:39 PM   #3
2careless
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
Need more info:
1. how small is her hand?
2. what colour does she like - gold or silver?
3. would she like classic black or she likes catchier colours?

BTW I just ordered one of this - http://www.astoria-hamburg.com/david...-collection-2/
It's a small handmade silver pen. You have to post it and cartridge fill only. Near or just over your single pen budget.
Not sure if Max will do a rollerball, you can ask him if interested.
2careless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2011, 12:41 AM   #4
Lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710 PEPSI
Also check out Faber-Castell, they make nice pens as well. I still think the MB Classic Meisterstuck in a rollerball would make a good choice and it's no too big for the hand!!!

SS GMT-II 16710 PEPSI(Z-serial#)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEN AND BOYS IS THE PRICE OF THE TOYS!!!
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Doue Silver Barley
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Solitaire Doue Signum
Proud Card Carrying Member of the Curmudgeons.....Yikes!!!
Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2011, 12:47 AM   #5
m5blitzer

Watch: Enough is enough!!
Mont Blanc is the best known pen manufacturer out there (e.g. marketing, marketing, marketing) and they DO make great pens. I usually equate MB with Rolex which is another best known watch. But there are better pen and watch brands for more money/prestige, of course.

Your best approach would be to go to a MB boutique if they are close to you or to a good pen store selling multiple brands and have your daughter try several for size, looks and functionality (ballpoint, rolling ball or even a fountain pen)

Good luck and congrats to her hard work in college.

Regards!
m5blitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2011, 03:46 AM   #6
smartson
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for your inputs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shangas View Post
Is the pen purely for pocket-jewellery? Or is she actually going to use it? Why Montblanc? How much writing is she likely to do if she actually does use the pen?
Hi Shahan
There isn't a big need for a lot of hand writing these days in university. Most of the work are done and submitted electronically. But I think a classic pen is in order for her as she continues to pursue a career in law or business. For sure I like to see her write more rather than punching keyboard.
Seiko SDGM001
Old 25 January 2011, 03:58 AM   #7
smartson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2careless View Post
Need more info:
1. how small is her hand?
2. what colour does she like - gold or silver?
3. would she like classic black or she likes catchier colours?

BTW I just ordered one of this - http://www.astoria-hamburg.com/david...-collection-2/
It's a small handmade silver pen. You have to post it and cartridge fill only. Near or just over your single pen budget.
Not sure if Max will do a rollerball, you can ask him if interested.
2areless, thanks for your info.

1) The Astoria would be something I like but may be too masculine for a young lady. She is of petite size with hands that looks like teenagers. Because of this I ruled out fountain pen at this time. Most website don't post dimension of pen which makes it more difficult to gauge which one has the suitable size.

2) I like to give her some gold, hoping for a timeless appeal.

3) As a graduation gift, I kinda of look for the shock value too. For example, Delta makes colorful and artistic pieces with a touch of feminine, I just afraid it may not be practical. I don't see a lot of comment on Delta on this forum.
Seiko SDGM001
Old 25 January 2011, 06:17 AM   #8
2careless
"TRF" Member

Hi Roger,
I suppose goto a Montblanc boutique and check it out. I'm sure there is one in Toronto, and also goto a brick/mortar pen store too.
In terms of Montblanc probably the Boehme range is more suitable for the ladies. Smaller and easier to grip.
BTW, the assertion that law students don't write is false. My son studies law and he writes approx 2x 100 page A5 notebooks per month, even though all his lecture notes, assignments etc are electronically available, he still has to attend lectures and likes to write down his own notes instead of typing it in the computer.
Rgds Kai
Old 25 January 2011, 06:44 AM   #9
m5blitzer

My wife is petite too and she was comfortable with the Meisterstuck Classique series.
Old 25 January 2011, 06:53 AM   #10
Shangas

Hi Smartson, if you're not going to expect much writing out of it, a ballpoint pen will be fine.
Old 25 January 2011, 07:11 AM   #11
smartson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5blitzer View Post
My wife is petite too and she was comfortable with the Meisterstuck Classique series.
Now I get it. The MB Classique model is the smaller size more suited to ladies. Thanks.
Seiko SDGM001
Old 25 January 2011, 07:29 AM   #12
2careless
"TRF" Member

Smallest in the MB meisterstuck line is the Mozart - it is really tiny.
Then it's the Classic, then Legrand, and the 149.
Classic is quite alright for normal hands. Legrand for big hands. 149 is by its own class as "the cigar pen".
Old 25 January 2011, 08:31 AM   #13
Shangas

The Mozart is absolutely TINY. I'm not sure how practical that is...
Old 25 January 2011, 08:36 AM   #14
m5blitzer

I tend to agree with Shahan. When my wife tried the Mozart, it looked tiny even in her petite hands and almost looked like she was cramping up. The Classique, on the other hand, is timeless Meisterstuck style that was perfect for her. I am also trying to convince my wife to use a FP over a BP or the mechanical pencil (her preference) but that will take some time.
Old 25 January 2011, 09:27 AM   #15
Lol-x
Facilitator

Quote:
Hi Roger,
My son studies law and he writes approx 2x 100 page A5 notebooks per month, even though all his lecture notes, assignments etc are electronically available, he still has to attend lectures and likes to write down his own notes instead of typing it in the computer.
Rgds Kai
I didn't think the new generation did that, I thought they typed it into a laptop....

