The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 January 2012, 09:23 PM   #1
sid8
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 2 & Explorer 2
disappointed

hello
i was keen to see what all the excitement was all about with the rolex submariner watches that most TRF members seem to have, so i went and tried a couple of used watches on.

what a disappointment

they felt ever so tinny and cheap, compared to my DJ2

they were from 2003, are the new models on sale now just the same?

i dont want to upset fans of these watches but it has put me off considering one as my second rolex.

cheers sid
sid8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2012, 09:29 PM   #2
sunshine9393
"TRF" Member

Watch: es are NICE!
Maybe give the new ceramic subs a try before you shut that door altogether. They are bigger and heftier and thus may appeal to you more.
sunshine9393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2012, 09:38 PM   #3
ArcticMoose
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine9393 View Post
Maybe give the new ceramic subs a try before you shut that door altogether. They are bigger and heftier and thus may appeal to you more.
+1

For better or for worse, the current Submariner range is heftier, solid clasp, larger case, thicker bezel, bolder dial, fatter lugs and much heavier.
ArcticMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2012, 09:44 PM   #4
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
If you like DJ2 you will probably like the Sub-C and SDDS better than the old ones.
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2012, 09:56 PM   #5
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticMoose View Post
+1

For better or for worse, the current Submariner range is heftier, solid clasp, larger case, thicker bezel, bolder dial, fatter lugs and much heavier.
Well its about 24grams heavier which less than one ounce.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2012, 10:00 PM   #6
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
The older tinny feeling watches have been in use for a very long time. Rolex built their reputation of building durable and dependable watches on these tinny pieces of metal. So they must have done pretty well during this period of time.

However some people prefer the older version as some prefer the newer beefer versions more. I personally prefer a little bit of both.

Maybe you should take a look at some of their newer offerings and see if you don't like those better.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2012, 10:02 PM   #7
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

I'm very much in the same boat, the new clasps are so good it makes the old ones feel a bit underwhelming in comparison. The new Sub C's bracelet and clasp would be much more to your liking
The GMT Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2012, 10:02 PM   #8
ArcticMoose
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Well its about 24grams heavier which less than one ounce.
I was thinking perception more than actual weight difference. Now that I think about it I haven't actually handled a SS Sub-C, but my TT Sub-C feels substantially heavier than my SS LV, but for good reason, of course.
ArcticMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2012, 10:08 PM   #9
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticMoose View Post
I was thinking perception more than actual weight difference. Now that I think about it I haven't actually handled a SS Sub-C, but my TT Sub-C feels substantially heavier than my SS LV, but for good reason, of course.
X2

Although there may not be that much difference in actual weight, I know at the end of the day I can tell a difference after wearing my 116710 versus wearing my 16610LV. The 16610LV simply feels alot lighter and a bit more comfortable.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2012, 10:30 PM   #10
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
What myself cannot understand today why is being heavier in watches perceived as being better,there is a old saying the heavier you are the harder you fall.And when you look back say over the past 40 years on the millions upon millions of Rolex watches produced.Yet I would say that the majority of those are still alive and ticking so even the old ones must have been built rather well and stood the test of time.Todays Rolex watches get a very pampered life in general so is heavier going to be any better would seriously doubt it.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2012, 10:48 PM   #11
sid8
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 2 & Explorer 2
thanks for the comments
i never tried on any other style of rolex when i bought mine as i really liked the DJ2 in the window of the AD, my wife then bought her 26mm lady DJ so this is all i have had experience with.
its not just the weight that put me off it was the overall feel of the watch and strap

when i next go to the AD i will try on some brand new ones (then start saving) if they feel different

cheers sid
sid8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2012, 10:53 PM   #12
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Maybe it's just not for you.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2012, 11:09 PM   #13
btrue

Watch: GMT IIC; PAM 005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
Maybe it's just not for you.
dP
X2! I went to my AD to try on a few watches yesterday and the sub felt anything but tinny and cheap.

Also tried a few PAM models and some PP's, but that is for another thread!
btrue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2012, 11:10 PM   #14
btrue

Watch: GMT IIC; PAM 005
Oops!

Last edited by btrue; 15 January 2012 at 11:17 PM.. Reason: Double post
btrue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2012, 11:10 PM   #15
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, Omega
I can see where you're coming from - there's a feeling, often wrong, that weight suggests better build quality. In the case of Rolex watches this isn't necessarily factual but I do myself much prefer a heavier watch - don't ask me why but I do, it just feels more substantial.

I have a small luxury brand that makes, amongst other things, cufflinks often using aluminium originating from famous cars and aeroplanes. Aluminium is a great metal but it’s very light, which, in the aerospace and automotive industries is a bonus, of course. But when making cufflinks out of it we often have to involve gold or other heavier metals to add weight as people prefer a heavier cufflink as it suggests, totally illogically, quality and getting more for your money - even though a lighter cufflink is a plus surely.

Anyway, if you want a heavy well built Rolex, go for the Deep Sea, it’s an amazing piece of engineering, and reassuringly weighty on the wrist too!
P2725TMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2012, 11:15 PM   #16
JustABreathAway
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Reference
I like the images of the Subs we see here on TRF, however they do nothing for me in real life.

