The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 19 April 2012, 02:35 AM   #1
TattooedGQ
"TRF" Member

Watch: yo self!
Anyone use Linux??

Hey guys..my home desktop (windows 7) is getting the dreaded blinking underscore during boot. So far, I haven't been able to successfully recover the OS, and I can't find my restore CD....So when i decide to give up I'm thinking about running Ubuntu. Does anyone have any experience with it...should I make the switch??
Breitling: And some of these.
TattooedGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2012, 02:38 AM   #2
wantonebad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
That's quite a jump, and not at all like windows. Have you used anything other than windows before?

You should be able to get a windows recovery CD from your manufacturer or from website that specialize in recovery media, have looked around for it? Tried e-bay?

****EDITED TO ADD

Don't get me wrong, I have an Ubuntu box on my network for testing and i do like it, I just don't think anyone should make it their everyday OS without trying it first, JMHO.
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2012, 02:58 AM   #3
TattooedGQ
"TRF" Member

Yes, I've used whatever MAC OS on my girlfriends computer several times, and I don't really care for it. And I've been booting a Linux version off of a CD for the past couple of days. It seems very windows-esque with different terminology. I was able to easily find and back up my files to a portable hard drive through Linux, which is why I was contemplating the switch....but at the end of the day I really do like windows 7.

Honestly I haven't tried the HP site yet, maybe I'll get lucky with something I can download.
Old 19 April 2012, 03:41 AM   #4
wantonebad

Yeah you don't want to download anything unless your fimiliar with building a bootable image and have another box to build it on. Other possibilities are booting from a second machine vs. network or storage device. Short of that I would seek the disk(s). It's just much easier. Does your PC have a recover image or partition? Have you read the use manual?
Old 19 April 2012, 05:35 AM   #5
TattooedGQ
"TRF" Member

yes, it does have a recover partition, and I didn't read the user manual, that got tossed with the box. For some reason I haven't been able to get the recovery program to recognize the partition. USUALLY, I'm pretty computer savvy and I typically play the computer fix-it-geek for my friends and family...but this time it just has me stumped...and it's probably something ridiculously simple that i'm overlooking.

Thanks for the help btw!
Old 19 April 2012, 05:51 AM   #6
Esexx
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing TRF All Day
Sorry, can't help you there but your post brought back memories of the glory days. Building computers, networking 3 computers, LAN parties and lack of responsibility...
Attached Images
File Type: png Tux.png (11.6 KB, 71 views)

Old 19 April 2012, 05:51 AM   #7
wantonebad

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedGQ View Post
yes, it does have a recover partition, and I didn't read the user manual, that got tossed with the box. For some reason I haven't been able to get the recovery program to recognize the partition. USUALLY, I'm pretty computer savvy and I typically play the computer fix-it-geek for my friends and family...but this time it just has me stumped...and it's probably something ridiculously simple that i'm overlooking.

Thanks for the help btw!
For HP's I think you access the recovery console by either hitting "F10" or "F11" during the BiOS boot, this should bring up the recovery console or a form of the BiOS that will allow you access the recovery console, I mean the HP console not Windows.

If that doesn't work try googling your HP model number and "recovery" for more in depth info. If you've already tried this I apologize I just assume that we should start at the beginning.
Old 19 April 2012, 06:52 AM   #8
TattooedGQ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esexx View Post
Sorry, can't help you there but your post brought back memories of the glory days. Building computers, networking 3 computers, LAN parties and lack of responsibility...
Sounds like college..or at least a part of it when i wasn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantonebad View Post
For HP's I think you access the recovery console by either hitting "F10" or "F11" during the BiOS boot, this should bring up the recovery console or a form of the BiOS that will allow you access the recovery console, I mean the HP console not Windows.

If that doesn't work try googling your HP model number and "recovery" for more in depth info. If you've already tried this I apologize I just assume that we should start at the beginning.

I saw that today when I was wasting time at work....I'm going to try it tonight. Thanks again Marc.
Old 19 April 2012, 07:15 AM   #9
conrail
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That's quite a jump, and not at all like windows. Have you used anything other than windows before?

You should be able to get a windows recovery CD from your manufacturer or from website that specialize in recovery media, have looked around for it? Tried e-bay?

****EDITED TO ADD

Don't get me wrong, I have an Ubuntu box on my network for testing and i do like it, I just don't think anyone should make it their everyday OS without trying it first, JMHO.
x2 Love Ubuntu and am partial to command-line O/S w/o GUI interfaces, but I wouldn't use anything other than Win7 for my day-to-day uses.
Old 19 April 2012, 07:16 AM   #10
conrail
"TRF" Member

"Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100 mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had."

- Linus Torvalds
Old 19 April 2012, 07:42 AM   #11
signcarver
Banned

Watch: 116610LN
Sorry for your troubles... :(
just curious, did you by any chance run a registry cleaner.

I can't be sure but i think that trashed my Windows 7 OS. After reading more about Windows 7 most experts recommend you don't use a registry cleaner with it.
signcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2012, 02:44 PM   #12
FNFZ4
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: None
Quote:
Hey guys..my home desktop (windows 7) is getting the dreaded blinking underscore during boot. So far, I haven't been able to successfully recover the OS, and I can't find my restore CD....So when i decide to give up I'm thinking about running Ubuntu. Does anyone have any experience with it...should I make the switch??
could you tell me who is the manufacturer of you desktop. Ill send you a restore CD.

Watches:
Patek 5205G | Patek 5167A | 16613 Serti | 116718 Green | 216570 Black | 16700 Pepsi

Wish list:
Patek 5726/1 | AP RG Ceramic | Patek 5712 | Patek 5130
FNFZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2012, 02:48 PM   #13
FNFZ4
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by signcarver View Post

I can't be sure but i think that trashed my Windows 7 OS. After reading more about Windows 7 most experts recommend you don't use a registry cleaner with it.
Quote:

the first thing that I would do is go to the Bios and check if the HDD is detected since its a blinking cursor.

Then I would try to restore defaults in the Bios.

you said it has a recovery partition, have you tried to restore the factory image? pm me if you need further help.

Watches:
Patek 5205G | Patek 5167A | 16613 Serti | 116718 Green | 216570 Black | 16700 Pepsi

Wish list:
Old 19 April 2012, 02:57 PM   #14
tranny
Banned

Watch: 116509,A21330,MVQV
I use Linux 8 hours a day; I am a web programmer by trade. However, I use it command-line in a Virtual Machine terminal running on Windows 7. I've had an Ubuntu laptop in the past, and I found the UI nice enough, but I prefer the Windows UX a little better (I'm used to it), which is why I run things this way.

Here's the thing: if you're considering Ubuntu... it's not Windows. It's not Mac OS. Most of the things you want to do will be easy enough to figure out. But one day, you'll run into an issue, and the fix will require more than pointing and clicking. You'll have to open a terminal window and manually edit some config somewhere. It'll be really scary. You won't have a hotline to call for help. You'll have to use Google and do some research, and maybe even a couple hours of trial and error.

If that sounds like an experience you want to avoid, stay with Windows, or better yet, get a Mac, which will give you a nice *nix terminal with a highly polished UI wrapping it. Ubuntu is best for people who don't mind getting their hands a little dirty.
tranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2012, 09:26 PM   #15
tranny
Banned

By the way, if you decide to go with Ubuntu, I highly suggest Libre Office be your first install. It's not MS Office, but it's pretty nice. Better than Open Office in my opinion.

Cool thing you'll like about Ubuntu.... finding and installing software is a unique experience. The Aptitude installer is a lot like an app store... it'll allow you to search, choose, and install your software in a single interface.
Old 20 April 2012, 12:34 AM   #16
TattooedGQ
"TRF" Member

Thanks Alfred PM Sent....

And thanks for the tips Steve....I was playing with Ubuntu last night. it seems pretty nifty....but one thing I can't do is go Mac....I'm a hater what can I say hahah!!

Once I get windows back, I think I'm either going to put it on one of my older laptops just to play with it....If I can't get windows back, onto the desktop it goes!

Thanks again guys!
Old 20 April 2012, 12:49 AM   #17
White_Au
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks Alfred PM Sent....

And thanks for the tips Steve....I was playing with Ubuntu last night. it seems pretty nifty....but one thing I can't do is go Mac....I'm a hater what can I say hahah!!

Once I get windows back, I think I'm either going to put it on one of my older laptops just to play with it....If I can't get windows back, onto the desktop it goes!

Thanks again guys!
after you get Windows back get vmware then make a virtual linux machine on your windows box.
White_Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2012, 01:06 AM   #18
tranny
Banned

Quote:
one thing I can't do is go Mac....I'm a hater what can I say hahah!!
I'm with you on that! I'm a hater too lol. Sad thing is I own 2 macs, an iPod nano watch, an iPhone, and an apple tv. Not sure how I accumulated all this apple junk being a self-proclaimed hater!!!
Old 20 April 2012, 01:17 AM   #19
TattooedGQ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_Au View Post
after you get Windows back get vmware then make a virtual linux machine on your windows box.
Good idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by transio View Post
I'm with you on that! I'm a hater too lol. Sad thing is I own 2 macs, an iPod nano watch, an iPhone, and an apple tv. Not sure how I accumulated all this apple junk being a self-proclaimed hater!!!
HAHAHA....to be fair they ARE good products, I just hate the hipster image...I'm guilty of having an ipod myslf.....which I've been using less and less now that I have Google music streaming uploaded songs to my Galaxy S2.
Old 20 April 2012, 03:03 AM   #20
wantonebad

No luck with the recovery console huh?
Old 20 April 2012, 05:59 AM   #21
FNFZ4
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I use Linux 8 hours a day; I am a web programmer by trade. However, I use it command-line in a Virtual Machine terminal running on Windows 7. I've had an Ubuntu laptop in the past, and I found the UI nice enough, but I prefer the Windows UX a little better (I'm used to it), which is why I run things this way.

