The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 31 March 2012, 10:44 AM   #1
Hamster
"TRF" Member

Mid-1950s Oyster Perpetual - Worth Repairing

Hi Guys,

I've never owned a Rolex before but have just inherited this one from my Dad so I'm an absolute novice (my current watch is a Casio). He basically had it forever so I'm guessing that it's a 1950s watch. I took it in the Brisbane Vintage Watch Repair for an opinion. In a repaired condition it apparently be worth around AUD $2,000 and to restore it would be a minimum of AUD$600. The watch is running and is keeping pretty good time.

Any information about the watch would be greatly appreciated as well as opinions on whether I should go to the expense of a restoration or just keep it in the bottom of a draw.

Last edited by Hamster; 31 March 2012 at 10:47 AM.. Reason: Additional comment
Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2012, 12:03 PM   #2
Alcan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your P's & Q's
That watch is not of Rolex manufacture, its a poor quality counterfeit.
Member #1,315

I don't want to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol IS a solution!
Alcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2012, 01:29 PM   #3
jjmcd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcan View Post
That watch is not of Rolex manufacture, its a poor quality counterfeit.
Disagree. It looks like a Rolex "Zephyr" from the mid-1950s. The reference numbers for Zephyrs are 1008, 9522, 6582, 9919 and 1009.

I haven't seen a Zephyr with the depth rating on the dial before, but there were a lot of dial variations in the 1950s that weren't documented.

A similar white dial Zephyr is a few watches down here: http://www.darlor-watch.com/rolex_watches_3.html

A black dial Zephyr is about 1/4th the way down here: http://www.bubblebackclub.com/pub_pr...ries_cat_id=13
jjmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2012, 05:12 PM   #4
Hamster
"TRF" Member

Guys,

Thanks for the opinions. It certainly looks like a Zephyr. There are some numbers around the side of the case where the band attaches that are too small for me to read. I'm guessing that a manufacturer wouldn't go to that much trouble.

Old 3 April 2012, 07:40 AM   #5
powerfunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1530
Although the resale of these may be only $2k give or take, anytime somebody (like me) buys a vintage piece with unknown service history for $2k, it's basically expected to spend several hundred on immediately servicing it.

My recommendation would be to find a friendly knowledgeable watchmaker on TRF, send it their way, and if anything is unoriginal or not as it should be, well, you'll only be out postage. Nice Zephyr!
powerfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2012, 08:00 AM   #6
pawnshopkiller
Banned

Watch: 16618
2k? Maybe 1200 bucks
pawnshopkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2012, 08:12 AM   #7
kyle L
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer I
Looks real, and an interesting one too. I think it's a 6582 Zephyr, here's another example.

Definitely get it fixed up, it's your dad's watch! I would leave the dial as is or get it cleaned somehow, but don't redial it.
kyle L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2012, 08:57 AM   #8
Hamster
"TRF" Member

Guys,

Thanks for the comments and the identification, very much appreciated. The watch for the immediate future will be safely kept and will ultimately I'll get it cleaned and overhauled.
Old 6 April 2012, 01:25 PM   #9
Lisa
"TRF" Member

Interesting! At my 30th high school class reunion last summer, an old friend was sporting a Zephyr. He had bought it in the late 1980s at a vintage jewelry shop. His had been redialed, and was missing the "crosshairs," though.

Very cool that you have this!
Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote