The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 4 March 2012, 08:10 AM   #1
avusblue
"TRF" Member

Omega X-33 Titanium Speedmaster Gen2 Review

Ahhh, it’s good to be back. I’ve been greatly enjoying my near-mint, complete, Second Generation Omega Speedmaster X-33:

A handsome watch that is so functional, yet subtle . . . practical, yet exotic . . . and overall, it’s just so very “legitimate”.

My backstory: I owned a Gen1 X-33 in the past, but at the time I didn’t fully warm up to its less integrated looks. I sold it. But I talked up the watch so much, that a good friend of mine bought one for himself; a Gen2, and every time I saw it I kicked myself that I should have one. The aesthetics of the Gen2 model really clicked with me, but I just admired my friend’s watch from afar. Then, recently, this inspiring thread nudged me to act. I missed out on this one a few weeks ago, due to my own sheer inattention. But I ended up being able to purchase that same watch from its buyer. Now, I’m really glad to own this very nice example (serial number 5.9 million), and I’m looking forward to enjoying it!

So -- what do I like about the X-33? This watch has so many attributes, it’s difficult to prioritize. And, is there anything to say about the X-33 that hasn’t already been said? Maybe not. But still, in no particularly logical order, here I go:

The X-33 is super legible, while being aesthetically appealing. The stark white hands, the matte black outer dial, the curved LCD readout that is intelligently designed and absolutely readable, yet can be shut off for austere cleanliness – wow, this watch tells time with exceptional clarity. And isn’t that what a watch has to be all about, first and foremost? Yet, the red-airplane-tipped seconds hand brings a dash of jaunty verve to an otherwise deadly serious watch, and elicits a smile every time I see it. Plus, there is a pleasant three-dimensionality to the dial that is hard to capture in pictures, with the recessed markers, the beveled chapter ring, and the multi-level outer dial. The X-33 is a handsome, visually interesting watch, without being frivolous. It is a functional work of art that is a pleasure to behold.

The X-33 is feature-packed, but in a way that makes each feature readily accessible and so easily useful. Everything is straightforward and intuitive. The richness of functionality, the flow of the modes, and the ease of setting each mode, were obviously well thought out.

Its workmanship and quality are impeccable. The way the whole watch is beautifully crafted . . . the contours of the case . . . the intricacy of the dial and precision of the bezel engraving . . . the smooth bezel action, with just the right amount of turning resistance . . . the domed sapphire crystal that looks like it’s not even there . . . everything is just top-shelf. All the bezel markings are laser engraved, with incredible precision; versus being printed on, which is how they look in pictures. Very impressive. Even the way the buttons “snap” with precision when they’re pressed is unlike any other watch – and evidence of sheer, high-quality, watchmanship. Plus, I got lucky; in that the accuracy of my example is as good as any HEQ I’ve owned – no noticeable timekeeping variation – and the hands align with the markers perfectly.

The X-33 is probably the world’s best travel watch, with three time zone capability, easy “fly-by-wire” resetting for time zone changes, a super loud alarm, and a combination of great lume with a fantastic backlight. It just works brilliantly as a real-world traveler’s companion and tool.

Lume pic courtesy of gslaskin

The lume on this watch is an appealing creamy vanilla color during the day, which provides a nice visual color contrast against the pure, snow-white hands and the black outer dial. And at night, the lume on this watch absolutely rocks! Very bright, and very long lasting, which is then further enhanced by the X-33’s super-bright electroluminescent backlight. Well done, Omega.

Nightlight pic courtesy of Jackhlin

“FLIGHT QUALIFIED BY NASA FOR SPACE MISSIONS”. The watch has a super authentic pedigree as a working space watch, and is preferred by astronauts, military aviators, soldiers & marines, and commercial pilots the world over. There is most likely at least one X-33 circling above us on the International Space Station at all times. You can’t say that about very many other watches!

The all-Titanium X-33 is super light weight, and therefore extremely comfortable to wear. The X-33 bracelet is about as good as it gets, too, from a quality, clasp, comfort, and appearance standpoint. And the X-33’s lustrous, grayish titanium-colored finish has a refined specialness that stands out from a parade of stainless steel watches.

The curvaceous lugs, and the bold contouring of the solid end links are very impressive. You don’t notice these in the typical “straight-on” pictures.

