The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 3 August 2011, 09:50 AM   #1
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Vintage What is the Attraction?

Let me start this thread by stating whatever one's personal taste in watches is, I am totally supportive and encouraging; even if it's not my style. We ALL have different tastes and likes/dislikes; it's a respect for the fine timepiece that a Rolex is that binds us all together There are some current models that I personally do not find interesting in the slightest, I am sure there are several of you out there that wouldn't pay a nickel for my Daytona either and I understand all that; but what I don't get (someone please explain it to me) is what is the attraction to vintage?

My AD called and said a vintage GMT was in did I want to see it. I went over, and tried it on. It wasn't even that old, serial number from 90 or 91. It was a very nice watch, but I found myself so turned off by it because it was NOT the latest and greatest. I mean, Rolex has made several improvements over the years, if they were not IMPROVEMENTS, then why would the have been implemented? I'm an Engineer, so I strive to get the latest (and presumably the best) equipment; this describes my taste in watches too. As an example, if the parachrome spring wasn't an improvement over previous movements, Rolex wouldn't have implemented it so why wouldn't I want the latest model with the improved function?

I have probably not explained this very well and again, I mean absolutely no dis-respect to any of you out there that prefer a vintage timepiece, more power to you In my feeble mind I just don't get why you would be attracted to old features and technology.... it just doesn't get me excited.

Any vintage lovers please chime in, I'd love to hear what it is about vintage equipment that get's you excited
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2011, 09:54 AM   #2
Dan2010
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai 914
I don't get it either.

However, I may feel different when my GMTIIC is "vintage".
Dan2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2011, 09:58 AM   #3
esm
"TRF" Member

Watch: this, bro...
I dislike watches with foreign DNA on it...

j/k
esm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2011, 10:14 AM   #4
sleddog
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Moved to the vintage section Paul...You may get more answers there!!

TRF's "After Dark" Bar & Nightclub Patron-Founding Member..
sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2011, 10:15 AM   #5
Newportkrieger
Banned

Watch: GMT Master Pepsi
Its all about the "hunt" for the perfect specimen, from your perspective and within the constraints of your budget. Maybe you want to find a vintage watch in NOS condition? Maybe you like one showing the character of use and care over the decades or maybe ones love of a particular year/model because of its appearance? Maybe a vintage watch awakens an old memory inside us of a father,mother or relative. Maybe just to seek out and collect soemthing hard to find. The reasons are as many as the individual.

Then there is the process... to become aware of what you want, to seek information that turns into an education that may change entirely what you seek.

Any idiot can win a lotto and stagger drunk into a Rolex AD or a new car dealership and buy something new off the shelf. Its an almost mindless exersize beyond deciding what you want.

To educate yourself on what you seek, its comparable worth and the condition you seek it in and then to cull through all the possibilities in the marketplace until you find the one that you like, KNOWING why you like it and KNOWING the nature of what you like....

Vintage is an exercise requiring equal parts of intellect and emotion. Buying NEW is just an exercise of emotion!

Newportkrieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2011, 10:18 AM   #6
Oyster1982
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DJ
90-91 is not vintage to me, anything with an acrylic crystal is vintage. I do love the look of the old acrylic crystals, they are so thick and tough. I have a L series DJ and it looks like the a DJ from 2004 minus the lug holes. The 3135 movement itself has not been altered to much in its production run. The automatic winding system dates back to the old 1570 movements from the 60's. The only change has been the parachrom hairspring and a revised anti-shock system. My watch without these features runs within COSC specs and so does my Date with the 3035 movement. Also as for the foriegn DNA, have an ultrasonic cleanng done on the band and it will be good as new.
Old 3 August 2011, 10:24 AM   #7
Brenngun
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Paul, Some vintage products (not just Rolex or watches) have design features that appeal to my particular sense of style and taste. These features disappear as companies release their latest designs. This adds to my personal enjoyment of ownership. An added benefit of quality vintage watches is that they work.
Brenngun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2011, 10:30 AM   #8
cruvon
"TRF" Member

I feel your angst and guess there are 2 camps on this. To some a vintage is just an old scratched up watch with prehistoric function and to others one to be treasured and loved for their emotional and/or historical significance. I believe the attraction to vintage is more like the attraction to historic art, classic cars, etc. If that attraction of yester year doesn't touch you then you're better off going modern with all the conveniences modern watches afford. If it does kindle your desires however, then you could look at watches that have special significance to you like sentimental value heirlooms, birth year watches, rare references,etc.

