The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watch Reviews (Non-Rolex)

Old 29 November 2011, 07:28 PM   #1
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Mini Review: Orient Mako XL

Hey guys,

Been looking for a nice diver under $1,500 and I chanced upon this Orient FEM75001B (same as CEM version in every way except mine's for international distribution). It was way below budget and it's design really sang to me so I jumped on it, even though I have a Seiko Sea Urchin on the way. I guess I'll just have to compare and see which to keep and which to sell...

Anyway here's a front view:

Main thing I like about it is the overall design which is very clean with just the right amount of text/markings. The case design and build is top quality. The interplay between polished and brushed areas is very well thought out and adds flair to your usual toneau shape.

The bezel is exceptionally designed and put together; rotation is firm with no play reminiscent of Omega/Breitling bezels, however it's marked 60 instead of the usual triangle - which could be disorientating but you get used to it.

The hands and dial markers are very sharp looking, very business-like. I actually prefer it to the Seiko's which are too large and in your face (though Seiko would be better under water, I assume). Lume isn't bright and it fades quite quickly, this is a common gripe about this watch.

Bracelet is also 22mm all around. Secured with push-pins. Bracelet is comfortable enough but it's quality is not on the same high level as the watch itself.

Here's the bracelet clasp:

Clasp is very secure with side pushers and also a lock. Lock on my watch isn't exactly snap-tight but it does the job adequately enough.

Here are some side-view shots:

Note how flat the watch is. That's the main reason why it doesn't feel so big even if it's 44.5mm! End links are hollow and could have been designed better. Again, adding to the overall feeling that the bracelet was where they skipped putting more effort in in order to save on cost - which I totally agree with, rather than for them to skimp on the watch.

Another thing to pay attention to is the Day pusher above the crown. It's not screwed in, so if you're a diver, this is something to pay attention to. Crown is screw down and is quite diminuitive but is easy enough to manipulate.

Movement is Orient's own 46943, 21 Jewel movement. It's not advertised as being COSC, in fact it's rated at something like +-20 secs/ day but some users have claimed to get to within COSC rates of accuracy so I guess you'll have to evaluate it yourself. I personally don't really mind the ratings as long as it's accurate to within a minute since I usually rotate my watches and set the time right before using anyway.

Overall, love the case, how it sits on your wrist, bezel, dial and PRICE! Although adequate, I will be on the lookout for alternatives for the bracelet. But, it'll do for now. The lume is nothing great, just adequate same as the bracelet. Other than the lume and band, this is one exceptional timepiece. Unbelievable quality at this price.

If you're on the fence, I highly recommend you grab yours before Orient gets wise and jacks up the prices or discontinues this and releases some weird update.

That's it for me! Thanks for looking!

lorsban
Old 30 November 2011, 12:28 AM   #2
eric23
"TRF" Member

Great review!
eric23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2011, 01:22 AM   #3
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric23 View Post
Great review!
Thanks eric23!
Old 30 November 2011, 05:39 AM   #4
DenizKSK

Watch: SEIKO Ananta DR
Nice photos and a useful review.
DenizKSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2011, 06:43 AM   #5
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Nice stuff.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2011, 09:56 AM   #6
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Thanks guys! Just thought I'd show something that's good quality without being expensive.
Old 30 November 2011, 12:18 PM   #7
Maxtor
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Exp 1, DJ Tuxedo
Great review. Please do a comparable one for the Seiko Sea Urchin if you can. I always liked that one (especially in blue).
Maxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2011, 04:24 PM   #8
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxtor View Post
Great review. Please do a comparable one for the Seiko Sea Urchin if you can. I always liked that one (especially in blue).
Yes i'll do just that right when it arrives in a week or 2.
Old 30 November 2011, 08:53 PM   #9
planatlas
"TRF" Member

The Best Orient I think in the market for price/quality.

I have one with a lot of years.
planatlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2011, 01:00 AM   #10
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planatlas View Post
The Best Orient I think in the market for price/quality.

I have one with a lot of years.
Yes i think so too because I saw the original mako and also the 2ER sub homage and the XL seems as if it was made by a different company. The quality standard seems to be much higher.
Old 1 December 2011, 05:52 PM   #11
Watchonisto
Banned

Watch: AP, ROLEX, PP, PAM
Good review
Watchonisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2011, 01:07 PM   #12
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by r-l-x View Post
Good review
Thanks bro!
Old 7 December 2011, 09:48 AM   #13
Rags
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16233,16610,214270
I really like that watch but at 44.5mm it's just too big for my 7 1/4 wrist. If it was made in either 38mm or 40mm I'd jump on it.

114300 Oyster Perpetual
76200 Tudor Date+Day
Rags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2011, 09:52 AM   #14
brkanand
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 4=YMDaytonaGMTHulk
Impressive review. Keep posting!
brkanand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2011, 11:29 PM   #15
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags View Post
I really like that watch but at 44.5mm it's just too big for my 7 1/4 wrist. If it was made in either 38mm or 40mm I'd jump on it.
My wrist is smaller at 6.75". Back then, I used to think that 36mm was too big. Nowadays, I wouldn't wear anything less than 40mm. In other words its something you get used to. Again, since this watch is pretty flat, it masks its bulk well.
Old 21 December 2011, 04:57 PM   #16
watchnewby

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorsban View Post
Thanks guys! Just thought I'd show something that's good quality without being expensive.
Thank you for a nice review on the Blue Mako. Agreed with your above comment that some good quality stuff need not be expensive.
watchnewby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2011, 11:18 PM   #17
Maxtor
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Exp 1, DJ Tuxedo
Did you get your Sea Urchin? Looking forward to that review. Happy holidays.
Maxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2011, 02:30 PM   #18
watchnewby

Great pictures and review, lorsban.
Please share with us a comparson with the Seiko Sea Urchin if you are free.
I love Seiko and Orient pieces apart from Rolex.
watchnewby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2012, 01:04 PM   #19
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchnewby View Post
Great pictures and review, lorsban.
Please share with us a comparson with the Seiko Sea Urchin if you are free.
I love Seiko and Orient pieces apart from Rolex.
Here's a review I made:

http://www.philippinewatchclub.org/f...p?f=21&t=11081
Old 8 March 2012, 12:09 AM   #20
Tempusfugitus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 5513
Although I love my Sub-C, I have a soft spot for Orient Makos and have one of these XLs on the way with the orange face. I also have the original Mako in blue on its steel bracelet and a black Mako on a Bond NATO. I also got carried away and bought my son a couple of the Pepsi Makos. He's very happy and has completely fallen out of love with his quartz watches!

They are very cheap indeed for what you are getting, look fantastic, more accurate in my experience than their official ratings, and pretty tough. For knocking about outdoors, or venturing into non-Rolex-friendly urban environments, I wear my Makos rather than my Sub. I'm not too bothered about lume.

The ironic thing here in the UK is that everyone has heard of Seiko, and sees it as an everyday quartz brand (although this is not true), whereas no one has heard of Orient, so it is a bit of a talking point especially when they see it is an auto.

The non-SEL bracelet is supposed to work loose and jangle. Mine haven't. This might be a problem if the watch is worn too tight, I would imagine.

I agree with the OP that the price has got to go up, especially here in the UK with our weak pound.
Tempusfugitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2012, 04:26 PM   #21
nishant
"TRF" Member

Watch: JLC NS Chrono GMT
thanks for the review.. i ve always wanted one
nishant is offline   Reply With Quote