The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 November 2011, 01:52 AM   #1
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, Omega
Anti Reflection

I'm new to Rolex and am thinking of buying a DSSD (currently own a couple of Breitlings). One thing intrigues me though - why don't Rolex use an anti-reflection coating on their crystals? I understand just the date lens (or area it covers) is coated? With my Breitling watches the glasses are coated so that one can easily see the watch dial etc at any angle but on Rolex watches you often get flare.

I'm just trying to evaluate in my mind whether I will be able to cope with the reflections etc or whether it wil be too annoying?

Many thanks
P2725TMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2011, 01:54 AM   #2
Mickey®
Banned

Watch: Swiss Made
Quote:
Originally Posted by P2725TMB View Post
I'm new to Rolex and am thinking of buying a DSSD (currently own a couple of Breitlings). One thing intrigues me though - why don't Rolex use an anti-reflection coating on their crystals? I understand just the date lens (or area it covers) is coated? With my Breitling watches the glasses are coated so that one can easily see the watch dial etc at any angle but on Rolex watches you often get flare.

I'm just trying to evaluate in my mind whether I will be able to cope with the reflections etc or whether it wil be too annoying?

Many thanks
To my knowledge Rolex uses anti reflective coating under the crystal.

They don't put it on the outside of the crystal...thank God. Have you ever seen an Omega for example who's anti reflec coating has been scratched up?
UGGLLYYY!
Mickey® is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2011, 02:11 AM   #3
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Is that the case? When I looked at a DSSD in the AD it seemed to show quite bad reflections and looking at pics of other people's watches on this forum they too seem to show reflections, whereas my Breitlings don't, at all.
Old 28 November 2011, 02:13 AM   #4
Mickey®
Banned

Someone will chime in but yes Rolex uses anti reflective coating UNDER the watch.
Some use on top and under which look great until the top gets scratched!

Maybe I'm wrong...many here know much more than I.
Old 28 November 2011, 03:04 AM   #5
thewatchguy93
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy gold..
Breitlings use a blue-ish AR coating.. Looks real good, to my knowledge I tought Rolex only coat the cyclops.. Maybe wrong!

www.thewatchguyofficial.co.uk

Got a GREEN Submariner 116610LV.. Visit the official thread here! http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=179580

Don't forget to visit the Rolex & Attire thread too! http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=215077
thewatchguy93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2011, 03:08 AM   #6
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingoo93 View Post
Breitlings use a blue-ish AR coating.. Looks real good, to my knowledge I tought Rolex only coat the cyclops.. Maybe wrong!
From reading previous posts on here that was my understanding - for some reason just the area beneath the cyclops has anti-reflection treatment, not the rest of the glass. If this is the case I'm intrigued to know why.
Old 28 November 2011, 03:50 AM   #7
Mickey®
Banned

Quote:
From reading previous posts on here that was my understanding - for some reason just the area beneath the cyclops has anti-reflection treatment, not the rest of the glass. If this is the case I'm intrigued to know why.
Where are the experts when we need them!

I am 99% positive they use AR under the entire dial. I think just recently they have also added it under the cyclops too...

Now I'm second guessing myself! LOL
Old 28 November 2011, 04:18 AM   #8
Jetjock

Watch: DJII 116333
Where is Peter when you need him?
Jetjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2011, 04:27 AM   #9
dricig
"TRF" Member

If in fact Rolex uses any anti-reflective coating at all on the crystal they should try harder since it does not do a thing!

Actually, I do not think they use any at all except under the cyclops on some models.

