The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 8 May 2011, 06:43 AM   #1
R.G
Banned

Restoration Question?!

Hello TRF!

Does anyone know of, or can recommend a decent London or Southern UK based vintage watch restorer?

I just found out today that my dad has a 70's Omega and I thought I would take it to a reputable store for a full service/restoration estimate.

Obviously it's not a Rolex question although I guess almost anyone who restores Rolex's will also work on Omega's.

Thanks

Padi edit
Well if its obviously it's not a Rolex question,why post it in the Rolex watch only forum.???.

Last edited by padi56; 2 June 2011 at 10:54 PM..
R.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2011, 03:56 AM   #2
boxbrownie
"TRF" Member

Hi, the very best vintage Omega restorer is STS (Swiss Time Services) in Rochford, Essex. They are THE factory approved vintage Omega service and restoration spa.
This rare Ladies Omega Seamaster I found in a charity shop for a bargain it was battered and missing the secondhand....OK it wasn't cheap to restore but it now looks new and comes with a two year warranty.....

boxbrownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2011, 07:54 AM   #3
R.G
Banned

Thanks for responding. Your watch does look great! Coincidentally shortly after posting the thread I called one of the London based service centre's listed on the Omega website. Spoke to a guy there who quoted £400 for a full service and restoration (without a new strap).
Old 2 June 2011, 01:19 PM   #4
slcbbrown
"TRF" Member

Watch: 50's TT t-bird
what's included?

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.G View Post
Thanks for responding. Your watch does look great! Coincidentally shortly after posting the thread I called one of the London based service centre's listed on the Omega website. Spoke to a guy there who quoted £400 for a full service and restoration (without a new strap).
What are we calling "restoration" vs a thorough service? How bad is the watch?
slcbbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2011, 01:20 PM   #5
slcbbrown
"TRF" Member

Watch: 50's TT t-bird
beautiful watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxbrownie View Post
Hi, the very best vintage Omega restorer is STS (Swiss Time Services) in Rochford, Essex. They are THE factory approved vintage Omega service and restoration spa.
This rare Ladies Omega Seamaster I found in a charity shop for a bargain it was battered and missing the secondhand....OK it wasn't cheap to restore but it now looks new and comes with a two year warranty.....

What did they have to do to get it back to this condition? That's a great looking watch.
slcbbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2011, 01:24 PM   #6
sherwin
"TRF" Member

Possibly replace the crown would be a guess, also a big polishing job would be called for too!
Old 2 June 2011, 09:29 PM   #7
R.G
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slcbbrown View Post
What are we calling "restoration" vs a thorough service? How bad is the watch?
Thw watch is not in good condition, and restoration would mean exactly that. They polish and clean the parts, then replace the crown and crystal, then, give it a full service.
Old 3 June 2011, 06:30 AM   #8
R.G
Banned

Quote:
Hello TRF!

Does anyone know of, or can recommend a decent London or Southern UK based vintage watch restorer?

I just found out today that my dad has a 70's Omega and I thought I would take it to a reputable store for a full service/restoration estimate.

Obviously it's not a Rolex question although I guess almost anyone who restores Rolex's will also work on Omega's.

Thanks

Padi edit
Well if its obviously it's not a Rolex question,why post it in the Rolex watch only forum.???.
Ha ha oversight on my part, sorry.

Anyway... I'm surprised it got left on there for such a long time!!
Old 3 June 2011, 11:14 AM   #9
Perdu
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
That"s a beautiful looking little watch. The U.K. guys obviously know what's best but also Omega Switzerland do fabulous restoration jobs if you don't mind waiting. . . and waiting.

Benson 1937 Sterling Silver Hunter
Perdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2011, 06:27 AM   #10
R.G
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perdu View Post
That"s a beautiful looking little watch. The U.K. guys obviously know what's best but also Omega Switzerland do fabulous restoration jobs if you don't mind waiting. . . and waiting.
Old 4 June 2011, 11:32 AM   #11
mondodec
"TRF" Member

Watch: Vintage Connies
Hmm

I would try Chris Heal who is in the south. Just google Chealwatch. He has a good rep, and may offer better value for money.

Cheers

Desmond

Quote:
mondodec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2011, 03:32 AM   #12
R.G
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondodec View Post
Hmm

I would try Chris Heal who is in the south. Just google Chealwatch. He has a good rep, and may offer better value for money.

Cheers

Desmond
Old 9 June 2011, 07:04 PM   #13
boxbrownie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perdu View Post
They do......but STS is Omega Switzerlands only approved restorer in the UK, you get a great personal service too, give them a ring and have a chat.

The only thing they cannot do which bienne can is the sunburst machining on some of the larger watch cases, apparently that requires a special production machine.

Don't forget the 24 month warranty that comes along with it!

My wifes watch was picked up in a charity shop and looked bad....faded dial, missing secondhand and wouldn't run for more than an hour or so, it came back looking like a new watch.....she was over the moon with it, I think it cost around £370 all in and took about 4 weeks.
boxbrownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2011, 09:46 AM   #14
snog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thw watch is not in good condition, and restoration would mean exactly that. They polish and clean the parts, then replace the crown and crystal, then, give it a full service.
not sure if you have gone for STS but just to be clear,what you list is all covered with a service, even new hands if needed,a retoration would be repairing a dial,making parts to be replaced,relume etc,just thought it best to point this out incase it helps others.
snog is offline   Reply With Quote