For me, it was a vintage from my birth year that kindled my love for vintage, that burning desire to have a watch ticking on my wrist that has been ticking for as long as I have lived was just too hard to resist. It helps that I love historic things too. But if you would rather let bygones be bygones, that's perfectly fine too, is all a matter of personal taste.

PS: Since you've already ventured out by posting on vintages, am sure something touched you enough to leave with atleast one vintage watch some time soon;)

Last thing I remember, I was Running outta sight
I had to find the passage back,To the place I was before.
’Relax,’ said this Rolex place,We are programmed to receive.
You can checkout any time you like, But you can never leave!
cruvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2011, 10:34 AM   #9
Lisa
"TRF" Member

It's actually a little surprising that you would ask this question, Paul - since you appreciate antiques, old clocks, radios and such. You know me - I like anything old - watches, cars, houses, furniture, pottery, clocks, single men who live in San Diego.... I furnished my house based on the photos and articles from a stack of 1930s and '40s issues of American Home magazine.

Trying to explain why the attraction to old things, including watches, is kind of tough. I think Steve's post above answers it best. Vintage = more unusual; harder to find; inherently interesting to wear and to own. And I don't want to sound goofy or sappy, but I view owning and caring for a vintage watch as a way of showing respect and appreciation for the past and all that it teaches us.
Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2011, 10:42 AM   #10
hennabav
Banned

Watch: --Rolex--
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newportkrieger View Post
Its all about the "hunt" for the perfect specimen , from your perspective. NOS? Showing the character of use and care over the decades or maybe ones love of a particular year/model because of its appearance? maybe an ond vintage watch it awakens an old memory inside us. The reasons are as many as the individual.

Then there is the process... to become aware of what you want, to seek information that turns into an education that may change entirely what you seek.

Any idiot can win a lotto and stagger drunk into a Rolex Ad or a new car dealership and buy something new off the shelf. Its almost mindless beyond deciding what you want.

To educate yourself on what you seek, its comparable worth and the condition you seek it in and then to cull through all the possibilities in the marketplace until you find the one that you like, KNOWING why you like it and KNOWING the nature of what you like....

Vintage is an exercise requiring equal parts of intellect and emotion. Buying NEW is just an exercise of emotion!

X2...Well said Steve!! It's all about the hunt and having a piece of unique history right on your wrist!!
hennabav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2011, 10:54 AM   #11
lhanddds
Banned

Watch: of course
Sapphire crystals are just so hard and cold. Look at a 1680 with a top hat and matte dial. It just has a warmer feel to it. Besides the fact that owning a vintage requires "some" knowledge. If you see a guy or gal with a vintage watch, they are probably "watch people", not just people who have seen a Rolex commercial and decided to go out and get one (not that there's anything wrong with that ). I have a GMT IIc and love it for it's modern features but I love vintage watches.
lhanddds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2011, 10:57 AM   #12
Dr. Robert
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 1655
Please do not call my "equipment" vintage.
My "equipment" works perfectly well.
Old 3 August 2011, 10:59 AM   #13
Newportkrieger
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Robert View Post
Please do not call my equipment vintage.
Well its better to be called "vintage" than old or antique IMHO...

Old 3 August 2011, 11:06 AM   #14
HL65

Watch: One on my wrist.
To each his own and I guess if one needs to ask it isn't for them. Personally- I enjoy owning super rare pieces that are pretty close to impossible to find in the condition I collect. Anyone can walk into an AD and buy a new modern watch and be part of the crowd of masses. Few can hunt down rare grails and stand apart from the crowd. As for 90-91- can't say that is vintage as far as I am concerned but more of a tweener but that is a whole different strory. Last but not least...With vintage there is charm and character something to me modern watches lack. I will let some pictures be the rest of my words...