I would like to see some sort of AR applied on the inside to minimize some reflection and not on the outside where it scratches easily.

dave
dricig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2011, 04:41 AM   #10
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Mr James Dowling asked this question from one of the top executive of R. at Basel in 2009
"Will Rolex introduce AR coatings on the glass?
No, except on the cyclops; if AR coating is used the glass essentially disappears, this is not something Rolex wish to do. In all Rolex watches the glass is an integral part of the design of the watch, which is why it sits above the bezel. "

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2011, 04:43 AM   #11
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
They only use on the cyclops, that's why a Rolex still has "glass", if you know what I mean.
Old 28 November 2011, 04:56 AM   #12
kokota
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Besides the AR under the cyclops on the later models, I'm pretty sure the new EXP II 42mm has it under the entire crystal only on the black dial.
kokota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2011, 04:58 AM   #13
JIFF1975

Watch: SDDS, 116610LV
Rolex doesn't use AR coating but they should. At least at the underside of the crystal...

But that should be an easy mod...
JIFF1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2011, 06:07 AM   #14
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passionata View Post
Mr James Dowling asked this question from one of the top executive of R. at Basel in 2009
No, except on the cyclops; if AR coating is used the glass essentially disappears, this is not something Rolex wish to do. In all Rolex watches the glass is an integral part of the design of the watch, which is why it sits above the bezel. "
I do find that amazing as they are in effect suggesting that seeing reflections in the glass is enhancing, but I have to say I don’t think it is. I’d have thought it much better, and certainly more efficient as a watch, to employ the technology available to reduce or eliminate reflections as much as possible as I truly can’t see how they enhance the use nor enjoyment of the watch. Bizarre!
Old 28 November 2011, 06:36 AM   #15
zeuloa
"TRF" Member

Watch: SEA-DWELLER
Quote:
My opinion is they are perfect as is. I've never had any issues telling the time due to rfelections, but had plenty of joy enjoying the way the glass sits!
zeuloa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2011, 07:26 AM   #16
dooder202
Banned

Watch: DateJust
Quote:
I do find that amazing as they are in effect suggesting that seeing reflections in the glass is enhancing, but I have to say I don’t think it is. I’d have thought it much better, and certainly more efficient as a watch, to employ the technology available to reduce or eliminate reflections as much as possible as I truly can’t see how they enhance the use nor enjoyment of the watch. Bizarre!
Well I can definitely see why they want to keep the look of the glass. It's part of the design for them - having the glass gloss and reflect. I love it actually. Very appealing and classic.

Btw, never had a problem reading the time.

Now the anti-reflection treatment under the cyclops is definitely necessary IMO. I had a datejust once that didn't have the AG and it was difficult to read the date.
dooder202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2011, 07:37 AM   #17
RXPete
"TRF" Member

What a coincidence. I just emailed a someone today to see if they can add a AR coating on my SubC. Unlike some people posting here, I find it difficult to tell the time under certain conditions. The reflections are annoying. I guess I've been spoiled by my Breitlings and Omegas.

If I can still find this thread when I get a response, I'll let you know what he says about the modification. I'm scared that it'll void the Rolex warranty though.
OMEGA SMP 300 GMT "Great White"2538.20 &"Electric Blue"2255.80
OCEAN7 LM-3
RXPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2011, 07:52 AM   #18
MP5
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeuloa View Post
My opinion is they are perfect as is. I've never had any issues telling the time due to rfelections, but had plenty of joy enjoying the way the glass sits!
Agree, EXCEPT Rolex scrapped the above the bezel with the ceramic models. Since glass isn't part of the new Rolex design they should have been ARd. Rolex will scrap a classic design element yet justify keeping an annoyance
MP5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2011, 08:12 AM   #19
dricig
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This is a strange statement by Rolex since the elimination or reduction of glare on any instrument is an improvement. I have had both Breitlings and a Revue Thommen with AR that made the glass all but disappear! A good thing!

I understand the tradition and design thing, but AR coating would be a plus on any Rolex. The competition has them beat on this item.

dave
Old 28 November 2011, 08:25 AM   #20
Mickey®
Banned

My opinions...
I'm glad Rolex doesn't have it (now that I know for sure) under the "glass".
I thank GOD they don't do it on the outside like Omega. One of the reasons I got rid of a couple Omegas. Hated when I'd see scuffed/scratched AR.
If this is a tradition and design standard that keeps them from using it... I wouldn't put it past Rolex to change it ...Have you seen some of the new "non" traditional "designs" they have put out recently!

