The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 21 March 2012, 07:35 PM   #1
SeamasterGMT
"TRF" Member

Watch: DeepSea
Which SpeedMaster?

Hi Folks,

I'm considering buying a Speedy (I think every collection needs one). The question is, which is regarded as the best - Speedmaster Pro (manual wind) or the new Coaxial?
I'm a big fan of the coaxial escapement and can appreciate an automatic wind but something in my head says that the only authentic speedy is the manual wind???

Which do you guys consider as THE Speedmaster?

Edit: please post pics if you've got 'em.
Old 21 March 2012, 08:40 PM   #2
beaglehusky
"TRF" Member

I think the "best" one is going to come down to personal preference. I'm a sucker for limited/special editions and the Apollo XV (311.30.42.30.01.003) is my favorite Speedy followed closely by the "Snoopy" (3578.51.00) one. It all boils down to what you prefer, manual/automatic, hesalite/sapphire, etc.

I think the sapphire/automatic ones like the Speedmaster Date (323.32.40.40.06.001) or the ones with the reveal case back are beautiful pieces, but I prefer the ones I mentioned above.

Sorry about the blurry picture.

Enjoy the search!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Speedy-P.jpg (108.5 KB, 321 views)
beaglehusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2012, 08:46 PM   #3
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Nice pix.....I see you got the ....CHE in focus...

I have a Speedy sapphire sandwich but would buy a Speedy hesalite/sapphire second time round.
Some of the 'specials' are just getting to expensive IMO.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2012, 09:37 PM   #4
beaglehusky
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
Nice pix.....I see you got the ....CHE in focus...

I have a Speedy sapphire sandwich but would buy a Speedy hesalite/sapphire second time round.
Some of the 'specials' are just getting to expensive IMO.
I know, damn iPhone!!!

I agree that the "specials" are getting more expensive, thanks to suckers like yours truly. Once I find a "Snoopy" that I'm comfortable with I'm sure I'll be paying a premium. Oh well.

Here are a couple of (marginally) better pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Speedy.jpg (97.1 KB, 306 views)
File Type: jpg Speedya.jpg (78.3 KB, 308 views)
beaglehusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2012, 09:37 PM   #5
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
I like Eddie have the Saphire Sandwich. The one with the hesalite crystal would be the only other I would consider. The latest offering doesn't appeal to me, too thick and I like the original design.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2012, 10:06 PM   #6
mikkemus23
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/PAM
A Speedy is a "must" in every collection

I have two

Good luck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0575-1.jpg (68.0 KB, 306 views)
File Type: jpg JULEN2011087.jpg (57.6 KB, 303 views)
File Type: jpg OMEGABROADARROW003-1.jpg (53.1 KB, 302 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG1204-1.jpg (59.3 KB, 303 views)
mikkemus23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2012, 10:08 PM   #7
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
THE Speedmaster IMO is the moon watch with hesalite crystal IMO. Although I really like the new two register + date with a 8500 movement. Looks fantastic on a leather strap.
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2012, 10:16 PM   #8
impalass
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD / LV / Daytona
Manual wind, classic.

Bought mine new (1971, cal. 861) four cleanings and one overhaul later it still rocks imo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC10338.jpg (72.2 KB, 299 views)
File Type: jpg SDC10524.jpg (81.3 KB, 299 views)
File Type: jpg SDC10532.jpg (88.5 KB, 300 views)
impalass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2012, 10:30 PM   #9
jmsrolls
Banned

I've probably owned 40+ Speedmasters over the years with a couple of dozen being the Speedmaster Professional in its various iterations; i.e., LEs, hesalite, hesalite/sapphire, sapphire/sapphire, cal. 321, cal. 861, cal. 863, cal. 1861, cal. 1863.

For me, there is only one Speedmaster, the Professional, and the only Professional has a hesalite crystal. The sapphire crystal has a "gray halo" between the dial and the bezel that detracts from the beauty of the dial. The hesalite has a warmer look and feel. Yes, hesalite does scratch but scratches are easily polished out with some Polywatch or even toothpaste. I have owned my 47-year old 105.012 (same model worn by Armstrong and other moon walkers) for eight years and have only polished it once even though it is worn in regular rotation.

I do love the view of the manual movement through a display back and have installed them on both my Speedy Pros:

Of the modern Speedmaster Professionals, my favorite is the 3572.50 with hesalite crystal, sapphire display back, and cal. 1863 movement. Although discontinued with the introduction of the current 3573.50 some ten years ago, nice pre-owned examples are still available.

At Basel 2012, Omega introduced a special numbered (not limited) edition "First Omega in Space" to commemorate the Speedmaster worn by Schirra on his Mercury flight in 1962. It is a replica of the early smaller Speedmaster with straight lugs and no crown guards. Updated with the cal. 1861 movement, it is expected to be in great demand among watch collectors. I ordered one from my dealer immediately upon the announcement at Basel.

But bottom line: no other watch has the mystery and history of the Speedmaster Professional and no serious watch collection is complete without one.

Fr. John†
jmsrolls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2012, 10:49 PM   #10
Andrés G
"TRF" Member

Get a Speedy Pro and forget about the rest.
Andrés G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2012, 10:55 PM   #11
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsrolls View Post
I've probably owned 40+ Speedmasters over the years with a couple of dozen being the Speedmaster Professional in its various iterations; i.e., LEs, hesalite, hesalite/sapphire, sapphire/sapphire, cal. 321, cal. 861, cal. 863, cal. 1861, cal. 1863.