Size. Omega’s official specification states that the X-33 is a 42mm watch. Well, by my measurement, the bezel is 40mm in diameter, the crystal is 31mm in diameter, and the watch case itself is about 43-44mm wide when measuring from the 9:00 protrusion across to the 3:00 crown guards. This does not count the crown, which sticks out another 2-2.5mm past the guards. Personally, I think that watches generally “wear” relative to the diameter of their bezel. Because some of its width is made up of the case protrusions that serve as button & crown guards, the X-33 “wears” a fair amount smaller than its dimensions would indicate. And its titanium gray color and all-satin finish tone it down on the wrist, too. From a size and visual prominence standpoint I would equate it to “wearing” similar to an old-style 40mm Rolex sports watch, but less prominently than the new “supercase” Sub-C, even though both of those are spec’d at 40mm. The X-33 fits me very well.

Finally, this watch has that understated, stealthy desirability that I really appreciate. Its look is “technical”, versus “luxurious”, and certainly not brashly “prestigious.” Yet it carries itself with gravitas and significance. Very, very few people are going to notice or call out this watch as something as special or valuable as it is. For example, the “Omega” branding is so subtle as to be essentially unnoticeable. I like that. As such, the X-33 possesses a highly encoded, covert appeal that is singularly rare and oh-so desirable. A secret pleasure to privately savor, it represents an understated excellence that only is discernible by someone who’s in-the-know.

The X-33 is not perfect. You actually could argue that it is over-featured. Modes such as mission time, mission alarm, and universal time alarm are of little use to a ground-bound non-astronaut like me, and generate the need for some extra button pushes when scrolling through all the screens to get to the mode you want. Wishes? I wish the X-33 had a higher water resistance rating (mostly for peace of mind, not because I want to dive with it). Wish it had an hourly chime feature. I wish the finish had a super-hard protective coating like Grand Seiko’s or Citizen’s proprietary “scratchproof” titanium finishes. You could argue that a true "tool" watch ought to have drilled lug holes. It would have been cool if they would have put a little lume pip on the seconds hand -- maybe on the counterbalance section, a’la a Seiko diver. Finally (as long as it’s fantasy time), it would be awesome if the watch was solar powered and atomic-synched. Maybe in the next generation -- if that ever comes to pass….

But I’m nitpicking. Criticizing the X-33 for being “over-featured” is a little like disparaging a leopard for having spots, right? Overall -- the “form follows function” design of the X-33 is just so fundamental to the watch, and what makes it so appealing. And it does have that "specialness", that “legitimacy”, that “Right Stuff” air about it that is difficult to define, but so enjoyable to possess. A combination of a cool design, thoughtful functionality, high quality materials & finish, and lasting importance.

How do you define a classic? I might suggest a classic is a watch that has an authentic integrity about it . . . that stays relevant . . . stays in demand, stays useful, and stays attractive . . . even as the years pass, and despite having gone out of production for retail customers. The X-33? Check. Check. Check. Check. Check. Summary? I believe it’s earned a spot as one of the true classics of watchdom.

It’s definitely a milestone watch. A benchmark. A classic. And a keeper.

Cheers,

Dave

avusblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2012, 08:17 AM   #2
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,1680 Red,16660
Love it. Couldn't agree more. The X33 is on my list of watches to eventually pick up.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2012, 08:35 AM   #3
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
I agree with most of your review. I do have one small nit to pick, though. The only differences between the Gen I and Gen II versions are the red arrow (Gen I) v. the round marker (Gen II) at the 0 position of the bezel; and the crown. Admittedly, the Gen II crown is more user friendly, in that the settings can be managed without removing the watch from the wrist; in the Gen I version, you can only pull out the crown from underneath, necessitating that you take the watch off before pulling the crown out. Other than those two minor differences, the watches are essentially functionally identical.

And I love my Gen I X-33.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2012, 08:59 AM   #4
avusblue
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrolex View Post
The only differences between the Gen I and Gen II versions are the red arrow (Gen I) v. the round marker (Gen II) at the 0 position of the bezel; and the crown.
Well, in addition to the points you mentioned, the other visual difference (and to me it makes a meaningful difference) is that the Gen1 has a high-polished finish on the bezel and pushers. Some people prefer the Gen1 look, because it has a fair amount more shine. Here's the one I owned:

And the Gen2 has an all-over satin brushed finish, which some prefer (personally, I do) for its more uniform and subtle look:

Plus, the Gen1 has a unidirectional bezel, but the Gen2 bezel turns both directions. Also, the caseback decorations are different as well.

And yes, having owned them both, each version is a great watch -- and each have their fans. It's a little like the "polished versus brushed Oyster center links" debate amongst the Rolex gang.

