The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 June 2012, 04:21 AM   #1
Auragentum
"TRF" Member

"Bargain" shopping for Explorer II 16570 - Help me decide which one to go for.

So I have been looking to supplement my small Rolex collection with the discontinued Explorer II with white dial. Recently picked up a gorgeous YM but still haven't forgotten about the polar explorer which I have been eyeballing for quite some time.

So I am in a situation where I managed to track down a BNIB random series Explorer II from an AD, which I can purchase at what I consider a very attractive price - the equivalent of approx. $5,700 USD at today's exchange rate.

Alternatively I have a private but reputable seller at hand which has offered me a mint 2007 Z-series (with engraved rehaut) including b/p at approx. $4,400 USD.

Now for some of you it may be a no brainer as to which to choose, in which case I would appreciate you stating the obvious

But which one do you think gives the biggest bang for your buck? Btw, I plan on keeping it, but selling or trading it in for something else could happen in the future (2-3 years time).

So let me know... which one would you get and why?
Auragentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2012, 04:50 AM   #2
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
I'm all done with buying new watches. Worse than a car for initial depreciation. Even if I keep it for a while and flip - or keep it forever - I'm usually still ahead (less a service, probably) because I'm not paying sales tax on the amount, in this case, $5700. Of course, if you're not in the USA at time of purchase, that may not be an issue for you. But in this case, if the 2007 is just as nice as the new one, and one can assume that a service would cost less than then $1300 difference, then you come out ahead buying the used one.

One could argue that selling the newer one will net you more than selling the 5 year old watch - true - but I'd wager that the difference will still be less than $1300 and you're still better off buying used.

That's my opinion. It is, as always, worth twice what you paid for it.
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2012, 05:04 AM   #3
theloxmyth
Banned

I bought one ExpyII here and I bought one from an AD.

LawrenceB:

Both work very well (they're Rolex quality!) and the cost difference was substantial. ($2000+ NIB w/ AD warranty...BUT it was the last Polar ExpyII in the company!)

Local AD:

BUT, another purchase was made from an AD at half off:

All experiences were very satisfying, even spending $2000 more (probably) rather than buying from a trusted seller here.

Go with your best thought.

theloxmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2012, 05:45 AM   #4
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

That's a tough one. $1,300 is a lot of cash......
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2012, 05:56 AM   #5
Auragentum
"TRF" Member

Thanks all - I am now more confused than ever!

But good points. For $1300 you can certainly buy full service and a nice polish in the future and still have cash to spare.

I don't live in the US and actual transaction prices on new watches are generally a fair bit higher, so $5700 is definitely a very good price if buying a new 16570 from an AD. That is if you can still find one.

It may not be justifiable reasons for everyone - but by buying the new one from the AD there is of course the updated 3186 movement, 2 years AD warranty (just in case) and perhaps being the last series before discontinuation counts a tiny bit as well. Am I missing anything else?

I am currently leaning towards the new one, but still a bit flaky in my thoughts

Need some more persuasion in either direction Decision will be made in the next few days.
Old 1 June 2012, 06:00 AM   #6
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
I would go BNIB, its so nice with a box fresh watch. However you will lose cash if you flip it later on. All depends on how commited you are I guess. Edit: I think late Z have 3186 movement as well, but that has not commanded a premium in the same way as with the 16710.
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2012, 06:02 AM   #7
Auragentum
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capote View Post
I would go BNIB, its so nice with a box fresh watch. However you will lose cash if you flip it later on. All depends on how commited you are I guess.
Thanks!

How much can you get a last serial BNIB for in Sweden?

As I have a good feeling the 16570 will be appreciating in price due to discontinuation I am hoping a new one at a good purchase price would not lose money when potentially flipping.
Old 1 June 2012, 06:04 AM   #8
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

One additional thought, since you are already walking into this thinking you might be flipping in 2-3 years, I'd think getting the pre-owned would be the way to go.

Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2012, 06:04 AM   #9
dimster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I would go BNIB, its so nice with a box fresh watch. However you will lose cash if you flip it later on. All depends on how commited you are I guess. Edit: I think late Z have 3186 movement as well, but that has not commanded a premium in the same way as with the 16710.
Agreed. Buying BNIB is an experience.
With BNIB you know the watch hasn't been on someones sweaty wrist for 5 years.
dimster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2012, 06:10 AM   #10
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auragentum View Post
Thanks!

How much can you get a last serial BNIB for in Sweden?

As I have a good feeling the 16570 will be appreciating in price due to discontinuation I am hoping a new one at a good purchase price would not lose money when potentially flipping.
I think the last MSRP in Sweden was SEK 52000
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2012, 06:16 AM   #11
Auragentum
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think the last MSRP in Sweden was SEK 52000
Thanks. That is more than $7200 USD at current exchange rates.

Keeping this in mind how much do you think you would be able to buy it at with discounts and how much would you expect the flipping price to be at, say 2 years down the line?

I am not disputing you - just trying to follow your logic when saying you would lose money if flipping it.
Old 1 June 2012, 06:27 AM   #12
p_mcgee
"TRF" Member

$4,500 should buy you a nice clean Exp II from a reputable seller on the forums, so that's what I'd do. Apply the savings to your next watch.
p_mcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2012, 09:59 AM   #13
azguy
Banned

Watch: ---------
I would buy the Z and save the $1,300, same watch, just give it a bath
azguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2012, 01:00 PM   #14
gimpex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub C LV / Exp II
I would go for BNIB.

Chances are good it will still be 5700 in 5 years time , just like the 2007one will be 4400 by then. Taking the cost of one service into account makes the gap too little to consider the older ( used / worn / scratched / sweated in ) watch.
gimpex is offline   Reply With Quote