For me, there is only one Speedmaster, the Professional, and the only Professional has a hesalite crystal. The sapphire crystal has a "gray halo" between the dial and the bezel that detracts from the beauty of the dial. The hesalite has a warmer look and feel. Yes, hesalite does scratch but scratches are easily polished out with some Polywatch or even toothpaste. I have owned my 47-year old 105.012 (same model worn by Armstrong and other moon walkers) for eight years and have only polished it once even though it is worn in regular rotation.

I do love the view of the manual movement through a display back and have installed them on both my Speedy Pros:

Of the modern Speedmaster Professionals, my favorite is the 3572.50 with hesalite crystal, sapphire display back, and cal. 1863 movement. Although discontinued with the introduction of the current 3573.50 some ten years ago, nice pre-owned examples are still available.

At Basel 2012, Omega introduced a special numbered (not limited) edition "First Omega in Space" to commemorate the Speedmaster worn by Schirra on his Mercury flight in 1962. It is a replica of the early smaller Speedmaster with straight lugs and no crown guards. Updated with the cal. 1861 movement, it is expected to be in great demand among watch collectors. I ordered one from my dealer immediately upon the announcement at Basel.

But bottom line: no other watch has the mystery and history of the Speedmaster Professional and no serious watch collection is complete without one.

Fr. John†
Thanks for sharing. What is your take on the 8500 one?
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2012, 11:12 PM   #12
warrior
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by capote View Post
the speedmaster imo is the moon watch with hesalite crystal imo. Although i really like the new two register + date with a 8500 movement. Looks fantastic on a leather strap.
warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2012, 11:18 PM   #13
imono
"TRF" Member

There are a few rare Speedmaster models.
Here is one.
Speedmaster Ltd Edition 50th Anniversary.
Manual wind too.
Comes with special tools.

imono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2012, 11:46 PM   #14
teamlam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
THE Speedmaster IMO is the moon watch with hesalite crystal IMO. Although I really like the new two register + date with a 8500 movement. Looks fantastic on a leather strap.

my fav speedy...but this could easily be swayed if i were to get my hands on that new PO 45.5mm
teamlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2012, 11:52 PM   #15
mikkemus23
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/PAM
I have the 3572, love it. And the creamy dial Broad Arrow. I would also like to add a pre moon with the "step dial" one day.
mikkemus23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2012, 12:54 AM   #16
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

The Speedmaster Pro is the definitive Speedmaster, IMO, but the new cal. 9300 based Speedmaster Co-Axial is the first truly worthy automatic Speedmaster for quite some time. Either will be a great choice: arguably the Co-Axial will be a bit easier to live with, but I've been using my Speedy Pro as a daily wearer with no real problems - I personally quite like the little scratches and marks you get on the crystal, I don't like things to be too pristine!
The GMT Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2012, 12:59 AM   #17
jmsrolls
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for sharing. What is your take on the 8500 one?
Actually, it is the cal. 9300, not 8500, but I have the same problem with both: the case thickness required by the movements.

The thicker cases do not allow the watches to sit comfortably atop my 7 1/2" round wrist. The watches are top heavy and tend to slip from side-to-side.

The classic Speedy Pros with the Lemania movements allow the watches to caress the wrist with comfort.

Additionally, the iconic design of the standard dial makes for legibility far beyond all other chronographs.

Fr. John+
jmsrolls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2012, 03:16 AM   #18
SeamasterGMT
"TRF" Member

Watch: DeepSea
Quote:
Originally Posted by The GMT Master View Post
The Speedmaster Pro is the definitive Speedmaster, IMO, but the new cal. 9300 based Speedmaster Co-Axial is the first truly worthy automatic Speedmaster for quite some time. Either will be a great choice: arguably the Co-Axial will be a bit easier to live with, but I've been using my Speedy Pro as a daily wearer with no real problems - I personally quite like the little scratches and marks you get on the crystal, I don't like things to be too pristine!
What could I get the Speedy Pro for from an AD? Say, Eatons for example?
Old 22 March 2012, 03:24 AM   #19
The Joker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeamasterGMT View Post
What could I get the Speedy Pro for from an AD? Say, Eatons for example?
Retail for £2800 at the moment. When I got mine a year and half ago was £2200. Bloody prices just go up and up. Think there was a couple of shops at lakeside had a few hundred off in the sales month or so back. Think they were losing their authorised status and had to shift because of the boutiques.

I don't know what type of discount you could get, I didn't get any, I took 0% finance.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2012, 05:47 AM   #20
yessir69
2024 Pledge Member

My two favorites are:

OMEGA SPEEDMASTER BROAD ARROW 1957 REISSUE 3594.50.00
OMEGA SPEEDMASTER HB-SIA SOLAR IMPULSE 321.92.44.52.01.001
yessir69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2012, 06:18 AM   #21
tinpusher
"TRF" Member

I'm in the same boat that you're in. I bought a "great white gmt" thinking that it would satisfy my needs but if anything I want a speedy more than ever. I think that I might try and pick up a 50th anniversary edition since it has the sapphire crystal and the same back as the 3570.50 instead of the display back
tinpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2012, 11:59 AM   #22
rodrob59
"TRF" Member

Watch: YG DD 18238
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrés g View Post
get a speedy pro and forget about the rest.
x2
Old 23 March 2012, 12:14 PM   #23
Rpcody
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3573/BB
I want all of these.
Rpcody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2012, 03:23 PM   #24
Transient
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Speedy Pro, manual wind, every collection MUST have this watch...
Transient is offline   Reply With Quote