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2011, 11:40 AM   #16
MoonDogJerry
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tower, All Along
Roger you mentioned Delta. I have several of them and love them. Here is a thread of the DolceVita I bought. I also have the mini which is larger than the MB Mozart. I think you would find the mini in your price range.
Old 25 January 2011, 12:16 PM   #17
smartson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonDogJerry View Post
Roger you mentioned Delta. I have several of them and love them. Here is a thread of the DolceVita I bought. I also have the mini which is larger than the MB Mozart. I think you would find the mini in your price range.
Thanks Jerry
The DolceVita line is very attractive. It also seems to have the most beautiful presentation bar none other brands of comparable price. I have yet to see a pen store that carries Delta in Toronto. Will definitely check it out.
Seiko SDGM001
Old 25 January 2011, 01:25 PM   #18
gelshocker

MB Classique model BP in burgundy would last a while. Congrats and Good Luck.
gelshocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2011, 01:32 PM   #19
2careless
"TRF" Member

If you want the burgundy, better hurry up as they have been discontinued like 5 years ago. What you can buy "new" are all NOS or 95%.
Old 25 January 2011, 01:34 PM   #20
2careless
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
I didn't think the new generation did that, I thought they typed it into a laptop....
Yeah, but since he has a dad who's into fp's, he has virtually unlimited supplies of paper, pen and ink.
Besides, he has improved his handwriting substantially that he writes way better than I can, and he has been practising cursive italic over the summer holidays (we're in "summer" now...)
Old 25 January 2011, 02:04 PM   #21
Shangas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
Steveo, I'm a university student and when I was doing my Bachelor's, I was writing so much, half the time my fountain pen ran out of ink in class. So I used to bring TWO pens with me AND a bottle of ink. So yeah, students today still do a lot of handwriting.
Old 26 January 2011, 02:48 AM   #22
Lion
"TRF" Member

Roger, I have small hands and I have a MontBlanc A. F. Chopin fountain pen which is a good smaller size and I have a MB Meisterstuck Solitaire Doue Signum also a fountain pen which is not too larges. Check them out!!!

Old 26 January 2011, 03:04 AM   #23
smartson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion View Post
Roger, I have small hands and I have a MontBlanc A. F. Chopin fountain pen which is a good smaller size and I have a MB Meisterstuck Solitaire Doue Signum also a fountain pen which is not too larges. Check them out!!!
Hi Leo, thanks for your input.
The more I look into, the more I like the MB Meisterstuck Solitaire Doue line. It has that understated elegant like Rolex, with indisputable beauty and quality. Will try to look for a good deal, perhaps on the Bay.
Seiko SDGM001
Old 26 January 2011, 04:22 AM   #24
Lion
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartson View Post
The more I look into, the more I like the MB Meisterstuck Solitaire Doue line. It has that understated elegant like Rolex, with indisputable beauty and quality. Will try to look for a good deal, perhaps on the Bay.
Roger, they are a little more expensive but I can tell you I've had mine for about a year and it's held up quite nicely...even in the summer when I just clip it to my T-shirt!!!

Old 26 January 2011, 06:15 AM   #25
2careless
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartson View Post
Roger, do not get it from the bay. The Meisterstuck classic line, be it resin or metal versions, is the most "replicated" pens on earth. Without holding a genuine one and the replicated side by side, it's quite impossible to distinguish which one is real.

Buy from a brick and mortar store that does Internet sales - e.g. Fountain Pen Hospital www.fountainpenhospital.com, Joons Pens www.joonpens.com or Fahrney Pens www.fahrneyspens.com

I like FPH most personally, ymmv.

Kai
Old 26 January 2011, 07:16 AM   #26
smartson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Roger, do not get it from the bay. The Meisterstuck classic line, be it resin or metal versions, is the most "replicated" pens on earth. Without holding a genuine one and the replicated side by side, it's quite impossible to distinguish which one is real.

Buy from a brick and mortar store that does Internet sales - e.g. Fountain Pen Hospital www.fountainpenhospital.com, Joons Pens www.joonpens.com or Fahrney Pens www.fahrneyspens.com

I like FPH most personally, ymmv.

Kai

Kai, thanks for the links.
Oh yeah, FPH is good...very complete catalog and easy to search.
Seiko SDGM001
Old 26 January 2011, 11:58 AM   #27
m5blitzer

Throwing in penboutique.com from Maryland BUT do call them before ordering online as they do have a tendency of not updating their site with their inventory levels.