The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 14 December 2011, 04:01 AM   #1
mks4
"TRF" Member

Watch: es
1675 Picture...

So, would love to hear some thoughts (post-haste, albeit). 1.5M SN bought today. I really like the patina.

The picture isn't great...I'm new at this, so I know the case condition is tough to see.

Thanks!
Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0759.jpg (68.5 KB, 275 views)
mks4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2011, 04:03 PM   #2
GlennW
"TRF" Member

Mike,

Are you sure on the serial number? 1.5M might be a little late for pointed crown guards?
GlennW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2011, 06:07 PM   #3
mks4
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the feedback...interesting... The SN is 1.503xxx, so quite early. Does this make a difference in your opinion? I will get out the loupe and ensure it, though. Thanks!
Old 14 December 2011, 09:25 PM   #4
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mks4 View Post
Thanks for the feedback...interesting... The SN is 1.503xxx, so quite early. Does this make a difference in your opinion? I will get out the loupe and ensure it, though. Thanks!
Yeah, check the serial number. That does seem a bit late for a 1.5mil.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2011, 12:55 AM   #5
pdoukas
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing Duke bball
1.5 Mil should be somewhere around 66 and 67. That looks to be a pointed crown guard model which would come before that date range. Also, if that is the case, dial is incorrect. That dial is a MK1 which would not be on a PCG watch. Lastly, patina on dial and hands match except for the red hour hand. The red hour hand looks darker.

Pete
pdoukas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2011, 02:54 AM   #6
mks4
"TRF" Member

Well, not good. Im now thinking that what I thought was a one to lead the serial numberis a scratch! Is it possible this is a 500,xxx sn? If so, this will be a nasty gilt dial to source, yes. I suppose I can slightly limit the pain by selling the dial in there now. Any thoughts on where to find a dial other than checking the typical sources every week or so?

Thanks so much.
Old 15 December 2011, 08:14 PM   #7
lupus
"TRF" Member

some cases were "modified" to pointy guards....
lupus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2011, 01:06 AM   #8
pdoukas
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing Duke bball
A few things to mention. 500xxx runs between 1959 and 1960, which is possible to have a PCG case. You need to do a couple of things here. You need to remove the case back and look at the inside and see what it says. It should have a mark at the bottom that says something similar to II59 or III60. If so, then the case back, and additionally the serial number, pretty much confirm it is an early PCG model. However, the movement should say 1560 stamped on it. If not, then it is the incorrect movement for the watch. However, that's only if it is a 1959 or 1960 case. As Lupus said, the case may have been modified, so it is really important to determine if the serial is correct. As for the dial, the correct dial would be the minute track dial with exclamation point similar to this:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/53958...osted+by+Finob. That dial is going to be tough to source, and expensive, but in the end, if the case, case back, and movement pan out then you'll have a great watch.

For some good reading: http://doubleredseadweller.com/gmt.htm

Also, I've seen relumed exclamation dials on ebay from time to time. Also, put a WTB ad in VRF and in here. Search daily, as it is a rare dial to come by.

Finally, if this is too much to swallow, ask the seller if you can return as it seems that the item was not described as "original". Authentic and original are two very different definitions and legally "discoverable" terms. For example, I have an "authentic" 16760 insert for my GMT, but not "original" insert.

Good luck,

Pete

Last edited by pdoukas; 16 December 2011 at 01:12 AM.. Reason: want to add more info
pdoukas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2011, 12:48 PM   #9
soundserious
"TRF" Member

for what it's worth my 1.5 mill is a non-PCG gilt dial with small 24-hr hand
soundserious is offline   Reply With Quote