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2011, 11:06 AM   #15
oinkitt
"TRF" Member

I wouldnt waste time worrying about it. If its not in you, its not in you!!

I wish I didnt like "dead peoples crap" but I do. The only things I buy new are cloths and marterials for my businesses.

If you find any old crap like this please send it to me!!!

oinkitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2011, 11:08 AM   #16
Newportkrieger
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFan65 View Post
To each his own and I guess if one needs to ask it isn't for them. Personally- I enjoy owning super rare pieces that are pretty close to impossible to find in the condition I collect. Anyone can walk into an AD and buy a new modern watch and be part of the crowd of masses. Few can hunt down rare grails and stand apart from the crowd. As for 90-91- can't say that is vintage as far as I am concerned but more of a tweener but that is a whole different strory. Last but not least...With vintage there is charm and character something to me modern watches lack. I will let some pictures be the rest of my words...
+1

Very well said by one of the "vintage master's" here on TRF
Old 3 August 2011, 11:11 AM   #17
sleddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkitt View Post

I wish I didnt like "dead peoples crap" but I do. The only things I buy new are cloths and marterials for my businesses.

Nicely said Adrian....
I hope all is well with you!?!?

TRF's "After Dark" Bar & Nightclub Patron-Founding Member..
sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2011, 11:11 AM   #18
HL65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
It's actually a little surprising that you would ask this question, Paul - since you appreciate antiques, old clocks, radios and such. You know me - I like anything old - watches, cars, houses, furniture, pottery, clocks, single men who live in San Diego.... I furnished my house based on the photos and articles from a stack of 1930s and '40s issues of American Home magazine.

Trying to explain why the attraction to old things, including watches, is kind of tough. I think Steve's post above answers it best. Vintage = more unusual; harder to find; inherently interesting to wear and to own. And I don't want to sound goofy or sappy, but I view owning and caring for a vintage watch as a way of showing respect and appreciation for the past and all that it teaches us.
Ps- Well said Lisa and Steve too!! Love that last line though Lisa!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 3 August 2011, 11:13 AM   #19
HL65

Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkitt View Post

Exactly Adrian!!! And thanks Steve!!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 3 August 2011, 11:17 AM   #20
greekbum
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 16750
I have always worn what I liked and never really cared what others thought. I like my old watches and dont care what they are worth or what the latest trends are. I have been wearing my GMT since the mid 80's....lol.I have tried new watches so many times and they just didnt do it for me after a few days.

Original Owner ROLEX 16750 GMT Daily Wearer For Over 13,000 Days And Counting
greekbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2011, 11:25 AM   #21
Newportkrieger
Banned

I prefer vintage watches because I appreciate the opportunity and privilage of being a "custodian" of a beautiful watch to help ensure that it passes thru the ages, appreciated and unmolested!
Old 3 August 2011, 11:28 AM   #22
cruvon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I prefer vintage watches because I appreciate the opportunity and privilage of being a "custodian" of a beautiful watch to help ensure that it passes thru the ages, appreciated and unmolested!
Much like the desire to pass on ones genes I guess:)

Old 3 August 2011, 11:32 AM   #23
Michael M.
Banned

For me, it's knowing I cant walk into a AD and ask for a 5513 submariner. Also, some of the provenance that comes with pieces is amazing!
Michael M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2011, 12:00 PM   #24
Frogman4me
Banned

Like many have already said the exclusivity of owning vintage pieces is a big part of the attraction. Especially the rare references in excellent condition which Ken has already dazzled you with. Rolex will never make more and each and every year there will be less from examples that are ruined with service parts or destroyed making each one more special as time goes on. This is what collectors love most about vintage.

For me I love the unique character of each watch and appreciate all the history behind it. I often just stare at my watch appreciating the unique organic patina that has occurred over the decades, the beautiful Chamfer on the lugs, the naturally faded bezel insert, silver date wheel, etc. When I look down at my watch I know there is only one that is exactly like it and even if another person has the exact same reference and even the same year I know it will be different in some way. I owned a GMTIIC, 14060 etc and although they are quality watches, they were just so boring. Each and everyone looks the same, no character, no patina or aging outside of scratches and dings on the case. I never liked the idea of sharing a watch with someone who knows nothing about the brand, which is very common with modern Rolex purchasers.

Last but not least and this might be something that is overlooked is the companionship with fellow vintage enthusiast. Its obvious that us vintage guys are part of small group when compared to the modern guys but this is the exact reason why I like it so much. Many of us know each other well and have developed a relationship through vintage watches that is quite pleasant. If one member is looking for a particular example there is always a member willing to help locate one and we support each other through the process. Its wonderful to communicate with guys who know so much about the brand. All the history the references and models it sometimes just blows your mind away on the knowledge that these guys have accumulated over the years. This time of knowledge is required when your buying vintage watches and not so much when your buying modern and these are the guys I want to affiliate myself most with. Cheers
Frogman4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2011, 12:07 PM   #25
Racer X
"TRF" Member

Quote:
+1

Very well said by one of the "vintage master's" here on TRF
+2. Couldn't have put it better than what Ken said.
Racer X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2011, 12:09 PM   #26
cruvon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman4me View Post
Like many have already said the exclusivity of owning vintage pieces is a big part of the attraction. Especially the rare references in excellent condition which Ken has already dazzled you with. Rolex will never make more and each and every year there will be less from examples that are ruined with service parts or destroyed making each one more special as time goes on. This is what collectors love most about vintage.

For me I love the unique character of each watch and appreciate all the history behind it. I often just stare at my watch appreciating the unique organic patina that has occurred over the decades, the beautiful Chamfer on the lugs, the naturally faded bezel insert, silver date wheel, etc. When I look down at my watch I know there is only one that is exactly like it and even if another person has the exact same reference and even the same year I know it will be different in some way. I owned a GMTIIC, 14060 etc and although they are quality watches, they were just so boring. Each and everyone looks the same, no character, no patina or aging outside of scratches and dings on the case. I never liked the idea of sharing a watch with someone who knows nothing about the brand, which is very common with modern Rolex purchasers.

Last but not least and this might be something that is overlooked is the companionship with fellow vintage enthusiast. Its obvious that us vintage guys are part of small group when compared to the modern guys but this is the exact reason why I like it so much. Many of us know each other well and have developed a relationship through vintage watches that is quite pleasant. If one member is looking for a particular example there is always a member willing to help locate one and we support each other through the process. Its wonderful to communicate with guys who know so much about the brand. All the history the references and models it sometimes just blows your mind away on the knowledge that these guys have accumulated over the years. This is required when your into vintage watches and not so much when your buying modern and these are the guys I want to affiliate myself most with. Cheers
+1 David:)

Old 3 August 2011, 12:10 PM   #27
cruvon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFan65 View Post

+1 OP, maybe try a 70"s top hat crystal 1680 red or a DRSD and get back to us with your views?:).

If you still feel the same after that, you can't be helped;)

Old 3 August 2011, 12:18 PM   #28
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
The fact that you have something like others have said which cannot be purchased by someone just walking into an AD and getting it. You have to want this, you have to go out and find one. It takes more to get one, and its extremely rewarding when your able to find one that's in such real good condition.

Somehow I feel a bit different when I put my Red Sub on than when I put on any of my newer watches. It's something a bit rare, and different from the norm. It's a special feeling which in a way is a respect for something older, yet functional, and almost timeless.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Red Sub Wrist Resize.jpg (221.4 KB, 665 views)

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2011, 12:31 PM   #29
Frogman4me
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruvon View Post
+1 OP, maybe try a 70"s top hat crystal 1680 red or a DRSD and get back to us with your views?:)
Take two and call me in the morning

Frogman4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2011, 12:50 PM   #30
STEELINOX
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX-less atm...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Robert View Post
Please do not call my "equipment" vintage.
My "equipment" works perfectly well.

*Positive Waves Baby*
Lug Hole Loyalist / Chamfer Line Inspector
INFORTHE WIN
STEELINOX is offline   Reply With Quote