Cheers,

Dave
Old 4 March 2012, 12:58 PM   #5
GTS Dean
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3570.50
A great review of a fine watch. I know one of the moonwalkers and he wears a Gen1 most of the time. He still wears a classic Speedy when he gives speeches. I have an SP and a Breitling Aero Ti. Frankly, I've never been particularly jazzed by the X-33.
GTS Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2012, 12:53 AM   #6
Docar
"TRF" Member

I looked at the Omega X-33 and the Breitling B-1 Superquartz when I was searching for a quality multifunction watch a few months ago.

I've owned Omegas for nearly forty years as my everyday watches. Still have, and wear, three Omegas including a Planet Ocean and a Seamaster GMT.

My criteria included an exceptionally loud alarm, second time zone, decent water resistance, and excellent accuracy.

Both the Breitling and Omega filled the bill, except for water resistance. I would have preferred at least 100 meters...I ended up with the Breitling because a pre-owned one became available at a good price.

Love the Breitling B-1 Superquartz. It is beautifully made, and the accuracy outstanding.

Am contemplating adding an X-33 to the collection because of reviews like this.

Congratulations on your acquisition....
Docar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2012, 02:39 AM   #7
avusblue
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the kind words, guys.

I was just thinking last night about how few X-33’s have probably been built. I don’t think anyone really knows, but I’d bet it’s a very small number – not just based on how infrequently they come onto the market, but also a couple other factors. First off, my Gen2 X-33 has a 5.9 million serial number, as does the Gen2 of my friend. The “usual” lore about linking Omega serial numbers to their year of production does not apply to the X-33: according to the common web references, a 5.9 million Omega serial would indicate 1999 production. (Google will yield several such sites, here is just one: Serial Number guide ) Yet the Gen2 was not even introduced until 2002, and lived in the active retail lineup for only a couple years. Meanwhile, my previously owned X-33 Gen1 was a 5.6 million serial, which would indicate 1998 production, but because it did not have any box or papers, I have no idea when it was actually produced or sold.

End result? I would speculate, even though I have no real basis to do so, that Omega made up (and serialized) a large number of cases in the 1998-99 timeframe, and has worked through that initial supply of stock for the entire lifespan of the X-33 -- which as we know isn’t over yet, due to the ongoing squadron purchase program and the continued supply of X-33's to International Space Station astronauts (well documented and frequently updated on the "News From Space" page of the ISS section of Omega's website).

Any other thoughts on this topic, or existing research anyone else can cite?

An interesting corollary – it is a commonly accepted estimate that Rolex produced a grand total of less than 25,000 OysterQuartz watches over that line’s almost-25-year span of retail availability. It is also commonly accepted lore that probably two-thirds of those watches were produced and serialized in the first two years of Oysterquartz availability (the 1977-79 timeframe). Meanwhile, Rolex probably made 25,000 conventional DateJusts per month during the same time! The OysterQuartz and the X-33 have a couple similarities to each other in that 1) they are modernized quartz-powered updates of classic “signature” models that defined each respective brand -- each quite unlike anything else the respective brands are known for, 2) both were relatively unsuccessful market flops when they were first introduced, and 3) now both are finding their niche amongst enthusiast collectors -- not just for their outright rarity, but because each offers unique, practical, utility that the more mainstream offerings from each respective brand do not provide.

Just for fun, here's a couple ISS pictures that are only a couple weeks old, as posted on Omega's "News From Space" section referenced above:

All the best,

Dave
Old 5 March 2012, 02:52 AM   #8
Rockrolex

Quote:
Originally Posted by avusblue View Post
Well, in addition to the points you mentioned, the other visual difference (and to me it makes a meaningful difference) is that the Gen1 has a high-polished finish on the bezel and pushers. Some people prefer the Gen1 look, because it has a fair amount more shine. Here's the one I owned:

And the Gen2 has an all-over satin brushed finish, which some prefer (personally, I do) for its more uniform and subtle look:

Plus, the Gen1 has a unidirectional bezel, but the Gen2 bezel turns both directions. Also, the caseback decorations are different as well.

And yes, having owned them both, each version is a great watch -- and each have their fans. It's a little like the "polished versus brushed Oyster center links" debate amongst the Rolex gang.

Cheers,

Dave
You're absolutely right on the additional differences, Dave. All I have to say is vive la difference!

Both are great versions of a really nice watch. One of the main reasons I got mine was the loud alarm. It's loud enough that I can hear it over the sound of the ocean when I'm lying on the beach. I've got my countdown timer set for 20 minutes. When the alarm goes off, I know it's time to "rotisserie" (as my daughter calls it), so I (hopefully) don't get burned on one side.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Old 5 March 2012, 02:55 AM   #9
Rockrolex

Quote:
Originally Posted by avusblue View Post
Thanks for the kind words, guys.