Here's the thing: if you're considering Ubuntu... it's not Windows. It's not Mac OS. Most of the things you want to do will be easy enough to figure out. But one day, you'll run into an issue, and the fix will require more than pointing and clicking. You'll have to open a terminal window and manually edit some config somewhere. It'll be really scary. You won't have a hotline to call for help. You'll have to use Google and do some research, and maybe even a couple hours of trial and error.

If that sounds like an experience you want to avoid, stay with Windows, or better yet, get a Mac, which will give you a nice *nix terminal with a highly polished UI wrapping it. Ubuntu is best for people who don't mind getting their hands a little dirty.
I would recommend Fedora.

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_Au View Post
Bro the best the free one is called Virtual Box by Oracle.

Quote:
Good idea!

HAHAHA....to be fair they ARE good products, I just hate the hipster image...I'm guilty of having an ipod myslf.....which I've been using less and less now that I have Google music streaming uploaded songs to my Galaxy S2.
Goodluck on your project...

Watches:

Wish list:
Old 20 April 2012, 06:43 AM   #22
TattooedGQ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conrail View Post
"Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100 mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had."

- Linus Torvalds
That Sir, is an amazing visual!

Quote:
Originally Posted by signcarver View Post

Nope, just shut it down one day and kaput....

Quote:
No luck with the recovery console huh?
Nah..it won't even go into the HP one with the F11 press (eventhough it says it on the splash.

And Thanks again for everyone's help....seriously....TRF's chock full of good folks....Alfred's helping me out in a big way, so I'll let everyone know how it goes.
Old 20 April 2012, 09:56 AM   #23
BarkMaster
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18078 YG DD
Some tools are only available on the Linux platform, so yes I do some work with it. The vast majority of my time is spent on Windows platforms. Sometime I have reason to boot a virtual version of one in the other, but that's rare... generally I just spin up a virtual instance of the host OS and work from that.
Old 20 April 2012, 11:12 AM   #24
renfield33
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II Pepsi
ubuntu works fine, but it sounds like your hard drive is dying. it's probably not going to work until you replace it anyway.
Old 20 April 2012, 11:36 AM   #25
tranny
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNFZ4 View Post
I would recommend Fedora.
I've used RedHat a bit for servers, though my preference is Ubuntu (more used to it). What kind of GUI is Fedora running these days? I was under the impression Ubuntu had the most user-friendly interface?
Quote:
Bro the best the free one is called Virtual Box by Oracle.
+1 That's what I use.
Old 20 April 2012, 12:37 PM   #26
FNFZ4
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I've used RedHat a bit for servers, though my preference is Ubuntu (more used to it). What kind of GUI is Fedora running these days? I was under the impression Ubuntu had the most user-friendly interface?
+1 That's what I use.
Bro I use the command line.. not so much as GUI person when it comes to Linux. I cant say I am an expert with it though. Just a normal user and regular installations of servers and configurations. I am a windows environment engineer but I can hold a bit with RedHat.

Virtual Box is your best bet on all OS versions. It is very stable.

Watches:

Wish list:
Old 20 April 2012, 12:50 PM   #27
tranny
Banned

Quote:
Bro I use the command line.. not so much as GUI person when it comes to Linux.
Me too, but I think the OP was looking for a GUI OS for his PC. Edit: Ah, I see... you were suggesting that *I* use Fedora! Any particular reason you like it better than Ubuntu?
Old 24 April 2012, 11:10 PM   #28
TattooedGQ
"TRF" Member

Hey Guys....I just wanted to update you guys. Thanks to everyone and especially Alfred (FNFZ4) I'm back up and running....Yet another example of how TRF and it's members kick ass!

Big thanks guys!
Old 25 April 2012, 12:35 AM   #29
White_Au
"TRF" Member

Quote:
+1 That's what I use.
I haven't messed with that stuff in a while so I wasn't aware of the free stuff.
Old 25 April 2012, 12:35 AM   #30
White_Au
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hey Guys....I just wanted to update you guys. Thanks to everyone and especially Alfred (FNFZ4) I'm back up and running....Yet another example of how TRF and it's members kick ass!

Big thanks guys!
now make a backup!!