How about a new GMTIIc? I think this watch has much more presence in the flesh than in the images posted here, and it's not terribly dissimilar from the sub as far as overall gestalt. Just a thought.
JustABreathAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2012, 11:27 PM   #17
venton
"TRF" Member

TT subs feel a fair bit heavier, might be worth a try.
venton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2012, 11:30 PM   #18
slcbbrown
"TRF" Member

Watch: 50's TT t-bird
Maybe Rolex just isn't for you. If you think a Sub is light and cheap, wait till you see a Patek.
slcbbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2012, 11:36 PM   #19
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Try the new ceramic Subs..

They definately have a more solid feel.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2012, 11:52 PM   #20
Byrdguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub C LV,
I guess that's why Rolex makes so many different models. Something for everybody. If you don't like the Sub, don't buy one. I 'm a Sub man through and through, been wearing one since '86. I have a SubcLV and don't think I'll ever part with it and it does feel more substantial than the earlier 16610 versions, but I never thought those felt "tinny". All Rolexes are cool IMHO, go try a bunch of them on. One will sing to you.
Byrdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2012, 12:03 AM   #21
bigwatchman
"TRF" Member

I know what you mean. The first time I tried on a Rolex, I thought the same thing. My first DJ, I thought it was tinny and light. Then I got used to it. I recently traded it for a Sub and first time I tried it on, same feeling, tinny and light. Its been on my wrist a month and feels normal. No different from my DJ. I don't notice anything inferior about it. All I see is a classy watch that is a classic. To each their own I guess.
bigwatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2012, 01:00 AM   #22
Mickey®
Banned

Watch: Swiss Made
Not every watch is for everyone...
There are few watches I like less than the DJ2...
41mm DJ?
Mickey® is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2012, 01:11 AM   #23
drgleeds37
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,AP,PAM,etc..
Did the watch you looked at have an SEL bracelet? If so that makes a bit of difference as well.

-Daniel
drgleeds37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2012, 01:33 AM   #24
(DMB)
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
What myself cannot understand today why is being heavier in watches perceived as being better,there is a old saying the heavier you are the harder you fall.And when you look back say over the past 40 years on the millions upon millions of Rolex watches produced.Yet I would say that the majority of those are still alive and ticking so even the old ones must have been built rather well and stood the test of time.Todays Rolex watches get a very pampered life in general so is heavier going to be any better would seriously doubt it.
Some people equate a heavy, thick, anvil-like case, to quality. In the same respect some people seek a dial with ridiculous amounts of lume that, "glows like a torch". Neither of which have anything to do with quality, yet are often used as a measuring stick [on watch forums] when rating a watch.
(DMB) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2012, 01:49 AM   #25
handsfull
"TRF" Member

Watch: youlookinat?
You want heft? Try on a DSSD.
handsfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2012, 01:52 AM   #26
Stonedcl
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116200, 116610
It's funny because I went to a ad to try on a sub I had my heart set on a 16610 and after trying on the no date sub I felt the same way.. It's the bracelet because it is hollow.. Then I tried on the gmt c and that was more like it .. Unfortunately they did not have a new sub c..
Stonedcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2012, 02:33 AM   #27
jimbones43
"TRF" Member

Back in 06 I was too but I wasn't worried about durability. I was disappointed Rolex would charge twice as much as competitive divers and offer such an inferior "looking" clasp and bracelet! But then you come to realize they did because they could! There was no need to upgrade until they actually did!! Plus that bracelet and clasp has stood the test of time!

Don't let it fool you! If you like that model I say go get it!!!
jimbones43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2012, 02:37 AM   #28
hatidua
"TRF" Member

If a watch feels tinny & cheap, don't try to convince yourself to buy it as you likely won't like it. When I was 15 years old, I bought a brand new Rolex 5513 (no-date sub, no SEL, probably more tinny & cheap than other subs). That was over 30 years ago and it's still my daily watch.....and has been for over three decades. It's not as hefty as the DSSD but if it can handle a typical teenager, then the usual doings of a college kid, daily wear as a professional underwater photographer, right onward to someone in their latter 40's, it must have at least a couple of parts in there that hold everything together.

Maybe try an Omega or something else entirely, Rolex isn't for everyone.
hatidua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2012, 02:46 AM   #29
general
"TRF" Member

I have tried both the sub c and the older sub, and the new one is more substantial.
general is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2012, 02:46 AM   #30
Lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710 PEPSI
Of course we are all entitled to our opinions but Rolex watches have been around for many decades and they have sold quite a few Subs in those years. And they would not still be in business if their products were not built of quality...so no one says you have to buy a Sub. If you do not like the watch find some other watch that you would enjoy and wear!!!

SS GMT-II 16710 PEPSI(Z-serial#)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEN AND BOYS IS THE PRICE OF THE TOYS!!!
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Doue Silver Barley
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Solitaire Doue Signum
Proud Card Carrying Member of the Curmudgeons.....Yikes!!!
Lion is offline   Reply With Quote