The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 10 April 2012, 04:43 AM   #1
nsquared
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Oysterdate
1984 Rolex Oysterdate - running fast

Hi all: I've been a long-time lurker here and really enjoy reading all about Rolex. I had never owned one, but recently bought my first piece: a vintage 1984 Oysterdate. I don't have photos yet and will post some soon.

Here's my issue: I purchased this watch from a watch store that also specializes in selling pre-owned luxury timepieces. When I purchased the watch a few days ago I was told that the watch had undergone a complete service and cleaning. However the watch is running very fast, a fact I started to notice on the first night I had it. I decided to time the watch when I wound and set it the next morning. 24 hours later I compared the time and it's running a full 5 minutes fast!

I emailed the store and they told me that this is not uncommon in a newly serviced watch, and that I should give it a week or two to see if it 'settles' and starts keeping accurate time. I've heard of watching sometimes needing some time to settle in, but running 5 minutes fast seems REALLY fast.

Is this common? Should I just wait and see if the watch fixes itself? Any advice anyone can give would be helpful. I really don't want to have to ship the watch back to have them adjust it. Thanks
nsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2012, 04:04 PM   #2
eag310
"TRF" Member

Five minutes is a lot in 24hrs. A few seconds + or - is okay per day but not 5 minutes a day.
Send it back and have them adjust the timing. A week or two for it to "settle" is comical no need to wait, its either right or wrong.

Ask the store to send you a prepaid label.
Old 12 April 2012, 11:23 PM   #3
nsquared
"TRF" Member

That's what I thought but need to hear what the experts on here thought. Thanks eag310 for the info.
Old 13 April 2012, 10:12 PM   #4
Rikki
TechXpert

Watch: 5512 s/s Sub
Bull S**T the watch if serviced and timed will vary only seconds from it's regulation not minutes. Rikki
Rolex Parts Account Holder.
Rikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2012, 03:49 AM   #5
nsquared
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the replys. I just dropped it today at a local Rolex dealer with in-house Rolex repairmen so I'll see what they say. Hopefully it's an easy fix.
Old 14 April 2012, 09:25 PM   #6
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikki View Post
Bull S**T the watch if serviced and timed will vary only seconds from it's regulation not minutes. Rikki
Have to agree possible oil on the hairspring, and did you fully manual wind the watch to start.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2012, 11:21 PM   #7
nsquared
"TRF" Member

Yes, fully wound each morning. And I set the time each morning using a quartz watch for over a week and it was consistently 5 min fast.
Old 20 April 2012, 03:53 AM   #8
nsquared
"TRF" Member

Quick question... I have never had a watch serviced for a timing issue and it's been at the watch shop being looked at for a while now. Friday 20th it will have been there 7 days. Is this a normal time-frame for this type of work? Anxious to get it back on my wrist.
Old 26 April 2012, 07:47 AM   #9
nsquared
"TRF" Member

Well, received back from the local repair shop and they said it needs servicing. Sent it back to the shop I purchased it from. They promised it back to me in a week. Can't wait to get it back on my wrist!