The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 18 October 2011, 07:13 PM   #1
jpl1986
"TRF" Member

Rolex GMT 1675 Questions

Dear Rolex Enthusiasts,

Recently I got an old Rolex from uncle.
A Rolex GMT 1675, from around 77-78, I was told.

I did some research about this watch, but I still have a few questions that I just can't find an answer to. Maybe you guys can help me?

What I understand is that the case numbers must be written between the legs at 6 o clock. But the number I see is RM26? I can't find this reference anywhere on the rolex serials lists on the internet.

On the other side it says Original Rolex Design.

I had the watch fully checked by a watchmaker and he insured me that the caliber 1560 is correct and original rolex. He also didn't understand the numbers on the case.

Also if you look at the case back, there is a infrasement, which I never seen before.

Here are some pictures:

Thank you very much in advance.

Kind regards,

Jean-paul
jpl1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2011, 12:37 AM   #2
michel33

Case is not original to the watch, in 1977/1978, the design wall still protected and the cases featured "Registered design" between the lugs.

In the eighties, the design fall in the public domain, so the mention between the lugs became "Orig(nal) design", just like yours. But the bad stamping (the "I" of "orig" is hardly visible) and the "RM 26" number makes me think of a fake case with proper movement/dial/hands.
Just my humble opinion however...

Maybe your uncle had the watch serviced elsewhere than a Rolex AD or a Rolex RSC?
michel33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2011, 04:37 AM   #3
Submarino
"TRF" Member

Watch: them for me!
The RM-296 looks pretty 'fishy'. Never seen a Rolex with such type of engraving at 6 o'clock.

The 24h hand looks 'weird' in terms of color and the end of it doesn't look right, additionally the hands don't match the dial and the bottom biggest gear inside the movement should be gold and not silver.

Can you post more closeup shots of the dial and hands?

Instagram @watchcollectinglifestyle

Submarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2011, 07:17 AM   #4
Submarino
"TRF" Member

Watch: them for me!
Took a closer look at the picture of the movement and the 'Montres Rolex...' engraving looks funky as well.

Instagram @watchcollectinglifestyle

Submarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2011, 09:07 AM   #5
sierra11b
"TRF" Member

Watch: MkXVIII, 3570.50
This one has me scratching my head.

After market case? Makes me wonder what "RM" could possibly mean? "Re-make" "Rolex Model" ?

Mk1 Dial? :Shrug:

What information did your Uncle give you about the watch? Is he the original owner?
sierra11b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2011, 09:16 AM   #6
Paul
"TRF" Member

I think the Dutch fellas made the right call .....

This watch was discussed on the Dutch Rolex Forum in recent days - no mention of it being a gift from an uncle though

http://www.rolexforum.nl/topic.php?id=15174

My rudimentary command of the Dutch language tells me they concluded it was decidedly franken
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2011, 09:37 AM   #7
bazin
"TRF" Member

Hi Jean-paul,
I am not an expert, however I am the first owner of a 1675 GMT which I purchased in the Netherlands in 1978.......
Comparing your pictures and my own watch I can see that the "GMT-Master" and other printing at the under half of the dial is not correct compared with my 1675:
-The "topline" of the text GMT-Master and the tops of the dots at 4 and 8 o'clock are in one straight line with my watch.
-The distances between the 3x textlines GMT-Master etc. are different with your watch and equally with my watch; furthermore the relative positions of the capitals of textline 1 versus 2 and 2 versus 3 are sometimes different, your watch compared with mine.
Further things that wonder me:...the cyclops is not exactly above the date showed....the upper guard at the winding crown seems to be wider (breder) than the lower guard, however that can be disformation due to the viewangle...
The complete bezel looks funky imo due to the total height of the bezelring and the positions of the "grip-ribs".........the 24 hour hand is repainted which is not a reel problem imo........
Ik vind het rot voor je om vast te stellen dat deze 1675 op basis van de beoordelingen/opmerkingen hier (en in Ned. op het RF) hoogstwaarschijnlijk (groten)deels niet origineel is........
Veel sterkte toegewenst,
Ruud
bazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2011, 09:51 AM   #8
mike
"TRF" Member

A 1560 movement would be earlier than 1978. I'd say at best the 24 hr. hand has been relumed.

I have some questions about the insert as well. The case..????

My guess would be an earlier movement that has had a lot of questionable parts added to it.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2011, 09:56 AM   #9
Coldcuts113
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
All this valuable info and no response from OP?
Coldcuts113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2011, 10:49 AM   #10
toph
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Brellum,
ok 1) 1560 movement was only used until 1967/68. The 1560 came with a butterfly rotor too. But that was often changed during later service. Your movement also looks very badly engraved IMHO
so around 67 /68 the 1570 movement was used in the GMT 1675's.
Your dial variant is also at at least 5 years to early for a 77-78 model. this is IMHO a late 60's dial.

"Where no counsel is the people fall, but in the multitude of counselors there is safety."

Member No.# 11795
toph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2011, 02:25 AM   #11
pdoukas
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing Duke bball
Everything about this watch screams run. And since the OP has not responded to any of the responses AND due to the fact that this watch has been discussed in another forum, I am under the opinion that this is a fishing expedition by someone to determine if they could get away with selling this disaster without anyone catching on. Just my opinion and I apologize if I have stepped my bounds.

Pete
pdoukas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2011, 02:55 AM   #12
conrail
"TRF" Member

This is most likely what the "RM-296" marking is from: http://www.watchestar.com/rm296-king...an-p-3562.html and http://www.replicamastershop.com/hig...tch-p-296.html

The replica/fake community.
Old 20 October 2011, 04:26 AM   #13
jpl1986
"TRF" Member

Thank-you everyone to be honest I bought this watch on a dutch watch fair and I wanted an honest opininion about the watch without everyon e being influenced by me telling I was stupid enough for trusting the seller. I hope he will at the next fair so I can have an interesting conversation with him about honesty and morals

Thank-you guys for your help. I hope I can trace the seller and come to a solution.
I have learned my lesson!

Gr Jean paul
jpl1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2011, 12:07 PM   #14
soundserious
"TRF" Member

you're going to talk to your uncle about honesty and morals?

riiiight
soundserious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2011, 12:09 PM   #15
kyle L
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer I
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpl1986 View Post
Thank-you everyone to be honest I bought this watch on a dutch watch fair and I wanted an honest opininion about the watch without everyon e being influenced by me telling I was stupid enough for trusting the seller. I hope he will at the next fair so I can have an interesting conversation with him about honesty and morals

Thank-you guys for your help. I hope I can trace the seller and come to a solution.
I have learned my lesson!

Gr Jean paul
If you have the dealer's info, you should definitely contact him and voice your concerns.
kyle L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2011, 12:09 PM   #16
soundserious
"TRF" Member

obvious fake and obvious liar
soundserious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2011, 12:34 PM   #17
toph
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Brellum,
Quote:
Originally Posted by viknijjar View Post
you're going to talk to your uncle about honesty and morals?

riiiight
no he only said uncle because he didnt want us all to say what an idiot he was for buying it, and actually find out what he actually had

"Where no counsel is the people fall, but in the multitude of counselors there is safety."

Member No.# 11795
toph is offline   Reply With Quote