Like most things Rolex is slow to move. HEY did you hear BIG watches are in!!! 5 years ago !!!
Old 28 November 2011, 08:26 AM   #21
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

My thoughts exactly, dricig, I cannot see how any sort of clarity reducing reflections can possbly be seen as an asset. Its the big dilemma for me right now - if I invest in a DSSD will I be able to put up with annoying reflections or would I just end up moving the watch on for a loss. I think Rolex's attiture is very odd indeed, particularly as the glass doesn't entirely dissappear with AR, it just does what it says on the can, reduces reflections.
Old 28 November 2011, 08:31 AM   #22
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

I assume the AR coating is on the inside of my Breitling glasses. Anyway one in particular has had a hard 10 years of virtually everyday use and, whilst the case is scratched there's certainly no signs of any scratches on the glass surface. Its also why I might find living with reflections should I invest in a Rolex so difficult after living without them for so long!
Old 28 November 2011, 09:02 AM   #23
Gundam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My thoughts exactly, dricig, I cannot see how any sort of clarity reducing reflections can possbly be seen as an asset. Its the big dilemma for me right now - if I invest in a DSSD will I be able to put up with annoying reflections or would I just end up moving the watch on for a loss. I think Rolex's attiture is very odd indeed, particularly as the glass doesn't entirely dissappear with AR, it just does what it says on the can, reduces reflections.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dricig View Post
This is a strange statement by Rolex since the elimination or reduction of glare on any instrument is an improvement. I have had both Breitlings and a Revue Thommen with AR that made the glass all but disappear! A good thing!

I understand the tradition and design thing, but AR coating would be a plus on any Rolex. The competition has them beat on this item.

dave

I agree. Particularly with a flat crystal.

Underside AR would be a significant improvement... To argue otherwise is rather 'Emperor's new clothes', I feel...

Given a choice - should Rolex offer it - i'd wager the majority of consumers would opt for having it than not. I suspect most would less forgiving of this shortcoming were it any other brand.
Gundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2011, 09:07 AM   #24
Gundam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hmm... An unconvincing statement... They could say similar to argue for lack of AR on the cyclops too...
Gundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2011, 09:14 AM   #25
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
That Rolex shine is part of the appeal for me. Having the anti reflective mater underneath the cyclops also means there is less chance of it being damaged. When it's on top of the glass and it gets scratched you might as well just peal it all off.

I for one vote to keep it the way it is. The Rolex Glass Shine is Great to look at!!

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2011, 09:17 AM   #26
dricig
"TRF" Member

One things for sure,
Our Rolex's would be a lot easier to photograph if they had AR

dave
Old 28 November 2011, 09:31 AM   #27
Fifth Ave Rolex Man

Watch: 16520A30
I get my prescription glasses coated with the Crizal Blue Sapphire process.
It's the best anti glare coating made for lenses.
I'm wondering if they've ever coated a Rolex Sapphire Xtal with the same treatment!
Fifth Ave Rolex Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2011, 09:39 AM   #28
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
I wouldn't want the blue hue adding to my Rolex crystal. Classic watches like the Sub and SeaDweller have always been black and white! I've never had any trouble seeing the time and I wore a Breitling Colt for about two years prior to my Rolex.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2011, 03:59 AM   #29
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Sounds like its a case of personal preference, although I myself am definitely in the reduced reflection camp. I suspect reflections might be less noticeable with a white faced dial than darker one. On my Breitlings (sorry to keep mentioning that name) the AR gives a pinkinsh tinge when angled, which I don't find unpleasant, but is invisible (as are reflections) when viewed square on.

I suspect that ultimately Rolex will provide AR - perhaps they are waiting until a colourless material can be created. I agree with the comment that expensive lesser brands would find it much less likely to have a sympathetic view should they not employ AR.

My personal decission is, if I invest in a DSSD (or other Rolex) could I live with dreaded reflections!