I was just thinking last night about how few X-33’s have probably been built. I don’t think anyone really knows, but I’d bet it’s a very small number – not just based on how infrequently they come onto the market, but also a couple other factors. First off, my Gen2 X-33 has a 5.9 million serial number, as does the Gen2 of my friend. The “usual” lore about linking Omega serial numbers to their year of production does not apply to the X-33: according to the common web references, a 5.9 million Omega serial would indicate 1999 production. (Google will yield several such sites, here is just one: Serial Number guide ) Yet the Gen2 was not even introduced until 2002, and lived in the active retail lineup for only a couple years. Meanwhile, my previously owned X-33 Gen1 was a 5.6 million serial, which would indicate 1998 production, but because it did not have any box or papers, I have no idea when it was actually produced or sold.

End result? I would speculate, even though I have no real basis to do so, that Omega made up (and serialized) a large number of cases in the 1998-99 timeframe, and has worked through that initial supply of stock for the entire lifespan of the X-33 -- which as we know isn’t over yet, due to the ongoing squadron purchase program and the continued supply of X-33's to International Space Station astronauts (well documented and frequently updated on the "News From Space" page of the ISS section of Omega's website).

Any other thoughts on this topic, or existing research anyone else can cite?

An interesting corollary – it is a commonly accepted estimate that Rolex produced a grand total of less than 25,000 OysterQuartz watches over that line’s almost-25-year span of retail availability. It is also commonly accepted lore that probably two-thirds of those watches were produced and serialized in the first two years of Oysterquartz availability (the 1977-79 timeframe). Meanwhile, Rolex probably made 25,000 conventional DateJusts per month during the same time! The OysterQuartz and the X-33 have a couple similarities to each other in that 1) they are modernized quartz-powered updates of classic “signature” models that defined each respective brand -- each quite unlike anything else the respective brands are known for, 2) both were relatively unsuccessful market flops when they were first introduced, and 3) now both are finding their niche amongst enthusiast collectors -- not just for their outright rarity, but because each offers unique, practical, utility that the more mainstream offerings from each respective brand do not provide.

Just for fun, here's a couple ISS pictures that are only a couple weeks old, as posted on Omega's "News From Space" section referenced above:

All the best,

Dave
Thanks for posting the ISS pics, Dave. Always good to see the X-33 in the wild.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Old 5 March 2012, 09:38 AM   #10
SennaFan
Banned

Watch: The Birdie
I like the GEn 2. I have one of the military issued Gen 2 on a strap. Nothing fancy and has some scratches and dents and dings, but it is a my daily and most practical watch ever.
SennaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2012, 10:56 AM   #11
bigwatchman
"TRF" Member

Dave, nice update. Glad you are enjoying the Omega. Very interesting watch. Enjoy.
bigwatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2012, 11:37 AM   #12
WJGESQ
Banned

Big Omega fan, but this watch reminds me of, well it just leaves me cold. Glad you like it.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2012, 10:02 PM   #13
webvan
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the review, I see one in my near future...I think ;-)

About production dates for the GEN2 I've read elsewhere that it was first introduced in 2003 and became widely available in 2004 with the last "public" year being 2005, is that correct?

One "mystery" I'm trying to solve too since that technical document was found last year (http://www.cousinsuk.com/PDF/categor...ega%201666.pdf) is the 1666 generation movement inside the X-33....Apparently the GEN1 had the 1666A and the 1666B and the GEN2 had the 1666B and 1666C (thermocompensated). No markings on the movement though so the only way to test would be to verify that the calibration procedure of TEST1 works...
webvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2012, 11:20 PM   #14
Kringkily
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster, Rolex
I believe the 1666A was used in the Gen 1, the 1666B was used in the I forget boat race thingie, and the 1666C being the Gen 2. The 1666D is the thermo-compensated movement upgrade when you get the X-33 serviced.
Kringkily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2012, 12:45 AM   #15
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Nice!
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2012, 01:11 AM   #16
00Seven
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kringkily View Post
I believe the 1666A was used in the Gen 1, the 1666B was used in the I forget boat race thingie, and the 1666C being the Gen 2. The 1666D is the thermo-compensated movement upgrade when you get the X-33 serviced.
Correct. After bumping this thread I went and put on my X-33. One of my all-time-favorites:

00Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2012, 01:12 AM   #17
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Thanks for the review, its a interesting watch for sure. What is your take on the new z-33?
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2012, 02:10 AM   #18
Kelly's
"TRF" Member

From further up the thread regarding the difficulty of pulling the crown on the Gen 1 to set functions: the same thing can be accomplished by holding in the crown for 2 seconds rather than pulling it out. Much easier on the fingernails.
Kelly's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2012, 01:00 PM   #19
Transient
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
great write up on a very interesting watch. i remember when it was released in the mid nineties I used to see pics of Ralf Schumacher wearing one.
Transient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2012, 05:47 PM   #20
webvan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kringkily View Post
That would make sense but I don't think anyone's been able to substantiate this with facts/movement pics. All we know for a fact so far is that no one has been able to regulate their X-33 using the TEST1 mode in the service manual available at CousinsUK : http://www.cousinsuk.com/PDF/categor...ega%201666.pdf - granted those who have recently had their X-33 serviced haven't chanced it due to the two-year warranty.
Old 21 October 2012, 09:58 AM   #21
NewportBeachWatches

Watch: ROLEX
Great article. I have a new watch on my list now. Didn't know this watch was that featured pack, certified by NASA, and with a loud alarm. Thanks for sharing.
NewportBeachWatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2012, 03:21 AM   #22
Kelly's
"TRF" Member

The alarm is amazing. I was using it yesterday with the countdown timer and my daughters both said 'Wow, is that ever annoying!'.
Kelly's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2012, 03:49 AM   #23
Kringkily
"TRF" Member

Yeah when I got the first couple in my possession I was messing around with the alarm to see if I could hear it over cooking, watching tv, music playing. It is loud! lol
Old 23 October 2012, 03:51 AM   #24
webvan
"TRF" Member

Is it actually the "loudest" alarm on a watch? I was impressed by the Z-33's sound (huge echo chamber in the back) but didn't have an X-33 handy to compare it to. The X-33's alarm is rated at 80dB minimum...the Z-33's is not rated oddly enough.
Old 23 October 2012, 05:23 AM   #25
dieseldragon
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ω & ♛
certainly the coolest non-auto watch out there!
Old 24 October 2012, 11:36 PM   #26
doc_colton
"TRF" Member

Great post and it answered my question as to what the differences were between the Gen 1 and 2 X-33's are. I'm possibly buying a Gen 1 myself.

With regards to the battery life the manual says 24 months normal use of functions and back light and alarm and 36 without. Are these estimates accurate in the real world? Does changing the battery mean a trip to Swatch or can any competent watchmaker do it?
Old 25 October 2012, 12:16 AM   #27
Rockrolex

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_colton View Post
Great post and it answered my question as to what the differences were between the Gen 1 and 2 X-33's are. I'm possibly buying a Gen 1 myself.

With regards to the battery life the manual says 24 months normal use of functions and back light and alarm and 36 without. Are these estimates accurate in the real world? Does changing the battery mean a trip to Swatch or can any competent watchmaker do it?
That's about right. I generally only wear my Gen 1 when I walk or when I'm on the beach (to time when to turn over). I get at least 36 months on one battery. The last time I changed the battery, I also had it serviced. I took it into a local jeweler who sent it off to Omega for servicing. But I think any competent watchmaker should be able to do a battery swap.

As for the alarm, it is really loud. Enough so that I can easily hear it over the sound of the surf against the shore. That was one reason I wanted that watch - for the loud alarm. By contrast, my Casios (including my G-Shock) have alarms you can barely hear.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Old 25 October 2012, 12:58 AM   #28
Kringkily
"TRF" Member

Even you could change the battery. Just make sure you have the correct flat trip driver to minimize wear on the screws. Just remove mini screws, inner plate and then remove the battery by lifting it out of the movement. Be sure to wear rubber finger tip covers because you don't want to leave oils on the battery as that could be corrosive.

The x-33 is an amazing watch.
Old 8 November 2012, 05:44 AM   #29
MellyVinelli
"TRF" Member

I've had my x-33 from many years ago. Most likely gen1. It's been in a safe for years but only recently thought about it. I was too young to take good care of it and it's been sitting in the safe since likely '99 with it's original battery. I won't be back until Christmas with the key and as soon as I'm back i will bring it to have the battery swapped and then serviced. Really really hoping no leak.
MellyVinelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2012, 05:58 AM   #30
Rockrolex

I noticed the other day that my second hand is jumping every 5 seconds, so I know it's time for a battery change. I will take it to my local watchmaker next week sometime and have him put a new battery in since I'm not the DYI type.

Tosser Cabinet Member